What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Texas BBQ (1 Viewer)

Talking about BBQ restaurants in the other thread made me think about Texas BBQ. A few pics from my tour last summer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/al...id=315133064293

First set is from Luling City Market in Luling, TX. I'd rank it as #3 in Texas. If you're from Texas, that will mean it's #3 in the world... :goodposting:

J
Ok - what are #1 and #2 for you?
I bet $ he's got Kreuz as one of them. I'm not sure it's possible to find better brisket than you'll get there. Cooper's in Llano is my personal favorite. They have a wide variety and the ambiance screams of Texas BBQ.

Talking about BBQ restaurants in the other thread made me think about Texas BBQ. A few pics from my tour last summer.

First set is from Luling City Market in Luling, TX. I'd rank it as #3 in Texas. If you're from Texas, that will mean it's #3 in the world... :goodposting:

J
I bet $ he's got Kreuz as one of them. I'm not sure it's possible to find better brisket than you'll get there. Cooper's in Llano is my personal favorite. They have a wide variety and the ambiance screams of Texas BBQ.
Kreuz had the best piece of meat i have ever tasted in my life.It wasnt the brisket however it was the smoked prime rib!!!! Amazing! THe brisket was amazing as well of course!

J
Have you had Snows? According to TM, it has the best brisket around. I've had it once and it was very good - but it was delivered and re-heated so I didn't really have it.

First set is from Luling City Market in Luling, TX. I'd rank it as #3 in Texas. If you're from Texas, that will mean it's #3 in the world... :rolleyes:

J
or Louie Muellers. I love these all but prefer The Salt Lick in Driftwood for total experience. Yes, I'm a sucker for great bbq sauce and scenery.

Do they have calorie counts on the menus?
:rolleyes: And for my personal rankings, it's:5. The new Mega Kruez Market - Lockhart4. Blacks BBQ - Lockhart3. Luling City Market - Luling2. Smitty's Market (The old Kruez location) - Lockhart1. Louie Mueller BBQ - TaylorJ

First set is from Luling City Market in Luling, TX. I'd rank it as #3 in Texas. If you're from Texas, that will mean it's #3 in the world... :rolleyes:

J
Louie Muellers in Taylor is my personal favorite

:coffee: And for my personal rankings, it's:5. The new Mega Kruez Market - Lockhart4. Blacks BBQ - Lockhart3. Luling City Market - Luling2. Smitty's Market (The old Kruez location) - Lockhart1. Louie Mueller BBQ - TaylorJ
Serious question from a California yippie: In TX and the midwest, do parents somewhat regulate how much BBQ their children eat? I eat pretty healthy, and occasionally I'll get something this greasy/fat-laden, but is there any concern about BBQ like this being part of a regular diet for a kid?

SItting here with a freaking chef salad and cup of loaded potato soup....and now all I want is some fine smoked animal flesh.

:coffee: And for my personal rankings, it's:5. The new Mega Kruez Market - Lockhart4. Blacks BBQ - Lockhart3. Luling City Market - Luling2. Smitty's Market (The old Kruez location) - Lockhart1. Louie Mueller BBQ - TaylorJ
Serious question from a California yippie: In TX and the midwest, do parents somewhat regulate how much BBQ their children eat? I eat pretty healthy, and occasionally I'll get something this greasy/fat-laden, but is there any concern about BBQ like this being part of a regular diet for a kid?
People don't eat BBQ very often. It's a treat.

In general? No. But for most people BBQ isnt an every day type of thing. While not exactly expensive, it aint cheap either. The good BBQ is also generally a fair drive from large population centers. BBQ places cook only so much per day. When they run out, they run out - so getting BBQ midweek for dinner is a crap shoot. Plus, regular consumption of Big Red would lead to blindness.

:angry: And for my personal rankings, it's:5. The new Mega Kruez Market - Lockhart4. Blacks BBQ - Lockhart3. Luling City Market - Luling2. Smitty's Market (The old Kruez location) - Lockhart1. Louie Mueller BBQ - TaylorJ
I've only been to Louie Mueller's once - and the guy directly in front of me got the last of the beef ribs. It was devastating. I love Smitty's ribs. They are fantastic. I think Luling is my favorite - but I leave open the possibility that Snows could enter the top 2-3. It was really good re-heated.

