Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JohnnyU

Why are people so obsessed with cell phones?

140 posts in this topic

I went out to dinner last night with my wife and noticed a young married couple sitting at the bar. Both were messing with their cell phones for the entire 20 minutes we had to wait for a table. I wonder how stable that marriage is? Then after we got seated I noticed two women sitting at a table, both messing with their cell phones. They did this every minute before getting their food. I also notice this type of behavior everywhere I go. Their phones are glued to their hand while sitting on the bus. They call someone and talk about absolutely nothing. "I'm on the bus now, I just finished work. I'll be home in two minutes". Was this necessary if he's going to be home in two minutes? I went to the beach in Florida for vacation a couple of years ago. There was this beautiful girl laying out on the beach every day at the same spot. She spent the entire time there texting someone and messing with her phone in general. She even took her phone into the ocean with her. People talk on them constantly while driving or doing some other dangerous activity. It's insane. People are too obsessed with their cell phones. I'm glad I'm free from this......well, maybe I'm not since I have to see it every day.

I hate cell phones. I mean I love the idea/convenience of them but when I'm out, just leave me be!!

She even took her phone into the ocean with her.

Floato-Phone®

Is it too late to change my vote for president to JohnnyU?

I remember a while ago people were talking about devices that would block cell phones in restaurants, theaters, etc. Seems like that movement lost in a landslide. I personally can't stand talking on the phone; I communicate mostly via text these days. But I admit that since getting an iPhone, my restaurant manners have gone out the window. I try to resist, but there's always something I can rationalize checking on.

A lot of people have to check their work phones non-stop.

I'm 'in between' cell phones right now, and I had a hard time opening a new account at the bank. They didn't believe that I didn't have a cell phone number to give them.

I'm either at home or at work. Reach me at home, because I'm not talking to you while I'm working.

:shrug: We live in an age where we have the ability to stay wired in to things that are important at all times.

A lot of people probably overestimate the degree to which they HAVE to be on their work phones non-stop.IMO most people are just insecure and need the constant reassurance that somebody out there thinks they are important.

I went out to dinner last night with my wife and noticed a young married couple sitting at the bar. Both were messing with their cell phones for the entire 20 minutes we had to wait for a table. I wonder how stable that marriage is? Then after we got seated I noticed two women sitting at a table, both messing with their cell phones. They did this every minute before getting their food. I also notice this type of behavior everywhere I go. Their phones are glued to their hand while sitting on the bus. They call someone and talk about absolutely nothing. "I'm on the bus now, I just finished work. I'll be home in two minutes". Was this necessary if he's going to be home in two minutes? I went to the beach in Florida for vacation a couple of years ago. There was this beautiful girl laying out on the beach every day at the same spot. She spent the entire time there texting someone and messing with her phone in general. She even took her phone into the ocean with her. People talk on them constantly while driving or doing some other dangerous activity. It's insane. People are too obsessed with their cell phones. I'm glad I'm free from this......well, maybe I'm not since I have to see it every day.

Why are people so concerned about what other people are doing? What happened to people minding their own business?

i use my phone to make phone calls and send the occasional text...

People are addicted to information, even when its meaningless information.

I remember being a kid and having to wait for the evening news to see the out of town scores.

If I missed it, I had to wait until the paper came the next day.

No iPhones, no internet, no 24 hour sports channels, man I'm getting old... and get off my lawn!

A lot of people probably overestimate the degree to which they HAVE to be on their work phones non-stop.IMO most people are just insecure and need the constant reassurance that somebody out there thinks they are important.
I think you nailed it.

IMO most people are just insecure and need the constant reassurance that somebody out there thinks they are important.

Not true in my experiences... My wife has about 150 people under her. She has to be connected pretty much 24/7. me on the other hand... i just like surfing the internet to avoid talking to people. I hate people.

IMO most people are just insecure and need the constant reassurance that somebody out there thinks they are important.

Welcome to the FFA.

i use my phone to make phone calls and send the occasional text...

good info here.

me on the other hand... i just like surfing the internet to avoid talking to people. I hate people.

:bingo:If I'm on my phone around you it's because I'm trying to avoid talking to you.In an elevator? Walking in/out of a building? I despise the inanane pleasantries we feel pressed into. It's better to be scrolling through my email than it is to engage in the usual "(nod) How ya doing.... good, how you doing?...good" BS.

:thumbup: We live in an age where we have the ability to stay wired in to things that are important at all times.
I agree but 95% of the things are not important.We were at dinner with 4 couple last weekend and one guy checked his phone every 3-4 minutes saying. Tigers are winning 3-2 in the third inning, it is going to be 82 on Monday, just got a text from my daughter..she ordered the nachos at Chilis..says they are good. Just a bunch of nothing.My wife and I have made a rule that when we go out with others or by oursleves the phones stay in our pocket and we don`t text or answer unless it is our daughters and they are in dire need.

Not true in my experiences... My wife has about 150 people under her. She has to be connected pretty much 24/7.
Fair enough Carver - there are a small number of folks who truly need to be connected for work reasons. But that number is much smaller than the # of folks addicted to their phones.

me on the other hand... i just like surfing the internet to avoid talking to people. I hate people.

:lmao:

I'm with the OP here, it's getting out of control. People walking into each other on the streets of Manhattan because they're texting. The minute a plane lands, a half a dozen people have to begin conversations with someone and not necessarily working out being picked up at the airport. The NYC express buses are nice comfortable, quiet rides except for the people on ther cellphones. Everywhere you go, people are addicted. Let's not even get into the driving.

How often do people leave their house without their phone? You should try it occasionally. When we go out to eat and know we'll be back in a couple of hours, we both leave the phones at home. It's a freeing feeling.

