Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
oukurt

Can you negotiate with DirecTV?

On 8/8/2018 at 5:06 PM, Tiger Fan said:

Just got off the phone on my way home.  Called the 870-345-3640 # and said I missed a call.  They said they could offer me my existing package (XTRA + the sports fee) for $54/month (was paying $85 previously) with zero commitment.  Wouldn't give me anything as far as gift card or Sunday ticket.  I really pushed the Sunday ticket thing saying that was the only thing that set them apart from cutting the cord.  I said, that it wasn't worth it for me; but if he wanted to talk to a manager and call me back to do so.  He said he would, although I'm not expecting it.

When it's all said and done, I will take that deal if I don't get anything better...and even if I buy the Sunday ticket max, it will still only put me out $4/month more than I was spending previously.

On 8/8/2018 at 8:01 PM, Tiger Fan said:

This time I called the 855-291-0398 # and got offered virtually the same deal, but with 6 free months of HBO and they said the Sunday Ticket promotions should be coming via phone and email soon.  Even without them I'm ahead of where I was last year due to the free HBO....if I get some sort of promotion for Sunday Ticket, even better.

So I don't think there's any method to what deals are offered, I guess it's just luck of the draw :shrug:

I just called back to see if i could get anything in the way of sunday ticket.  They said i actually had a 2 year committment, which was BS.  they're taking care of that and giving me ST for free

When do they typically bill for Sunday Ticket? Curious as they bill my first installment in August but didn't get a charge on September bill. They had given me a ton of credits to offset charges already. If they somehow also forget to charge me for it that would be a great bonus.

Just had an issue with the baseball package. They had erroneously charged me back in March an extra debit, so I called and naturally wanted it removed. It took so long, that they then offered Extra Innings to me for free. Accepting that, I got an email stating that a credit had been issued which covered both the erroneous charge and the Extra debit. Well, my bill then showed the two charges again. I've spent months on this and they finally removed one of the charges, but said I wasn't getting Extra Innings for free. When they told me they didn't offer things for free, I scanned the email with the letterhead and emailed it to them. I then told them that their representatives (two of them) had assured me this wasn't the case. 

Things began to get heated and I got disconnected. If Sunday Ticket worked on any other platform, I'd cancel out of principle. This sucks. What a bunch of lying, thieving jerks. 

Does PS4 still do Sunday Ticket? 

And any recommendations about how to proceed? 

Edited by rockaction

35 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Just had an issue with the baseball package. They had erroneously charged me back in March an extra debit, so I called and naturally wanted it removed. It took so long, that they then offered Extra Innings to me for free. Accepting that, I got an email stating that a credit had been issued which covered both the erroneous charge and the Extra debit. Well, my bill then showed the two charges again. I've spent months on this and they finally removed one of the charges, but said I wasn't getting Extra Innings for free. When they told me they didn't offer things for free, I scanned the email with the letterhead and emailed it to them. I then told them that their representatives (two of them) had assured me this wasn't the case. 

Things began to get heated and I got disconnected. If Sunday Ticket worked on any other platform, I'd cancel out of principle. This sucks. What a bunch of lying, thieving jerks. 

Jailbroke firestick

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rockaction said:

I left DirevTV after 12 years a couple months back.  If you don't mind paying ~$25/month, Id recommend using an IPTV provider.  I use onesteptv and you get about 600 channels, including Sunday ticket with red zone, the mlb, NBA and nhl packages, all premium movie channels, as well as all PPV events included.  You also get a huge on demand library with just about every movie and every episode of every TV show that you can think of.  You can do a one day free trial, you just don't get the premium content during the trial.  It's easy to setup as well, get a Firestick, download the app NoraGo and then sign up with a service provider and youre good to go.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jonrolly said:

I left DirevTV after 12 years a couple months back.  If you don't mind paying ~$25/month, Id recommend using an IPTV provider.  I use onesteptv and you get about 600 channels, including Sunday ticket with red zone, the mlb, NBA and nhl packages, all premium movie channels, as well as all PPV events included.  You also get a huge on demand library with just about every movie and every episode of every TV show that you can think of.  You can do a one day free trial, you just don't get the premium content during the trial.  It's easy to setup as well, get a Firestick, download the app NoraGo and then sign up with a service provider and youre good to go.  

Thanks. I'm really trying to figure out how to get the football package because cable has all the others and I think we'll still get cable somehow. Though I like the idea of cutting the cable and dish networks entirely.  

