What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Sweet Science Thread*** (3 Viewers)

To make up for he super fight that everyone thought should happen, but didn't, we get the superfight people didn't think would happen:

April 14 HBO, Brandon "Bam Bam" Rios (29-0-1 22KO) vs Yuriorkis "El Ciclon de Guantánamo" Gamboa (21-0-0 16 KO) at Lightweight.

Watched the ShoBox fights last night. First fight had this prospect Jonathan Gonzalez who ended up winning, but didnt impress me at all. Looked out of shape, had average speed at best for a light middle, and may have only won this fight 6-4 against a stepping stone type fighter. Only positive thing I could say about him was that he was good at finding ways/spots to land punches.

2nd fight had 22yr old Pueerto Rican Thomas Dulorme get a KO in the first. In the short fight, looked like he had good speed and power for a welter, and appeared tall and long for a welter. Looks like he reach is pretty standard for a welter after comparing with a few guys though.

Never seen Rios fight but I know youve been talking about him for awhile now. That fight vs Gamboa should be exciting.

Campillo got hosed last weekend. Cloud obviously dominated the 1st but I didnt think he won more than a couple rounds after that. The 116-110 (IIRC) Cloud scorecard was atrocious. Campillo deserves a rematch.

Big Pun Williams looked dominant, although Im skeptical on how good that guy he fought is/was. Yes, he must be pretty good to KO Kirkland in the 1st, but he looked terrible vs Williams...Interested to see Williams next matchup/fight. I hope he makes a "comeback"

Campillo got hosed last weekend. Cloud obviously dominated the 1st but I didnt think he won more than a couple rounds after that. The 116-110 (IIRC) Cloud scorecard was atrocious. Campillo deserves a rematch.Big Pun Williams looked dominant, although Im skeptical on how good that guy he fought is/was. Yes, he must be pretty good to KO Kirkland in the 1st, but he looked terrible vs Williams...Interested to see Williams next matchup/fight. I hope he makes a "comeback"
Watching FNF? It has been an awful start to the season. Hopefully these 2 Mexicans give us a battle in the main event.

Campillo got hosed last weekend. Cloud obviously dominated the 1st but I didnt think he won more than a couple rounds after that. The 116-110 (IIRC) Cloud scorecard was atrocious. Campillo deserves a rematch.

Big Pun Williams looked dominant, although Im skeptical on how good that guy he fought is/was. Yes, he must be pretty good to KO Kirkland in the 1st, but he looked terrible vs Williams...Interested to see Williams next matchup/fight. I hope he makes a "comeback"
Watching FNF? It has been an awful start to the season. Hopefully these 2 Mexicans give us a battle in the main event.
Nah, DVRing the Jessie Vargas fight on Showtime now though.

I am excited to see Broner tonight, he has become a real favorite of mine. Also, I am hoping this is the last time we see Devon Alexander on an HBO card.

I am excited to see Broner tonight, he has become a real favorite of mine. Also, I am hoping this is the last time we see Devon Alexander on an HBO card.
Yeah, but is the guy Broner is fighting any good? Im guessing he gets another KO, early-mid rounds.I got no problems with Alexander as long as he shows up and makes a good fight

Yeah, but is the guy Broner is fighting any good? Im guessing he gets another KO, early-mid rounds.I got no problems with Alexander as long as he shows up and makes a good fight
It might seem like Broner is fighting chumps, but his last few wins have been over guys in the top 10 in their weight class. Elroy Perez is young, undefeated and a rising fighter at Super Featherweight. It is good match-up. These arent tomato cans that Broner is destroying. As for Devon, when has he ever made a good fight?

Last edited by a moderator:
Check.Check.Ive never seen Maidana dismantled like that.

Last edited by a moderator:
BoxingTruth counted more than 100 times Alexander clinched Maidana. I wish refs would do more about all the grabbing and holding.

'Ilov80s said:
'Kenny Powers said:
'Kenny Powers said:
'Ilov80s said:
BoxingTruth counted more than 100 times Alexander clinched Maidana. I wish refs would do more about all the grabbing and holding.
Surprised/question it being that high. A solution would be to get the guy who reffed the Peterson-Khan fight.

