What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Sweet Science Thread*** (4 Viewers)

That's gonna be a controversial decision. I don't disagree with it, that fight could've gone either way. But the two points deducted for pushoffs cost Khan the title. Wow.

Khan was whining like a b**ch in the post fight interview. :lmao: But he should be mad. that ref was really bad. He should have been in there breaking them up instead of barking orders and deducting points. especially in a title fight. Kudos to peterson though. he came to fight.

Khan was whining like a b**ch in the post fight interview. :lmao: But he should be mad. that ref was really bad. He should have been in there breaking them up instead of barking orders and deducting points. especially in a title fight. Kudos to peterson though. he came to fight.
I thought it was a great ref job.

Havent checked out this thread since over a week ago because I didnt want to know who won Cotto/Margarito, and for once, actually pulled that off going into last night. I actually had it 3-2 Cotto after 5, but Cotto won every round after that. Considering the fight wasnt within reach the last few rounds, Im surprised the Dr didnt stop it a round or 2 earlier. I like the idea of Cotto-Martinez ilove80's, although I think its a bad matchup for Cotto with how much bigger Sergio is.

Mares-Agbeko was also pretty good. I actually had it close at 115-113 giving Agbeko a few mid-late rounds, but definitely thought Mares did enough to win. Ridiculous that all 3 judges had it 118-110, IIRC.

Never seen/heard of Seth Mitchell before last night. I dont think such an early TKO against a guy never KO'd should be taken lightly here. Interested to see how this former-MSU LB pans out. Guy looked like he had really good speed for a HW and certainly good power.

Khan-Peterson was awesome. Im going to have to watch it again less intoxicated to score it again, but I think I had it 4-1 Peterson after 5, and I think most rounds after that were back and forth, so I dont have a problem at all with the decision. That said, even though it was in Peterson's hometown, Im still surprised he got the decision over the undisputed #1 welter in such a close fight. A rematch would be an easy call for his next week, but Id almost rather see Peterson-Bradley II has Bradley dominated him in a 12 round decision, IIRC winning like 11 rounds clearly. Thats what makes last night's performance by Peterson even more surprising for me.

That's gonna be a controversial decision. I don't disagree with it, that fight could've gone either way. But the two points deducted for pushoffs cost Khan the title. Wow.
Khan didnt deserve to get credit for a knockdown in round 1 though, so it was basically a wash in that department.

Who do you guys follow on Twitter?
@boxingtruth@RingJunkies@Seckbach@DanRafaelespnThose are all decent follows. John Chavez at Boxing Truth rewatched the fight and came up with some interesting facts:- Khan clinched 43 times and 2 pushed with 2 hands 49 times between rounds 3 and 12. - Khan was warned after 6 pushes and 11 pushes, given a hard warning after 12 and had the point taken after the 16th push.- After the 37th push, ref gave a warning, point deducted at the 44th push- Khan pushed 5 more times after the 2nd point deduction. I liked the way the ref handled the fight. I am sick of fighters holding inside and then looking at the ref for separate them. What did everyone here think?

Who do you guys follow on Twitter?
@boxingtruth@RingJunkies@Seckbach@DanRafaelespnThose are all decent follows. John Chavez at Boxing Truth rewatched the fight and came up with some interesting facts:- Khan clinched 43 times and 2 pushed with 2 hands 49 times between rounds 3 and 12. - Khan was warned after 6 pushes and 11 pushes, given a hard warning after 12 and had the point taken after the 16th push.- After the 37th push, ref gave a warning, point deducted at the 44th push- Khan pushed 5 more times after the 2nd point deduction. I liked the way the ref handled the fight. I am sick of fighters holding inside and then looking at the ref for separate them. What did everyone here think?
Thanks for these, Rafael was the only one who I'm already following.

Super 6 Final Tonight on Showtime, Froch vs Ward. I don't expect it to be very entertaining because Ward tends to do way too much holding for me. Even though Ward is the American, I am pulling hard for Froch. I like his g/f, I like his mentality and I really don't want to see Ward clinching and grappling anymore.

This is the best I have ever seen Ward look. Froch needs get lucky, not sure he has the punching power to do it.

Id love to see Ward in there with some of the top middleweights. He is a very good fighter and I think he would cause problems for most anyone in the division. Just not sure why he doesnt go after bigger game.