Edited by rockaction

2 minutes ago, rockaction said:

Thanks. I'm really trying to figure out how to get the football package because cable has all the others and I think we'll still get cable somehow. Though I like the idea of cutting the cable and dish networks entirely.  

If you're looking for the "Sunday ticket experience" but don't want to have to go through DirecTV, I'd say IPTV is going to be your best option.  The quality is good, Its been reliable 99% of the time this season and you still have a guide like what you're used to with DirecTV/cable.  The only other option I'm aware of is Reddit streams or something like that. 

The other thing I forgot to include is that it also includes Netflix exclusive content, YouTube exclusive, Amazon exclusive etc.

I do have a couple friends who are running IPTV and kept a basic version of cable/DirecTV mostly for the reasons like what you're describing..... They just want the NFL ticket reliably, without having to scour online for streams, or they want the UFC ppvs, and it works well for that, as long as you don't mind the monthly fee. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:08 PM, jonrolly said:

Since I'm considering canceling my DirecTV, I tried the free trial of onesteptv. It's a great service but the picture quality is lacking on a really big TV. Looked great on my ipad though.

3 hours ago, Gianni Verscotchie said:

Since I'm considering canceling my DirecTV, I tried the free trial of onesteptv. It's a great service but the picture quality is lacking on a really big TV. Looked great on my ipad though.

How big is your TV and what is your internet speed?  Our main TV is 60" and we have probably the slowest FIOS speed they offer.  There's been a couple times watching NFL games that things get pixelated but I've never noticed it watching anything else including NBA games, UFC fights and movies/shows.  Im glad you tried it out though.  I know there are a bunch of other service providers like Streamz, GNR and Insight that you could try out as well.     

i called up directv and said lets negotiate and they said about what and i told them you have already lost by asking the first question and then i told them that they had made a grave mistake by making an enemy of none other than the ole swcer so when they call back i am pretty sure that they will give me free tv take that to the bank bromigos 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2018 at 8:08 PM, jonrolly said:

this sounds too good to be true.  What's the catch?

11 hours ago, Tiger Fan said:

this sounds too good to be true.  What's the catch?

I'm only a couple months in but I haven't come across anything deal breaking yet.  We dont have a DVR anymore, which took some getting used to, but shows are typically available in the On-Demand library within 1 day.  The thing that annoys me the most is being limited by the buttons on the FireStick remote; although you can get the FireStick Remote app on your phone which does work a little better.  There are also a bunch of channels that show up on the guide that I have no interest in watching and there isnt a way to filter them out.  But, as far as content and price, the service can't be beat.  The other poster said he experienced some quality issues but we haven't had any.  

21 hours ago, jonrolly said:

How big is your TV and what is your internet speed?  Our main TV is 60" and we have probably the slowest FIOS speed they offer.  There's been a couple times watching NFL games that things get pixelated but I've never noticed it watching anything else including NBA games, UFC fights and movies/shows.  Im glad you tried it out though.  I know there are a bunch of other service providers like Streamz, GNR and Insight that you could try out as well.     

75" 4k. Speed is over 100mb. I did a direct comparison while watching the world series and dancing with the stars. DirecTV looked noticeably better. My wife agreed and she doesn't know anything about TV. It's too bad because I could save a bunch of dough

16 minutes ago, Gianni Verscotchie said:

75" 4k. Speed is over 100mb. I did a direct comparison while watching the world series and dancing with the stars. DirecTV looked noticeably better. My wife agreed and she doesn't know anything about TV. It's too bad because I could save a bunch of dough

I wish I could be of more help.  I'm definitely a novice when it comes to cord cutting though.  I will say if you are watching your DirecTV picture in 4k, I definitely think it's possible you'd see a quality difference as I dont think any of the channels have that high a resolution.  The way IPTV works, you are watching someone else's screen who is broadcasting the channel to the service, so the quality will be capped by whatever the person streaming has.

16 minutes ago, jonrolly said:

I wish I could be of more help.  I'm definitely a novice when it comes to cord cutting though.  I will say if you are watching your DirecTV picture in 4k, I definitely think it's possible you'd see a quality difference as I dont think any of the channels have that high a resolution.  The way IPTV works, you are watching someone else's screen who is broadcasting the channel to the service, so the quality will be capped by whatever the person streaming has.

Thanks for the explanation. It's a great service for most people. Tons of content. Ridiculous price.