'Ilov80s said:
'Kenny Powers said:
'Kenny Powers said:
'Ilov80s said:
Surprised/question it being that high. A solution would be to get the guy who reffed the Peterson-Khan fight.
Supposedly he is uploading a YouTube montage of all the clinches, he did the same for Khan v Peterson. The sad part is most boxing mediaheads tore that ref up for properly enforcing the rules.

The mysteruious case of Joan Guzman tonight on ESPN2. It is still puzzling how Guzman's career has gone astray.

The mysteruious case of Joan Guzman tonight on ESPN2. It is still puzzling how Guzman's career has gone astray.
I wouldve watched this if it was 2008. After I thought about it, I figured it would be a waste of time.
Ha, yeah, you did miss a potential KO of the year, poor guy got 1 punch facemelted. The fights weren't competitive, but I think there 6 knockdowns between the 2 fights.

'Ilov80s said:
'Kenny Powers said:
'Ilov80s said:
I wouldve watched this if it was 2008. After I thought about it, I figured it would be a waste of time.
Ha, yeah, you did miss a potential KO of the year, poor guy got 1 punch facemelted. The fights weren't competitive, but I think there 6 knockdowns between the 2 fights.
Link? My DVR has been acting up and it was unfortunately either this morning's soccer game or FNF that wasn't going to make the cut...

'Ilov80s said:
'Kenny Powers said:
'Ilov80s said:
Link? My DVR has been acting up and it was unfortunately either this morning's soccer game or FNF that wasn't going to make the cut...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK-CMW4m93oabout 50 seconds in

Lopez-Salido II on Showtime tonight :boxing:

Didnt see the first fight so no clue who I expect will win, though probably pulling for JuanMa so we either get a trilogy or he's back in top fight discussions

Undercard is on now Sho Extreme. I like how Sho is putting the undercards on tv. Mikey Garcia is fighting tonight, I hope he fights Broner soon. Garcia is the truth.

Wow, what an amazing fight. FOTY, its a wrap.
Its gonna be way up there. By the time it was halfway thru, I started thinking that as well. Surprised none of the announcers mentioned it. Although I probably had it 6-3 Salido, after the first few rounds, the rounds got much closer and Lopez was letting the hands go much more. Not surprised Salido got the KO, I actually most surprised that it didnt happen a round or 2 earlier. JuanMa was definitely throwing more in those late rounds, but Salido looked to have noticeable more power at that point.Either way, awesome fight. Mikey Garcia also looked good. Love to see him vs Salido (or JuanMa for that matter)

Wow, what an amazing fight. FOTY, its a wrap.
Its gonna be way up there. By the time it was halfway thru, I started thinking that as well. Surprised none of the announcers mentioned it. Although I probably had it 6-3 Salido, after the first few rounds, the rounds got much closer and Lopez was letting the hands go much more. Not surprised Salido got the KO, I actually most surprised that it didnt happen a round or 2 earlier. JuanMa was definitely throwing more in those late rounds, but Salido looked to have noticeable more power at that point.Either way, awesome fight. Mikey Garcia also looked good. Love to see him vs Salido (or JuanMa for that matter)
The final 3 rounds were some of the best rounds in modern boxing history, right up there with best of Castillo-Corrales, Hearns-Hangler or Ward-Gatti. I think Mikey Garcia would win a decisive victory over JuanMa or Salido. JuanMa is too sloppy and couldn't handle Garcia's power. I think Salido is also tailor made for a counter puncher like Mikey. Salido looked really sloppy at times. Garcia not only wouldn't let him land those wild arching punches, he would make Salido pay for throwing them. For all the hype that existed for the Gamboa-JuanMa super fight 2 years ago, it is clear now that JuanMan isn't in that class.

Next Saturday is a nice lineup. Kirkland is always entertaining and Molina is no push over. Erik Morales v Danny Garcia should also be entertaining, Morales always comes to fight and Garcia is s good young fighter that could propel his career with a win.

Also on NBC, Zab Judah faces a guy from Detroit that I have seen fight live a few times, Vernon Paris. I actually think Paris will get Judah out.

