What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (6 Viewers)

Also the beginning was a rip off of 28 days later.I would have also done the entrance into Atlanta differently. I really like the horse idea, but have him galloping into the city only to come upon a little girl running for her life from some zombies - have him shoot the zombie , the little girl comes to the side of the horse and then the horde starts filling the street with zombie from all the buildings - the girl falls prey after he franticly tries to get her on the horse with him, he then falls off the horse and ends up in the tank.What do you think?
I think what you wrote has no basis from the comics. The characters at the camp site already gave the viewer a hint that no one should be in Atlanta. I doubt some little girl would survive in that chaos.
There was a tank in the comics? Seem like the writer took some liberties with the source already. I was just explaining how I felt it could have been done better/differently.

If the zombies become peripheral I probably won't stick with it. Based on the writing and acting in the first episode, which was very average, I don't think a drama about these people dealing with each other is enough to support a good show.
how can you make that determination based on one episode?You haven't even met most of the important characters yet. I never understand people giving up on a show based on one episode especially if it is an arc based type show. This is not Law and Order where every episode stands on its own. This is going to be a continuous story.
Instead it gave me a meditative look through the eyes of characters I found flat and kind of dull. And it started the story at what is (for me) the absolutely least interesting time. After the zombies have taken the world by surprise but before the survivors have formed unique adaptations to a world with a zombie infestation.
again, I recommend you wait. You are quite mistaken if you think that there are not people who have already formed adaptations to a world with a zombie infestation. In fact that to me is what drives this story. As I mentioned earlier, the zombies are great but the true awesomeness of the story is the survivors and what they do in this climate.Remember that you do not yet know how much time has passed since Rick got shot and woke up in the hospital.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also the beginning was a rip off of 28 days later.
I haven't watched the episode yet (its on my dvr), but I think a bunch of people have already pointed out that the waking-up-in-the-hospital beginning predates 28 Days.
28 days later was the first zombie film I saw with it done.
Memo to all you guys saying this is a copycat version of Alex Garland's 28 Days Later.FACT:The Walking Dead is a black and white comic book written by Rob Kirkman, he had written it in 1999, it was never published until 2003. 28 Days Later came out November 1, 2002. The only similarities I see between TWD and 28 is the hospital scene.
Can we stop dwelling on the waking up in a hospital now that we're past it in the series?

Also the beginning was a rip off of 28 days later.I would have also done the entrance into Atlanta differently. I really like the horse idea, but have him galloping into the city only to come upon a little girl running for her life from some zombies - have him shoot the zombie , the little girl comes to the side of the horse and then the horde starts filling the street with zombie from all the buildings - the girl falls prey after he franticly tries to get her on the horse with him, he then falls off the horse and ends up in the tank.What do you think?
I think what you wrote has no basis from the comics. The characters at the camp site already gave the viewer a hint that no one should be in Atlanta. I doubt some little girl would survive in that chaos.
There was a tank in the comics? Seem like the writer took some liberties with the source already. I was just explaining how I felt it could have been done better/differently.
Atlanta was to have been protected by the military, as Lennie James character explained to Rick.Items like tanks and other military goodies are an important part of the infrastructure of the story.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, there was a tank in the comics. To be fair, in the comics Rick never gets in the tank, he meet Glenn and they make their escape from the zombie hordes (probably to be seen in Ep 2), but that visual is very much straight from Tony Moore's pencil.

I haven't watched the episode yet (its on my dvr), but I think a bunch of people have already pointed out that the waking-up-in-the-hospital beginning predates 28 Days.
It's too bad they were written at the same time and this was already covered ad nauseum.Reading this whole thread woulda been too much work though, I hear ya.

