What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chipper Jones (1 Viewer)

Top 3 3rd baseman ever? Schmidt of course...but how do the others compare?

Starting hitting in clutch immediately as a rookie...I hated the Braves and he was instantly the guy I feared most.

Guy sees Chipper and retirement in a headline on the internet and assumes he's going to retire. Please rename this thread as 'Chipper may retire after 2010'

Last edited by a moderator:
Top 3 3rd baseman ever? Schmidt of course...but how do the others compare?Starting hitting in clutch immediately as a rookie...I hated the Braves and he was instantly the guy I feared most.
Give me some 3B, I will compile the stats.

Sad day for Braves fans after this year, the Braves legendary manager retires as well as one of their best and arguably one of the best 3rd basemen of all time. Hopefully they'll make the playoffs and play the Dodgers for the NLCS that would be awesome.

Top 3 3rd baseman ever? Schmidt of course...but how do the others compare?

Starting hitting in clutch immediately as a rookie...I hated the Braves and he was instantly the guy I feared most.
Pretty good stuff from Baseball reference:Similar Batters through 37

1. Gary Sheffield (911)

2. Jeff Bagwell (884)

3. Duke Snider (844) *

4. Billy Williams (835) *

5. Mike Schmidt (834) *

6. Frank Thomas (831)

7. Fred McGriff (825)

8. Al Kaline (823) *

9. Dave Winfield (820) *

10. Reggie Jackson (812) *

He's got about 15 million reasons to stick it out this year.

The Braves are going to have some pretty good money to persue free agents next year.

They'll get Chippers money, about $10 they're eating on Derek Lowe this year, and I think Hudson's contract is done after this year, among others.

Time to find a new 3rd baseman with that cash.

He should retire now while his batting average is still above .300. :unsure:
If he went 0-for-134, his average would be .299508...Taking his average AB for the past three years (420), to get him below .300 (with rounding), he would have to hit 85-for-420 (.202) to finish his career at .299434...

I'm a little mixed on Chipper. HOFer to be sure, great clutch threat, but I look at his career and do have an overall sense of....disappointment? Lots of injuries sapped his ability, starting with that first one in 1994. To add him at SS to that pitching staff, wow.

He lost at least 2 full seasons to injury in his career, otherwise he gets by 500 homers pretty easily probably is looking at 3000 hits.

I should say, I did just look at his stat line and he wasn't out as much as I recalled but it always seemed like he was playing at 75% due to various dings.

Users who are viewing this thread