What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (1 Viewer)

I doubt any of you will beat this.... I feel awesome.

I have the Xtra package (200 channels, no movie channels)

Had to agree to a 2 year deal. I have been a customer for 5 years and out of contract for 3.

$15 credit for 15 months.

$10 HD credit for 15 months.

New HD receivers (going from 1 HD, 3 regular to 4 HD). No Genie because I don't use DVR.

$240 credit added to my account. :excited:

Free SUnday ticket and RZ Max.

So my bill goes from $98/month to $40/month for the next two months and then $53 a month for the next 13 months thereafter before I call in again and do the dance.
Great work. How were you watching non HD on them tvs? And how dont you use DVR?Crazy stuff here.

I guess the value of my call is roughly $465 in credits plus the ST & RZ and you got that beat.
My wife is not a tech person at all, so introducing dvr to her would start a fight. And I don't really watch many shows fanatically. Mad men, breaking bad, sons of anarchy...I make sure I'm available to watch when they come on. If I had a dvr I might watch more tv, but I don't really want to watch more tv.

The non hd boxes work with my hd tvs, they just don't pump hd to them.
Seriously, you must get a DVR. You don't need to be a tech person to learn how to run it within 2 minutes. Your wife will love you and give you more sexy time when you get a DVR.

Without a DVR, you're already watching x amount of hours of TV, unfortunately 15% or so of that is comprised of commericals. You could actually watch a few more shows but not increase the time you watch tv by getting a DVR and zipping past the commericals. I probably watch the same or less tv now than I did pre-DVR, and I watch it when I want.

Don't be TV-Amish, call them back now and get your Genie! :grad:

My wife took care of me last night because I got the Genie. Right there on the couch during Jeopardy. I paused it until we finished.

Here is my post from the SP:

Just finished..

Free NFL Sunday Ticket Max

$38 off Premier Package - 12 Months

$10 off DVR Service - 12 Months

$30 off Premium Channels - 6 Months

$15 off Monthly Credit - 12 Months

15 year customer - Out of contract - Up'd for 1 year by accepting Sunday Ticket offer

One thing in my favor is that I have a lot of room to go down ($175 monthly bill) and have been a customer for 15 years.

Here's what I did.

1. Tell the automated system 'Cancel Account'

2. Tell the first person you're routed to that you'd like to cancel, listen to his offer, tell him you respectfully decline and would like to cancel.

3. Tell the second person you'd like to cancel. He'll make you an initial offer, don't even bat an eye at it. Be nice, but let him know Dish is starving for your business and you'd like to save a lot of money without changing your programming. Research what Dish is offering on their site that is comperable to what you currently have, tell him a Dish agent offered you a price of [25-30% lower than what the Dish site quotes]. The DTV agent will be all over the Dish site on your call and tell you 'that's way lower than what the Dish site says', tell him they're offering you 6 months of a very low initial rate, then a number of monthly comps like what DTV does for the remainder of your 2 year contract. DTV agent will suddenly act like he found a new deal to offer on top of what he originally gave you, then if you feel like you're comfortable with that offer, tell him you'll take it if he throws in the Sunday Ticket.

- Never mention the NFL Sunday Ticket until toward the end. that's a throw and it's easy for them to add and offer it.

- Act very confident in your decision to switch to Dish. I'm usually very nice, but sure & stern. If you don't act like he's wasting your time and you'd like to get the cancellation over-with, the agent will try to talk you out of it for a while.

Here is my post from the SP:

Just finished..

Free NFL Sunday Ticket Max

$38 off Premier Package - 12 Months

$10 off DVR Service - 12 Months

$30 off Premium Channels - 6 Months

$15 off Monthly Credit - 12 Months

15 year customer - Out of contract - Up'd for 1 year by accepting Sunday Ticket offer

One thing in my favor is that I have a lot of room to go down ($175 monthly bill) and have been a customer for 15 years.

Here's what I did.

1. Tell the automated system 'Cancel Account'

2. Tell the first person you're routed to that you'd like to cancel, listen to his offer, tell him you respectfully decline and would like to cancel.

3. Tell the second person you'd like to cancel. He'll make you an initial offer, don't even bat an eye at it. Be nice, but let him know Dish is starving for your business and you'd like to save a lot of money without changing your programming. Research what Dish is offering on their site that is comperable to what you currently have, tell him a Dish agent offered you a price of [25-30% lower than what the Dish site quotes]. The DTV agent will be all over the Dish site on your call and tell you 'that's way lower than what the Dish site says', tell him they're offering you 6 months of a very low initial rate, then a number of monthly comps like what DTV does for the remainder of your 2 year contract. DTV agent will suddenly act like he found a new deal to offer on top of what he originally gave you, then if you feel like you're comfortable with that offer, tell him you'll take it if he throws in the Sunday Ticket.

