What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN League Manager - Auction (1 Viewer)

bigfishboy

Footballguy
I am setting up a new league this year, we need a site that allows online auction drafting. I read a thread from a few months ago that identified ESPN as the only provider that does auction. One person responded with a good review of the software.

Now that ESPN has their football league manager site up and running, I was kicking around on it last night. I was fairly impressed with the options and the screen shot of the auction window. One thing that had me miffed was that they said the auction window would not be available until all owners had registered into the league. We always have a couple people procrastinate until the end to register, and the other guys will be chomping at the bit to familiarize themselves with the format.

I am just looking for any other reviews or advice on ESPN's auction capability (or an alternative site if you have one).

Keep in mind that 2/3 of this group has never done an auction and a couple are pretty computer challenged.

ESPN has a decent Mock Draft capability that is identical to their draft screen and set-up. You can basically log on any time during the day and do a mock draft. I did about 50 a month last year for about 3 months. This includes auction drafts.

Last edited by a moderator:
ESPN has a decent Mock Draft capability that is identical to their draft screen and set-up. You can basically log on any time during the day and do a mock draft. I did about 50 a month last year for about 3 months. This includes auction drafts.
This is good news. The newbs can get experience and the rest can familiarize themselves. Thanks!

Yahoo has added auction for free this year.

Here is other new stuff and LINK

What's new for the 2010 Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football season?

Last Updated: May 24, 2010

Yahoo! Sports is proud to bring you the 2010 Fantasy Football season. Full season sign-ups begin on Thursday, June 3rd and continue until Friday, October 22nd.

This year, Yahoo! Sports Fantasy Football has undergone a serious overhaul to deliver an even more intense Fantasy Football experience. We've added tons of new features and are now offering many of our previous payed features for free.

The most dramatic change you will see for the 2010 season is that we have completely done away with Plus Leagues. What does this mean?

[*]Free! Live Scoring and StatTracker

[*]Free! Draft Kit reports

[*]Free! League Dues tracking

[*]Free! Transaction Trends, Who's Hot, and Lineup Analysis player research tools

[*]Former Plus Leagues renewing in 2010 will also have access to the Record Book feature

[*]The Yahoo! Trade Review feature in which Yahoo! staff settles trade disputes will be a new premium add-on product for purchase by league commissioners

That's not all. Here is a list of features that are entirely new for the Yahoo! Sports 2010 Fantasy Football season:

[*]Auction Drafts

[*]Pausing and Undoing Picks in Live Drafts

[*]Free Agent Acquisition Budgets (FAAB)

I saw this thread and checked it out. There was a 10 team mock draft starting in 20 seconds so I jumped in. I have to say the software was very slick. I was quite impressed with how smoothly it ran.

A couple of niggles:

[*]When you setup your nomination queue you can't do it by position, it's one big list

[*]As your team fills up, if you want to check your roster you have to scroll, you can't see it all in one glance because the chat window cannot be minimized

Here is a picture of the draft room.

I did an auction for Fantasy Index magazine and absolutely loved the ESPN Auction room. It's the slickest auction software I have ever used. We had no issues at all through the whole process.

stugnut said:
I saw this thread and checked it out. There was a 10 team mock draft starting in 20 seconds so I jumped in. I have to say the software was very slick. I was quite impressed with how smoothly it ran.

A couple of niggles:

[*]When you setup your nomination queue you can't do it by position, it's one big list

[*]As your team fills up, if you want to check your roster you have to scroll, you can't see it all in one glance because the chat window cannot be minimized

Here is a picture of the draft room.
I checked out the Yahoo! site, but there isn't much info on the auction platform. I couldn't even find a screenshot. Thanks for the review and picture.It looks like we may have two viable options. Great!

Does anyone know whether ESPN or Yahoo will allow for a commish-defined budget for the auction? It looks like ESPN forces a $260 budget with no ability to change it (best I can tell) and I have no data on Yahoo. Thanks!

Bump.

Does anyone know whether ESPN will allow for a commish-defined budget for the auction? It looks like ESPN forces a $260 budget with no ability to change it (best I can tell). Thanks!

Wooderson said:
Don't know about ESPN, but Yahoo allows the Commish to define the budget.
Thanks Any other reason to choose or not to choose Yahoo over ESPN?
Yahoo allows you to pause the live auction a maximum of 5 times, 3 min. each time. I don't know about your league, but we frequently pause auctions more often, and for longer periods of time (imagine someone lost connectivity and needs to reboot, etc.) ESPN allows unlimited pausing.

Does anyone know how to extract ESPN's player valuations (i.e. their estimated dollar values) to a spreadhseet? I only see the pre draft $ valuation in the auction room itself and not anywhere on the website.

Don't know about ESPN, but Yahoo allows the Commish to define the budget.
Thanks Any other reason to choose or not to choose Yahoo over ESPN?
Yahoo allows you to pause the live auction a maximum of 5 times, 3 min. each time. I don't know about your league, but we frequently pause auctions more often, and for longer periods of time (imagine someone lost connectivity and needs to reboot, etc.) ESPN allows unlimited pausing.
Wow. Thanks for the information. That makes a huge difference to my league.You do have time between each player right. For example if I bring up Manning for bidding we have as much time as we need for the next guy to bring up Brady for example. Right?

I am commish for two upcoming 14 team auction drafts on ESPN. As commish, I set a 200 budget. It is easy to change in Edit Settings as Commish.

ESPN is great. I commished three auctions in baseball in the spring on ESPN and things went very smoothly.

You HAVE to tell everyone in your league two valuable warnings:

1) Do a mock draft first! Sometimes it is confusing on who it appears is up for bid UNLESS you know the system.

2) Tell everybody ahead of time that the $1 bids at the end will absolutely FLY. You MUST have guys cued up and ready to nominate or you will get caught unprepared and get stuck with some stiff.

I am commish for two upcoming 14 team auction drafts on ESPN. As commish, I set a 200 budget. It is easy to change in Edit Settings as Commish.
Can you set different budgets to take into account salary cap penalties in the Edit Settings???

Users who are viewing this thread