What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (4 Viewers)

Just a reminder to all. Make sure you call to remove the auto renew on the Sunday Ticket. If not, they will charge you for it this year. I learned this the hard way and had to go through the hassle of calling to get rid of it before I called to get the new deal.

Note of caution to people calling in before actually disconnecting (pending disconnect) - I did that one year and was offered the good deals that I wanted to stay - and then the deals never showed up on the bill.  After multiple futile attempts to resolve the situation (and much frustration and wasted time) I ended up cancelling, waiting a week until I got the boxes, and then re-upping with the number that was on the box.  Never got any calls or emails saying they missed me, etc.  :cry:

Ugh. I just checked. My current huge discounts run through September. I'm sure that will knock down any offers i get.

Ugh. I just checked. My current huge discounts run through September. I'm sure that will knock down any offers i get.
Yeah, something seems up.  I got my deal early July last year.  Now my statements are dropping later and later.  I’m waiting on my July bill to drop for August 13 payment (my last cheap one) taking forever. 

Well I tried calling the number above.  I'm in pending disconnect.  No dice.  Offered me the 60 bucks off a month and nothing else.  Looks like I have to wait until august 14 to try again when I'm really disconnected 

My last discounts are good until mid-Sept. I'm going to call after I get billed for that time period and cancel, so probably the last week of August. You now get charged for the entire month but I don't care as I'm running a small credit every month. I will disconnect immediately in hopes to capture a deal including Sunday ticket before week 1. 

Also, I would really like new equipment. Two years ago they screwed everything up when offering me new equipment. They asked if I would like to turn my old equipment on while I wait for the new equipment and that somehow cancelled my new offers. Took many hours of phone calls to get discounts and Sunday ticket they had promised. Never did give me new equipment as promised. My on demand hasn't worked in a couple years. I've not pushed the issue as we don't really use it much anyways but it's annoying because we are paying for it. Maybe new equipment will fix it?

Also, I would really like new equipment. Two years ago they screwed everything up when offering me new equipment. They asked if I would like to turn my old equipment on while I wait for the new equipment and that somehow cancelled my new offers. Took many hours of phone calls to get discounts and Sunday ticket they had promised. Never did give me new equipment as promised. My on demand hasn't worked in a couple years. I've not pushed the issue as we don't really use it much anyways but it's annoying because we are paying for it. Maybe new equipment will fix it?
I really need new equipment too but I don’t want to lock in for two years. My crap is 10 years old.

Question for those with recently new equipment. Is the Guide better? Still slow and clunky? Search still crappy? Software still crappy, like when you pick a specific hockey game on FSN but then have to slowly scroll through 100 games and different matchups on that channel to find the game you want to record? 

Even if I get new equipment I’m keeping one DVR to keep max capacity rather than go to a slave genie. Has the genie been improved since it came out?

Yes it’s still clunky. I went through it to get the 4K channels and was still able to get the deals in here so I’d still try to get it, but ya... the new stuff seems to have the same user experience (read: not good) to me. 

Called last week to make sure auto renew wouldn’t post.  It did overnight bill dropped. Still the cheap amount. 

When I call back I’ll remove it and set cancelation for 8/22 next bill drop date. 

My last discounts are good until mid-Sept. I'm going to call after I get billed for that time period and cancel, so probably the last week of August. You now get charged for the entire month but I don't care as I'm running a small credit every month. I will disconnect immediately in hopes to capture a deal including Sunday ticket before week 1. 
Looks like we are the same. My 9/7 bill is high. Statement drops 8/22. Putting in cancelation date 8/22 in hopes. 

What a mess.  I told them last week to remove ticket. Now it’s on there they can’t take it off. Taking me to an NFL department and they can only credit me back the following month.  I said no. After an hour they are making me wait 72 hours.

My promotion runs out 8/22. So my disconnect date is 8/20

now we wait.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I tried calling the number above.  I'm in pending disconnect.  No dice.  Offered me the 60 bucks off a month and nothing else.  Looks like I have to wait until august 14 to try again when I'm really disconnected 
See what I don’t understand is the dates. 

