What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty start-up mock draft (2 Viewers)

I agree with the whole reaching discussion. At this point you need to take the guy you want regardless of where it is. Hell, even earlier in the draft I felt the need to reach for Maclin because I didn't see him falling. I didn't like taking him where I did, but I'm happy he's on my roster nonetheless. As I said earlier, given the quality of the owners we have assembled, everybody is pretty well informed on the players so it's harder for sleepers that may fall in other leagues to do so in this one because chances are, if you've got a guy on your sleeper list, at least half a dozen other guys do as well. This has been a difficult draft to journey through because of the competition but it's made for a very enjoyable experience and is sure testing my drafting and evaluating skills.

Yeah, I definitely think my team is of a bit lower quality than a couple other dynasties I did this year. And other dynasties where my first 3 picks were EXACTLY the same too. Which is weird.

I kind of agree. Tough group. I'm just hoping not to do anything that draws open laughter.

I picked up an extensive keeper league team 10 or 12 years ago, so I understand the concept, but this is my first startup dynasty draft. I just joined in to get a taste before another I have starting next week - but somewhere along the way we turned more serious. No one I have tried to leave for later has survived (although that might have to do with picking middle and always having a dozen pick between mine).

BTW, I had held back on Maclin because the FBGuys seemed to think he would last longer ... so good pick JDAWG, right where you made it.

I kind of agree. Tough group. I'm just hoping not to do anything that draws open laughter.

I picked up an extensive keeper league team 10 or 12 years ago, so I understand the concept, but this is my first startup dynasty draft. I just joined in to get a taste before another I have starting next week - but somewhere along the way we turned more serious. No one I have tried to leave for later has survived (although that might have to do with picking middle and always having a dozen pick between mine).

BTW, I had held back on Maclin because the FBGuys seemed to think he would last longer ... so good pick JDAWG, right where you made it.
I may have just suceeded with that.It's shocking how thin the RB group is now. At this point in a draft I don't see the point in taking guys like LT or chester taylor when I'm set for my starting lineup anyway. I'd much rather take guys with upside who atleast have a chance to be a starter in the future rather than guys at the end of their career. I can seriously see me ending up with about 10WR's and 5 rb's here!

Oh and sorry if you guys had to wait too long for my picks. I didn't think we'd get anywhere near my picks and so didn't set an autopick before I went to bed.

my pick is

Mohamed Massaquoi, WR, CLE. He has no QB, but maybe they will get one someday.

I think thats pick 12.11. If someone can enter that into the site(blocked here), we can keep on truckin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else notice how particularly unhealthy "Waiting for Creeping Death" reads on the draft in progress chart.
It is starting to feel like that is exactly what i am waiting for when he is up.
Are you saying I'm slow? My apologies that the last pick was made at 5:22am here on the west coast while I was still in bed. :thumbdown:
That was the reason for my delay too, stupid time difference.

13.02 - Kevin Smith, RB, Det. Coming back from knee, Best still hasnt played a NFL down yet, who knows. Maybe Smith can become a goal line runner or move onto another team someday.

if I forgot to check him off my list, let me know. I have another guy in mind.

I have to leave for work in a bit guys, I should be home around 9pm, I have a small pre-draft list set up but I'm not sure if the guys on it will still be on the board so you may need to wait for me a bit. I don't want to make a list that's too big because a lot can happen between now and my next pick, hope you understand.

I have to leave for work in a bit guys, I should be home around 9pm, I have a small pre-draft list set up but I'm not sure if the guys on it will still be on the board so you may need to wait for me a bit. I don't want to make a list that's too big because a lot can happen between now and my next pick, hope you understand.
The "ole predraft one player who will never make it to you, so it looks like you predrafted" trick?Before you get mad at me again, i was just messing with you...again. We are not in a big hurry, thats fine.

My last four picks went through on pre-draft, so no comments over at MFL......

11.12 (132) - Brett Favre, QB21, MIN (4)

12.01 (133) - Laurent Robinson, WR53, STL (9)

13.12 (156) - Tim Tebow, QB26, DEN (9)

14.01 (157) - Tony Moeaki, TE17, KC (4)

Favre - I like him as a decent week 7 bye fill-in for Manning. Also may use him to play the match-up game, but it is highly unlikely. I own Manning in several leagues and the thing I like best about him is you can just plug him in and you rarely get a bad outing from him. But, if the match-up looks especially tough and Favre has an easier schedule that week I just might use him. Here is also where I took a gamble that another QB I was targeting would last.

Robinson - Good young WR who may be well worth the risk of drafting him. This selection marks the 3rd WR age 25 or younger on my team, yet not a single rookie.

Tebow - This is the QB I was hoping would slide all the way back to me. (Yeaaaa me!) The 1st rookie I've selected in this draft. I think he will provide a nice insurance policy for my team when Manning finally hangs up the cleats. Who knows? He might very well have a great NFL career. I know McDaniels is counting on him being all that.

Moeaki - The 2nd rookie I've selected in this draft. I truly think Moeaki is going to lead all rookie TE's this year in production. I've been trying to target him in every league since I became aware of him. I think he starts from day one and makes the most of his opportunities in KC.

Rody

My last four picks went through on pre-draft, so no comments over at MFL......

11.12 (132) - Brett Favre, QB21, MIN (4)

12.01 (133) - Laurent Robinson, WR53, STL (9)

13.12 (156) - Tim Tebow, QB26, DEN (9)

14.01 (157) - Tony Moeaki, TE17, KC (4)

Favre - I like him as a decent week 7 bye fill-in for Manning. Also may use him to play the match-up game, but it is highly unlikely. I own Manning in several leagues and the thing I like best about him is you can just plug him in and you rarely get a bad outing from him. But, if the match-up looks especially tough and Favre has an easier schedule that week I just might use him. Here is also where I took a gamble that another QB I was targeting would last.

Robinson - Good young WR who may be well worth the risk of drafting him. This selection marks the 3rd WR age 25 or younger on my team, yet not a single rookie.

Tebow - This is the QB I was hoping would slide all the way back to me. (Yeaaaa me!) The 1st rookie I've selected in this draft. I think he will provide a nice insurance policy for my team when Manning finally hangs up the cleats. Who knows? He might very well have a great NFL career. I know McDaniels is counting on him being all that.

Moeaki - The 2nd rookie I've selected in this draft. I truly think Moeaki is going to lead all rookie TE's this year in production. I've been trying to target him in every league since I became aware of him. I think he starts from day one and makes the most of his opportunities in KC.

Rody
Like the Robinson pick a lot.

The "ole predraft one player who will never make it to you, so it looks like you predrafted" trick?Before you get mad at me again, i was just messing with you...again. We are not in a big hurry, thats fine.
I actually pre-drafted two players, but didn't want to make too big a list because I put both defences at the top and if for some reason they both ended up falling I didn't want to pick back-to-back D's. Very happy the Pack fell to me though, they were my top ranked D still on the board.

The first was from a draft list - so I think he just left too short a list, or didn't seperate it into seperate lists for the 2 seperate picks. Either way, I suspect were done for the night. :lmao:

Lame. I am going to be gone pretty much all day tomorrow. I work all day and then I'm going to see Tool almost as soon as my shift is over so I won't have time to come home.

Leave someone a long list and a password? I'll be on the road for 3-4 hours in the afternoon myself, or I would offer to cover for you.

Thanks Oklahoma!

Am I up or does Sholditch still have the one pick remaining?

If I am up, who was the last pick?

The first was from a draft list - so I think he just left too short a list, or didn't seperate it into seperate lists for the 2 seperate picks. Either way, I suspect were done for the night. :hey:
sorry guys, I was up until about 10:30 waiting on steelcity and listening to the audible, and thought that I had set it up right. I had several players on my list but it only picked one. So I have to separate the list into the two separate picks?

15.02 - Dallas Defesne. Need to get one now, or it might be St Louis before its my pick again.

If someone can put that in for me...

Well, I am happy with my team so far in the draft...I have a lot of older players, and my RBs are somewhat hit or miss, but I feel I have the best QB/WR combo in the league. A few comments on my last picks:

9.06 102. Brady's Bunch Ward, Hines PIT WR ....couldn't BELIEVE he lasted this long. Sure he is old, and missing Ben for the start of the season, but I still have him in my top-20 easy for this season. Great WR3 for my team for waiting so long!

10.07 115. Brady's Bunch Harrison, Jerome CLE RB ...I am hoping that he can manage to hang onto the starting job for the beginning of the season and continue his hot streak from the end of last year.

11.06 126. Brady's Bunch Edwards, Braylon NYJ WR ...if he can ever learn to catch, he definitely has talent.

12.07 139. Brady's Bunch Portis, Clinton WAS RB ....old-man Portis should be good enough for another year as a bye-week fill-in

13.06 150. Brady's Bunch Miller, Heath PIT TE ....picking up a reliable option as my TE2 is always nice.

14.07 163. Brady's Bunch Houshmandzadeh, T.J. SEA WR ....another veteran who could have a nice bounceback season after playing injured all last year.

15.06 174. Brady's Bunch Chargers, San Diego SDC Def ....these guys were about my 4th or 5th DEF, but have nice divisional matchups.

16.07 187. Brady's Bunch Driver, Donald GBP WR ....another WR who fell entirely too far. Only another year or 2 more at best, but he hasn't fallen off the cliff yet.

I've pre-drafted for picks 17.12 & 18.01. If you get to 19.12 I'll be surprised. I'll PM my phone number to jeter23 just in case.

Rody

Ruff, hated that you took LaFell, I own him on practically all my teams. We'll see how that one goes.

Surprised Nelson lasted so long, I think he's a playmaker with no competition and whoever they manage to get at QB (probably a new guy next year) will use him as a safety valve.