If the zombies become peripheral I probably won't stick with it. Based on the writing and acting in the first episode, which was very average, I don't think a drama about these people dealing with each other is enough to support a good show.
how can you make that determination based on one episode?You haven't even met most of the important characters yet. I never understand people giving up on a show based on one episode especially if it is an arc based type show. This is not Law and Order where every episode stands on its own. This is going to be a continuous story.
In what way did I infer I was giving up after one episode? I indicated at what point I would IF the show became a mediocre drama with little zombie impact. I liked the way the episode was shot, I thought the effects were extremely impressive, but thought acting and dialogue were passable at best and pretty weak in some spots.I understand being a fan of something and defending it fiercely against those who don't seem to appreciate it. I'm not familiar with any of the source material but a huge fan of zombie stories and end-of-the-world scenarios, so I'm hopeful the writing improves and the zombies remain prevalent.

I'm not a zombie/horror movie kind of guy. I'm not a fan of comic book "novels" or whatever either. But this was pretty good. :popcorn:

I'm not a zombie/horror movie kind of guy. I'm not a fan of comic book "novels" or whatever either. But this was pretty good. :thumbup:
As a comic book fan, the "Based on the graphic novels by Robert Kirkman & Tony Moore & Charlie Adlard" bugs me, but I understand why they did it. Ultimately the "graphic novels" are nothing more than collected reprints of six issues at a time of the comic book series.

Was looking forward to this show a whole lot, but was mad because the timing coincided with the Steeler-Saints game, so I was upset. Little did I know that they would replay it again, and I was happy as #### when I saw it on again. Thought the show was good, looking forward to the next one. One of my favorite genres. Thought the acting/visuals/suspence, were very good.

All well and good, but your original statement doesn't fly. It wasn't a rip-off of 28 days later. All of these movies have ripped the intro from Day of the Trifillids (sp) from the 50's. There have been a number of Post-apocalyptic movies that have started from the hospital awakening or amnesia awakening. Resident Evil, which pre-dates 28 days, is another example.

All well and good, but your original statement doesn't fly. It wasn't a rip-off of 28 days later. All of these movies have ripped the intro from Day of the Trifillids (sp) from the 50's. There have been a number of Post-apocalyptic movies that have started from the hospital awakening or amnesia awakening. Resident Evil, which pre-dates 28 days, is another example.
The story of Rip Van Winkle, written by Washington Irving in 1819, FTW!!Course that story didn't have zombies, but still...

The story of Rip Van Winkle, written by Washington Irving in 1819, FTW!!Course that story didn't have zombies, but still...
And technically he didn't have amnesia, nor was he in a coma, he was just a lush.

I'm not a zombie/horror movie kind of guy. I'm not a fan of comic book "novels" or whatever either. But this was pretty good. :kicksrock:
As a comic book fan, the "Based on the graphic novels by Robert Kirkman & Tony Moore & Charlie Adlard" bugs me, but I understand why they did it. Ultimately the "graphic novels" are nothing more than collected reprints of six issues at a time of the comic book series.
I think that is just advertising/marketing at work for you. I think Graphic Novels has more appeal to marketers than comic books. I couldn't list them all, but I remember quite a few successful movies with that tagline. Kind of like the thought that comic books are less cool than graphic novels.I did enjoy the episode and will definitely keep watching. I do agree that I hope it spends more time on the zombie survival versus turning it into people are worse than zombies theme. Then again, I don't know anything about the comic books, so maybe that is what they are about. I just think it would be way more interesting in a survival mode to see how people cope and attempt to live in this environment.

I'm not a zombie/horror movie kind of guy. I'm not a fan of comic book "novels" or whatever either. But this was pretty good. :lmao:
I think that is just advertising/marketing at work for you. I think Graphic Novels has more appeal to marketers than comic books. I couldn't list them all, but I remember quite a few successful movies with that tagline. Kind of like the thought that comic books are less cool than graphic novels.I did enjoy the episode and will definitely keep watching. I do agree that I hope it spends more time on the zombie survival versus turning it into people are worse than zombies theme. Then again, I don't know anything about the comic books, so maybe that is what they are about. I just think it would be way more interesting in a survival mode to see how people cope and attempt to live in this environment.
The comics have a bit of both. Constant threat and incidents with zombies with sporadic threats and incidents with other survivors.

:lmao: so far. I've never really been a big zombie fan, but AMC seems to be doing a lot of things right these days. I don't want to elicit spoilers but they didn't seem to cover why the deputy's wife didn't come get him out of the hospital before she split.