My monthly charges from 7/22-8/21 bill is $27.10

promos run out 8/22. My cancelation date is 8/20.  Does that day need to be 8/22 or 8/23 or can it be whenever I want now to try and get winback

I just got tired of the wrasslin' and just took the $77/monthly off for the tv/internet.  And after the 6 free months of HBO I even starting paying full price for that. 

I am the directv gimp around here.  I called today to verify when the 12 month $60 discount was being dropped.  They told me it was Aug. 14 and I told them to please schedule me for service cancellation on the 15th. 

They sent me to the group now called "Loyalty" - the lady was nice and immediately wanted to talk about how to reduce my programming in order to reduce my bill.  I told her I wasn't interested in reducing the level of service in order to save money.  She offered no discounts and scheduled my disconnect.  

When she did the run-through of what she "had done for me" she said she offered and I was not interested in any savings offerings, etc, etc.  I told her - just for clarification, that she didn't offer any discounts, just lower programming packages.  She said all she had was $15 off.  Oh, and my 50mg internet will go from $40/mo to $60/mo.  

LOL - looks like just as last time, I'll have to go through the full cancellation of the service before even getting back to where I am today.  Maybe, I'll pull the free hbo and $200 GC this time around as well.  

Gottabesweet said:
What a mess.  I told them last week to remove ticket. Now it’s on there they can’t take it off. Taking me to an NFL department and they can only credit me back the following month.  I said no. After an hour they are making me wait 72 hours.

My promotion runs out 8/22. So my disconnect date is 8/20

now we wait.  
If anyone else still needs to take off auto-renew, heads up this is something they can handle in chat on the website. 

If anyone else still needs to take off auto-renew, heads up this is something they can handle in chat on the website. 
Tried that on the chat. Then called to confirm.  Then poof a week later they messed it up and it was on the bill and it’s a process now to get it off.  They try crediting the next month it but not this month. I said but I’m canceling after this month. 

Got an email confirming my 8/20 disconnect.  My promotions run out 8/22.  I’ll try calling Monday and say I got an email about trying to keep my promotion.  If they offer nothing I’ll call back and move my cancel date to 8/23. 

Getting absolutely no where so far this year.  Pending disconnect 8/20 so the first higher bill doesn’t generate 8/22

Tried calling a few winback numbers and they had me on hold before asking for my number for a do not call list then hang up on me.  Finally got a winback # from a rep and it ended up being the “re connect team” they are unable to see any offers on my account because it’s still active. 

I have $112 worth of credits on my account.  Do I keep the 8/20 date as I already paid for service 7/22-8/21  (8/7 debit) or do I move the 8/20 date to 8/23 as my credits fall off 8/22 but then I’ll have a huge bill.  

Getting absolutely no where so far this year.  Pending disconnect 8/20 so the first higher bill doesn’t generate 8/22

Tried calling a few winback numbers and they had me on hold before asking for my number for a do not call list then hang up on me.  Finally got a winback # from a rep and it ended up being the “re connect team” they are unable to see any offers on my account because it’s still active. 

I have $112 worth of credits on my account.  Do I keep the 8/20 date as I already paid for service 7/22-8/21  (8/7 debit) or do I move the 8/20 date to 8/23 as my credits fall off 8/22 but then I’ll have a huge bill.  
If you are billed I believe you have to pay the full month. I plan to disconnect a couple weeks before my last bill period is over then wait a day or two and hope for the good offers.

Do you remember what number you called for the re-connect team? My disconnect went through last night.

Do you remember what number you called for the re-connect team? My disconnect went through last night.
Called this morning to see if there were any promotions to re-connect. Nothing! Set up Dish to be installed on Friday. Nfl Network and Redzone are included for the first year.

Called this morning to see if there were any promotions to re-connect. Nothing! Set up Dish to be installed on Friday. Nfl Network and Redzone are included for the first year.
Weren’t your promotions still in place? You set up a disconnect but when did the credits run off?

