What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL 'The Walking Dead' TV Series Thread*** (9 Viewers)

A plot hole I found in this episode that bothered me and I haven't seen anyone here mention it is the returning horse. There are fences all over the farm. There is a gate at the entrance they keep closed. There is a swamp where things get stuck in the silt. How'd the horse get back?
Seriously?
I like the ending. The barfing was really good. But there is one thing I didn't understand. Did Lardass have to pay to get into the contest?
:lmao:

Zombie marathon New Year's Eve Day.

11:00 AM The Walking Dead "Days Gone Bye"

12:30 PM The Walking Dead "Guts"

1:30 PM The Walking Dead "Tell It to the Frogs"

2:30 PM The Walking Dead "Vatos"

3:30 PM The Walking Dead "Wildfire"

4:30 PM The Walking Dead "TS-19"

5:30 PM The Walking Dead "What Lies Ahead"

7:00 PM The Walking Dead "Bloodletting" Saturday Night

8:00 PM The Walking Dead "Save the Last One"

9:00 PM The Walking Dead "Cherokee Rose"

10:00 PM The Walking Dead "Chupacabra"

11:00 PM The Walking Dead "Secrets"

12:00 AM The Walking Dead "Pretty Much Dead Already"

Last edited by a moderator:
Zombie marathon New Year's Eve Day.11:00 AM The Walking Dead "Days Gone Bye" 12:30 PM The Walking Dead "Guts" 1:30 PM The Walking Dead "Tell It to the Frogs" 2:30 PM The Walking Dead "Vatos" 3:30 PM The Walking Dead "Wildfire" 4:30 PM The Walking Dead "TS-19" 5:30 PM The Walking Dead "What Lies Ahead" 7:00 PM The Walking Dead "Bloodletting" Saturday Night8:00 PM The Walking Dead "Save the Last One" 9:00 PM The Walking Dead "Cherokee Rose" 10:00 PM The Walking Dead "Chupacabra" 11:00 PM The Walking Dead "Secrets" 12:00 AM The Walking Dead "Pretty Much Dead Already"
i turned it on this morning for a bit. one thing i have to give the TV show credit for over the comic is really the way they have shown the progression of Shane's character. It isn't subtle, but they do a good job of showing what leads Shane down the path that he ends up on by the end of the Season 2.

i turned it on this morning for a bit. one thing i have to give the TV show credit for over the comic is really the way they have shown the progression of Shane's character. It isn't subtle, but they do a good job of showing what leads Shane down the path that he ends up on by the end of the Season 2.
Do you mean the middle of season 2 or do you have some inside info on what the second half of season 2 will look like?

Do you mean the middle of season 2 or do you have some inside info on what the second half of season 2 will look like?
nope, no inside info. Just saw the episode where Rick showed back to camp, and it was interesting to see Shane back then compared to how he looked in season 2a

How do they get power at the farm? Did they ever say? Generator I am assuming?

Also, what about the utilities and dams and nuclear power plants and stuff. No one to maintain them or run them.
An episode or two ago, Rick was talking to Hershel while he put gasoline in a generator.
In Lucifer's Hammer, a novel about the collapse of society after a comet strike, the enclave's first battle is against a conglomeration of army deserters and inner city thugs bent on conquest, slavery and cannibalism. But their second battle is to protect a nearby nuclear power plant from religious fanatics, reasoning that electrical power is the absolute key to a fast reconstruction of modern life.
About half way into this book.

Holy crap! Things fell apart quick. People shooting each other on the first day. Can't wait to read the rest.

Watched that marathon and caught up on last season. Not as good as season 2. The whole CDC thing was lame I thought.

Because of Zombies in the Walking Dead I picked up a book that was a fun read.

Day by Day Armageddon: Origin to Exile

Zombies a First Person POV on how it all began made for an good read

Because of Zombies in the Walking Dead I picked up a book that was a fun read.Day by Day Armageddon: Origin to ExileZombies a First Person POV on how it all began made for an good read
Did that combine the first two books? I read them but the titles were a little different. I think the first was Day by Day Armageddon & the second was DBDA: Exile. In any case, I think the third is coming out this year.