Id love to see Ward in there with some of the top middleweights. He is a very good fighter and I think he would cause problems for most anyone in the division. Just not sure why he doesnt go after bigger game.
Froch is one of those guys I didnt respect at the beginning of the Super 6, but at this point I actually enjoy watching him fight and also respect his weird style. I had it 9-3 Ward and I gave Froch the 1-2 rounds that were close.I honestly dont think I ever saw Ward fight before the Super 6...He didnt take any other fights the last 2 years for obvious reasons, but now he's open to pursue whatever since the Super 6 is done. He's become 1 of my favorite fighters and a cant miss fighter during this time. Id love to see Ward-Martinez at whatever weight but it seems like Martinez is seeking the biggest name he can (I dont blame him)

Froch is one of those guys I didnt respect at the beginning of the Super 6, but at this point I actually enjoy watching him fight and also respect his weird style. I had it 9-3 Ward and I gave Froch the 1-2 rounds that were close.I honestly dont think I ever saw Ward fight before the Super 6...He didnt take any other fights the last 2 years for obvious reasons, but now he's open to pursue whatever since the Super 6 is done. He's become 1 of my favorite fighters and a cant miss fighter during this time. Id love to see Ward-Martinez at whatever weight but it seems like Martinez is seeking the biggest name he can (I dont blame him)
I've followed Ward since turning pro and he's progressively gotten better and better over the years. his handlers have brought him along very slow, and so far it looks to have paid off (in the ring). that said, @ 27, it's time for him to start taking bigger fights. He lacks star power/charisma and that will be a problem, but he is a top 10 P4P fighter IMO, and now is his time to shine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've followed Ward since turning pro and he's progressively gotten better and better over the years. his handlers have brought him along very slow, and so far it looks to have paid off (in the ring). that said, @ 27, it's time for him to start taking bigger fights. He lacks star power/charisma and that will be a problem, but he is a top 10 P4P fighter IMO, and now is his time to shine.
Who?There are only 2 fights that really make sense: Bute and Martinez. Ward doesn't seem interested in fighting Bute right now and Martinez doesn't want to move up in weight again to fight a guy with no fan base.

Ward has impressed me at times and also put me to sleep at times with all his clinching. He is a rough guy, but he does too much clinching, pushing, headbutting, and elbowing for my liking. I don't see too much power in his hands for 168 either. He may have won the tourney, but the path wasn't that tough. Froch, Abraham, Biko, and Green aren't impressive at all. That leaves Kessler as the only class guy he has taken out.

'Ilov80s said:
Ward has impressed me at times and also put me to sleep at times with all his clinching. He is a rough guy, but he does too much clinching, pushing, headbutting, and elbowing for my liking. I don't see too much power in his hands for 168 either. He may have won the tourney, but the path wasn't that tough. Froch, Abraham, Biko, and Green aren't impressive at all. That leaves Kessler as the only class guy he has taken out.
I think the clinching really depends on his strategy/opponent. He didnt do any of that last night. t doesnt appear to me he elbows or headbutts more than the average guy. I agree he has average power at best for a super MW, but Im not sure if any super MW can match his speed either (certainly Bute and Sergio dont) and his knowledge/talent/ring generalship is up there almost on a PBF level from what Ive seen.I dont get the downplaying of him winning the Super 6, especially since he didnt lose a fight in it. Abraham looked unbeatable almost before the tourney began and was the favorite to win, Froch while not appearing like a great fighter/talent had only lost to Kessler prior to last night (and never been dominated like Ward did). Bika's only losses besides a DQ since 2002 are against Calzaghe and Bute, Green is no slouch either and only had 1 loss before fighting Ward. For consecutive fights I dont see how he wouldve had tougher opponents in a 5 fight stretch outside of the tourney.

I think the clinching really depends on his strategy/opponent. He didnt do any of that last night. t doesnt appear to me he elbows or headbutts more than the average guy. I agree he has average power at best for a super MW, but Im not sure if any super MW can match his speed either (certainly Bute and Sergio dont) and his knowledge/talent/ring generalship is up there almost on a PBF level from what Ive seen.I dont get the downplaying of him winning the Super 6, especially since he didnt lose a fight in it. Abraham looked unbeatable almost before the tourney began and was the favorite to win, Froch while not appearing like a great fighter/talent had only lost to Kessler prior to last night (and never been dominated like Ward did). Bika's only losses besides a DQ since 2002 are against Calzaghe and Bute, Green is no slouch either and only had 1 loss before fighting Ward. For consecutive fights I dont see how he wouldve had tougher opponents in a 5 fight stretch outside of the tourney.
I agree that he wouldn't have had tougher fights without the tourney. It was a nice series of wins. Still, the competition he has faced doesn't warrant a spot on the Top 10 P4P like so many people are placing him. Look at the guys he beat: Green has never beaten a fighter anyone has ever heard of. Abraham was dismantled by Froch and Andre Dirrell. Abraham beat Jermain Taylor, but it came after Taylor had already lost 3 of his last 4 fights. Froch and Kessler were quality wins. The Super 6 lasted 2 years and he got 2 real quality wins. I think he beats Bute, but I think it is closer than Froch made it. Bute is a lot stronger and can do more damage inside than Froch. Froch has a long awkward style, but was too slow to land at a distance and his reach became a disadvantage when Ward got inside. I think it is a really tough fight for Sergio, but I don't think his problem would be speed. Sergio is quicker, more accurate, and a better all around puncher than Ward.