I used to follow boxing religously right up until the early 2000`s . Ive boxed since i was 15 years old, i love it with a passion. Yet that was back when you you could afford to pay for HBO and SHOWTIME and pay per view. I remember watching some of the greatest fights ive ever seen on wide world of sports or NBC , Hagler vs Minter...Mancini vs Kim just to name a couple and they were FREE !!!!!!! I have since lost touch , partly for the reason above AND the fact that besides Pacman nobody catches my eye, the talent level has dropped off or at the very least the charisma level has dropped off. Now that the UFC dominates the airwaves i just adopted cage fighting as my new contact sport of choice. and while i enjoy cage fighting i miss the drama that you can only get in boxing. The 1980`s was the best decade of boxing ever IMO. The fights , the matchups and the drama were and are unsurpassed.I still get excited seeing a great war in boxing like last years war Andre Berto vs. Victor Ortiz...what a great fight or the Gatti vs Ward trilogy but they are so few and far between now. The level of talent on free tv is embarrassing at times. More and more up and coming fighters (kids or teens ) are switching over to MMA and thats going to be real noticable in about ten years. Sad

I used to follow boxing religously right up until the early 2000`s . Ive boxed since i was 15 years old, i love it with a passion. Yet that was back when you you could afford to pay for HBO and SHOWTIME and pay per view. I remember watching some of the greatest fights ive ever seen on wide world of sports or NBC , Hagler vs Minter...Mancini vs Kim just to name a couple and they were FREE !!!!!!! I have since lost touch , partly for the reason above AND the fact that besides Pacman nobody catches my eye, the talent level has dropped off or at the very least the charisma level has dropped off. Now that the UFC dominates the airwaves i just adopted cage fighting as my new contact sport of choice. and while i enjoy cage fighting i miss the drama that you can only get in boxing. The 1980`s was the best decade of boxing ever IMO. The fights , the matchups and the drama were and are unsurpassed.I still get excited seeing a great war in boxing like last years war Andre Berto vs. Victor Ortiz...what a great fight or the Gatti vs Ward trilogy but they are so few and far between now. The level of talent on free tv is embarrassing at times. More and more up and coming fighters (kids or teens ) are switching over to MMA and thats going to be real noticable in about ten years. Sad
Check out Salido vs Lopez from last week. I would totally agree that there isn't much quality fighting on free TV anymore and I am lucky enough to be able to afford HBO and Showtime. However, with the internet and YouTube, every fight is available for free somewhere. There are some great fighters out there, Nonito Donaire, Sergio Martinez, Brandon Rios, Yuriorkis Gamboa, to name a few. They just aren't stars because boxing isn't main stream anymore.

Sergio's fight last night was more entertaining than I expected. Didnt think that guy was going to last 6 rounds but the fight was actually real close late. If that guy can push Sergio to the limit, maybe Mayweather will actually give him a shot.

Good night of fights with Zab Judah on NBC and Kirkland and Erik Morales fighting on HBO.
Hah, I was just about to bump this myself when I saw that old Pacman-PBF thread at the top of the FFA
I am surprised that Judah is the slight underdog here. I think Vernon Paris is the better fighter at this stage, but it's in Brooklyn which means Judah is going be tough to be on the scorecards. I will be rooting for a Paris KO. He's from Detroit and has an amazing life story.
Growing up in Detroit, Paris was shot three times in July 2006 after being lured into an abandoned home on the west side by a group of men, he said, who were jealous of his boxing success. He still has two bullets in his body.In May 2008, Paris was stabbed multiple times when he and his girlfriend were involved in a dispute at his home with a woman and her male companion.Now a father of a 4-year-old girl and with twins on their way, Paris said his past is buried and the future is all that counts.
"Iceman" Vernon Paris

I posted in the other thread too...anyone have a link to the full Kirkland/Molina fight?

I DVR'd the Judah fight, hope to watch it tonight.

Thoughts on the Abril/Rios decision? I had it seemingly closer than a lot of the experts, but still had 115-113 Abril. Crazy.

I didn't see it, but based on the reactions on Twitter, it must have been obscenely bad. Did you see the fight before it with Mikey Alvarez?

Lost what very little respect for Rios that I had left. No excuse for not making weight in consecutive fights. Absolutely inexcusable and embarrassing. Whats worse is that he doesn't realize how big of a deal it really is. :thumbdown:

Users who are viewing this thread