Because of Zombies in the Walking Dead I picked up a book that was a fun read.Day by Day Armageddon: Origin to ExileZombies a First Person POV on how it all began made for an good read
Did that combine the first two books? I read them but the titles were a little different. I think the first was Day by Day Armageddon & the second was DBDA: Exile. In any case, I think the third is coming out this year.
Yes it did combine the first two.The short story at the end was really cool and played into the novel

A plot hole I found in this episode that bothered me and I haven't seen anyone here mention it is the returning horse. There are fences all over the farm. There is a gate at the entrance they keep closed. There is a swamp where things get stuck in the silt. How'd the horse get back?
Seriously?
I like the ending. The barfing was really good. But there is one thing I didn't understand. Did Lardass have to pay to get into the contest?

The whole CDC thing was lame I thought.
:goodposting:
I thought it was great. It not only added to the belief all was lost and there's really nowhere to turn for help but it also raised the moral/ethical question of whether it's better to just off yourself now or keep fighting despite how bleak everything looked. Plus, I'm interested to find out what Jenner told Rick that caused him to look like he'd just walked in on Shane drilling Laurie.Great stuff.

I thought it was great. It not only added to the belief all was lost and there's really nowhere to turn for help but it also raised the moral/ethical question of whether it's better to just off yourself now or keep fighting despite how bleak everything looked. Plus, I'm interested to find out what Jenner told Rick that caused him to look like he'd just walked in on Shane drilling Laurie.Great stuff.
Your wife is preggars

Your wife is preggars
Really? I always assumed it was something like he was some sort of walker hybrid. Like he really did die in the hospital and came back to life.

Your wife is preggars
Really? I always assumed it was something like he was some sort of walker hybrid. Like he really did die in the hospital and came back to life.Hmmm, could be.Based on Rick's reaction to his wife telling him she was pregnant and that she slept with Rick, I am not sure the CDC guy told him about the pregnancy. Seemed like he was surprised, but he kind of knew about Shane.I think there are three possibilities:1. He told him that he saw Shane/Laurie when Shane tried to jump her (security cam).2. He told him that Laurie was pregnant.3. He told him something like your post, i.e. someone was infected and not turning.

Your wife is preggars
Really? I always assumed it was something like he was some sort of walker hybrid. Like he really did die in the hospital and came back to life.
Hmmm, could be.Based on Rick's reaction to his wife telling him she was pregnant and that she slept with Rick, I am not sure the CDC guy told him about the pregnancy. Seemed like he was surprised, but he kind of knew about Shane.I think there are three possibilities:1. He told him that he saw Shane/Laurie when Shane tried to jump her (security cam).2. He told him that Laurie was pregnant.3. He told him something like your post, i.e. someone was infected and not turning.
4. Everyone is already infected all they have to do is die with their brain intact and they will reanimate.

Your wife is preggars
Hmmm, could be.Based on Rick's reaction to his wife telling him she was pregnant and that she slept with Rick, I am not sure the CDC guy told him about the pregnancy. Seemed like he was surprised, but he kind of knew about Shane.I think there are three possibilities:1. He told him that he saw Shane/Laurie when Shane tried to jump her (security cam).2. He told him that Laurie was pregnant.3. He told him something like your post, i.e. someone was infected and not turning.In an aftershow Kirkman said when the audience finally finds out what Jenner said we will know for sure so it's not the pregnancy thing.

Your wife is preggars
Hmmm, could be.Based on Rick's reaction to his wife telling him she was pregnant and that she slept with Rick, I am not sure the CDC guy told him about the pregnancy. Seemed like he was surprised, but he kind of knew about Shane.I think there are three possibilities:1. He told him that he saw Shane/Laurie when Shane tried to jump her (security cam).2. He told him that Laurie was pregnant.3. He told him something like your post, i.e. someone was infected and not turning.
In an aftershow Kirkman said when the audience finally finds out what Jenner said we will know for sure so it's not the pregnancy thing.I don't think the writers even know what he said at this point. They will just pop it out at a convenient time in the future.

Your wife is preggars
4. Everyone is already infected all they have to do is die with their brain intact and they will reanimate.
This.

"I hope this thing get better next season"

This.
Sounds right, but a little disappointing if that's all it is.
this makes zero sense to me...was it something from the books?I have not read the books and I forget where I heard it from - maybe an interview I saw.
How does it make zero sense? The plague could be spread in different ways and it could be triggered by the changes in body chemistry that occur when the brain/body dies. Maybe oxygen is prohibitive for its growth and only when the bodies are lacking oxygen can the virus/disease/plague grow to the point to reboot the brain.

This.
this makes zero sense to me...was it something from the books?
I have not read the books and I forget where I heard it from - maybe an interview I saw.
How does it make zero sense? The plague could be spread in different ways and it could be triggered by the changes in body chemistry that occur when the brain/body dies. Maybe oxygen is prohibitive for its growth and only when the bodies are lacking oxygen can the virus/disease/plague grow to the point to reboot the brain.
ok that makes >0 sense, thanks :)

This.
this makes zero sense to me...was it something from the books?Directly from the books. And probably explains some/much of the scientist's fatalistic attitude.

This.
Directly from the books. And probably explains some/much of the scientist's fatalistic attitude.where did you see anything like that in the book? I am around issue 90 or something, and don't remember anything like that

This.
Directly from the books. And probably explains some/much of the scientist's fatalistic attitude.
where did you see anything like that in the book? I am around issue 90 or something, and don't remember anything like thatI was just thinking the same thing and was wondering if this was something new in a relatively recent issue. I am re-reading for second time now and I have not seen that story line yet (I am about half way through the run).

Hey guys, not trying to be a Richard but would it be possible to keep all discussion of spoilers within spoiler tags? For those of us avoiding spoilers, even hints or reactions to spoilers are something we'd like to avoid. Thanks. :)

'NewlyRetired said:
'modogg said:
'Maelstrom said:
'Nathan R. Jessep said:
'cstu said:
'Tickle Monster said:
'Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
This.
Directly from the books. And probably explains some/much of the scientist's fatalistic attitude.
where did you see anything like that in the book? I am around issue 90 or something, and don't remember anything like that
I was just thinking the same thing and was wondering if this was something new in a relatively recent issue. I am re-reading for second time now and I have not seen that story line yet (I am about half way through the run).
When Tyreese's daughter and boyfriend made the suicide pact at the prison, the daughter came back after shooting herself. It's not shown but implied that the boyfriend did too. #15

'NewlyRetired said:
'modogg said:
'Maelstrom said:
'Nathan R. Jessep said:
'cstu said:
'Tickle Monster said:
'Flying Spaghetti Monster said:
This.
When Tyreese's daughter and boyfriend made the suicide pact at the prison, the daughter came back after shooting herself. It's not shown but implied that the boyfriend did too.
where did you see anything like that in the book? I am around issue 90 or something, and don't remember anything like thatI was just thinking the same thing and was wondering if this was something new in a relatively recent issue. I am re-reading for second time now and I have not seen that story line yet (I am about half way through the run).
When Tyreese's daughter and boyfriend made the suicide pact at the prison, the daughter came back after shooting herself. It's not shown but implied that the boyfriend did too. #15
Oh yes now I remember! This is the reason he goes back to shoot Shane after they buried Shane when Carl killed him. Thanks for the reminder

Here is a letter from Frank Darabont about his proposed season 2 opener. Sounds awesome, and I would have taken this over anything we got instead.

"Dear Eric,

Sure, I’ll confirm that storyline. Why not? Big caveat here though:

CraveOnline is much mistaken in saying this was for a “web series.” This was never meant as a web gimmick, this was intended for use in the actual TV series. I wanted to kick off the 2nd season with the flashback episode Sam describes, which would have followed a squad of Army Rangers getting trapped in the city and trying to survive as Atlanta falls. 