- Never mention the NFL Sunday Ticket until toward the end. that's a throw and it's easy for them to add and offer it.

- Act very confident in your decision to switch to Dish. I'm usually very nice, but sure & stern. If you don't act like he's wasting your time and you'd like to get the cancellation over-with, the agent will try to talk you out of it for a while.
Did you mention the Hopper or iPad2 at all?

Just got done. I've actually had a tech issue with my Whole Home DVR so I used that as my main impetus along with cost for cancelling. I never once mentioned Sunday Ticket but did mention that I really just watched movies and said I could get that from Amazon Prime and Netflix.

I said Cancel Service at the prompts and got put straight into retention.

Ended up with a free upgrade to the top level service at my current price plus $31.50 in discounts and free Sunday Ticket.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't get as huge of a haul as some of you guys did, but I did well:

* $30 in bill credits for 12 months

* Free DVR (another $10 per month)

* Free NFL Ticket

* Six months free premium channels (didn't even ask for that one, dude was just throwing stuff in).

I had some pretty good leverage, my year commitment was up the end of the month. When I called and spoke with the initial person, I was very nice and lamented the fact that I had to cancel the Ticket because 'it wasn't in the budget'. We were talking and I said that I didn't even know why I was bothering since the wife was cancelling at the end of month anyway since she got it in her head that she was just going to go with Netflix and Hulu, but I didn't want to. The operator perked up and asked If she was able to get the bill down would that help. She offered me $15 off a month and I chuckled and said 'thank you, but I doubt that will sway her too much'. Then she asked me if I wanted to talk to 'someone who could help more'. I said 'well, it can't hurt'.

Next guy started off by asking what we watch and I gave him a rundown, of course throwing in the NFL and some premium channel shows. He said 'Well, first off, I can add another $15 credit per month, so that'll be $30 a month off right there. Let's seeeeee, ok, I can also knock off your $10 a month for the DVR'. I get the Grinchy smile and he's still looking. 'How about I also give you six months free premium channels too'? I'm thinking 'what, no NFL Ticket :(' ?

I said, 'well, that gives me some ammo to go back to the wife. She'll be calling you later I guess'. He starts to panic knowing she wouldn't be as easy since she wanted to get rid of DTV, not me. He goes 'how about I also throw the NFL Ticket on as well? That will require a year commitment to us though'. I told him that sounded good and I'll 'just have to deal with my wife later when I tell her the news'.

Next guy started off by asking what we watch and I gave him a rundown

Exact same thing. I told her "cooking, mad men, some show about annoying sisters in hollywood (prompting a laugh), lots of sports for me..."

Next guy started off by asking what we watch and I gave him a rundown

Exact same thing. I told her "cooking, mad men, some show about annoying sisters in hollywood (prompting a laugh), lots of sports for me..."
I mentioned MLB too, hoping I could get the baseball package too, but that wasn't to be I guess.

All in all, the best advice to give is: be NICE, be ready to cancel if necessary, and let them know that you know that there are other options out there. The most important thing is 'be nice'. If you're a doosh, you won't get as far.

How do you get to the 2nd level?

I went through the same charade as DH and she offered me:

$20 for 12 months

$15 for 15 months

I politely declined and said that we were being offered very competitive packages from Dish and Time Warner. She said that it was a limited time offer and that I could think about it and call back. Then she gave me a separate phone number and PIN number that lasts 5 days.

Would that be customer retention?

$20 for 12 months

$15 for 15 months

I politely declined and said that we were being offered very competitive packages from Dish and Time Warner. She said that it was a limited time offer and that I could think about it and call back. Then she gave me a separate phone number and PIN number that lasts 5 days.

You need to ask for retentions.

$20 for 12 months

$15 for 15 months

The first tier is very limited in what they can offer. The first person I spoke with was only able to offer the $15 off per month. When I said I didn't think that wouldn't be enough for the 'wife' to keep them, she offered to send me to the next level. I really think it depends on who you speak with though.

$20 for 12 months

$15 for 15 months

The first tier is very limited in what they can offer. The first person I spoke with was only able to offer the $15 off per month. When I said I didn't think that wouldn't be enough for the 'wife' to keep them, she offered to send me to the next level. I really think it depends on who you speak with though.
Yeah, I tried the wife angle as well. I bet Amanda had just broke up with her BF and didn't want to send me up the ladder.