Green is the only guy Id call an easy win, but I think Ward is considered Top 10 P4P now not only because of the perceived quality of all of his wins in the Super 6, but how dominant he was in every single fight, at least half of which were certainly top level opponents.

http://espn.go.com/boxing/

ESPN has some cool stuff there- rank the KOs of the year, rounds of the year, etc.

Here are my rankings

KO of 2011:

this was the most vicious 1 shot of the year, but technically wasn't a KO since Montiel did get up, even if it was for just a few moments. Fighter of the Year: Andre Ward, not overly impressed with his 2 wins, but winning the Super 6 is just enough to edge past Brandon Rios for me.

Round of the Year: Kirkland vs Angulo Rd 1

Fight of the Year: Victor Ortiz vs Andre Berto

Current P4P:

1. Floyd

2. Manny

3. Sergio Martinez

4. Nonito Donaire

5. Juan Manuel Marquez

6. Timothy Bradley

7. Yuriorkis Gamboa

8. Vitali Klitschko

9. Miguel Cotto

10. Chris John

Surprised you have Vitali over Wlad, and no BHop or Bute.

On another note, Andre Dirrell and Jermain Taylor both looked good (especially Dirrell) in their comeback fights the other night. Interested to see their next fights. JT shouldve never jumped to super MW.

'Steve Tasker said:
####, Torres just got the #### beaten out of him by Provodnikov on FNF...he's still down
Great pair of fights on ESPN last night. The Asian and African fighters went at it hard, that was real impressive. There is a lot of boxing coming up with ESPN FNF, NBC's Fight Night, Showtime and HBO fights coming up. Berto v Ortiz 2 is just 21 weeks away

'Steve Tasker said:
####, Torres just got the #### beaten out of him by Provodnikov on FNF...he's still down
Great pair of fights on ESPN last night. The Asian and African fighters went at it hard, that was real impressive. There is a lot of boxing coming up with ESPN FNF, NBC's Fight Night, Showtime and HBO fights coming up. Berto v Ortiz 2 is just 21 weeks away
I thought Berto/Ortiz was next month?Whats NBC Fight Night?

'Steve Tasker said:
Berto/Ortiz is 2 weeks from today, Feb. 11th. I think that's a typo from ilov80s.NBC Fight Night (or whatever it's called) is the new feature on NBC Sports Network (formerly known as Versus). Seems like it'll be a regular feature a la FNF, except on Saturday nights. It premiered last Saturday night, I can't remember who fought, though. I watched it....the coverage wasn't quite as good as ESPN's coverage, but it was a lot better than I was expecting. The fighters were fairly low-quality and the fights weren't anything particularly great. I think it ran from either 9-11 or 10-12 ET.Looks like it's not on this week, though, in lieu of the NHL All-Star Weekend festivities.

'Steve Tasker said:
Berto/Ortiz is 2 weeks from today, Feb. 11th. I think that's a typo from ilov80s.NBC Fight Night (or whatever it's called) is the new feature on NBC Sports Network (formerly known as Versus). Seems like it'll be a regular feature a la FNF, except on Saturday nights. It premiered last Saturday night, I can't remember who fought, though. I watched it....the coverage wasn't quite as good as ESPN's coverage, but it was a lot better than I was expecting. The fighters were fairly low-quality and the fights weren't anything particularly great. I think it ran from either 9-11 or 10-12 ET.

Looks like it's not on this week, though, in lieu of the NHL All-Star Weekend festivities.
Yeah, it was a typo. FNF debut was alright IMO. Rosado looked legit in dismantling Soto-Karass. I had never heard of Rosado before, but Soto-Karass is a solid veteran. As for the main event, the heavyweights weren't real skilled, but they put on a good fight...better than either of the Klitschko's title defenses this year. I think think their next card is March 24 featuring Zab Judah fighting in his hometown of Brooklyn against

. I've seen Paris a few times since he fought a lot locally. He got a nice win on ESPN last summer and could get Judah out. Paris is an interesting story. Early in his career, he was shot 3x. He still has 2 bullets inside of him. I believe Chavez Jr is fighting Marc Antonio Rubio and Nonito Donaire vs Wilfredo Vasquesz Jr are next Saturday on HBO.