The idea was to do this with a very focused “you are there” documentary feel. Not going all shaky-cam, but still making it a bit rawer and grainier than the rest of the show. We’d start with a squad of maybe seven or eight soldiers being dropped into the city by chopper. They have map coordinates they need to get to; they’ve been told to report to a certain place to provide reinforcement. It’s not a special mission, it’s basically a housekeeping measure putting more boots on the ground to reinforce key intersections and installations throughout the city. And we follow this group from the moment the copter sets them down. All they have to do is travel maybe a dozen blocks, a simple journey, but what starts as a no-brainer scenario goes from “the city is being secured” to “holy ####, we’ve lost control, the world is ending.” Our squad gets blocked at every turn and are soon just trying to survive. I wanted to do a really tense, character-driven ensemble story as communications break down, supply lines are lost, escape routes are cut off, morale falls apart, leadership unravels, mutinies heat up, etc. (Yes, this approach owes a spiritual debt to a number of great films, including Walter Hill’s Southern Comfort.)

Along the way, I thought we could briefly dovetail this story with a few established characters from the show. Not to overdo that, mind you, because it could get silly and too coincidental if you load too much into that idea. But I thought it would be great to veer off on a quick narrative detour that brushes our soldiers briefly up against some people we know. Picture our squad arriving at a manned barricade where some civilians are being held back from leaving the city on shoot-to-kill orders to stop the spread of contagion, it’s a panicked high-intensity scene, and in this crowd of desperate people we find Andrea and Amy. The barricade gunners panic, the civilians start to get mowed down by machine gun fire, and in this melee the girls get pulled to safety by some old guy they don’t even know. It’s Dale. He’s nobody to them, just some guy who saw the opportunity to do the right thing and reacted in the moment. This would have been perhaps a minute or two of the episode, just a cool detour like the various outposts the soldiers encounter in Saving Private Ryan, but we would have witnessed the moment that Dale meets Andrea and Amy, seen where that relationship began. I also felt it would be a great way to get Emma Bell back into the series for a moment, because she was so wonderful and we were all so sorry that her character died and she had to leave the show. (Of course if this “brush with established characters” idea didn’t work in the script stage, I’d have tossed it out. You try a lot of ideas like that as you go, see how they play. But I thought this one stood a pretty good chance of being engineered to work well.) 

So the story follows these soldiers through hell as the city falls apart and the squad implodes, with Sam’s soldier being the main character and the moral center of the group. He becomes the last survivor of the squad, and he finally gets to the map coordinates they’ve been trying to get to from the start: it’s the barricade at the Atlanta courthouse intersection from the pilot where Rick later finds the tank. The soldier is still alive when he gets there, but he’s been bitten. He’s accomplished his “simple” mission, but he’s gone through seven kinds of hell to do it (including being forced to frag his squad leader), and now he’s dying. And he crawls off into the tank just to get off the street and under cover. As his fever builds and the poor guy starts to hallucinate, he pulls his last grenade and considers ending his life. He sets the grenade down on that shelf for a moment to reflect on all the #### and misery that brought him to this sad end-point of his life, and to dredge up the courage to pull the pin...but before he can act, the fever burns him out and he dies. 

The kicker comes in the last moments of this episode:

After the soldier dies this squalid, lonely death...and after a quiet lapse of time...we do a shot-for-shot reprise from the first episode of the first season: Rick comes scrambling into the tank to escape the horde...blows that zombie soldier’s brains out...now Rick’s trapped...fade out...the end.

The notion was to take the “throwaway” tank zombie Rick encountered in the pilot, and tell that soldier’s story. Make him the star of his own movie, follow his journey, but don’t reveal who he is until the end. The idea being that every zombie has a story, every undead extra was once a human being with a life of his/her own...was, in a sense, the star of his own life’s movie. And we’ve followed this one particular guy and seen how his life ended; we witness his struggles, see his good intentions and his failures, and we experience his godawful death in this tank. That’s why I cast Sam as that tank zombie in the first place instead of just casting some extra. I had this story in mind while filming the pilot, and I knew I’d need a superb actor to play that soldier when the time came.

And then starting with Episode 202, we’d be back with Rick’s group and back in step with the flow of the established story from last season.

I always had in mind to throw in a “wild-card” episode every season, maybe as a season opener or closer. Just a separate story more in the feel of an anthology series, one that appears completely off the track of the regular series but actually does wind up tying in somehow by the fade-out. They did that sort of thing on LOST on occasion, and I really respected it. It always seemed like a bold choice that trusted the audience and rewarded their loyalty with a totally unexpected surprise episode every so often.