I think you nailed it.
:lmao: In this age of "social networking", there are just way too many people who think that everyone should be interested in their every move. Seems like narcissism has hit an all-time high.

:lmao: We live in an age where we have the ability to stay wired in to things that are important at all times.
I agree but 95% of the things are not important.We were at dinner with 4 couple last weekend and one guy checked his phone every 3-4 minutes saying. Tigers are winning 3-2 in the third inning, it is going to be 82 on Monday, just got a text from my daughter..she ordered the nachos at Chilis..says they are good.
That's preposterous.The nachos at Chili's are lousy.

:lmao:

We live in an age where we have the ability to stay wired in to things that are important at all times.

I agree but 95% of the things are not important.

We were at dinner with 4 couple last weekend and one guy checked his phone every 3-4 minutes saying.

Tigers are winning 3-2 in the third inning, it is going to be 82 on Monday, just got a text from my daughter..she ordered the nachos at Chilis..says they are good. Just a bunch of nothing.

My wife and I have made a rule that when we go out with others or by oursleves the phones stay in our pocket and we don`t text or answer unless it is our daughters and they are in dire need.

People throw that out there, but I am sure it's a very low % of people who are high on the business ladder and/or need to be accessible at all times. Mostly it's stupid crap that people don't need to be doing. Mostly it's just a combo of not knowing how to interact with people very well, the desire for instant access to anything at any time, and the "please look at me" mentality that a lot of us seem to have developed.

:lmao: We live in an age where we have the ability to stay wired in to things that are important at all times.
I agree but 95% of the things are not important.We were at dinner with 4 couple last weekend and one guy checked his phone every 3-4 minutes saying. Tigers are winning 3-2 in the third inning, it is going to be 82 on Monday, just got a text from my daughter..she ordered the nachos at Chilis..says they are good. Just a bunch of nothing.My wife and I have made a rule that when we go out with others or by oursleves the phones stay in our pocket and we don`t text or answer unless it is our daughters and they are in dire need.
That seems like a good rule.What % of conversation do you think is completely meaningless, basically just filling silence? I've taken informal polls before....the range of answers is surprising.

:lmao: Do this non-stop all day.

Why are people so concerned about what other people are doing? What happened to people minding their own business?
Are you kidding, this is the new America. Others are worried about what I eat, how much I eat, how much I sleep, if and when I smoke, what I smoke, what I believe in, how I use my cell phone, how many miles per gallon my car gets, if I use paper or plastic, need I go on?

I sort of feel the same way with Twitter and Facebook status updates. I really don't give care that much about other people's lives to need lame updates about daily events.

I think you nailed it.
:lmao: In this age of "social networking", there are just way too many people who think that everyone should be interested in their every move. Seems like narcissism has hit an all-time high.
Thus the fascination with Twitter. I'd be willing to bet that >95% of Twitter "posts" are completely ignored by everyone except the person posting the comment. It's the ultimate in "look at me!"The stupid stuff people post on Facebook - "just got done getting my legs waxed!" Uh, congrats moron. Nobody needed to know that.But this is what our society deserves for raising an entire generation taught to believe that "you are special and loved"

How often do people leave their house without their phone? You should try it occasionally. When we go out to eat and know we'll be back in a couple of hours, we both leave the phones at home. It's a freeing feeling.

I'll at least leave it in the car in case one needs road service, but most things can wait till I get back in the car and check the messages. I don't need to tell people what kind of sandwich I'm eating.

That seems like a good rule.What % of conversation do you think is completely meaningless, basically just filling silence? I've taken informal polls before....the range of answers is surprising.
I saw a survey about 6 years ago that said 10% of all the people talking on cell phones are not talking to anyone.

If someone's job depends on it...I can't fault them. I find it a bit sad (my uncle owns a plumbing business and was laughing the other day that his father ran the business efficiently 50 years ago with one phone in the shop and now he's got three phones and doesn't seem to have a handle on the business) that they're in the situation.

For most everyone else who exhibit these phone tendencies, I think it's a just another tool that our collective obsession with both instant gratification and "the grass always being greener" uses to gain and process information. I think people should learn better phone manners (I hate it when I'm talking to someone and they are texting)....but I don't particularly think the use of them are a bad thing.

I sort of feel the same way with Twitter and Facebook status updates. I really don't give care that much about other people's lives to need lame updates about daily events.

:lmao: You beat me to it.

Not true in my experiences... My wife has about 150 people under her. She has to be connected pretty much 24/7. me on the other hand... i just like surfing the internet to avoid talking to people. I hate people.
Didn't managers have 150 people reporting to them before cell phones were invented? Those managers didn't need to be connected 24/7. Why does your wife think she does?

People talk on them constantly while driving or doing some other dangerous activity. It's insane.

Invariably someone that's driving like a jackass is on their phone.

Are you kidding, this is the new America. Others are worried about what I eat, how much I eat, how much I sleep, if and when I smoke, what I smoke, what I believe in, how I use my cell phone, how many miles per gallon my car gets, if I use paper or plastic, need I go on?
I don't think those are people, they are marketing firms. There is a difference. I don't understand why you would choose to participate in it, and defend it.

A lot of people probably overestimate the degree to which they HAVE to be on their work phones non-stop.

I think you nailed it.
:goodposting:

In this age of "social networking", there are just way too many people who think that everyone should be interested in their every move. Seems like narcissism has hit an all-time high.

Thus the fascination with Twitter. I'd be willing to bet that >95% of Twitter "posts" are completely ignored by everyone except the person posting the comment. It's the ultimate in "look at me!"

The stupid stuff people post on Facebook - "just got done getting my legs waxed!" Uh, congrats moron. Nobody needed to know that.

But this is what our society deserves for raising an entire generation taught to believe that "you are special and loved"

I can't say you are wrong on this.