Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
oukurt

Can you negotiate with DirecTV?

On 5/4/2019 at 10:06 AM, flapgreen said:

Finally got switched over to the new address. Fiber for the first time. Awesome. 

I talked to the guy hooking up the Satellite about customer service. He said they've now switched over all customer service reps that work for Directv to Bangladesh and similar type places. No more talking to someone you can communicate with easily. That's very unfortunate. Customer service has always been a big selling point for me with Direct. 

Interesting.  When I had issues with DTV about a month ago I was speaking with people with heavy southern accents.  Same communication barrier as I could hardly understand them either.

What a train wreck Direct TV has been.  Long time uVerse customer and got tired of the pricing game every couple of years and every store I walked into some salesperson for Direct TV getting me to switch.  Finally at Costco about 6 weeks ago and caved in and agreed to the switch.  What a comedy of errors that has happened since. 

I figured they are both now AT&T, shouldn't be much difference.  Well, after about 6 technician visits and hours and hours and hours on the phone, the service still doesn't work. 

1 - Installation tech shows up Saturday morning at 8am, when my scheduled install was for the next Tuesday.  I agree to go ahead and just do the install.  All was fine when he left, had a picture, etc - but no On Demand or Rewind, as that takes 24-48 hours to populate since that comes in via the internet.

2 - On Demand and Rewind has never worked in 6+ weeks.  I've now had 5 Direct TV techs and one AT&T internet technician at my house.  Direct TV says it's an internet thing.  The internet says it's a Direct TV thing. 

3 - Since my internet is AT&T and Direct TV is AT&T, they somehow can't figure out how to combine my billing.  Now I've lost my "bundle" price on the internet.  First month my internet went from the $40 bundle price to $60.  AT&T can't figure out how to combine my accounts since the uVerse was under my wife's name and the Direct TV is under my name.  We tried to get them to transfer the internet to my name and then combine accounts, but it's 2 different systems in the AT&T billing world.  So now the internet has gone up to $75 in month 2. 

4 - When signing up at Costco, I was supposed to get a $200 Costco cash card.  Today, a $100 Visa Debit card shows up. 

I've been escalated to the Office of the President at AT&T for weeks now.  It's getting quite comical, as every part of this process has gone horribly wrong.  I still don't have On Demand/Rewind.  They are completely baffled as to what my issue is.  But at least they've credited me the entire first full month and adding on some movie packages as well. 

If it wasn't for my wife, I'd have cut the cord by now. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Fishboy said:

What a train wreck Direct TV has been.  Long time uVerse customer and got tired of the pricing game every couple of years and every store I walked into some salesperson for Direct TV getting me to switch.  Finally at Costco about 6 weeks ago and caved in and agreed to the switch.  What a comedy of errors that has happened since. 

I figured they are both now AT&T, shouldn't be much difference.  Well, after about 6 technician visits and hours and hours and hours on the phone, the service still doesn't work. 

1 - Installation tech shows up Saturday morning at 8am, when my scheduled install was for the next Tuesday.  I agree to go ahead and just do the install.  All was fine when he left, had a picture, etc - but no On Demand or Rewind, as that takes 24-48 hours to populate since that comes in via the internet.

2 - On Demand and Rewind has never worked in 6+ weeks.  I've now had 5 Direct TV techs and one AT&T internet technician at my house.  Direct TV says it's an internet thing.  The internet says it's a Direct TV thing. 

3 - Since my internet is AT&T and Direct TV is AT&T, they somehow can't figure out how to combine my billing.  Now I've lost my "bundle" price on the internet.  First month my internet went from the $40 bundle price to $60.  AT&T can't figure out how to combine my accounts since the uVerse was under my wife's name and the Direct TV is under my name.  We tried to get them to transfer the internet to my name and then combine accounts, but it's 2 different systems in the AT&T billing world.  So now the internet has gone up to $75 in month 2. 

4 - When signing up at Costco, I was supposed to get a $200 Costco cash card.  Today, a $100 Visa Debit card shows up. 

I've been escalated to the Office of the President at AT&T for weeks now.  It's getting quite comical, as every part of this process has gone horribly wrong.  I still don't have On Demand/Rewind.  They are completely baffled as to what my issue is.  But at least they've credited me the entire first full month and adding on some movie packages as well. 

If it wasn't for my wife, I'd have cut the cord by now. 

Seems to be the direction they're going. Was hoping it wouldn't change once AT&T took over, but it appears it was only just a matter of time. 

5 hours ago, Bull Dozier said:

Interesting.  When I had issues with DTV about a month ago I was speaking with people with heavy southern accents.  Same communication barrier as I could hardly understand them either.

My communication involved switching to a new address and upgrading the internet. They couldn't do it all at the same time. Called one number for TV. Then they said I would have to call a different for internet.  2 phone calls to get switched over last a total of 1 hr 45mins. Complete opposite of my experience with DTV over the last 8 years. 

1 hour ago, flapgreen said:

My communication involved switching to a new address and upgrading the internet. They couldn't do it all at the same time. Called one number for TV. Then they said I would have to call a different for internet.  2 phone calls to get switched over last a total of 1 hr 45mins. Complete opposite of my experience with DTV over the last 8 years. 

My experience x100. 

Getting my service to work, let alone my billing combined is beyond something AT&T can figure out. 

I'm dealing with the Office of the President now. Their regular customer service outside the United States was beyond worthless  

Only good part is the more I #####, the more $$ they refund. 

Hell, at this point they can't even figure out how to add HBO to my account. Total ineptitude. 

Edited by Fishboy

On 5/17/2019 at 8:40 PM, flapgreen said:

Oh I agree.  I had the same issues, just with people in the states.  Had to switch people multiple times (had an error message on screen, no change to service).  Every time they pass you to a new person you have to reverify your identity and that whole rigamarole.  Definitely not what it used to be.

• Like 1

Got an email today from DirecTV today that said, "Thank you for contacting DIRECTV. We are processing your change of service request."

I called and asked about it, and rep said my account was "upgraded" with some movie pack that is free for 3 months and am I okay with that?  I asked what happened after 3 months and she said I'd be charged monthly for it.  I said I didn't want it and asked how it was added and she said it showed I called two days to add it.  

What is this sketchy bull####?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shuke said:

Got an email today from DirecTV today that said, "Thank you for contacting DIRECTV. We are processing your change of service request."

I called and asked about it, and rep said my account was "upgraded" with some movie pack that is free for 3 months and am I okay with that?  I asked what happened after 3 months and she said I'd be charged monthly for it.  I said I didn't want it and asked how it was added and she said it showed I called two days to add it.  

I have no idea, but it happened to me too.  Pitched a fit and they gave me a discount on HBO (which I did actually already have).  Still not worth it.

I've had DirecTV and ATT cell for years. They've been trying to merge my billing ever since they took over DTV.

This is confirming everything I expected after hearing that AT&T was taking over DirecTV. 

The bizarre thing is how/why their customer service is so consistently awful for so many years.  If you have a customer that's been on the line for 30+ minutes, maybe, just maybe, you should stop ####ing them around, figure out a solution offline and get back to the customer. 

9 hours ago, Mrs. Rannous said:

I have no idea, but it happened to me too.  Pitched a fit and they gave me a discount on HBO (which I did actually already have).  Still not worth it.

This week?

15 hours ago, shuke said:

Haven't had this happen to me with DirecTV yet, but I had it happen to me with Xfinity three times.  The firs two times, I got a bill for triple my monthly bill.  Looked at the detail and home phone had been added and a couple hundred dollars of international calling had been done without my knowledge.  Both times I called and said this wasn't me and I didn't add it and they took it off.  The third time I spent over an hour talking to managers about how this could have been added without my consent and basically accused them of scamming me.  Got a fat discount for a extended period of time.

I'm guessing this is a widespread scam either with the providers knowledge, or tacit consent by not really caring how it is happening.

Let the yearly game begin. I called the movers connection. They advised me my 55.00 credit from last year was ending. There would be a new 12 month agreement to transfer service. No NFL ticket offer, and a movers fee of 199.00.

I waited 4 days and called to cancel tonight. I advised that I was getting absolutly nothing in return for moving my service, other than a new contract and an additional fee. I let them know I was only with them for the Ticket, and I can bundle services with Xfinity and get redzone.

No offer made and they now only cancel at the end of your bill cycle. My service wont be turned off until June 22.

I now await for my win back call. I will post an update.

4 minutes ago, seahawk 17 said:

Let the yearly game begin. I called the movers connection. They advised me my 55.00 credit from last year was ending. There would be a new 12 month agreement to transfer service. No NFL ticket offer, and a movers fee of 199.00.

I waited 4 days and called to cancel tonight. I advised that I was getting absolutly nothing in return for moving my service, other than a new contract and an additional fee. I let them know I was only with them for the Ticket, and I can bundle services with Xfinity and get redzone.

No offer made and they now only cancel at the end of your bill cycle. My service wont be turned off until June 22.

I now await for my win back call. I will post an update.

The article I posted said they were more than happy to let deal seekers like you go. Keep us updated.

3 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

The article I posted said they were more than happy to let deal seekers like you go. Keep us updated.

Just read it. Interesting to see where they draw the line. I am spending an estimated 3700 a year. I have my tv/cell bundled, premiere package, and tons of PPV.

called today, as my promo had fallen off.   i wasn't calling to get the ticket.  part of my call, was actually to ensure that the auto payments for the ticket didn't start up.  so i made sure to cancel it now.  i'm not even going to really push for it this year.  i don't really care. :mellow:  the call was simply to lower my bill.  $136/mo is too much for f'ing tv

talked to one lady, she immediately credited me $50.  she went to look into what other deals she could get me and we were disconnected.  she was really nice.  :( 

called back, got some dude from where i grew up.  he seemed new.  also really nice.  at first, he said there were no promotions showing up for my account.  he put me on hold 3 times to go talk to other people and see what he could do for me.  i was on hold for a long time.  10+ minutes on one of them.  but he came back with $30/mo off for 12 months.  no contract.  with the bonus of the first ladies $50, i got $80 off this months bill.  i'll take it.  i may call about the ticket, but probably not. after 18 years or so,  i'd rather have my sundays.  

:shrug:

Edited by DA RAIDERS

Cut the cord over a year ago. 

Players Club IPTV with all sports packages = $8/mo 💰

Pet Peeves — even before AT&T

DVR software is ancient, slow, clunky, and still worse than TiVo circa 20 years ago.

They manipulate the original air dates so even if you only want to record new programs, it records reruns as well.

More Recent—

They turned off my auto pay resulting in me having to call to pay. Happened twice.

Not looking forward to the discount dance this year.

12 hours ago, Johnny Rock said:

Pet Peeves — even before AT&T

DVR software is ancient, slow, clunky, and still worse than TiVo circa 20 years ago.

Yes.  I ####ing hate it.  Trying to search for some things this week and manage my subscriptions had me close to canceling.  What you said about Tivo is spot on.

On 5/28/2019 at 9:18 PM, [icon] said:

Cut the cord over a year ago. 

Players Club IPTV with all sports packages = $8/mo 💰

Tell me more 

My discounts from last year expire at the end of this month (July).  

Set my cancellation date for 8/1 & will see what happens.  I plan on actually letting the service disconnect & then if they have a great win back offer that includes ST Max I will consider it.  Will let you know how it turns out. Good luck all :thumbup:

• Like 3

On 6/8/2019 at 2:31 PM, flapgreen said:

Tell me more 

1) get fire TV 

2) Select an IPTV provided from Troypoint’s website (I use players klub, and Kodi Solutions for a total of $13/mo but will cancel PK ($8) now that KS ($5) is back online). Follow instructions to install. 

3) Enjoy every channel, sports package, premium channel, and PPV event for $60/year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, [icon] said:

1) get fire TV 

2) Select an IPTV provided from Troypoint’s website (I use players klub, and Kodi Solutions for a total of $13/mo but will cancel PK ($8) now that KS ($5) is back online). Follow instructions to install. 

3) Enjoy every channel, sports package, premium channel, and PPV event for $60/year. 

Really? I may do this.  Sick of doing the dance

Edited by need2know

41 minutes ago, need2know said:

Really? I may do this.  Sick of doing the dance

It’s easy to set it up and test it out while keeping DTV as backup... in case you don’t love it. 

1) occasionally you can hit buffering issues due to your connection or traffic on their end. It varies day to day but for good providers it is rare to very rare. 

2) If you’re a channel surfer, this probably isn’t for you. The ease/speed of changing from channel to channel is not on par with DTV, and even might be a bit cumbersome. 

3) the EPG (TV guide) is pretty good for most channels but isn’t as good as DTV. 

That said... it’s $5/mo.... 

19 minutes ago, [icon] said:

It’s easy to set it up and test it out while keeping DTV as backup... in case you don’t love it. 

1) occasionally you can hit buffering issues due to your connection or traffic on their end. It varies day to day but for good providers it is rare to very rare. 

2) If you’re a channel surfer, this probably isn’t for you. The ease/speed of changing from channel to channel is not on par with DTV, and even might be a bit cumbersome. 

3) the EPG (TV guide) is pretty good for most channels but isn’t as good as DTV. 

That said... it’s $5/mo.... 

No DVR right?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FiredMartz said:

I will do my usual and cancel when I'm on  vacation in August.....and see what they offer this year....

same

On 7/8/2019 at 7:41 PM, need2know said:

No DVR right?

Don't need a DVR if you also install a free app like Cinema HD, which has pretty much every TV show and Movie. Just search what you want to watch and even newest TV episodes are up like a day after they air. Just pick a stream and go. You can save favorite shows and movies for quick navigation.

I have FIOS cable but don't have any premium channels so I pay $8/month for Limitless IPTV. Every live sporting event, PPV, all the movie channels and a ton of channels from around the globe, and I have Cinema HD for movies and TV shows on demand. There's pretty much nothing I can't watch whenever I want.

Edited by Wingnut

On 7/8/2019 at 6:41 PM, need2know said:

No DVR right?

Cinema APK is your DVR. Most any show or move on demand. 

I don’t watch non-live sports so that’s not really a concern. 

Fire TV has a DVR option for all OTA channels. 

So, we are moving at the end of the month.  I've done the "Negotiation Mamba" every year, but wondered if there was any advice for this somewhat unique circumstance.  I'm out of contract and in the last month of credits from last year.

I wouldn't mind a free upgrade to their 4k receiver, even though the channel selection in 4k is sparse at best.  Maybe future-proofing a little?  I've heard about a significant charge to move, even though they advertise to call them and they'll make the process easy.

Anybody have any experience with moving?  Best to cancel and reup or negotiate?

9 minutes ago, Titans_fan said:

So, we are moving at the end of the month.  I've done the "Negotiation Mamba" every year, but wondered if there was any advice for this somewhat unique circumstance.  I'm out of contract and in the last month of credits from last year.

I wouldn't mind a free upgrade to their 4k receiver, even though the channel selection in 4k is sparse at best.  Maybe future-proofing a little?  I've heard about a significant charge to move, even though they advertise to call them and they'll make the process easy.

Anybody have any experience with moving?  Best to cancel and reup or negotiate?

Yeah you can def get some good stuff for moving.  You will have to do a bit of a dance but when I moved I got the ticket, discounts and hardware.  Get it all done in one call

Edited by need2know

Thanks @need2know.  How far in advance did you call?  We're moving on 7/29 and I don't think the new house has a dish.

Just to confirm, you didn't cancel but just called and told them you were moving, correct?  Assuming based on the free stuff, there was no additional fees for the move, correct?

1 hour ago, Titans_fan said:

Thanks @need2know.  How far in advance did you call?  We're moving on 7/29 and I don't think the new house has a dish.

Just to confirm, you didn't cancel but just called and told them you were moving, correct?  Assuming based on the free stuff, there was no additional fees for the move, correct?

Did not cancel no fees and I would call whenever .  You might have to agree to. 2 year contract though

Interesting read in The Athletic from Daniel Kaplan. It confirms that ATT has no idea what to do with DirecTV / SundayTicket.

Anyhow here is the biggest takeaway-

The NFL is at standstill in talks with AT&T over the future of NFL Sunday Ticket on the company’s DirecTV satellite outlet, NFL ownership and other sources said. As a result, they said, the NFL expects to ride out the current deal to its conclusion at the end of the 2020-21 season.

That means consumers of the popular out-of-market package would not get a streaming, cable or other option, as has largely been speculated.

10 hours ago, JaxBill said:

Interesting read in The Athletic from Daniel Kaplan. It confirms that ATT has no idea what to do with DirecTV / SundayTicket.

Anyhow here is the biggest takeaway-

The NFL is at standstill in talks with AT&T over the future of NFL Sunday Ticket on the company’s DirecTV satellite outlet, NFL ownership and other sources said. As a result, they said, the NFL expects to ride out the current deal to its conclusion at the end of the 2020-21 season.

That means consumers of the popular out-of-market package would not get a streaming, cable or other option, as has largely been speculated.

Everyone has smart tv’s / streaming devices. Just make an app, sell direct, and be done with it. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, [icon] said:

Everyone has smart tv’s / streaming devices. Just make an app, sell direct, and be done with it. 

The lack of direction by ATT is appalling. Heck they still can't combine my cellphone and DirecTV bills!?!

• Like 1

ATT and DirectTV are the most inept companies I think I've ever dealt with. 

Similar to @JaxBill they can't combine my internet and DirecTV bill.  Had DirecTV installed a few months ago.  On Demand and the rewind feature has never worked.  I've had at least 8-10 techs out here, multiple online chat sessions.  I'm at whatever the Office of the President support level.  It's been over a month since I've heard from them and they can't offer an explanation.  Granted, they've credited my account quite significantly over the past few months, but it's not worth my time quite frankly to continue to wait on them to figure their own systems out.  

Previously I had ATT uVerse which was flawless.  Only reason I switched is because the rates kept going up and up.  

It’s getting to be that time. I think August begins next time for the call.  Don’t forget to cancel your auto renew for Sunday ticket.  

So I called and cancelled service on my lunch break yesterday and service went out at midnight last night. Have never gone through the actual cancellation before but want to see if I can get a deal. Been following this thread for quite a while and ready to play their game. I guess my question is if I don't receive an email, when should I call to try to get the best deal. Also is the 870-345-3640 the best # to call for this? Thanks for any help!!

4 hours ago, Wiley Coyotes said:

So I called and cancelled service on my lunch break yesterday and service went out at midnight last night. Have never gone through the actual cancellation before but want to see if I can get a deal. Been following this thread for quite a while and ready to play their game. I guess my question is if I don't receive an email, when should I call to try to get the best deal. Also is the 870-345-3640 the best # to call for this? Thanks for any help!!

I'd probably wait until tomorrow to call.

going to cancel today.  my stuff is up at the end of the month

Glad there are a few guinea pugs out there trying this out before I have to do something in a few weeks myself 

:porked: 

Thanks for your service

🇺🇸

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3
  • Like 2

Cant get the wife to give up DirecTV, so my annual song and dance began this week after my monthly bill for  Xtra  and 3 receivers went from $27/month to $91/month. Called 8005315000 (none of the other numbers I tried went through) and got Retentions, but they would not budge much and only offered $15/month off. Set up disconnect date for yesterday. Called the 800 number this morning, asked for the Winback department, and got the same crappy $15/month off offer. Passed on that. Called back 4 hours later, asked for the Winback department again,  and this time I got a guy that would work with me. Was able to keep Xtra at $65/month, plus a $200 Visa card lowering the cost to about $48/month, plus free Sunday Ticket (passed on the free movie channels). Not as good as last year, but if you are persistent (or lucky) you can find someone that will deal.

Mine is up Sep 18 I believe. I will call at end of August to cancel after my Aug 18 bill. I had a smoking deal last year. Got the Xtra package and paid full price for Sunday Ticket and added HBO at full price...but I also received $155 a month for 12 months in credits. My bill for the last few months has been a credit of $11 a month. Would be awesome to get a similar deal but I understand probably not possible. Hoping for free ticket and the typical $65 a month credit deal. 

So I received an email telling me that they already miss me! Going to call them after the kids go to bed. Do you come right out and ask for the gift card? Something to the tune that I know others that receive it, and to stay a customer I would like the gift card as well?

27 minutes ago, Wiley Coyotes said:

So I received an email telling me that they already miss me! Going to call them after the kids go to bed. Do you come right out and ask for the gift card? Something to the tune that I know others that receive it, and to stay a customer I would like the gift card as well?

This is a good sign. Which number did they email you and did they have a new name for the “Winback” program?

See what they offer first. Then get into “my wife likes to watch movies,” for free movie channels.

’Do you like football?” For free Sunday Ticket if you like that.

”Bill is still higher than I want to spend,” to make sure the discounts are all reviewed hard. 

If they don’t bring the gift card up then ask about it last. “One of my buddies mentioned that he got...”