In defense of my iPhone, I was WASTED and took one look at that MFL interface and gave up. I'm actually really impressed with the functionality of the site, but they really need to invest some money in design.

Is Fendi Onobun even going to make the Rams roster? Another drunk pick.

Can't believe I got Anthony Dixon that late. I think he could be a starter in this league and given Gore's recent health could get the chance.

At some point we're going to have to deal with the fact that there are no rules yet on next year's cuts and draft. I assume we are going with the same roster size but how many players do we cut and draft next year? What's the draft like? Lots of questions still to be answered.

I'm heading out drinking in an hour or so and so I've predrafted my next two picks. I'm amazed how quickly we've got through this. My other league's been going for around 3 weeks and is only in the 12th round.

At some point we're going to have to deal with the fact that there are no rules yet on next year's cuts and draft. I assume we are going with the same roster size but how many players do we cut and draft next year? What's the draft like? Lots of questions still to be answered.
Are we gonna break up into divisions? How are we gonna decide who is in what division when we do?

For the draft let's go 3 or 4 rounds, rookies and FAs, NFL style, worst to first each round.

ETA: Can trade 2011 picks in 2010, 2012 picks in 2011, etc...

For the draft let's go 3 or 4 rounds, rookies and FAs, NFL style, worst to first each round. ETA: Can trade 2011 picks in 2010, 2012 picks in 2011, etc...
My only problem with FAs in the draft is that I prefer off season waivers. Makes for an active league year round.

Hey guys, as far as divisions, we will have 3, and the draft order will determine them. Team 1, 4, 7, and 10. Team 2, 5, 8, 11, and Teams 3, 6, 9, and 12.

At his point, im thinking a 4 round rookie draft to be held in May/June.

I think the best way to do FA if auction during the offseason, and worst to first during the season. Each team starts with 500 auction dollars, with a minimum of 10 per bid. We can award auction dollars during the season in order of worst to first.

Any other ideas?

If you're going to do 500 with a minimum bid of ten, you may as well do 50 with a minimum fo 1. No reason to bid in increments of 10, let's go ahead and do 500 dollars though.

If you're going to do 500 with a minimum bid of ten, you may as well do 50 with a minimum fo 1. No reason to bid in increments of 10, let's go ahead and do 500 dollars though.
We can do 50 and 1, it doesnt really matter. I was also thinking that maybe 22 man rosters is a little small for a dynasty league. I was thinking it might be a good idea to expand the rosters to 25 and/or add a taxi squad? It feels like we have just enough players right now, if that. So what happens when we start picking up FA's and rookies drafts?Maybe add two more roster spots and a 2 man taxi squad?

jeter23 said:
Instinctive said:
For the draft let's go 3 or 4 rounds, rookies and FAs, NFL style, worst to first each round. ETA: Can trade 2011 picks in 2010, 2012 picks in 2011, etc...
My only problem with FAs in the draft is that I prefer off season waivers. Makes for an active league year round.
Since this is an extra league for everyone and one that most people in here won't be able to devote much time to, I'd prefer to lock FAs at the beginning of the final game and have a rookie/FA draft.If there are no cuts and these aren't the final size of the rosters, what is the final size? 25-26?

Hey guys, as far as divisions, we will have 3, and the draft order will determine them. Team 1, 4, 7, and 10. Team 2, 5, 8, 11, and Teams 3, 6, 9, and 12. At his point, im thinking a 4 round rookie draft to be held in May/June.I think the best way to do FA if auction during the offseason, and worst to first during the season. Each team starts with 500 auction dollars, with a minimum of 10 per bid. We can award auction dollars during the season in order of worst to first.Any other ideas?
Too complicated. Just draft rookies and FAs together in one draft.

jeter23 said:
Instinctive said:
For the draft let's go 3 or 4 rounds, rookies and FAs, NFL style, worst to first each round.

ETA: Can trade 2011 picks in 2010, 2012 picks in 2011, etc...
Since this is an extra league for everyone and one that most people in here won't be able to devote much time to, I'd prefer to lock FAs at the beginning of the final game and have a rookie/FA draft.If there are no cuts and these aren't the final size of the rosters, what is the final size? 25-26?
Good point, thats what we will do.As far as the roster size, i was thinking 25, no taxi squad.

Thanks go out to jeter23 for calling me Saturday evening and getting my picks at 19.12/20.01 done for me. It is much appreciated. :unsure:

Sorry for the delay this afternoon......I didn't get in until 8:30ish tonight.

Rody

I hope we keep the rosters at 22. With a 12 league, that at least leaves a few guys of marginal interest to add into the rookie/FA draft. Rosters of 25 kills every warm body that might possibly be of use. Its not like anyone will have any trouble making a lineup from their roster - or that any of another 2-3 players drafted each would ever see a down of football in anyone's lineup this year. IMO having a few more players of interest for the FA pool isn't a bad thing.

Users who are viewing this thread