First go round was not very productive. Half price Ticket and $15 off for 12 months. Hard to negotiate with no leverage, but I might try again in a few days.

Under contract from getting Whole Home DVR / Genie upgrades plus some other crap free a few months back... may be the first year I dont get ticket for free. Hrm.

Can I call if I am still under the 2 year contract? I called at this time last year and got a great deal but they have all run out now and would like to get my bill down again.

Can I call if I am still under the 2 year contract? I called at this time last year and got a great deal but they have all run out now and would like to get my bill down again.
I still was under contract through February and just had to extend to 1 year from today to get my deal

Just called. Said cancel service when it asked why I was calling. Waited on hold for 25 minutes before I got tired of waiting and hung up. Will try again later. If the same thing happens, they can come get their equipment and Ill have an iPad and hoppah within a week.

ETA: OK I won't really cancel, I'm just trying to stay in character.

Just called. Said cancel service at the first prompt, waited on hold for 25 minutes before I got tired of waiting and hung up. Will try again later. If the same thing happens, they can come get their equipment and Ill have an iPad and hoppah within a week.
First Prompt is "Are you a current customer?"

Second prompt asks to verify telephone.

3rd prompt is "Why are you calling"?

If you say "Cancel Service", it will ask if you are wanting to reduce service or close account. You say "Close Account" and you get customer retention.

Just called. Said cancel service at the first prompt, waited on hold for 25 minutes before I got tired of waiting and hung up. Will try again later. If the same thing happens, they can come get their equipment and Ill have an iPad and hoppah within a week.
First Prompt is "Are you a current customer?"

Second prompt asks to verify telephone.

3rd prompt is "Why are you calling"?

If you say "Cancel Service", it will ask if you are wanting to reduce service or close account. You say "Close Account" and you get customer retention.
I do this every year. I said it at the "why are you calling" prompt and then listened to their on hold soundtrack for almost half an hour. FBGs must be tying up the linesLol

Called and was connected immediately. Started by saying I'm a happy DTV customer, but, it was getting a bit expensive. Also mentioned I'm a big NFL fan, but, the ticket is a bit expensive. Within 2 minutes he offered a $45 savings per month (for the next 12 months) and the NFL Ticket Max. We also figured out I was being charged $6 per month for a receiver that I didn't have. Total of a $51 savings per month.

Be nice when calling and you'll get what you want. My total, after tax, for the next year is below $100, which works great for me.

GL All.

Edit to add this is the 3rd year in a row I've done this. Nice having the NFL ticket free.

I think they're going to get wise to this at some point. Their "retention" rate is like 99%. :lol:
I think they know what's going on and don't care one bit. In their eyes, my $99 per month to them with the free NFL ticket is better than my $0 per month to them without the NFL ticket. The dude asked me on the call if I made the same call last year and got the Ticket for free, I said "yes". He didn't care. Like I said before, this is the 3rd year in a row and I got the least resistance this year when making the call. I think a lot of it depends on the Customer Service person you get. I got a good one this year.

I think they're going to get wise to this at some point. Their "retention" rate is like 99%. :lol:
I think they know what's going on and don't care one bit. In their eyes, my $99 per month to them with the free NFL ticket is better than my $0 per month to them without the NFL ticket. The dude asked me on the call if I made the same call last year and got the Ticket for free, I said "yes". He didn't care. Like I said before, this is the 3rd year in a row and I got the least resistance this year when making the call. I think a lot of it depends on the Customer Service person you get. I got a good one this year.
Yeah, they must be raking in the cash. I've gotten so many free packages/installs/equipment at this point, I can't even count. Interesting business model compared to Comcast or AT&T. Once that bird is launched, capacity is unlimited. They don't have to worry about millions of miles of cable infrastructure to maintain and union installers. Each home is a self-contained network, installed by an independent tech, and once it's up, little to no maintenance is required.

Interesting that they pay about a billion a year for the rights to carry the Ticket, yet they will give it to you for free without a fight. They're obviously doing really well.

Think of it this way. IF they didn't give us the Ticket for free, how many of us, honestly, would remain with DTV? I know I wouldn't be. The Ticket is the thing that is actually keeping me with them over the Netflix option. I wasn't kidding when i call. If they call my bluff, then seeya later...

Yeah, they must be raking in the cash. I've gotten so many free packages/installs/equipment at this point, I can't even count.Interesting business model compared to Comcast or AT&T. Once that bird is launched, capacity is unlimited. They don't have to worry about millions of miles of cable infrastructure to maintain and union installers. Each home is a self-contained network, installed by an independent tech, and once it's up, little to no maintenance is required.

