What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Sweet Science Thread*** (4 Viewers)

Yeah, I flipped it on and was wondering why Diaz looked so familiar, then I realize he was David Diaz. I only remember him because he had a hometown fight for the belt in Erik Morales' last big fight a few years ago and Morales got jobbed on the scorecards (IMO). Diaz never impressed me, not surprised he got KTFO.

Mostly just want to see the headline fight because I remember Grady Brewer from The Contender.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I flipped it on and was wondering why Diaz looked so familiar, then I realize he was David Diaz. I only remember him because he had a hometown fight for the belt in Erik Morales' last big fight a few years ago and Morales got jobbed on the scorecards (IMO). Diaz never impressed me, not surprised he got KTFO.Mostly just want to see the headline fight because I remember Grady Brewer from The Contender.
Diaz knocked him down in the 4th and was pretty much in control until the mid-4th when that massive gash opened up over his right eye. I was surprised the ref let the fight go for so long.

Yeah, I flipped it on and was wondering why Diaz looked so familiar, then I realize he was David Diaz. I only remember him because he had a hometown fight for the belt in Erik Morales' last big fight a few years ago and Morales got jobbed on the scorecards (IMO). Diaz never impressed me, not surprised he got KTFO.Mostly just want to see the headline fight because I remember Grady Brewer from The Contender.
Diaz knocked him down in the 4th and was pretty much in control until the mid-4th when that massive gash opened up over his right eye. I was surprised the ref let the fight go for so long.
Were also talking FNF. Considering history, Id assume this Landry guy is an up and comer because I never heard of him, and Diaz is a "sort of name" and bam, there's the matchup.

Were also talking FNF. Considering history, Id assume this Landry guy is an up and comer because I never heard of him, and Diaz is a "sort of name" and bam, there's the matchup.
Your assumptions would be correct Kenny.

Andre Berto fighting on HBO tonight, probably will start in 30-45 minutes.

I missed the Ortiz/Berto fight, but this is his first fight back from the less. I dont think Berto has peaked yet, but Im surprised he got beat by Ortiz who Ive never really been all that impressed with, especially mentally/willpower.

...this Gary Russell dude on that undercard looks solid

Never heard of this guy Berto just beat, but it isnt easy to get a TKO in the 5th or whatever round it was at this level. Berto looked a lot more focused than I can remember seeing him. In the past, I felt like he relied on his speed to stack up wins against guys not as talented as him. In this fight, he look determined to end the fight ASAP.

Im shocked that Zaveck had a higher connect rate on total punches and power punches. It looked like Berto was dominating him. Just another reason to think compubox is total BS.

Gamboa-Ponce De Leon tonight on HBO...If Gamboa gets a KO it probably sets him up with a pretty big next fight. He's probably still another fight away from JuanMa or Chris John. Maybe a rematch with Salido next. Surprised its been over 3 yrs since JuanMa Lopez KO'd Ponce De Leon

Dont post anything about Klitschko-Adamek unless you give it a spoiler since they are re-airing it tonight before the Gamboa fight.

Gamboa looked dominating against PDL. Cant wait for his next fight.

I also cant wait for Mayweather-Ortiz tomorrow night. Ortiz is easily the biggest and most powerful guy Floyd has fought in recent memory. This could be an interesting fight, and although Im still not sold on Ortiz, I could actually see him beating PBF thanks to his size and power. Gotta use the jab though.

Here is a schedule of the remaining big fights for October of 2011:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnFk7eE-_H4

Oct 15 Bernard Hopkins vs Chad Dawson at LHW on PPV

- As much as I love Hopkins and as serious of an opponent as Dawson is, the styles won't make for a very entertaining fight and definitely not a fight worth PPV money. HBO basically maxed out their boxing budget this year and was forced to make this a PPV. It is too bad because Hopkins has been fighting a more offensive style lately and is coming off 2 really fun fights against Pascal. The hardened veteran again faces a younger, faster, and stronger opponent. Two years ago, Dawson was considered the man to beat at Light Heavyweight. He can reclaim that position with a win over the Executioner. A win for Hopkins forces fans to reconsider his ranking among the all time greats.

