What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (4 Viewers)

Thanks @need2know.  How far in advance did you call?  We're moving on 7/29 and I don't think the new house has a dish.

Just to confirm, you didn't cancel but just called and told them you were moving, correct?  Assuming based on the free stuff, there was no additional fees for the move, correct?
Did not cancel no fees and I would call whenever .  You might have to agree to. 2 year contract though

Interesting read in The Athletic from Daniel Kaplan. It confirms that ATT has no idea what to do with DirecTV / SundayTicket.

Anyhow here is the biggest takeaway-

The NFL is at standstill in talks with AT&T over the future of NFL Sunday Ticket on the company’s DirecTV satellite outlet, NFL ownership and other sources said. As a result, they said, the NFL expects to ride out the current deal to its conclusion at the end of the 2020-21 season.

That means consumers of the popular out-of-market package would not get a streaming, cable or other option, as has largely been speculated.

Interesting read in The Athletic from Daniel Kaplan. It confirms that ATT has no idea what to do with DirecTV / SundayTicket.

Anyhow here is the biggest takeaway-

The NFL is at standstill in talks with AT&T over the future of NFL Sunday Ticket on the company’s DirecTV satellite outlet, NFL ownership and other sources said. As a result, they said, the NFL expects to ride out the current deal to its conclusion at the end of the 2020-21 season.

That means consumers of the popular out-of-market package would not get a streaming, cable or other option, as has largely been speculated.
Everyone has smart tv’s / streaming devices. Just make an app, sell direct, and be done with it. 

ATT and DirectTV are the most inept companies I think I've ever dealt with. 

Similar to @JaxBill they can't combine my internet and DirecTV bill.  Had DirecTV installed a few months ago.  On Demand and the rewind feature has never worked.  I've had at least 8-10 techs out here, multiple online chat sessions.  I'm at whatever the Office of the President support level.  It's been over a month since I've heard from them and they can't offer an explanation.  Granted, they've credited my account quite significantly over the past few months, but it's not worth my time quite frankly to continue to wait on them to figure their own systems out.  

Previously I had ATT uVerse which was flawless.  Only reason I switched is because the rates kept going up and up.  

It’s getting to be that time. I think August begins next time for the call.  Don’t forget to cancel your auto renew for Sunday ticket.  

So I called and cancelled service on my lunch break yesterday and service went out at midnight last night. Have never gone through the actual cancellation before but want to see if I can get a deal. Been following this thread for quite a while and ready to play their game. I guess my question is if I don't receive an email, when should I call to try to get the best deal. Also is the 870-345-3640 the best # to call for this? Thanks for any help!!

So I called and cancelled service on my lunch break yesterday and service went out at midnight last night. Have never gone through the actual cancellation before but want to see if I can get a deal. Been following this thread for quite a while and ready to play their game. I guess my question is if I don't receive an email, when should I call to try to get the best deal. Also is the 870-345-3640 the best # to call for this? Thanks for any help!!
I'd probably wait until tomorrow to call.

Cant get the wife to give up DirecTV, so my annual song and dance began this week after my monthly bill for  Xtra  and 3 receivers went from $27/month to $91/month. Called 8005315000 (none of the other numbers I tried went through) and got Retentions, but they would not budge much and only offered $15/month off. Set up disconnect date for yesterday. Called the 800 number this morning, asked for the Winback department, and got the same crappy $15/month off offer. Passed on that. Called back 4 hours later, asked for the Winback department again,  and this time I got a guy that would work with me. Was able to keep Xtra at $65/month, plus a $200 Visa card lowering the cost to about $48/month, plus free Sunday Ticket (passed on the free movie channels). Not as good as last year, but if you are persistent (or lucky) you can find someone that will deal.

Mine is up Sep 18 I believe. I will call at end of August to cancel after my Aug 18 bill. I had a smoking deal last year. Got the Xtra package and paid full price for Sunday Ticket and added HBO at full price...but I also received $155 a month for 12 months in credits. My bill for the last few months has been a credit of $11 a month. Would be awesome to get a similar deal but I understand probably not possible. Hoping for free ticket and the typical $65 a month credit deal. 

So I received an email telling me that they already miss me! Going to call them after the kids go to bed. Do you come right out and ask for the gift card? Something to the tune that I know others that receive it, and to stay a customer I would like the gift card as well?

So I received an email telling me that they already miss me! Going to call them after the kids go to bed. Do you come right out and ask for the gift card? Something to the tune that I know others that receive it, and to stay a customer I would like the gift card as well?
This is a good sign. Which number did they email you and did they have a new name for the “Winback” program?

See what they offer first. Then get into “my wife likes to watch movies,” for free movie channels.

’Do you like football?” For free Sunday Ticket if you like that.

”Bill is still higher than I want to spend,” to make sure the discounts are all reviewed hard. 

If they don’t bring the gift card up then ask about it last. “One of my buddies mentioned that he got...”

Well that was easy!! Called the # above and they had to call me back because my service was all the way cancelled I guess. An Anahi called me 10 minutes later and  after telling her everything I wanted due to the price to high and wife unwilling to pay 140/month she gave me it. Bill will be less than $70/month for choice and 2 boxes. STM for free, HBO free for 12 months and other movie channel for 3 months. And they gave me a $200 gift card. At 1st she said $100 then said she saw another one for the $200. Plan on doing it again same time next year!!

Well that was easy!! Called the # above and they had to call me back because my service was all the way cancelled I guess. An Anahi called me 10 minutes later and  after telling her everything I wanted due to the price to high and wife unwilling to pay 140/month she gave me it. Bill will be less than $70/month for choice and 2 boxes. STM for free, HBO free for 12 months and other movie channel for 3 months. And they gave me a $200 gift card. At 1st she said $100 then said she saw another one for the $200. Plan on doing it again same time next year!!
Excellent! Good to hear some success before many of us kick into renewal mode. I was worried that AT&T wouldn’t give as much this year. Hopefully that continues.  :thumbup:

It looks like we have a new catch phrase for renewal conversations, boys...”I got an email that you want to make it up to me.”  :headbang:

Just disconnected.   Was offered to keep my bill the same which is about 60 bucks off per month with no contract extension but still said no.  I'm going out of town for the next couple days so will call back on sunday.  Apparently my disconnect wont actually take place until august 14 since that's the end of my billing cycle. Not sure if that will effect anything 

My contract is also up end of month

Last edited by a moderator:
Just disconnected.   Was offered to keep my bill the same which is about 60 bucks off per month with no contract extension but still said no.  I'm going out of town for the next couple days so will call back on sunday.  Apparently my disconnect wont actually take place until august 14 since that's the end of my billing cycle. Not sure if that will effect anything 

My contract is also up end of month
Interested to see what happens as I'm planning similar timing end of next month.

ATT and DirectTV are the most inept companies I think I've ever dealt with. 

Similar to @JaxBill they can't combine my internet and DirecTV bill.  Had DirecTV installed a few months ago.  On Demand and the rewind feature has never worked.  I've had at least 8-10 techs out here, multiple online chat sessions.  I'm at whatever the Office of the President support level.  It's been over a month since I've heard from them and they can't offer an explanation.  Granted, they've credited my account quite significantly over the past few months, but it's not worth my time quite frankly to continue to wait on them to figure their own systems out.  

Previously I had ATT uVerse which was flawless.  Only reason I switched is because the rates kept going up and up.  
We had the same On Demand problem.  A nice lady at ATT fixed it for me.  I really need to start taking notes on these things, since I can't remember exactly what she said she reset.  

However, one of the ATT communities has this suggestion:

Also please use the CLEARMYBOX this will reboot the receiver it will not change any settings or lose any recording it will flush all the current guide data and VOD data and reload it fresh. It will take 24 to 48 hours to fully populate.
If you can find this, it might fix the problem.  It does seem very similar to what the tech support person did fro her end.

We had the same On Demand problem.  A nice lady at ATT fixed it for me.  I really need to start taking notes on these things, since I can't remember exactly what she said she reset.  

However, one of the ATT communities has this suggestion:

If you can find this, it might fix the problem.  It does seem very similar to what the tech support person did fro her end.
Thanks. Did this on multiple boxes with none ever working. 

They're letting me out of contact and waiving the termination fee and go back to uVerse. Far superior product. 

I have the same problem. Says my internet connection is not stable enough which is bs. Well it was bs. My new modem and speed is flaky. Cox is really annoying me tonight.

Called today to cancel, asked why, told them bill too high it’s time to move on. Transferred to loyalty and told them the same, I’m out. Loyalty rep said call customer service back and tell them to do a “pending disconnect” effective at end of billing cycle then give him a call back and he will give me discounts on service. Called CS back told them, I’m out I want a pending disconnect for end of billing cycle...........Done. 

Called loyalty guy back and was offered $90 off a month for 12 months, one time $50 credit and Sunday Ticket Max for free........Total bill $35.xx for the next 12 months.  

Checked my account online, Sunday Ticket Max 2019 has been added. 

Called today to cancel, asked why, told them bill too high it’s time to move on. Transferred to loyalty and told them the same, I’m out. Loyalty rep said call customer service back and tell them to do a “pending disconnect” effective at end of billing cycle then give him a call back and he will give me discounts on service. Called CS back told them, I’m out I want a pending disconnect for end of billing cycle...........Done. 

Called loyalty guy back and was offered $90 off a month for 12 months, one time $50 credit and Sunday Ticket Max for free........Total bill $35.xx for the next 12 months.  

When was the last time you had discounts?  How far were you into a contract?  This seems too easy.

So “pending” disconnect opened up some discounts where in previous years it came to be that they quit going for that bluff and only gave discounts after “actual” disconnect? I’m not buying that this is optimal. It may allow some discounts but I doubt it gives maximum discounts. 

I’m probably doing the normal script regardless, but can someone who did this last year check under their “my programming” and see if NFL Sunday ticket shows $0 (under my sports channels) and the max shows as costing money? 

I went in to turn off auto-renew and it sure looks like Sunday Ticket is already in my account at $0. Maybe that is just how it shows this early?

I’m probably doing the normal script regardless, but can someone who did this last year check under their “my programming” and see if NFL Sunday ticket shows $0 (under my sports channels) and the max shows as costing money? 

I went in to turn off auto-renew and it sure looks like Sunday Ticket is already in my account at $0. Maybe that is just how it shows this early?
Yes that is just how it shows before they add it back in for this year.

PM me a copy of email if you could. What’s the special number to call ?

So did everyone see their bill go up before making the call?

my 7/9 debit was my last cheap bill. The August isn’t out yet. Should I wait for it to drop?

Can you DM or post me the numbers?

Called today to set up disconnect on August 5. I still have a 1st gen Genie and told them I would need some discounts and equipment upgrade. The kind lady told me they can't do anything about the equipment and didn't have anything to offer me right now. I told her to go ahead with disconnect.

Now I wait. :popcorn:

Just called.  My bill generates on 7/22 for 8/9 debit. Still $26.49

Was told to call a week before it drops in August to try and get it lowered.  

Looks like I’m waiting till 8/18. Hopefully deals are still left!  

Wonder why I just can’t call after the August debit.  

Called today to set up disconnect on August 5. I still have a 1st gen Genie and told them I would need some discounts and equipment upgrade. The kind lady told me they can't do anything about the equipment and didn't have anything to offer me right now. I told her to go ahead with disconnect.

why so far in the future on disconnect date? 

shuke said:
When was the last time you had discounts?  How far were you into a contract?  This seems too easy.
I called same time last year, same discounts were ending next month. I don’t have a contract, haven’t had one in about 3 years. With new update, no contract. 

Gottabesweet said:
I bet you can call their bluff 24 hours and call the special number and say you got a email from them.  See if they offer it ahead of time. 
I did this last year and it worked

I did this last year and it worked
I did that as well, (posted an epic deal in this thread)

what Im curious is if I can make the call ahead of time?  My statement drops tomorrow 7/22 with my $26.49 coming out 8/8.  Do I have to wait till 8/9 to call or 8/22 when the next statement drops and the big amount is due? 

My account closed on 06/22. Just got my email. Called the number and was offered 200.00 credit to my account. 65.00 monthly credit, and free ST. New 12 month agreement, but I am fine with that.

yellowdog said:

Gottabesweet said:
I bet you can call their bluff 24 hours and call the special number and say you got a email from them.  See if they offer it ahead of time. 

I called today, only offer was iPhone 7 for $55/month.  :lol: So, I moved my disconnect date up to 7/29

just cancelled after some BS customer service the last few days/mpnths....

was told yesterday they would give me $60/mo credit for 12 months but got an email this morning saying I got a ONE TIME $60 credit to my account...very nice CS lady at disconnect verified the BS credit and in the "notes" section saw where I WAS supposedly offered the $60/mo credit, and she would report  the person who gave me the bogus offer....

so I disconnected hoping I could set the date for tomorrow but found that ATT (as others have noted above) will NOT prorate disconnects any more even if you are not under contract, so I wait til 8/19 when my current billing cycle ends for my disconnect and will see what happens.

as an aside.....a few months ago I was offered free Starz because I'm such a loyal, long term customer but after my free month I started getting billed for it as I was supposed to cancel it if I no longer wanted it....of course the person offering the free Starz failed to mention this and it took 3 calls to straighten out....BUYER BEWARE with ATT/DTV

Gottabesweet said:
Very curious if you’ll get an offer before then. Keep us posted.

Mine run out 8/22. Wonder if I put in my disconnect date now if I’ll receive an email before then or can call that number or just wait. 
from a practical standpoint if you are really cancelling a future date makes sense, I did the same just now because if they don't pony up I need some time to get my cable installed so I'm not without TV for a while. So I basically cancelled today and will give them maybe a week to see if I get a call, if not I will do one last call and then setup a date to install my cable.

I have been a customer for 19 years and got a deal every year up until now but customer retention didn't offer much today $16 off per month for 6 months of the Sunday ticket charge which isn't #### so I just put in a cancellation for August 20th

Users who are viewing this thread