Try 870-345-3640

i have a bunch 

855-291-0398

855-263-4160

978-890-3027

888-333-0804

Weren’t your promotions still in place? You set up a disconnect but when did the credits run off?

Try 870-345-3640

i have a bunch 

855-291-0398

855-263-4160

978-890-3027

888-333-0804
My promotions run out on 8/6. I currently have a $130 credit on my account. I haven't paid anything since February. I'll call them in a couple days and let them know I'm scheduled to have Dish installed on Friday. If they can't offer me new equipment and a great deal, I'm out.

Got an email, every time I try calling the direct tv response team it kicks me off (855-267-4160) saying to input my number to be on a do not call list. Then hangs up on me after two minutes. I’m hoping they are closed.

its been chaos being transferred around departments nobody seems to be taking claim of my account.  DTV says ATT has it and Vice versa. Such a mess. I’m afraid this year might be the hardest yet.  One system shows me as pending disconnect but the other active, nobody knows anything . 

Apparently I’m with AT&T now and DTV normal team can’t do anything.  So now I called 800-288-2020 ATT side and being transferred to their loyalty team. SMH. They show ZERO offers as I already have great credits on my account $65 and $47 expire 8/22. They couldn’t give me an answer if deals will be there when I disconnect 8/20 or if more appear 8/23

My discounts ($100/month) run out in late Sept.  I pay $27/month and did get free NST Max last year.  I have resigned myself to just cancelling and going with the RZC on my Fioptics account.  I kept Directv for another year for the NFLST Max last year.  

notoriousbill said:
My discounts ($100/month) run out in late Sept.  I pay $27/month and did get free NST Max last year.  I have resigned myself to just cancelling and going with the RZC on my Fioptics account.  I kept Directv for another year for the NFLST Max last year.  
Same boat.  I pay $27 a month and on 8/22 the next bill drops. I haven’t been able to negotiate anything. I’m hoping on 8/20 when I disconnect the deals populate. 

Moved my cancelation date up to Friday instead of when the credits fall off 8/22. I’m already in my last bill cycle anyways.  

Was told it doesn’t matter.  They anticipate being able to get me down to $60 ish with new customer perks once fully canceled.  Not the $27.10 but it’ll do if they can make it happen. 

Will follow up SAT. 

This has probably been answered somewhere in here before, but I'm too lazy to go looking:

How do you find out when your credits disappear and your contract ends?

I've looked all over my account on the website and can't find it.

I'm currently paying $8.75 a month, but I know that is going to end sooner rather than later.   I need to get ahead of this.

TIA

This has probably been answered somewhere in here before, but I'm too lazy to go looking:

How do you find out when your credits disappear and your contract ends?

I've looked all over my account on the website and can't find it.

I'm currently paying $8.75 a month, but I know that is going to end sooner rather than later.   I need to get ahead of this.

TIA
Your bill should indicate "Month X of Y" beside each credit or discount.

It really ticks me off that AT&T bought what used to be a great company and has completely trashed it. Even the website is horrible now.  I just received an offer from Dish for a $300 gift card, free installation, the sports package with redzone for 1 year, and 3 months movie channels to switch and I'm strongly considering it.

Called and scheduled my cancellation for tonight after the best offer was $20/month off.  When I told the rep my two reasons were cost and the CBS issue, she suggested an antenna for CBS. I told her that wouldn't work where I live and her response was "Oh.  Well, I got so frustrated, I cancelled Directv and only use an antenna now. It's great."

I'll wait a couple days and see if I get a good winback offer. If not, combining Comcast with my internet/phone will save me $60-70 per month.

I had my August bill emailed to me over the weekend and it went from $55 to $159. I set up cancellation for the end of my bill cycle (7-31). Woke up today with an email notice that the account was disconnected. 

No retention call from anyone this year. I’ll try calling one of @Gottabesweet ‘s numbers, but if they don’t do anything, I’m going to Fios with just the Redzone. 

I had my August bill emailed to me over the weekend and it went from $55 to $159. I set up cancellation for the end of my bill cycle (7-31). Woke up today with an email notice that the account was disconnected. 