Oct 22 Nonito Donaire vs Omar Navarez at Bantamweight on HBO

- If you haven't seen the Filipino Flash fight, you are in for a treat. The 28 year old Donaire is better than Manny was this age. He possess elite boxing technique with lightning quick hands and feet. His short and accurate punches possess power rarely seen in the lower weight divisions. He is so good that I don't believe he has lost a round in over 3 years. Navarez is an undefeated veteran, but he is moving up in weight and it seems unlikely he has the skills to stop Donaire.

will also be in action. He is the younger brother of Victor Ortiz's trainer and a member of the famed Garcia family. He is worth tuning in for.

- As much as I love Hopkins and as serious of an opponent as Dawson is, the styles won't make for a very entertaining fight and definitely not a fight worth PPV money. HBO basically maxed out their boxing budget this year and was forced to make this a PPV. It is too bad because Hopkins has been fighting a more offensive style lately and is coming off 2 really fun fights against Pascal. The hardened veteran again faces a younger, faster, and stronger opponent. Two years ago, Dawson was considered the man to beat at Light Heavyweight. He can reclaim that position with a win over the Executioner. A win for Hopkins forces fans to reconsider his ranking among the all time greats.
B-Hop is my favorite fighter of all time, Dawson is probably in my current Top 5. Im gonna drop the loot for this one.

B-Hop is my favorite fighter of all time, Dawson is probably in my current Top 5. Im gonna drop the loot for this one.
Dawson in yur top 5 right now? Really? Home town guy or something?

I really want to like Chad Dawson, but every time I watch him fight, I walk away wishing he had thrown more punches.

Donaire is simply awesome.
He does seem otherworldly, but I will be very curious to see how his career goes as he moves up in weight. He definitely has the size and frame to make some big jumps in weight. I do wonder how he will cope when he no longer has such a significant size, reach, and strength advantage over his opponents. He has got 4 inches on Narvarez. Narvarez is a natural 118 pounder while Donaire seems like a natural 140 pounder fighting at 118.

First fight of his I saw was his first title fight in 06 vs Eric Harding and his next fight against Adamek. Quickly became a fan of his skills and speed for his size, 4 punch combos, and have been a fan ever since. He doesnt use the jab enough though, and really didnt need to because of how bad his speed outclasses most light heavys. I missed his last 2 fights against Pascal and Diaconu, but based on what I heard, he wasnt very active which blows my mind because of how great of a combo puncher he is and he has more speed than both of them.

Donaire is simply awesome.
:blackdot: haven't seen him fight- will look into this.
At the lower weights, there were 2 fighters over the last few years who had dominated: Vic Darchynian and Fernando Montiel. Vic was Flyweight Champion for 5 years with Montiel hadn't lost in 5 years. Donaire didn't just beat them, he delivered the KO's of the year. Vic lasted 5 rounds, while Montiel was knocked senseless in 2 rounds.
Donaire vs Montiel Highlights

Donaire just posted a bunch of pics on Facebook from his public workout in SF. Looks like the place was packed wall-to-wall with onlookers. And he's wearing a shirt saying "I :heart: boxing for boobies" :lmao:

I was actually going to bump this thread shortly and see if anyone has a link to a stream for tonight.
Im probably just going to buy it because of how much I like both fighters, but if someone doesnt find a link here Id check out ESPNs boxing message board. Theres usually a bunch of people looking/finding links there.Seems like people found good ones here for the Mayweather fight, but whenever I go that route, the link always gets dropped in like the 3rd round and then Im just pissed off looking for another link with middling luck. Dont feel like doing that tonight. I think I will for the Pacman fight though because Im not paying for that.

I think Dawson has a serious chance of beating Hop, but he absolutely needs to be active and throw combos at him. Otherwise, B-Hop will experience his way to another decision.