:angry: And for my personal rankings, it's:5. The new Mega Kruez Market - Lockhart4. Blacks BBQ - Lockhart3. Luling City Market - Luling2. Smitty's Market (The old Kruez location) - Lockhart1. Louie Mueller BBQ - TaylorJ
Yes. And it's basically not that different from any other meat. Lots of places do a great BBQ chicken which is the same as Rotisserie chicken. Brisket is a pretty lean meat and it not much different than any lean steak. Pork shoulder has a higher fat content than pork chops or tenderloin but it's not like you're eating the fat.Sure, you can load up with sides like fried okra and french fries. But you can also do baked beans and cole slaw.J

Lockhart is an amazing BBQ hotbed. I have had #'s 4, 3 and 1 on that list, and would hate to have to rank them. I think I know what I'm having for dinner now.

No issue with Louie Miller at #1. I prefer Kreuz over Smitty's. I do not understand the affinity for Black's. I've had better BBQ at about 5 places in Austin. I guess I need to go back and try it again... Have you been to Cooper's out in Llano?

First set is from Luling City Market in Luling, TX. I'd rank it as #3 in Texas. If you're from Texas, that will mean it's #3 in the world... :angry:

J
Have you had Snows? According to TM, it has the best brisket around. I've had it once and it was very good - but it was delivered and re-heated so I didn't really have it.
No, where is it? I'll gladly make a Texas BBQ road trip to try...

Interesting. For me, if you put Smitty's and Kreuz in front of me and didn't tell me which was which, I'm not sure I could tell the difference. Both are outstanding - it's the first time that I truly understood that good BBQ doesn't need sauce. Louie Mueller's is the only one of those I haven't had, but apparently that needs to be remedied quickly.

No issue with Louie Miller at #1. I prefer Kreuz over Smitty's. I do not understand the affinity for Black's. I've had better BBQ at about 5 places in Austin. I guess I need to go back and try it again... Have you been to Cooper's out in Llano?
I'm likely eating lunch in Austin this Friday. I've had County Line, Stubbs Iron Works and Salt Lick. What have I missed?

First set is from Luling City Market in Luling, TX. I'd rank it as #3 in Texas. If you're from Texas, that will mean it's #3 in the world... :coffee:

J
It's in Lexington and its only open on Saturdays. They open at like 8 and stay open until the food is gone.

First set is from Luling City Market in Luling, TX. I'd rank it as #3 in Texas. If you're from Texas, that will mean it's #3 in the world... :coffee:

J
Lexington. They only serve on Saturdays and you might want to get there early (like before 8) because they sell out quick and once it's gone, it's gone.

It's in Lexington and its only open on Saturdays. They open at like 8 and stay open until the food is gone.
Oh yeah, someone was just telling me about this one the other day. It's run by an old lady or ladies? It's on my must do list.
Here's the Texas Monthly article from '08.

Lexington: Snow’s BBQ

The best barbecue in Texas is currently being served at Snow’s BBQ, in Lexington, a small restaurant open only on Saturdays and only from eight in the morning until whenever the meat runs out, usually around noon. Snow’s is remarkable not only for the quality of its meat but for the unlikeliness of its story. No one on staff had heard of it until we received a reader tip following our 2003 barbecue issue. To stumble upon a place this good and this unknown is every pit hound’s dream, and so we feel compelled to offer, as evidence in favor of our judgment, our story of discovery. It begins with a staff writer’s asking her husband for a favor . . .

Katy Vine: With so much ground to cover, we are on occasion forced to deputize our spouses. This year my designated barbecue bailiwick in Central Texas was chock-full of well-known, top-quality pits. To save time, I sent my husband, George, to check out a few of the unknown places, after giving him the proper training, of course.

When George reached Snow’s, at around twelve-thirty, the only remaining meats were two ribs and an entire brisket. The owner made him a deal for all of it, then brought him out a few slices of brisket. George had never tasted barbecue this good. He returned home, placed the brisket on the counter, peeled back the foil, and told me to try some. What I tasted was as heavenly a piece of meat as I’d ever encountered. I immediately called our food editor, Patricia Sharpe, and told her we had found the best brisket in the state.

Patricia Sharpe: I was at a very loud party and having a great time, but Katy and George were so excited, I ran out the door and drove straight to their house. The brisket was sitting on their kitchen counter like a gold bar from Fort Knox. I put a bite in my mouth and closed my eyes. Good God almighty! Even six hours off the pit, it was perfect. Smoke permeated every morsel; the texture was pure velvet. On a scale of one to five, it was a seven—no, a ten!

The brisket was outlandishly good. But was it merely a happy accident? To find out, we sent veteran reporter S. C. Gwynne, whose appetite for good barbecue is surpassed only by his desire for the truth.

S. C. Gwynne: Anybody who knows barbecue knows that on a given day any idiot can get lucky. So I was dispatched to Snow’s to find out if this little pissant wood-frame building with four hours’ worth of business per week could reliably produce.

My wife and I arrived around ten, ordered everything on the menu, sat down, and tucked into a steaming mound of meat. Our verdict was not long in coming. The experience was otherworldly. The brisket was astonishingly tender, but it was actually topped by the pork steak. This was the best barbecue we had ever had. And the chicken, flavored with a mop sauce, was fall-apart delicious.

So who was the genius behind this fantastic meat? The answer added yet another layer of improbability. It turns out that the pitmaster is a petite, energetic 73-year-old woman named Tootsie Tomanetz who works during the week as a custodian in the Giddings school district. I visited with her while she tended her fires and meats, and it quickly became obvious that Snow’s was no mistake. Tootsie knows meat. She’s been smoking since 1967, when she ran the pits at City Meat Market, in Giddings. She and her husband, White, owned a combination meat market, butcher shop, and barbecue joint in Lexington for twenty years. When Snow’s opened five years ago, she helped owner Kerry Bexley design the pits. Every Saturday she arrives at three a.m. and builds the fires. She starts the meat smoking at four and wraps the brisket in butcher paper around six or seven. When I asked her why Snow’s wasn’t open more than one day a week, she said matter-of-factly: “There’s no market for it.”

The story only got better from there. Gwynne learned that Bexley’s initial motive in opening the restaurant was to give his teenage daughters a place to get work experience, something Bexley (whose childhood nickname was Snowman) takes seriously. Prior to his current job as a control room operator at a local power plant, he was a long-haul trucker, a field officer in the prison system, and for fifteen years, a rodeo clown. He also ran his own rodeo, the Rockin’ B Rodeo, for more than a decade.

We were nearly ready to anoint Bexley’s joint as the best in the state. All that remained was to send the Double-Checker, Paul Burka.

Paul Burka: I timed my arrival for one p.m. to see if Snow’s could pass the late-crowd test, but when I got there, the restaurant was closed. Sold out! Empty! Locked! I turned around and headed for Taylor to double-check Louie Mueller’s. The next week I made it to Snow’s before noon, but even as I was contemplating my choices, I heard Bexley telling a customer that the brisket was already gone—too late again. “Texas Monthly has been here the last two weekends,” he added.

“I’m the third,” I said. I ordered pork ribs, chicken, and pork butt. The pork ribs were fantastic. The chicken was perfectly done. The pork butt was tender and yielding. By the time I had finished, Bexley and I were alone. He called me to the counter. “I didn’t want to say anything while other people were here,” he said, “but my daughter is coming in today and I’ve put up some brisket for her. Would you like some?”

Never have I felt such an outpouring of gratitude for my fellow man. He reached into his private stash and put a single slice upon my plate. I took a bite . . . our quest for the best barbecue in Texas was over.

I'm likely eating lunch in Austin this Friday. I've had County Line, Stubbs Iron Works and Salt Lick. What have I missed?
Try House Park BBQ (only takes cash) near 12th and Lamar or Franklin BBQ (a trailer on IH35). Both are asbolutely no frills but serve a solid brisket sandwich. Rudy's is also good if you've never been but it's a chain so I'm guessing you have.For the record, i wasn't suggesting that Austin had great BBQ, in fact kind of the opposite. I was simply stating that even Austin has better BBQ than Black's IMO.

:( And for my personal rankings, it's:5. The new Mega Kruez Market - Lockhart4. Blacks BBQ - Lockhart3. Luling City Market - Luling2. Smitty's Market (The old Kruez location) - Lockhart1. Louie Mueller BBQ - TaylorJ
Try House Park BBQ (only takes cash) near 12th and Lamar or Franklin BBQ (a trailer on IH35). Both are asbolutely no frills but serve a solid brisket sandwich. Rudy's is also good if you've never been but it's a chain so I'm guessing you have.For the record, i wasn't suggesting that Austin had great BBQ, in fact kind of the opposite. I was simply stating that even Austin has better BBQ than Black's IMO.
Thanks! I've had very good BBQ in Austin, and will try to check out House Park on Friday. We have a Rudy's here, and while their brisket is pretty average, I love their sauce! Though I'd rather have brisket so good, I don't want to touch it with sauce.

Since I'll be going south on I35 on Friday, I'll try House Park on Friday, then could catch Franklin on Wed. when coming back on 35. Sounds like a plan!

I do not understand the affinity for Black's. I've had better BBQ at about 5 places in Austin.
Out of the place Joe listed, Black's seems to be the most hit-and-miss to me (though, as I mentioned earlier, I've not had Mueller's). The first time I went, the brisket was mushy and too fatty for my tastes. I went back another time and had a pork rib as good as any I'd ever eaten and the brisket was spot on. Other trips have been solid but not quite on par with Smitty's or Kreuz's. If I am in the mood for sauce though, it's hard to top.

;) And for my personal rankings, it's:5. The new Mega Kruez Market - Lockhart4. Blacks BBQ - Lockhart3. Luling City Market - Luling2. Smitty's Market (The old Kruez location) - Lockhart1. Louie Mueller BBQ - TaylorJ
Interesting. For me, if you put Smitty's and Kreuz in front of me and didn't tell me which was which, I'm not sure I could tell the difference. Both are outstanding - it's the first time that I truly understood that good BBQ doesn't need sauce. Louie Mueller's is the only one of those I haven't had, but apparently that needs to be remedied quickly.
I can see that HK. At this level, the little things make a difference and the atmosphere at Smitty's kills the new Kruez for me. Which is a shame given the story there.J

;) And for my personal rankings, it's:5. The new Mega Kruez Market - Lockhart4. Blacks BBQ - Lockhart3. Luling City Market - Luling2. Smitty's Market (The old Kruez location) - Lockhart1. Louie Mueller BBQ - TaylorJ
Been to Coopers a few years back when I made this tour and thought it was bad. Not sort of bad, but really bad. I accept that I caught them at the wrong time / day / whatever as I know lots of people love them but it was not in the same stratosphere as the Lockhart Trio or Luling City Market or Muellers.J

:goodposting: And for my personal rankings, it's:5. The new Mega Kruez Market - Lockhart4. Blacks BBQ - Lockhart3. Luling City Market - Luling2. Smitty's Market (The old Kruez location) - Lockhart1. Louie Mueller BBQ - TaylorJ
:goodposting:I eat BBQ all the time. I also live within about an hour of 8 of the top 10 BBQ places on planet earth, but still...

:thumbup: And for my personal rankings, it's:

5. The new Mega Kruez Market - Lockhart

4. Blacks BBQ - Lockhart

3. Luling City Market - Luling

2. Smitty's Market (The old Kruez location) - Lockhart

1. Louie Mueller BBQ - Taylor

J
Yes. And it's basically not that different from any other meat. Lots of places do a great BBQ chicken which is the same as Rotisserie chicken. Brisket is a pretty lean meat and it not much different than any lean steak. Pork shoulder has a higher fat content than pork chops or tenderloin but it's not like you're eating the fat.

Sure, you can load up with sides like fried okra and french fries. But you can also do baked beans and cole slaw.

J
Not to turn a nice BBQ thread into a nutritional thread, but I've never heard brisket referred to as a lean meat before.

There is a place in Greenville, NC where I went to college (ECU) called B's Barbecue, and they are only open for lunch. If you aren't there before 12:30 pm, you miss out cause all the BBQ is gone by then and they close. They also serve BBQ Chicken which is very good, but their BBQ is fantastic and it's my favorite in NC. You have to pay in cash and they have no phone.

Not to turn a nice BBQ thread into a nutritional thread, but I've never heard brisket referred to as a lean meat before.
Brisket comes from the shoulder of a cow and is generally a tough, lean piece of meat which is why you slow cook it for best results. There will be a "flat" and a "point" part of the brisket. The flat part is lean; teh point is where the fat and moistness comes in.

It's tough to rank the top BBQ joints. For me, each has something that I like at different times.

Black's - Best Beans. Meat is typically good, but they've missed on a couple occasions

Meuller's - I live in Taylor and think they are pretty inconsistent. Great cole slaw. Good turkey.

Kreuz - The best and most consistent meat by a wide margin. The brisket is like butter. 1b on the beans with Black's. Good potato salad.

Cooper's - Good beans. Good cobbler. Terrible meat (both times).

If I had to pick one, it's Kreuz at this point. Still need to hit up Luling, Snow's and Smitty's, but it's tough to drive any further than Kreuz.

Brisket comes from the shoulder of a cow and is generally a tough, lean piece of meat which is why you slow cook it for best results. There will be a "flat" and a "point" part of the brisket. The flat part is lean; teh point is where the fat and moistness comes in.
OK thanks for explaining.

Thanks! I've had very good BBQ in Austin, and will try to check out House Park on Friday. We have a Rudy's here, and while their brisket is pretty average, I love their sauce! Though I'd rather have brisket so good, I don't want to touch it with sauce.
I know a lot of BBQ snobs like to hate on Rudy's because it lacks the authenticity of the great small town places. But I was in Austin for a conference a couple weeks ago and after years of living away from Texas I needed some Texas BBQ but couldn't take the time for a side trip. So I went to the Rudy's on 360. I gotta say, that is actually some very fine BBQ. Not up there with places like Cooper's, etc., but I thought all of the meats I had ("moist" brisket, St. Louis ribs, ribeye and sausage) were very good. In fact, the brisket and ribs were outstanding.

I know a lot of BBQ snobs like to hate on Rudy's because it lacks the authenticity of the great small town places. But I was in Austin for a conference a couple weeks ago and after years of living away from Texas I needed some Texas BBQ but couldn't take the time for a side trip. So I went to the Rudy's on 360. I gotta say, that is actually some very fine BBQ. Not up there with places like Cooper's, etc., but I thought all of the meats I had ("moist" brisket, St. Louis ribs, ribeye and sausage) were very good. In fact, the brisket and ribs were outstanding.
Rudy's unnecessarily gets a bad rap. It's consistent, fairly priced and offers a great variety. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who hasn't been there.

Been to Coopers a few years back when I made this tour and thought it was bad. Not sort of bad, but really bad. I accept that I caught them at the wrong time / day / whatever as I know lots of people love them but it was not in the same stratosphere as the Lockhart Trio or Luling City Market or Muellers.J
I've only been there once and it was back in about 2002, but it was great that day.Sadly I've heard more people report bad experiences there in recent years.Llano is still the neatest little town in Texas though.

This all reminds me that I'm smoking my first brisket of the summer Friday night/Saturday afternoon. Got my oak and pecan wood ready to go and am budgeted for about 18 hours of smoking!

Rudy's unnecessarily gets a bad rap. It's consistent, fairly priced and offers a great variety. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone who hasn't been there.
That was my point. Glad you agree.It isn't one of the traditional temples of BBQ, but I took a couple guys who aren't Texans there and they LOVED it. But they had no pre-conceived notions either.

Users who are viewing this thread