DIRECTV Sunday Ticket Max

Baseball Ticket 2019

Premier Package 

3 receivers

300 Dollar Visa Card 

78 bucks for 1 year and no contract. 

spoke with Rashon Paster 855 291 0398   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gianni Verscotchie said:

How long after you cancel DTV before you are eligible as a new customer?

1 second

• Laughing 1

Interesting email today from AT&T.  Of course it's from AT&T - someone figured out how much they were losing to pro-rated services....

Please read this if you receive DIRECTV and/or AT&T Fixed Wireless service(s). We want to remind you that you’re billed in advance for recurring service(s) and/or programming charges and applicable fees based on the terms of your current service agreement(s) with us. Starting January 14, 2019, subject to applicable laws, we’re updating your agreement(s) to include your recurring service(s)/programming charges and fees won’t be prorated if you cancel the above service(s) on any day other than the last day of your billing cycle. Your service(s) will continue until the end of your billing cycle but you won’t get a refund (prorated credits) for any remaining days left in your billing cycle. For products not listed above, refer to their terms of service for more information. 

Got an email a while back from DTV apologizing for poor Sunday Ticket service during one of the weekends. There was a link to click if you had bad service so they would know to apply a partial refund to cover that weeks games. Sure, why not (even though I never noticed that week). The credit did show up on a recent statement.

On 11/29/2018 at 1:29 PM, GoBears84 said:

Interesting email today from AT&T.  Of course it's from AT&T - someone figured out how much they were losing to pro-rated services....

I saw that too. While I want to be outraged I think it will clean up a ton of billing errors for customers and simplify bills. If the pro-rated credits get screwed up the debits and credits to fix it are often other-worldly in their complexity creating frustration for both parties and often multiple phone calls that even thereafter may exacerbate the problems. Rabbit holes ain’t got nothing on these headaches.

So Directv feels it needs to update its streaming app so that you can no longer access recorded shows on your home DVR unless you are on the same network as the DVR. And, in order to reduce that service, they update the app AND make it compatible only with IOS 10 or newer. The older version of the app no longer works, and for those with older iPads who can't upgrade to IOS 10, there's no way to upgrade to the new Directv app. End result = dead app.  Thanks Directv. As much as I hate Comcast, it may be time to move on.

1 hour ago, apalmer said:

So Directv feels it needs to update its streaming app so that you can no longer access recorded shows on your home DVR unless you are on the same network as the DVR. And, in order to reduce that service, they update the app AND make it compatible only with IOS 10 or newer. The older version of the app no longer works, and for those with older iPads who can't upgrade to IOS 10, there's no way to upgrade to the new Directv app. End result = dead app.  Thanks Directv. As much as I hate Comcast, it may be time to move on.

Not at all uncommon for mobile app developers to not support legacy OSes. iOS 10 is two years old.....that's ancient in the mobile world.

Moving in 2 weeks and have to get our directv switched to the new place. Do they try to charge a lot for it or can you negotiate? 

20 minutes ago, flapgreen said:

Moving in 2 weeks and have to get our directv switched to the new place. Do they try to charge a lot for it or can you negotiate? 

When I moved they did it all for free but made me sign a new contract which actually makes sense from there side. 

I was able to still do the whole Sunday ticket thing, but you might find the deals slightly less favorable from a contract depending who you get. I would call and say you’re moving will they move your stuff free and they usually say ya with a contract. 

Now in the last 5 months of my contract where they are paying me $13 a month for service, the Xtra package and HBO. I doubt I'll get $155 credits a month again next time but it's sure been nice.

Moving and getting directv transferred over. Customer service is a nightmare now. Multiple Indian folks I've been moved between. First call to move internet was 45 minutes long. Said I had to call a different number for TV. Called for TV and they said they had no record of moving internet.  Total 1hr 15min on 2nd call. . First part of this call lasted 20 minutes and the lady said she had to transfer me to someone else and start over. Smh. All 3 Indian folks that I could barely understand. 

Finally got switched over to the new address. Fiber for the first time. Awesome. 

I talked to the guy hooking up the Satellite about customer service. He said they've now switched over all customer service reps that work for Directv to Bangladesh and similar type places. No more talking to someone you can communicate with easily. That's very unfortunate. Customer service has always been a big selling point for me with Direct. 

On 5/4/2019 at 10:06 AM, flapgreen said:

Finally got switched over to the new address. Fiber for the first time. Awesome. 

I talked to the guy hooking up the Satellite about customer service. He said they've now switched over all customer service reps that work for Directv to Bangladesh and similar type places. No more talking to someone you can communicate with easily. That's very unfortunate. Customer service has always been a big selling point for me with Direct. 