No retention call from anyone this year. I’ll try calling one of @Gottabesweet ‘s numbers, but if they don’t do anything, I’m going to Fios with just the Redzone. 
I have Fios internet. I’m curious if lumped what they can do but if it’s the same this year I’ll likely stick with the yearly DTV hassle.  

Yeah I'm not sure what to do. I have 2 months left of super discounts totaling 115 a month. Since hockey regular season ended I've only been paying 40 bucks total monthly. 

Current monthly bill ends 8/3.

My options are-

Do nothing but call 2 months from now. My discounts would be running out. But I would have paid 2 months for ST Max and unable to cancel ST Max. 

Or call now. I'd probably have to cancel completely and negotiate from zero. 

Complicating matters is I have older receivers and would listen to 1 year contract if I could get a genie.

It really ticks me off that AT&T bought what used to be a great company and has completely trashed it. Even the website is horrible now.  I just received an offer from Dish for a $300 gift card, free installation, the sports package with redzone for 1 year, and 3 months movie channels to switch and I'm strongly considering it.
Did you get that via email?  I'd love to get the same offer.

Moved my cancelation date up to Friday instead of when the credits fall off 8/22. I’m already in my last bill cycle anyways.  

Was told it doesn’t matter.  They anticipate being able to get me down to $60 ish with new customer perks once fully canceled.  Not the $27.10 but it’ll do if they can make it happen. 

Will follow up SAT. 
So when you called to schedule cancellation, what number did you call and what exactly to did tell them.  I've tried in past to "schedule" cancellation and they said I had to call the day of.  I know this is BS...

My discounts end on 9/22, so I was planning on calling on 8/20 to cancel effective 9/22.

notoriousbill said:
So when you called to schedule cancellation, what number did you call and what exactly to did tell them.  I've tried in past to "schedule" cancellation and they said I had to call the day of.  I know this is BS...

My discounts end on 9/22, so I was planning on calling on 8/20 to cancel effective 9/22.
Call regular customer service on 8/20 and set up any time between 8/21 and 9/22 it doesn’t matter they don’t prorate anymore. 

My last cheap bill is taken out 8/9 and I get service until 8/21 (7/22-8/21 was my bill)

I moved my DC date up to Friday and plan on calling Sunday in full disconnect status.  The pending disconnect didn’t do anything. I had it for 8/20 the day prior and no win back or loyalty department had offers. 

Just had the worst experience ever with DTV customer service, and that is really saying something. Last summer I called and set up a disconnect date while we were away on vacation. Waited for the service to be disconnected and then called in and said I had received the win-back offer. I agreed to a new 2 year contract and was told that I would receive a guaranteed rate of $132 per month for Premier all included programming for 2 years. Each bill over the past year has stated that I was receiving 2 year savings of $55 per month off of Premier all included and each monthly bill indicated which month of savings we were in (1 of 12, 2 of 12, etc.). Most recent bill in July was month 12 of 12 and it still stated that we were receiving 2 years of savings and that months 13 - 24 would be applied. I call today to have Sunday Ticket Max removed, that goes through no problem and the agent offers me discounts on movie channels and sports pack. Great. After the new discounts are applied she quotes a new monthly amount which indicates that we are no longer receiving the 2 year savings on Premier all included. I question her and she says that the discount must have fallen off for some reason so she investigates. Comes back and says she can't do anything because the discount was given last year by the win-back dept., I have to talk to them. I call them directly and they give me the excuse that they don't give out discounts for more than a year at a time. Many minutes spent arguing with them and they say that the discount must have been given by the loyalty dept., maybe they can fix it. Get transferred to loyalty and the same story from them. They don't give discounts that last more than a year. An hour after this all started I'm reaming the guy out for all of their lies and I'll make plans to disconnect again. Unbelievable how bad they have gotten the last couple of years. Probably heading to FIOS.

JaxBill said:
Yeah I'm not sure what to do. I have 2 months left of super discounts totaling 115 a month. Since hockey regular season ended I've only been paying 40 bucks total monthly. 

Current monthly bill ends 8/3.

My options are-

Do nothing but call 2 months from now. My discounts would be running out. But I would have paid 2 months for ST Max and unable to cancel ST Max. 

Or call now. I'd probably have to cancel completely and negotiate from zero. 

Complicating matters is I have older receivers and would listen to 1 year contract if I could get a genie.
I just called to disconnect and they did zero to try to keep me. Disconnect scheduled for the 4th.

facook said:
Did you get that via email?  I'd love to get the same offer.
Via snail mail but on their website right now, you can get the same thing except it's only a $100 gift card. Sports pack with redzone, NFL, MLB and NHL networks is part of any package over $70

Via snail mail but on their website right now, you can get the same thing except it's only a $100 gift card. Sports pack with redzone, NFL, MLB and NHL networks is part of any package over $70
Thanks.  Actually got a mail ad for this deal as well ($100 gift card if tv only, $200 if tv and internet).

I stopped getting bills emailed to me after March and surprise, my bill just happened to go up $40 a month in April.  Somehow an email I haven't used in over 5 years, an email that isn't even valid, was placed on the account at that time. I'm canceling.  Sick of this ####. 

I stopped getting bills emailed to me after March and surprise, my bill just happened to go up $40 a month in April.  Somehow an email I haven't used in over 5 years, an email that isn't even valid, was placed on the account at that time. I'm canceling.  Sick of this ####. 
After digging around my account, I found the option to view/print my bill - the breakout no longer shows the end date of the 12 month discount like it used to.  I had to call to find out when it was dropping.  

Just had the worst experience ever with DTV customer service, and that is really saying something. Last summer I called and set up a disconnect date while we were away on vacation. Waited for the service to be disconnected and then called in and said I had received the win-back offer. I agreed to a new 2 year contract and was told that I would receive a guaranteed rate of $132 per month for Premier all included programming for 2 years. Each bill over the past year has stated that I was receiving 2 year savings of $55 per month off of Premier all included and each monthly bill indicated which month of savings we were in (1 of 12, 2 of 12, etc.). Most recent bill in July was month 12 of 12 and it still stated that we were receiving 2 years of savings and that months 13 - 24 would be applied. I call today to have Sunday Ticket Max removed, that goes through no problem and the agent offers me discounts on movie channels and sports pack. Great. After the new discounts are applied she quotes a new monthly amount which indicates that we are no longer receiving the 2 year savings on Premier all included. I question her and she says that the discount must have fallen off for some reason so she investigates. Comes back and says she can't do anything because the discount was given last year by the win-back dept., I have to talk to them. I call them directly and they give me the excuse that they don't give out discounts for more than a year at a time. Many minutes spent arguing with them and they say that the discount must have been given by the loyalty dept., maybe they can fix it. Get transferred to loyalty and the same story from them. They don't give discounts that last more than a year. An hour after this all started I'm reaming the guy out for all of their lies and I'll make plans to disconnect again. Unbelievable how bad they have gotten the last couple of years. Probably heading to FIOS.
It seems this year more than any, and that's saying something that the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.  I've been bounced around between department and nobody has a clue what's going on.

It amazes me that 90% of the world doesn't try to play the yearly game like we do.  A DTV add came up on Facebook because they stalk my life and I was reading through the comment and people are mad at only being offered a $10 one time credit discount so left.

I'm hoping the FULL disconnect brings up some offers.

My disconnect went through overnight.  I'll see later if any offers come up.  If not, I'll go with Comcast which will save me about $50/mo. even though I hate them. The only real drawback will be that DTV is going to carry the ACC Network and Comcast isn't.

My disconnect went through overnight.  I'll see later if any offers come up.  If not, I'll go with Comcast which will save me about $50/mo. even though I hate them. The only real drawback will be that DTV is going to carry the ACC Network and Comcast isn't.
Great, thanks!  - I got an email right away with my pending disconnect, called it no offers.  So hoping that this method works.  Give it 24 hours even with no email you can call the number anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread