What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*NBA THREAD* Abe will be missed (2 Viewers)

:lmao: As a player?

@ESPNSteinLine · 4m4 minutes ago

RT @APkrawczynski: AP Source: Timberwolves are not bringing KG back for just this year. They want to do a two-year extension with him
Player/coach revival?
As awesome as player/coach KG would be - the single season record for technical fouls would get shattered - salary cap rules prevent player/coaches from happening. No inside info here, but KG coming back to Minnesota only makes sense if he's looking to take on a larger role with the team when he's done as a player. Gut reaction is he will buy part of the team, possibly escalating into KG being the face of a group taking the team off Glen Taylor's hands.
That would be cool. I like that kind of stuff.

Listening to Simmons' podcast on the trade deadline it's hard not to think Miami got an incredible steal in Dragic. Their was a tidbit that he has 4000 less minutes on his odometer then Westbrook.

Dragic has had the ball 40% less this season and his pts per touch is actually higher this season. All this after his 3rd-team NBA campaign last season.
Watch a lot of the Suns because I spend most of my time in the Phoenix area and agree Dragic hasn't played any worse this year. Just played off the ball a lot more.

Time will really tell if it's a "steal" for Miami. Before the Bosh injury, I didn't really consider it a steal either way. (Because Heat are going to have to pay Dragic a reported $20 mil/yr -- in all likelihood -- well into his 30s). Rarely do these deals work out well for teams long term [particularly paying max money for a non-superstar in Dragic]. Even with a substantial salary cap increase, we're talking 20-25% of the team's cap.

If Bosh injury is a career ender (or significantly alters his performance long term), it increases the chances those picks will be pretty good. (1 pick is Top 7 protected 2017&2018 and becomes unprotected in 2019 and the other is completely unprotected in 2021). It's hard to think the Heat won't be in some sort of rebuild mode post-Wade and either late career Bosh or post-Bosh. And hard to think the Heat are anywhere close to contenders with or without Dragic (particularly with Bosh future unknown and Wade not getting any younger). Not to mention, by the current NBA rules they'll have to let Whiteside become unrestricted FA in 2016 (won't have his Bird Rights & won't have the luxury of matching any offer he gets). Given the scheduled salary cap increase, teams will be loaded with cap space & retaining him will be very difficult (if he's able to keep playing at current level)

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao: As a player?

@ESPNSteinLine · 4m4 minutes ago

RT @APkrawczynski: AP Source: Timberwolves are not bringing KG back for just this year. They want to do a two-year extension with him
Player/coach revival?
As awesome as player/coach KG would be - the single season record for technical fouls would get shattered - salary cap rules prevent player/coaches from happening. No inside info here, but KG coming back to Minnesota only makes sense if he's looking to take on a larger role with the team when he's done as a player. Gut reaction is he will buy part of the team, possibly escalating into KG being the face of a group taking the team off Glen Taylor's hands.
That would be cool. I like that kind of stuff.
It's bizarre how much the financials of the sport escalated so quickly.

The Timberwolves entered the league in the 1989-1990 season for an expansion fee of IIRC $32.5MM. The original owners weren't super wealthy, but owned a chain of fitness clubs and saw owning an NBA team and building a downtown arena as a marketing vehicle for their fitness clubs and a way to add a downtown location to their chain. The color scheme of the original logo and uniforms matched the fitness clubs.

Fast forward five years. The owners privately financed the downtown arena so they could also put a fitness club in it, and now they owe like $75MM on their Target Center mortgage and they don't have the money. The team came really close to getting sold and moved to either Nashville (Gaylord wanted to bring a major sports team to Nashville and own Target Center) or New Orleans (Top Rank wanted to build an arena in New Orleans and had the Superdome available to move the team right away).

The Twin Cities had just lost the NorthStars to Dallas and losing two major sports franchises in 2-3 years would have been devastating to the Cities' profile.

Music producer "Jimmy Jam" Harris, the team's #1 fan who sat courtside for every game, tried to put together an ownership group and become the first black owner of an NBA team. He couldn't put together enough backers with enough money.

So then this quiet piece of white bread from Mankato who made a ####load of money printing billions of wedding invitations and marketing mailers shows up with a Brinks truck and says he wants to buy the team, work out a debt solution for the arena, and enter a long-term agreement to keep the Timberwolves in Minnesota.

He closes the deal, hires a couple of U of MN alumni to run the team, and with their first draft pick they select a high school kid named Kevin Garnett.

Now NBA franchises are worth a billion or two depending on market size. And that high school kid has enough dough to be the face of an ownership group himself.

Ferris, is there enough info out there to know if KG has been smart with his loot? Like business savy, where his $300M is now 6-7?

Listening to Simmons' podcast on the trade deadline it's hard not to think Miami got an incredible steal in Dragic. Their was a tidbit that he has 4000 less minutes on his odometer then Westbrook.

Dragic has had the ball 40% less this season and his pts per touch is actually higher this season. All this after his 3rd-team NBA campaign last season.
Watch a lot of the Suns because I spend most of my time in the Phoenix area and agree Dragic hasn't played any worse this year. Just played off the ball a lot more.

Time will really tell if it's a "steal" for Miami. Before the Bosh injury, I didn't really consider it a steal either way. (Because Heat are going to have to pay Dragic a reported $20 mil/yr -- in all likelihood -- well into his 30s). Rarely do these deals work out well for teams long term [particularly paying max money for a non-superstar in Dragic]. Even with a substantial salary cap increase, we're talking 20-25% of the team's cap.