Interesting that they pay about a billion a year for the rights to carry the Ticket, yet they will give it to you for free without a fight. They're obviously doing really well.
All good points. Like you said, they don't have to really pay anything extra to keep that satellite beaming toward my receiver. If paying a billion for the NFL Ticket keeps $99 coming in per month from a schlub like me, it's worth it. Plus, not everyone knows the tricks that we know from FBG, so, I'm sure they are raking in their fair share from customers that actually pay for the Ticket. I was sure to call friends and family members to make sure they knew the proper talk track to get all of the free goodies.

As you mentioned McGarnicle, it's a business model. I'm sure the high level executives over there sit around and say, "so, are we going to give away the Ticket this year and discounts when people call in threatening to cancel?" The answer continues to be yes because the revenues obviously remain the same, or, increase.

Think of it this way. IF they didn't give us the Ticket for free, how many of us, honestly, would remain with DTV? I know I wouldn't be. The Ticket is the thing that is actually keeping me with them over the Netflix option. I wasn't kidding when i call. If they call my bluff, then seeya later...
Wife and I both watch all 16 games of our teams religiously and both teams are out of market. I'd probably pay double what I've paid over the years for the ticket. Think about the ticket & redzone and how utterly amazing that is compared to whatever was available before. Come to think of it, I've really had nothing but positive interactions with DTV for a lot of years. That deserves recognition nowadays. I can remember a lot of really surly and clueless reps when I've called Comcast, AT&T and Delta to name 3 off the top of my head.

I was just thinking. From July 15th-Sept 15th, how many "cancellation" calls per day, do you think DTV, on average, takes. Of those calls, what % is the Ticket given away? Of those "cancellation" calls, how many actually cancel? I'd like to know that information. Anyone know?

Wife and I both watch all 16 games of our teams religiously and both teams are out of market. I'd probably pay double what I've paid over the years for the ticket. Think about the ticket & redzone and how utterly amazing that is compared to whatever was available before.Come to think of it, I've really had nothing but positive interactions with DTV for a lot of years. That deserves recognition nowadays. I can remember a lot of really surly and clueless reps when I've called Comcast, AT&T and Delta to name 3 off the top of my head.
Agree. I've only had positive experiences when calling Customer Service. That's rare these days.

Tell them your local cable company is going to cover the early cancellation fee....really makes no difference if you're under contract or not in my experience

Yeah, they must be raking in the cash. I've gotten so many free packages/installs/equipment at this point, I can't even count.Interesting business model compared to Comcast or AT&T. Once that bird is launched, capacity is unlimited. They don't have to worry about millions of miles of cable infrastructure to maintain and union installers. Each home is a self-contained network, installed by an independent tech, and once it's up, little to no maintenance is required.

All good points. Like you said, they don't have to really pay anything extra to keep that satellite beaming toward my receiver. If paying a billion for the NFL Ticket keeps $99 coming in per month from a schlub like me, it's worth it. Plus, not everyone knows the tricks that we know from FBG, so, I'm sure they are raking in their fair share from customers that actually pay for the Ticket. I was sure to call friends and family members to make sure they knew the proper talk track to get all of the free goodies. As you mentioned McGarnicle, it's a business model. I'm sure the high level executives over there sit around and say, "so, are we going to give away the Ticket this year and discounts when people call in threatening to cancel?" The answer continues to be yes because the revenues obviously remain the same, or, increase.
Here's a good article I read earlier today when searching about others experiences.

Media Coverage

You’re not being too sneaky; the companies know people are doing this, and asking for a deal has been getting increasing media coverage. Here’s a lengthy WSJ article from late 2011:

Many providers offer less-expensive packages with fewer channels but don’t advertise them widely. Providers often will allow customers to continue cost-saving promotions well after they expire. Other providers will cut you a new deal every six months—but you have to call and ask. Often, if customers threaten to cancel service, they are transferred to the “retention department” staffed with representatives who are trained to offer customers deals to stay put.

However, most people still don’t bother, and that’s why the opportunity persists for those willing to act. In fact, Consumer Reports had some pretty interesting stats that showed that negotiating has some great odds:

Seven out of 10 readers with a triple-play package didn’t even try to bargain on their telecom bills. Yet of those who did, more than 90 percent got some accommodation. Price reductions led the list of concessions, with about 40 percent of bargainers reporting savings of up to $50 a month.

Remember, you lose nothing by asking! Even the shyest person can simply ask nicely for them to check if you are eligible for any discounts, there’s no requirement for meanness or verbal ninja skills. Share the discounts that you scored in the comments.