Interesting.  When I had issues with DTV about a month ago I was speaking with people with heavy southern accents.  Same communication barrier as I could hardly understand them either.

What a train wreck Direct TV has been.  Long time uVerse customer and got tired of the pricing game every couple of years and every store I walked into some salesperson for Direct TV getting me to switch.  Finally at Costco about 6 weeks ago and caved in and agreed to the switch.  What a comedy of errors that has happened since. 

I figured they are both now AT&T, shouldn't be much difference.  Well, after about 6 technician visits and hours and hours and hours on the phone, the service still doesn't work. 

1 - Installation tech shows up Saturday morning at 8am, when my scheduled install was for the next Tuesday.  I agree to go ahead and just do the install.  All was fine when he left, had a picture, etc - but no On Demand or Rewind, as that takes 24-48 hours to populate since that comes in via the internet.

2 - On Demand and Rewind has never worked in 6+ weeks.  I've now had 5 Direct TV techs and one AT&T internet technician at my house.  Direct TV says it's an internet thing.  The internet says it's a Direct TV thing. 

3 - Since my internet is AT&T and Direct TV is AT&T, they somehow can't figure out how to combine my billing.  Now I've lost my "bundle" price on the internet.  First month my internet went from the $40 bundle price to $60.  AT&T can't figure out how to combine my accounts since the uVerse was under my wife's name and the Direct TV is under my name.  We tried to get them to transfer the internet to my name and then combine accounts, but it's 2 different systems in the AT&T billing world.  So now the internet has gone up to $75 in month 2. 

4 - When signing up at Costco, I was supposed to get a $200 Costco cash card.  Today, a $100 Visa Debit card shows up. 

I've been escalated to the Office of the President at AT&T for weeks now.  It's getting quite comical, as every part of this process has gone horribly wrong.  I still don't have On Demand/Rewind.  They are completely baffled as to what my issue is.  But at least they've credited me the entire first full month and adding on some movie packages as well. 

If it wasn't for my wife, I'd have cut the cord by now. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Fishboy said:

What a train wreck Direct TV has been.  Long time uVerse customer and got tired of the pricing game every couple of years and every store I walked into some salesperson for Direct TV getting me to switch.  Finally at Costco about 6 weeks ago and caved in and agreed to the switch.  What a comedy of errors that has happened since. 

I figured they are both now AT&T, shouldn't be much difference.  Well, after about 6 technician visits and hours and hours and hours on the phone, the service still doesn't work. 

1 - Installation tech shows up Saturday morning at 8am, when my scheduled install was for the next Tuesday.  I agree to go ahead and just do the install.  All was fine when he left, had a picture, etc - but no On Demand or Rewind, as that takes 24-48 hours to populate since that comes in via the internet.

2 - On Demand and Rewind has never worked in 6+ weeks.  I've now had 5 Direct TV techs and one AT&T internet technician at my house.  Direct TV says it's an internet thing.  The internet says it's a Direct TV thing. 

3 - Since my internet is AT&T and Direct TV is AT&T, they somehow can't figure out how to combine my billing.  Now I've lost my "bundle" price on the internet.  First month my internet went from the $40 bundle price to $60.  AT&T can't figure out how to combine my accounts since the uVerse was under my wife's name and the Direct TV is under my name.  We tried to get them to transfer the internet to my name and then combine accounts, but it's 2 different systems in the AT&T billing world.  So now the internet has gone up to $75 in month 2. 

4 - When signing up at Costco, I was supposed to get a $200 Costco cash card.  Today, a $100 Visa Debit card shows up. 

I've been escalated to the Office of the President at AT&T for weeks now.  It's getting quite comical, as every part of this process has gone horribly wrong.  I still don't have On Demand/Rewind.  They are completely baffled as to what my issue is.  But at least they've credited me the entire first full month and adding on some movie packages as well. 

If it wasn't for my wife, I'd have cut the cord by now. 

Seems to be the direction they're going. Was hoping it wouldn't change once AT&T took over, but it appears it was only just a matter of time. 

5 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

Interesting.  When I had issues with DTV about a month ago I was speaking with people with heavy southern accents.  Same communication barrier as I could hardly understand them either.

My communication involved switching to a new address and upgrading the internet. They couldn't do it all at the same time. Called one number for TV. Then they said I would have to call a different for internet.  2 phone calls to get switched over last a total of 1 hr 45mins. Complete opposite of my experience with DTV over the last 8 years. 

1 hour ago, flapgreen said:

My communication involved switching to a new address and upgrading the internet. They couldn't do it all at the same time. Called one number for TV. Then they said I would have to call a different for internet.  2 phone calls to get switched over last a total of 1 hr 45mins. Complete opposite of my experience with DTV over the last 8 years. 

My experience x100. 

Getting my service to work, let alone my billing combined is beyond something AT&T can figure out. 

I'm dealing with the Office of the President now. Their regular customer service outside the United States was beyond worthless  

Only good part is the more I #####, the more $$ they refund. 

Hell, at this point they can't even figure out how to add HBO to my account. Total ineptitude. 

Edited by Fishboy

On 5/17/2019 at 8:40 PM, flapgreen said:

Oh I agree.  I had the same issues, just with people in the states.  Had to switch people multiple times (had an error message on screen, no change to service).  Every time they pass you to a new person you have to reverify your identity and that whole rigamarole.  Definitely not what it used to be.

• Like 1

Got an email today from DirecTV today that said, "Thank you for contacting DIRECTV. We are processing your change of service request."

I called and asked about it, and rep said my account was "upgraded" with some movie pack that is free for 3 months and am I okay with that?  I asked what happened after 3 months and she said I'd be charged monthly for it.  I said I didn't want it and asked how it was added and she said it showed I called two days to add it.  

What is this sketchy bull####?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shuke said:

Got an email today from DirecTV today that said, "Thank you for contacting DIRECTV. We are processing your change of service request."

I called and asked about it, and rep said my account was "upgraded" with some movie pack that is free for 3 months and am I okay with that?  I asked what happened after 3 months and she said I'd be charged monthly for it.  I said I didn't want it and asked how it was added and she said it showed I called two days to add it.  

I have no idea, but it happened to me too.  Pitched a fit and they gave me a discount on HBO (which I did actually already have).  Still not worth it.

I've had DirecTV and ATT cell for years. They've been trying to merge my billing ever since they took over DTV.

This is confirming everything I expected after hearing that AT&T was taking over DirecTV. 

The bizarre thing is how/why their customer service is so consistently awful for so many years.  If you have a customer that's been on the line for 30+ minutes, maybe, just maybe, you should stop ####ing them around, figure out a solution offline and get back to the customer. 

9 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

I have no idea, but it happened to me too.  Pitched a fit and they gave me a discount on HBO (which I did actually already have).  Still not worth it.

This week?

15 hours ago, shuke said:

Haven't had this happen to me with DirecTV yet, but I had it happen to me with Xfinity three times.  The firs two times, I got a bill for triple my monthly bill.  Looked at the detail and home phone had been added and a couple hundred dollars of international calling had been done without my knowledge.  Both times I called and said this wasn't me and I didn't add it and they took it off.  The third time I spent over an hour talking to managers about how this could have been added without my consent and basically accused them of scamming me.  Got a fat discount for a extended period of time.

I'm guessing this is a widespread scam either with the providers knowledge, or tacit consent by not really caring how it is happening.

Let the yearly game begin. I called the movers connection. They advised me my 55.00 credit from last year was ending. There would be a new 12 month agreement to transfer service. No NFL ticket offer, and a movers fee of 199.00.

I waited 4 days and called to cancel tonight. I advised that I was getting absolutly nothing in return for moving my service, other than a new contract and an additional fee. I let them know I was only with them for the Ticket, and I can bundle services with Xfinity and get redzone.

No offer made and they now only cancel at the end of your bill cycle. My service wont be turned off until June 22.

I now await for my win back call. I will post an update.

4 minutes ago, seahawk 17 said:

Let the yearly game begin. I called the movers connection. They advised me my 55.00 credit from last year was ending. There would be a new 12 month agreement to transfer service. No NFL ticket offer, and a movers fee of 199.00.

I waited 4 days and called to cancel tonight. I advised that I was getting absolutly nothing in return for moving my service, other than a new contract and an additional fee. I let them know I was only with them for the Ticket, and I can bundle services with Xfinity and get redzone.

No offer made and they now only cancel at the end of your bill cycle. My service wont be turned off until June 22.

I now await for my win back call. I will post an update.

The article I posted said they were more than happy to let deal seekers like you go. Keep us updated.

3 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

The article I posted said they were more than happy to let deal seekers like you go. Keep us updated.

Just read it. Interesting to see where they draw the line. I am spending an estimated 3700 a year. I have my tv/cell bundled, premiere package, and tons of PPV.