:lmao: Lots of folks missed out on the outstanding Rubicon series recently because they expected instant gratification.
Winner, winner...Let it develop folks! Not that Rubicon bears a resemble of Hitchcock films, but rent/buy Suspicion. Molasses slow development by today's standards, but the storyline stays true and if you are a fan of his films, it will be a film to be enjoyed several times.

:lmao: so far. I've never really been a big zombie fan, but AMC seems to be doing a lot of things right these days. I don't want to elicit spoilers but they didn't seem to cover why the deputy's wife didn't come get him out of the hospital before she split.
Pretty sure when she split, it had all gone to hell with the patients at the hospital being zombie lunches and she just assumed he was a goner.

:goodposting: so far. I've never really been a big zombie fan, but AMC seems to be doing a lot of things right these days. I don't want to elicit spoilers but they didn't seem to cover why the deputy's wife didn't come get him out of the hospital before she split.
Pretty sure when she split, it had all gone to hell with the patients at the hospital being zombie lunches and she just assumed he was a goner.
By the looks of it, he was there at least a few days (probably alot more) all alone. How did he survive? How did he get nourishment (food/drink) to stay alive being that he was out cold? Hope we find out.

By the looks of it, he was there at least a few days (probably alot more) all alone. How did he survive? How did he get nourishment (food/drink) to stay alive being that he was out cold? Hope we find out.
I thought about that too. But when he opened the door to his room he had some trouble because there was a gurney jammed in front of his door. Perhaps in the chaos, the zombies just went around it and never bothered trying to open his door.

:pickle: so far. I've never really been a big zombie fan, but AMC seems to be doing a lot of things right these days. I don't want to elicit spoilers but they didn't seem to cover why the deputy's wife didn't come get him out of the hospital before she split.
I thought about that too. But when he opened the door to his room he had some trouble because there was a gurney jammed in front of his door. Perhaps in the chaos, the zombies just went around it and never bothered trying to open his door.
I didn't mean the zombies getting at him, I meant how he stayed hydrated/nourished when he was in a coma and no nurses etc...were around for what seemed quite a long time.

MONSTER ratings for the first episode.

5.3mm viewers, 3.6mm in the 18-49 demo. Best AMC ratings ever, and best ratings for a new cable series this year.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/liv...d-ratings-34098

By comparison, Mad Men had less than 1 million viewers the first episode and Rubicon and Breaking Bad were both under 2 million.
that is fantastic!!Obviously the ratings will drive a second season if they continue (which if approved will be a 13 episode season instead of the micro 6 episode season one).

:pickle: so far. I've never really been a big zombie fan, but AMC seems to be doing a lot of things right these days. I don't want to elicit spoilers but they didn't seem to cover why the deputy's wife didn't come get him out of the hospital before she split.
Yeah, they never get into specifics other than to suggest he was lucky to have been passed over in all the chaos, and was presumably sustained by the IV in his arm for a few days.

MONSTER ratings for the first episode.

5.3mm viewers, 3.6mm in the 18-49 demo. Best AMC ratings ever, and best ratings for a new cable series this year.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/liv...d-ratings-34098

By comparison, Mad Men had less than 1 million viewers the first episode and Rubicon and Breaking Bad were both under 2 million.
that is fantastic!!Obviously the ratings will drive a second season if they continue (which if approved will be a 13 episode season instead of the micro 6 episode season one).
Apparently there was word that AMC had already greenlit a 13 episode 2nd season, but was keeping it under wraps. I suspect that monstrous ratings number will cause them to make it official.

:thumbup: so far. I've never really been a big zombie fan, but AMC seems to be doing a lot of things right these days. I don't want to elicit spoilers but they didn't seem to cover why the deputy's wife didn't come get him out of the hospital before she split.
Yeah, they never get into specifics other than to suggest he was lucky to have been passed over in all the chaos, and was presumably sustained by the IV in his arm for a few days.
Yeah but who changed the IV? Those need changed at least a couple times per day. And we see he grew a beard, and the plant his buddy brought was dead. Those couple hints suggest the time elapsed was roughly 5 days or so. Perhaps I am reading too much into it. :gang2:

:thumbup: so far. I've never really been a big zombie fan, but AMC seems to be doing a lot of things right these days. I don't want to elicit spoilers but they didn't seem to cover why the deputy's wife didn't come get him out of the hospital before she split.
Yeah but who changed the IV? Those need changed at least a couple times per day. And we see he grew a beard, and the plant his buddy brought was dead. Those couple hints suggest the time elapsed was roughly 5 days or so. Perhaps I am reading too much into it. :gang2:
:goodposting: It's a plot device simply to inject a character into a world unknown to him and chronicle how he deals with it. Let it go man...

:shrug: so far. I've never really been a big zombie fan, but AMC seems to be doing a lot of things right these days. I don't want to elicit spoilers but they didn't seem to cover why the deputy's wife didn't come get him out of the hospital before she split.
Yeah but who changed the IV? Those need changed at least a couple times per day. And we see he grew a beard, and the plant his buddy brought was dead. Those couple hints suggest the time elapsed was roughly 5 days or so. Perhaps I am reading too much into it. :shrug:
He would have also messed that bed up nasty, if someone was not there cleaning it for him.Also he would have needed some type of pain killer, never mind riding a freaking horse a few days after just getting it to the hospital from a gun shot wound.

:shrug: so far. I've never really been a big zombie fan, but AMC seems to be doing a lot of things right these days. I don't want to elicit spoilers but they didn't seem to cover why the deputy's wife didn't come get him out of the hospital before she split.
Yeah but who changed the IV? Those need changed at least a couple times per day. And we see he grew a beard, and the plant his buddy brought was dead. Those couple hints suggest the time elapsed was roughly 5 days or so. Perhaps I am reading too much into it. :shrug:
Yep, you've got to chalk this up to one of those "they would NEVER do that" kind of things. My wife (a biologist by trade) cringes at some of the lab techniques they use in CSI, but it doesn't get in the way of her enjoying the procedural. I think you should consider this in the same vein. Let's just say that in a world where zombies can eradicate the populace in a matter of three weeks, a human can sustain on an IV for a couple of days. :)

It's a plot device simply to inject a character into a world unknown to him and chronicle how he deals with it. Let it go man...
I know I know, but when the characters make a big deal about the plant, then they show in a close up that the plant was long dead when he awoke, and then showed him shaving all that facial hair off in the shower, thats two pretty big "plot devices", to put that much emphasis in each. :shrug:I'll try letting it go. But I would like some answers! This isn't LOST!

Looks like he could have been there up to 10 days:http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/how...-without-water/

He would have also messed that bed up nasty, if someone was not there cleaning it for him.Also he would have needed some type of pain killer, never mind riding a freaking horse a few days after just getting it to the hospital from a gun shot wound.
Looked like longer than a few days since things went to hell but only a few days since the hospital fell. So, lets say a month since the outbreak and only a few days since the hospital was overrun. So he would have been receiving constant care until a few days prior to waking up.

It's a plot device simply to inject a character into a world unknown to him and chronicle how he deals with it. Let it go man...
I know I know, but when the characters make a big deal about the plant, then they show in a close up that the plant was long dead when he awoke, and then showed him shaving all that facial hair off in the shower, thats two pretty big "plot devices", to put that much emphasis in each. :shrug:I'll try letting it go. But I would like some answers! This isn't LOST!
It's not at all germane to the story other than to set up the status quo, which is a man trying to find his family after a zombie apocalypse.

Yeah but who changed the IV? Those need changed at least a couple times per day. And we see he grew a beard, and the plant his buddy brought was dead. Those couple hints suggest the time elapsed was roughly 5 days or so. Perhaps I am reading too much into it. :lmao:
:no: It's a plot device simply to inject a character into a world unknown to him and chronicle how he deals with it. Let it go man...
I for one demand a certain level of realism in my flesh-eating-zombie-apocalypse movies.

Looked like longer than a few days since things went to hell but only a few days since the hospital fell. So, lets say a month since the outbreak and only a few days since the hospital was overrun. So he would have been receiving constant care until a few days prior to waking up.
Yeah, this.

Yeah but who changed the IV? Those need changed at least a couple times per day. And we see he grew a beard, and the plant his buddy brought was dead. Those couple hints suggest the time elapsed was roughly 5 days or so. Perhaps I am reading too much into it. :)
:yes: It's a plot device simply to inject a character into a world unknown to him and chronicle how he deals with it. Let it go man...
I for one demand a certain level of realism in my flesh-eating-zombie-apocalypse movies.
:lmao: I both love and pity these people.Same people that will look at Jessica Biel in a bikini and find as many flaws as possible with her. "yeah, she's barely a 7/10, too skinny, I wouldn't hit that if she were the last woman on earth"

Everyone is a critic.

:lmao: I both love and pity these people.

Same people that will look at Jessica Biel in a bikini and find as many flaws as possible with her. "yeah, she's barely a 7/10, too skinny, I wouldn't hit that if she were the last woman on earth"

Everyone is a critic.
So you love and pity yourself as well? :)

Same people that will look at Jessica Biel in a bikini and find as many flaws as possible with her. "yeah, she's barely a 7/10, too skinny, I wouldn't hit that if she were the last woman on earth"

Everyone is a critic.
So you love and pity yourself as well? :)
I'm loving and pitying myself right now. :lmao: :bag:
I knew you'd make an appearance in a zombie thread.
LFD is so much more entertaining than a movie.

Yeah but who changed the IV? Those need changed at least a couple times per day. And we see he grew a beard, and the plant his buddy brought was dead. Those couple hints suggest the time elapsed was roughly 5 days or so. Perhaps I am reading too much into it. :)
:lmao: It's a plot device simply to inject a character into a world unknown to him and chronicle how he deals with it. Let it go man...
:lmao: I both love and pity these people.Same people that will look at Jessica Biel in a bikini and find as many flaws as possible with her. "yeah, she's barely a 7/10, too skinny, I wouldn't hit that if she were the last woman on earth"

Everyone is a critic.
I must say, I have never heard this particular critique of Jessica Biel.

Everyone is a critic.
So you love and pity yourself as well? :unsure:
I'm loving and pitying myself right now. :unsure: :bag:
I knew you'd make an appearance in a zombie thread.
LFD is so much more entertaining than a movie.
:rolleyes: This guy knows things.

Impressed with the special effects. Not sure if I like the actors yet. I thought the dude with his son over-acted a bit. Definitely has potential. One thing I always wonder about watching zombie movies...are the characters familiar with the concept of zombies before they show up? When the dude with his son explained how the dead came alive, how they became "walkers", the cop was like huh? I would have said, "So...they're zombies?" Is the concept completely foreign to everyone?
IMO, most times the concept of zombies is foreign to the characters - i.e., they're not horror fans and as such would not be "in the know" as to what they're experiencing. The characters know that these people were alive, died, and then came back to life. It's only over time that they come to realize what they're facing.
You're talking about zombies, right?

Couple of complaints:

1) If you saw the Comic-con trailer, none of this surprised you. That more or less told the whole story in two minutes.

2) I think the ending diluted the situation he was in (the radio broadcast to the tank). I think they should have ended it with the tank lid closing. Personally, a better ending would have been him in the tank with the realization that the zombies banging would only attract more zombies....thus entombing him until he dies....

I said the same thing about polar bears on Lost, wish I'd followed through.

Couple of complaints:1) If you saw the Comic-con trailer, none of this surprised you. That more or less told the whole story in two minutes.2) I think the ending diluted the situation he was in (the radio broadcast to the tank). I think they should have ended it with the tank lid closing. Personally, a better ending would have been him in the tank with the realization that the zombies banging would only attract more zombies....thus entombing him until he dies....
To take it a step further, they should have cut to years in the future, showing him as a corpse slumped against the army dude.

Users who are viewing this thread