Under contract from getting Whole Home DVR / Genie upgrades plus some other crap free a few months back... may be the first year I dont get ticket for free. Hrm.
i was under contract last year and got it for free. ST automatically renews, so call them to cancel it, just say it is too expensive. It took me like 3-4 calls, each time they offered me something (not great because I was under contract and already getting free SHO and HBO). They want you to have the ticket as it increases viewership and makes the #'s look good to the NFL. I didn't get the ticket free directly, but they gave me 6 months with a $20 credit and 12 months of a $10 credit which covered the cost of ST.

i was under contract last year and got it for free. ST automatically renews, so call them to cancel it, just say it is too expensive. It took me like 3-4 calls, each time they offered me something (not great because I was under contract and already getting free SHO and HBO). They want you to have the ticket as it increases viewership and makes the #'s look good to the NFL. I didn't get the ticket free directly, but they gave me 6 months with a $20 credit and 12 months of a $10 credit which covered the cost of ST.
:blackdot:

Just joined DTV last year so still have a year of my contract left.

Got the first "Renewal" notice for the Ticket and the wife started a little :rant:

Told her not to worry, I'd call today to cancel.. Maybe with any luck I'll get something for nothing :popcorn:

Sunday Ticket Max

$35/mo off bill

Free Genie

Free install

Some movie package for 3 mos. He just threw it in and I didn't really give a damn, as the ST and Genie were my priorities. But I'm sure it'll be nice to have. We've never done any of the movie channels with them, so I'd imagine it's designed to generate interest.

Sunday Ticket Max

$35/mo off bill

Free Genie

Free install

Some movie package for 3 mos. He just threw it in and I didn't really give a damn, as the ST and Genie were my priorities. But I'm sure it'll be nice to have. We've never done any of the movie channels with them, so I'd imagine it's designed to generate interest.
I love the free movie channels.. Be it for 3 months or a weekend My DVR gets a work out during that period.. I just go to directTV's TV Guide on the web, look over the schedule and record any all movies I had considered adding to my DVD collection or planned on renting.

Easiest way to save :moneybag:

Sunday Ticket Max

$35/mo off bill

Free Genie

Free install

I love the free movie channels.. Be it for 3 months or a weekend My DVR gets a work out during that period.. I just go to directTV's TV Guide on the web, look over the schedule and record any all movies I had considered adding to my DVD collection or planned on renting.

I do this on free preview weekends.

AUG 9-11 = Free Cinemax Preview on DirecTV

With Genie and two DVRs you can store like 20-30 movies, recording 6-7 at once.

My bill was $95 a month and now it's just going to $86/month and I got free Genie & free install, movies for 2 months. and 1/2 off Sunday Ticket Max. Seems like others have fared better, but it was still well worth 25 minutes of my time. I have yet to pay full price for Sunday Ticket and usually get it for free. Still the best thing that I spend my $ on each year.

A few questions on the Genie

1) Does the Genie have a wifi connection or does it still require a cable like the older HD DVR's?

2) how does the Genie and Mini Genie communicate? Is it via your local network?

3) is there a way to transfer shows from old HD dvr to new genie that you have not yet watched?

Sunday Ticket Max

$35/mo off bill

Free Genie

Free install

Oh, I definitely enjoy them when we have them. But I'm not inclined to pay them $13/mo or whatever it is for them. And pressing to get them for free never really entered my mind from the standpoint of negotiating with them.

Did any of you get free Sunday Ticket last year AND are able to get same this year?

I was told I couldn't get the free offer this year as I was given it last year. Best they offered was 1/2 price for the ST Max.

Did any of you get free Sunday Ticket last year AND are able to get same this year?

I was told I couldn't get the free offer this year as I was given it last year. Best they offered was 1/2 price for the ST Max.
I'm at 3 years in a row.

:kicksrock: same here..

Told since I just joined last year the best he could do is drop the payments for Sunday ticket down to $29/month from $37.50

Not enough savings to justify it so losing it for a year..

contract is up next year at this time so things will be different then....

I'm at 3 years in a row.
Nice. Straight up ST for free, or enough other credits to make it free?
Straight up free. First year I used the 'wife is mad and everyone else is getting it'. The past two years have been 'you're giving it free to new customers and I'm a longtime loyal customer'. If you're counting credits to make it free then I'm 4 years in a row.
Must have got the wrong person.. Told the person "I love it, but wife isn't happy with the extra cost".. All I got was " I can take $10 off the payments" .. :(

Users who are viewing this thread