First Row Sports has apparently been seized by Homeland Security :unsure: .

Anyone have a link to tonight's fights? Two good ones...

Donaire/Vazquez about to get going, FYI..... :thumbup: Nonito
Very good fight here, as even as it gets through 8. 1 announcer has it dead-even, I've got 77-75 Donaire. Vazquez has been very strong in the last 4 rounds.
Donaire wins split decision, I had 116-111 in his favor.Donaire's left hand is extremely bloody, he thinks he injured it somewhere between the 2nd and the 4th, could be broken.

I really hate watching Chavez Jr. He's trading on his daddys name and refuses to fight anyone good. I can't wait for this imposter to get KTFO!

Very good fight here, as even as it gets through 8. 1 announcer has it dead-even, I've got 77-75 Donaire. Vazquez has been very strong in the last 4 rounds.
Donaire wins split decision, I had 116-111 in his favor.Donaire's left hand is extremely bloody, he thinks he injured it somewhere between the 2nd and the 4th, could be broken.
Donaire might be the best all around skilled boxer there is. He moved up in weight to fight a legit championship level fighter and Donaire toyed with him through the fight. Donaire spent much of the fight imitating Sergio Martinez, Roy Jones and Jack Dempsey. That is all well and good, but I am left wondering what is Nonito's style? Where is he? He seemed too content at times to look for a 1 punch KO. Maybe it was the hand, but it looked like his power at 122 was pretty average. He has the body to keep adding weight and moving up, but I don't like his chances if he is content to look for haymakers. The announcers were talking about Donaire-Gamboa, at this point, I like Gamboa by KO. I know Garcia is one of the hottest trainers in the business right now, but maybe Donaire should find someone new.

I really hate watching Chavez Jr. He's trading on his daddys name and refuses to fight anyone good. I can't wait for this imposter to get KTFO!
Rubio was a legit fight. I don't think Chavez is great, but he has grown on me. There are a lot of things to like: body punches, stamina, strength, heart. However, his biggest advantage right now is his ability to cut weight. He is so much naturally bigger and stronger than any MW out there.

I couldnt wait for the fight to end last night. JCC Jr is maybe the only fighter I have no interest in watching, certainly the only one who has a belt.Got home in the middle of HBO's broadcast last night so I missed the Donaire fight, I'll have to look for the replay.

Donaire might be the best all around skilled boxer there is. He moved up in weight to fight a legit championship level fighter and Donaire toyed with him through the fight. Donaire spent much of the fight imitating Sergio Martinez, Roy Jones and Jack Dempsey. That is all well and good, but I am left wondering what is Nonito's style? Where is he? He seemed too content at times to look for a 1 punch KO. Maybe it was the hand, but it looked like his power at 122 was pretty average. He has the body to keep adding weight and moving up, but I don't like his chances if he is content to look for haymakers. The announcers were talking about Donaire-Gamboa, at this point, I like Gamboa by KO. I know Garcia is one of the hottest trainers in the business right now, but maybe Donaire should find someone new.
Don't watch too much boxing outside of the big fights and Donaire, but does Vasquez have a reputation for having a good chin?Nonito did knock him down, but depnding on what happened to Donaire's left hand, his power didn't look like it transferred as well.

Don't watch too much boxing outside of the big fights and Donaire, but does Vasquez have a reputation for having a good chin?Nonito did knock him down, but depnding on what happened to Donaire's left hand, his power didn't look like it transferred as well.
That was the first time Vasquez had ever been down in his career and he wasn't hurt, got up before a 2 count. Donaire's power looked very average at that weight, however he was taking the shots well. I think Donaire will end up being a quick accurate puncher and that is where his power will come from (ala Marquez). His apparent super human strength was more likely a result of being such a bigger person. Donaire has the body of a 135-140 pounder and he was fighting guys that were more naturally 115-120 pounds. He was a 15%-20% bigger man than his opponents. ETA: you may have seen Vasquez before. He was on the undercard of the Mosley-Pac PPV. He fought Jorge Arce...it was a FOTY cantidate.

So we have some news recently on big fights being signed: Mayweather-Cotto, Pac-Bradley, Khan-Peterson 2, Berto-Ortiz 2 has been reschedule.

Also, lots of boxing coming up. Showtime has Paul Williams-Ishida, and Tarvoris Cloud on the 18th, HBO has Devon Alexander-Marcos Maidana and Adrien Broner on the 25th, FNF continues every Friday, Showbox has some good young fighters the next 2 fridays.

Users who are viewing this thread