If Bosh injury is a career ender (or significantly alters his performance long term), it increases the chances those picks will be pretty good. (1 pick is Top 7 protected 2017&2018 and becomes unprotected in 2019 and the other is completely unprotected in 2021). It's hard to think the Heat won't be in some sort of rebuild mode post-Wade and either late career Bosh or post-Bosh. And hard to think the Heat are anywhere close to contenders with or without Dragic (particularly with Bosh future unknown and Wade not getting any younger). Not to mention, by the current NBA rules they'll have to let Whiteside become unrestricted FA in 2016 (won't have his Bird Rights & won't have the luxury of matching any offer he gets). Given the scheduled salary cap increase, teams will be loaded with cap space & retaining him will be very difficult (if he's able to keep playing at current level)
If Bosh can't play again (unlikely, but possible) is any salary exception given?

Ferris, is there enough info out there to know if KG has been smart with his loot? Like business savy, where his $300M is now 6-7?
He took care of a lot of people along the way, so he's worth even $400MM he's done great. After taxes, agents, business managers, etc, that $327MM he's made in salaries was cut at least in half before it got to him. He made some good endorsement money but never was a money man in a startup that blew up or anything like that.

Can someone please explain what a clear path foul is? I have absolutely no idea how they call it.

Hopefully someone I can find the clip but I'll try to explain. Derozan and a Houston player are well ahead of the play after a Brewer steal. Brewer throws a long pass ahead and well before the ball gets there, Derozan is called for holding. So essentially, a player get called for a foul away from the play, ahead of the play, is called for clear path foul. Clearly ahead of the play but the ball is nowhere to be found.

SoBeDad said:
Craig_MiamiFL said:
Daywalker said:

If Bosh can't play again (unlikely, but possible) is any salary exception given?
I don't know enough to know what exactly but I imagine they would.

Heat got a salary cap exception for McRoberts knee injury -- just had to have a doctor deem his knee injury season ending (which happened -- even though he's back now). Read they may use it to get Andray Blatche. Imagine scenario would hold true for Bosh (if deemed career ending)

Can someone please explain what a clear path foul is? I have absolutely no idea how they call it.

Hopefully someone I can find the clip but I'll try to explain. Derozan and a Houston player are well ahead of the play after a Brewer steal. Brewer throws a long pass ahead and well before the ball gets there, Derozan is called for holding. So essentially, a player get called for a foul away from the play, ahead of the play, is called for clear path foul. Clearly ahead of the play but the ball is nowhere to be found.

When teams are playing hack-a-Shaq/Jordan, many times they are way ahead of the play and a clear path foul is not given.

Didn't see the play in question.

The intent of the rule is to prevent fouling a offensive player from behind on a fastbreak when there is no one between the offensive player and the basket. There isn't specific language in the rulebook saying the offensive player has to have the ball to be eligible for a clear path foul, but that's usually when it's called.

The key to the call is judging if the foul was committed to prevent an easy basket, and if no other defender has a chance to prevent an easy basket.

I could see a clear path foul call being made if the pass was in the air, the receiver had a step on the defender, and no trailing defenders had a chance to contest the dunk/layup about to happen. But it would be unusual.

When teams are playing hack-a-Shaq/Jordan, many times they are way ahead of the play and a clear path foul is not given.
I am pretty sure the ball has to be at least on the way to the player. Not only that, but if another player was between Jordan and the basket then it negates clear path.

I am pretty sure the ball has to be at least on the way to the player. Not only that, but if another player was between Jordan and the basket then it negates clear path.
I've seen it called without the ball on the way. As long as the player has a clear path and the referee interprets the intent to stop a break away they can call it.

:lmao: Knicks. Just wow. It's a victory for them if they just hit the rim on a shot.

Other tanking teams have their work cut out.

great game by the atl hawks today they just took the bucks out the old woodshed it was pretty bad the bucks will not be the same without knight and they did not play a lot of teh new guys so hey i guess it is what it is but jeez atl can score points in bunches take that to the bank brohans

Long Ball Larry said:
What the hell is up with Thomas Robinson? How could 4 teams give up on a number 5 pick in 3 years?
He's an undersized 4. he has decent athleticism and a good motor. Otherwise he doesn't have any NBA skills. :shrug:

Who the #### are the GrUBS
Grizzlies.... just carrying on with mocking the stupid DUBS nickname.
No. You're just being stupid.In DUBS news. Finally lost our 10th game of the season to the Pacers and Rodney Stuckey's best game ever.

Curry didn't play, but I hope he does for the next 3... WIZ, CAVS, and RAPS. If there's no Curry we could have our first 4 game losing streak.

Long Ball Larry said:
What the hell is up with Thomas Robinson? How could 4 teams give up on a number 5 pick in 3 years?
No shooting range.

Not much of a passer.

Foul magnet.

Great rebounder and motor, but other skills didn't develop.

Long Ball Larry said:
No shooting range. Not much of a passer.

Foul magnet.

Great rebounder and motor, but other skills didn't develop.
Yep. He doesn't fit in the pace and space era.

A big needs to be able to defend or stretch the floor at an above average level in order to stick.

Individual rebounding has become less valued and a great motor is useless if you do nothing positive fit the team.

Users who are viewing this thread