What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (3 Viewers)

How do they get power at the farm? Did they ever say? Generator I am assuming?Also, what about the utilities and dams and nuclear power plants and stuff. No one to maintain them or run them.
An episode or two ago, Rick was talking to Hershel while he put gasoline in a generator.

How do they get power at the farm? Did they ever say? Generator I am assuming?Also, what about the utilities and dams and nuclear power plants and stuff. No one to maintain them or run them.
Didn't they show Hershel working on a generator?

How do they get power at the farm? Did they ever say? Generator I am assuming?

Also, what about the utilities and dams and nuclear power plants and stuff. No one to maintain them or run them.
An episode or two ago, Rick was talking to Hershel while he put gasoline in a generator.
In Lucifer's Hammer, a novel about the collapse of society after a comet strike, the enclave's first battle is against a conglomeration of army deserters and inner city thugs bent on conquest, slavery and cannibalism. But their second battle is to protect a nearby nuclear power plant from religious fanatics, reasoning that electrical power is the absolute key to a fast reconstruction of modern life.

Also, what about the utilities and dams and nuclear power plants and stuff. No one to maintain them or run them.
In Lucifer's Hammer, a novel about the collapse of society after a comet strike, the enclave's first battle is against a conglomeration of army deserters and inner city thugs bent on conquest, slavery and cannibalism. But their second battle is to protect a nearby nuclear power plant from religious fanatics, reasoning that electrical power is the absolute key to a fast reconstruction of modern life.
Sounds good.

Sounds good.
It is.

Great book. Every time I see a surfer I think of the surfers of the Cali coast riding the tidal wave.

Great book. Every time I see a surfer I think of the surfers of the Cali coast riding the tidal wave.
I liked it very much, too. It even had a part in it that I thought about during the earlier discussions in here about Shane. There was a scene where outsiders tried to force their way through the enclave entrance by pulling a gun on the guard. As soon as the guard's hands went up in the air in a certain way, an enclave sniper hidden further back drilled one of the attempted interlopers. That interloper would be Shane, trying to use brute force to take something and running into somebody else 10 times smarter.

Comic spolier (I've only read through the first 11 so far, but this contains future speculation drawn from differences between the comics/show.)

Anyone think that even though Shane is alive now, his manner of death (from the comics) will eventually be the same in the show? Carl is carrying a gun and stood up to Shane in a recent episode about them staying until they find Sofia.

Seems like a perfect setup for him to be the one that takes Shane out if Shane threatens Rick (oh, say towards the end of this season?)

Shane's decision turned out to look correct because a critical and wild-card piece of information was missing. If zombie Sophia was roaming the woods or still stuck in the marsh, it's reasonable to assume they would've found her and been done with the search long ago.
This is nonsense. It was a matter of whether or not she could reasonably be expected to be found alive, not whether or not she could be reasonably expected to be found at all. What is the point in finding her if she's a zombie? Closure? What is that worth? And how much time as been lost and how many people have been put at risk in the meantime?As to how much time they spent there, I don't know. How long would it take for a little boy to recover from a gunshot wound with 6 pieces of shrapnel impeded in him under the care of a veterinarian?

Last edited by a moderator:
Comic spolier (I've only read through the first 11 so far, but this contains future speculation drawn from differences between the comics/show.)

Anyone think that even though Shane is alive now, his manner of death (from the comics) will eventually be the same in the show? Carl is carrying a gun and stood up to Shane in a recent episode about them staying until they find Sofia.Seems like a perfect setup for him to be the one that takes Shane out if Shane threatens Rick (oh, say towards the end of this season?)
One of those things that seems too predictable for this show.

Anyone think that even though Shane is alive now, his manner of death (from the comics) will eventually be the same in the show? Carl is carrying a gun and stood up to Shane in a recent episode about them staying until they find Sofia.Seems like a perfect setup for him to be the one that takes Shane out if Shane threatens Rick (oh, say towards the end of this season?)
Shane is one of the better characters on the show, that's why I'm hoping the writers realize this and will not kill him off. If he goes, then we're not left with much of anything in terms of OK acting and interesting characters. It would be a big hit to the show if they get rid of Shane, unless they introduce another strong person, or give heroin dude and his ghost brother more storyline.

Shane is one of the better characters on the show, that's why I'm hoping the writers realize this and will not kill him off. If he goes, then we're not left with much of anything in terms of OK acting and interesting characters. It would be a big hit to the show if they get rid of Shane, unless they introduce another strong person, or give heroin dude and his ghost brother more storyline.
Michonne, for the win.

Shane's decision turned out to look correct because a critical and wild-card piece of information was missing.

If zombie Sophia was roaming the woods or still stuck in the marsh, it's reasonable to assume they would've found her and been done with the search long ago.
This is nonsense. It was a matter of whether or not she could reasonably be expected to be found alive, not whether or not she could be reasonably expected to be found at all. What is the point in finding her if she's a zombie? Closure? What is that worth? And how much time as been lost and how many people have been put at risk in the meantime?As to how much time they spent there, I don't know. How long would it take for a little boy to recover from a gunshot wound with 6 pieces of shrapnel impeded in him under the care of a veterinarian?
This is the part that makes no sense. What's the rush and what's the risk of staying?This is a place where, so far, they've fired guns with no fear of it attracting a pack of zombies.

Daryl was pretty much the only one searching. He was venturing out into the woods by himself. He got attacked but survived. Because he only ran into a couple of zombies (that doesn't happen elsewhere).