That’s it from me. I hope things are well on your end.

Best,

Frank"

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52526

Here is a letter from Frank Darabont about his proposed season 2 opener. Sounds awesome, and I would have taken this over anything we got instead."Dear Eric,Sure, I’ll confirm that storyline. Why not? Big caveat here though:CraveOnline is much mistaken in saying this was for a “web series.” This was never meant as a web gimmick, this was intended for use in the actual TV series. I wanted to kick off the 2nd season with the flashback episode Sam describes, which would have followed a squad of Army Rangers getting trapped in the city and trying to survive as Atlanta falls. 

The idea was to do this with a very focused “you are there” documentary feel. Not going all shaky-cam, but still making it a bit rawer and grainier than the rest of the show. We’d start with a squad of maybe seven or eight soldiers being dropped into the city by chopper. They have map coordinates they need to get to; they’ve been told to report to a certain place to provide reinforcement. It’s not a special mission, it’s basically a housekeeping measure putting more boots on the ground to reinforce key intersections and installations throughout the city. And we follow this group from the moment the copter sets them down. All they have to do is travel maybe a dozen blocks, a simple journey, but what starts as a no-brainer scenario goes from “the city is being secured” to “holy ####, we’ve lost control, the world is ending.” Our squad gets blocked at every turn and are soon just trying to survive. I wanted to do a really tense, character-driven ensemble story as communications break down, supply lines are lost, escape routes are cut off, morale falls apart, leadership unravels, mutinies heat up, etc. (Yes, this approach owes a spiritual debt to a number of great films, including Walter Hill’s Southern Comfort.)Along the way, I thought we could briefly dovetail this story with a few established characters from the show. Not to overdo that, mind you, because it could get silly and too coincidental if you load too much into that idea. But I thought it would be great to veer off on a quick narrative detour that brushes our soldiers briefly up against some people we know. Picture our squad arriving at a manned barricade where some civilians are being held back from leaving the city on shoot-to-kill orders to stop the spread of contagion, it’s a panicked high-intensity scene, and in this crowd of desperate people we find Andrea and Amy. The barricade gunners panic, the civilians start to get mowed down by machine gun fire, and in this melee the girls get pulled to safety by some old guy they don’t even know. It’s Dale. He’s nobody to them, just some guy who saw the opportunity to do the right thing and reacted in the moment. This would have been perhaps a minute or two of the episode, just a cool detour like the various outposts the soldiers encounter in Saving Private Ryan, but we would have witnessed the moment that Dale meets Andrea and Amy, seen where that relationship began. I also felt it would be a great way to get Emma Bell back into the series for a moment, because she was so wonderful and we were all so sorry that her character died and she had to leave the show. (Of course if this “brush with established characters” idea didn’t work in the script stage, I’d have tossed it out. You try a lot of ideas like that as you go, see how they play. But I thought this one stood a pretty good chance of being engineered to work well.) 

So the story follows these soldiers through hell as the city falls apart and the squad implodes, with Sam’s soldier being the main character and the moral center of the group. He becomes the last survivor of the squad, and he finally gets to the map coordinates they’ve been trying to get to from the start: it’s the barricade at the Atlanta courthouse intersection from the pilot where Rick later finds the tank. The soldier is still alive when he gets there, but he’s been bitten. He’s accomplished his “simple” mission, but he’s gone through seven kinds of hell to do it (including being forced to frag his squad leader), and now he’s dying. And he crawls off into the tank just to get off the street and under cover. As his fever builds and the poor guy starts to hallucinate, he pulls his last grenade and considers ending his life. He sets the grenade down on that shelf for a moment to reflect on all the #### and misery that brought him to this sad end-point of his life, and to dredge up the courage to pull the pin...but before he can act, the fever burns him out and he dies. 

The kicker comes in the last moments of this episode:

After the soldier dies this squalid, lonely death...and after a quiet lapse of time...we do a shot-for-shot reprise from the first episode of the first season: Rick comes scrambling into the tank to escape the horde...blows that zombie soldier’s brains out...now Rick’s trapped...fade out...the end.

The notion was to take the “throwaway” tank zombie Rick encountered in the pilot, and tell that soldier’s story. Make him the star of his own movie, follow his journey, but don’t reveal who he is until the end. The idea being that every zombie has a story, every undead extra was once a human being with a life of his/her own...was, in a sense, the star of his own life’s movie. And we’ve followed this one particular guy and seen how his life ended; we witness his struggles, see his good intentions and his failures, and we experience his godawful death in this tank. That’s why I cast Sam as that tank zombie in the first place instead of just casting some extra. I had this story in mind while filming the pilot, and I knew I’d need a superb actor to play that soldier when the time came.

And then starting with Episode 202, we’d be back with Rick’s group and back in step with the flow of the established story from last season.I always had in mind to throw in a “wild-card” episode every season, maybe as a season opener or closer. Just a separate story more in the feel of an anthology series, one that appears completely off the track of the regular series but actually does wind up tying in somehow by the fade-out. They did that sort of thing on LOST on occasion, and I really respected it. It always seemed like a bold choice that trusted the audience and rewarded their loyalty with a totally unexpected surprise episode every so often.That’s it from me. I hope things are well on your end.Best,Frank"http://www.aintitcool.com/node/52526
Interesting. Big Lost fan here, so I would have enjoyed flashbacks as well. I like the show, but I think this would have been cool. The only thing that I will throw in as a caveat is that the Lost flashbacks actually meant something to the show because of the "mysteries" of the island. There are no such mysteries here, so while this might have been cool, it might be better as webisodes. We have seen some flashbacks (Laurie showing that her marriage to Rick wasn't great) and those are probably more pertinent, like Lost, than some random Army guy who to be honest, is meaningless.Now that I think about it, I would think that the complainers in here would complain even more about disjointed meaningless stories. I think it would have been fine as the opening scenes for season 2, but not a continual here's another random set of people that become zombies story line.

We got disjointed and meaningless stories, I think at least this one would have been cool. And new characters are definately welcome, as most of the ones we have are boring or one dimensional.

Interesting but I can't say it is more preferable to what we've gotten thus far. I've been a huge fan of the second season. I think it's delivered in a big way and then some.

The Sam he refers to is the guy who play "Josh the werewolf" on SyFy's Being Human.

He played the zombie soldier in the pilot, is friends with Frank and mentioned this prequel episode idea in a recent interview (probably promoting Season 2 of his show, which starts 1/16).

I wanted to kick off the 2nd season with the flashback episode Sam describes, which would have followed a squad of Army Rangers getting trapped in the city and trying to survive as Atlanta falls. 

No thanks.

Renewed for Season 3 - 16 episodes :thumbup:
seems like a no brain decision. I'm sure AMC has talked to them and let them know what their plan is, the Graphic novels/comics have a lot of material and they could pull out some good pieces if they needed a boost for a season. promising them until season 5 or so i think would really allow them to set the pace of the show good and have them plan for how long they could go. I can't see it lasting more then 6 or 7 seasons, though i would like it

Renewed for Season 3 - 16 episodes :thumbup:
this is a nice amount of episodes and could be used for introducing Michonne and the Govenor and the wonderful prison arc (the best location in the comics IMO).
I could see the cliffhanger at the end of this season being the first encounter with the Governor although that's a lot of ground to cover until then.
Jamny, do you think
that Merle will be the Governor? It will be a bit backwards because in the comics Rick loses his hand before the Governor does but I could easily see them writing it that Merle gets revenge on Rick by cutting off his hand.

So excited to see the possible prison location. Although I am unsure we will see that this season. Maybe towards the end they will find the prison and settle there.

Gotta say i didnt expect to see sophia in the barn.
Was pretty obvious she was in there.
REALLY? Where on here did anyone ,including yourself, predict she was IN the barn before the last episode?
Wife and I watched the marathon and love the show. Neither one of us guessed that Sophia was in the barn fwiw. Wife loves hershel and his old timey values.
I was completely taken by surprise. But then again, I am by almost everything that happens. Everywhere. All the time.:clueless:

Users who are viewing this thread