Linares-DeMarco was awesome...I had not seen Linares in a few fights, but had seen Demarco. I was surprised how much Lampley/Steward/Kellerman were supporting Linares. Yeah, I guess he has speed and talent, but Demarco has heart and is a very good fighter

More boxing fun. :mellow:this sport just keeps taking hit after hit.
:loco: What a mess is right. Would love to see a TKO out of this, but not sure it is justified. All i know is the gary Shaw and his boy do not add anything positive to boxing, those guys are absolute knuckleheadsETA: Wow, i thought the TKO would go to Hopkins, so now in boxing you can do a takedown and slam the guy on the mat, and all is good. :wall: :wall: No doubt about it, boxing absolutely blows nowadays

And I thought the end to Mayweather-Ortiz was bad....
Terrible. Pretty much the worst back to back big fights Ive ever seen.I love boxing, but this and the PBF fight are a joke. I dont blame Dawson at all. BHop headbutts enough where what Dawson did isnt out of the ordinary. If BHop will jump on him, so be it

Terrible. Pretty much the worst back to back big fights Ive ever seen.

I love boxing, but this and the PBF fight are a joke.

I dont blame Dawson at all. BHop headbutts enough where what Dawson did isnt out of the ordinary. If BHop will jump on him, so be it
Can probably add Klitschko-Haye and make it the last 3 main events. And yeah Bernard fights rough, but no doubt that should have been a no contest at best. Still can't figure out why you award a TKO for Dawson there

'slayer666 said:
Boxing is dead, kill the thread. People that pay for these half-assed PPV fights are getting ripped off BIG time. :banned:
Yeah, boxing is really messed up: the PPVs are generally a ripoff and it is overrun by cheaters, schemers, and con-artists. I still love the sport itself though. Guys like Donaire, Gamboa, Martinez, Rios, and Maidana keep it interesting. Hell, before this debacle, Hopkins was coming off of 2 of his most entertaining fights of his lengthy career.

Terrible. Pretty much the worst back to back big fights Ive ever seen.

I love boxing, but this and the PBF fight are a joke.

I dont blame Dawson at all. BHop headbutts enough where what Dawson did isnt out of the ordinary. If BHop will jump on him, so be it
Can probably add Klitschko-Haye and make it the last 3 main events. And yeah Bernard fights rough, but no doubt that should have been a no contest at best. Still can't figure out why you award a TKO for Dawson there
4: Manny vs Mosley (although anyone with 1/100 of a brain knew that it wasn't really a big fight).

'slayer666 said:
Boxing is dead, kill the thread. People that pay for these half-assed PPV fights are getting ripped off BIG time. :banned:
Yeah, boxing is really messed up: the PPVs are generally a ripoff and it is overrun by cheaters, schemers, and con-artists. I still love the sport itself though. Guys like Donaire, Gamboa, Martinez, Rios, and Maidana keep it interesting. Hell, before this debacle, Hopkins was coming off of 2 of his most entertaining fights of his lengthy career.
Boxing is the equivalent of professional wrestling right now. Sweet science my ###. :banned:

I didnt realize Dewey Bozella was the main event!! :boxing: :banned: :excited: :popcorn:
It sounded like the Linares fight was pretty awesome tho. Was that worth checking out?
Easily the best fight of the night. Not sure if it was awesome, but its worth checking out, if for anything that the announcers were all over Linares early and once Demarco started beating him, hesitated, and even once Demarco beat him, still were supporting Linares :lol:

'slayer666 said:
Boxing is the equivalent of professional wrestling right now. Sweet science my ###. :banned:
This fight and the PBF fight pretty much were the equivalent of wrestling, the after fight talk makes it seem even moreso. VOMIT, I cant stand it, and I cant disagree either.

This fight and the PBF fight pretty much were the equivalent of wrestling, the after fight talk makes it seem even moreso. VOMIT, I cant stand it, and I cant disagree either.
The masichistic side of myself is coming out and I can't stop reading the analysis on the web. For the life of me, the fight conclusion makes no sense and there is not a doubt in my mind that both of the Shaw boys need to be smacked in the face, "Skala" much more then his dad. I think the only good news to come out of this is Chad Dawson will go back and disapear and no one will care about him after this fight

And yes the old guy from prison won. http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7108340/exonerated-ex-con-dewey-bozella-wins-pro-boxing-debut-52

Users who are viewing this thread