Everybody else? They were hanging out at the farm munching on farm fresh eggs and carrots.

Or venturing into town to steal from the magic pharmacy. A place where the big danger is running into a whopping 1 zombie. Where Maggie used to go by herself with no fear of zombie attack.

What's the rush of leaving this place?

And yes, I think closure for a mother is something worth seeking. Provided that it's reasonable to do and safe.

The farm and woods are the safest places they could be for the time being.

What of Merle?
that was the huge tease/rumor all off season was that he was going to show up.He did in a Lost type of way. Big disappointment IMO.
I couldn't disagree more strongly. Merle's return in dream fashion was a huge part of furthering Daryl's character and revealing his inner conflict. I thought it was extremely well done.I'm not convinced we've seen the last of real Merle for what it's worth. Kirkman and Co. know how much interest there is in the character so I'm guessing we'll see him again at some point. He's also very important to Daryl's further development as a character.

What of Merle?
that was the huge tease/rumor all off season was that he was going to show up.He did in a Lost type of way. Big disappointment IMO.
I couldn't disagree more strongly. Merle's return in dream fashion was a huge part of furthering Daryl's character and revealing his inner conflict. I thought it was extremely well done.I'm not convinced we've seen the last of real Merle for what it's worth. Kirkman and Co. know how much interest there is in the character so I'm guessing we'll see him again at some point. He's also very important to Daryl's further development as a character.
I agree on both points. I wouldn't be surprised if Daryl ends up having to choose between Merle and the group. Perhaps even killing Merle.

'kentric said:

Downloaded it to my Kindle last night.

Maybe he will take off and become the Governor? Maybe Merle will be his henchman and be the one that cuts off Rick's hand? Love to see Michonne go off on Shane.

Maybe he will take off and become the Governor? Maybe Merle will be his henchman and be the one that cuts off Rick's hand? Love to see Michonne go off on Shane.
I believe the Governor will be a new character. Shane isn't sick enough for that role and Merle wouldn't work for anybody. I still believe Merle will be running the prison.

What of Merle?
I agree on both points. I wouldn't be surprised if Daryl ends up having to choose between Merle and the group. Perhaps even killing Merle.
I've assumed that it pretty much has to come to this and he will pick the group over Merle. All the little signs, like Carol telling him he's just as good as the rest and his insistence on looking for Sophia. I don't think it'll be a slam dunk, easy choice for him but he's bonded himself as a group leader and is the perfect mix of pragmatic yet socially conscious. He may not particularly like this about himself though.Eta: I also see Carl killing Shane if it ever comes to that. They've put a lot of effort into the relationship between the two and Carl will have to pick between Shane and Rick some time.

Downloaded it to my Kindle last night.
Same here, nook though.

what does Carol bring to the group, especially now that Sophia is out of the picture?? I remember she washed clothes one time at the lake...that's all I got :mellow:

A plot hole I found in this episode that bothered me and I haven't seen anyone here mention it is the returning horse. There are fences all over the farm. There is a gate at the entrance they keep closed. There is a swamp where things get stuck in the silt. How'd the horse get back?
Seriously?

A plot hole I found in this episode that bothered me and I haven't seen anyone here mention it is the returning horse. There are fences all over the farm. There is a gate at the entrance they keep closed. There is a swamp where things get stuck in the silt. How'd the horse get back?
Seriously?
Yes, seriously. I would like to know if the gate was left open or not. They seem to hint that the next episode there is a zombie attack. Maybe at the farm? It's not really a plot hole so much as a potential foreshadow. The horse shows up in the stable and they spent time telling us it. Why?

In the talking dead they said we can expect new characters introduced when they come back in Feb. It may make him expendable?

I believe the Governor will be a new character. Shane isn't sick enough for that role and Merle wouldn't work for anybody. I still believe Merle will be running the prison.
Ohhh yeah I like that idea even better.

I think a show like this needs characters like Shane, but I'm not convinced it needs Shane himself. But it would be a shame to off him without some other very good (and dark) characters to take his place. Now off to read some more of the comics so that they don't get too spoiled for me. (Basically want to get all the way through them before TWD returns in Feb.)

Finally got around to watching the finale. Great ending in an otherwise typical boring episode. Hopefully they leave the farm and it gets better.

Finally got around to watching the finale. Great ending in an otherwise typical boring episode. Hopefully they leave the farm and it gets better.
I guess expenses work against it but I'd really like to see them take their show on the road. Repeating myself a little here but traveling the countryside and meeting up with other survivors would provide opportunities for new interactions and adventures. They could lose some of their existing team and add new people that they bumped into. Almost ad infinitum.

I guess expenses work against it but I'd really like to see them take their show on the road. Repeating myself a little here but traveling the countryside and meeting up with other survivors would provide opportunities for new interactions and adventures. They could lose some of their existing team and add new people that they bumped into. Almost ad infinitum.
You mean like how Shane has wanted to for quite awhile now? :mellow:

you basically described the comics in a nutshell. Because of this basic premise, the author has no end in site for the comics.Very light spoilers
We have not met in the TV series arguably the two best characters yet nor any of the better settings from the comics

Seriously?
I like the ending. The barfing was really good. But there is one thing I didn't understand. Did Lardass have to pay to get into the contest?

Seriously?
I like the ending. The barfing was really good. But there is one thing I didn't understand. Did Lardass have to pay to get into the contest?
:lmao:

Seriously?
:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread