What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (2 Viewers)

Just called 870-345-3640 and they said there was a “roadblock” preventing them from helping me. They gave me another number to call...
I called 855 282 8566 and spoke with someone not much more educated than my dog. They did offer me new equipment (which I don’t need) and the Sunday Ticket for free, but asked for a 24 month agreement. I said no before we even got to prices. 

I could tell I wasn’t going to get to where I wanted to go with him, so I will have to call again later. 

I called 855 282 8566 and spoke with someone not much more educated than my dog. They did offer me new equipment (which I don’t need) and the Sunday Ticket for free, but asked for a 24 month agreement. I said no before we even got to prices. 

I could tell I wasn’t going to get to where I wanted to go with him, so I will have to call again later. 
Any reduction in monthly price offered?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yikes, never had to sign a contract before, normally it's a year no commitment type thing.

Seems like there's dozens of different numbers this year and you got to get to the AT&T winback team not the AT&T loyalty team.  

DTV - Winback is different from regular customer service and loyalty - same with AT&T

Called to set up disconnect.  They offered to lower me from the Xtra package to the choice package and $30 off my bill.  Would only be $15 MORE than I'm paying now.  Told them for like $55 I can get Hulu with a DVR package.  They needed to get closer to that.  They set up the disconnect date for 8/3 the end of my billing cycle. My wife is going to be pissed as she likes DTV.  I'm going to convince her to give Hulu a try for a month or so. We can always go back to DTV as a new customer later. 

We were heading that way, but the conversation was so difficult and uncomfortable that I had to hang up. 
For kicks, not sure if you have time try again just to see if you get a different person.  Try the 888-333-0804 number.  I always say "I need to talk to my wife" and hang up if I get someone that doesn't seem intelligent or interested in helping.

I originally tried the 870-345 -3640 from last year, and then that didn't work - the number in my email was 855-267-4160 but they couldn't do anything and told me to call 888-333-0804 after cancelation and they "think they should be able to get me around $60 a month and the new customer deals" didn't mention contract or not.

I don’t mind the contract issue as other than DTV I have no other options other than streaming (I live in BFE) and the wife and kids aren’t on board with that option.

All I’m interested in is keeping my Premier package for $65/month and perhaps getting ST for free if I reup 

I don’t mind the contract issue as other than DTV I have no other options other than streaming (I live in BFE) and the wife and kids aren’t on board with that option.

All I’m interested in is keeping my Premier package for $65/month and perhaps getting ST for free if I reup 
What were you currently paying?  I'm paying $27.10 a month some how.  I'd be ok with the $65 month range for XTRA (1 main whole house DVR, and 2 mini's) as long as they include STM and a GC or something.  I'd prefer only a 1 year contract or something as if it's two years and I'm locked in at that price I won't get STM next year.

What were you currently paying?  I'm paying $27.10 a month some how.  I'd be ok with the $65 month range for XTRA (1 main whole house DVR, and 2 mini's) as long as they include STM and a GC or something.  I'd prefer only a 1 year contract or something as if it's two years and I'm locked in at that price I won't get STM next year.
I pay $65 for Premier (all 330 channels) and get HBO Free through my SiriusXM sub. Haven’t had ST in this 2nd year and it didn’t really matter. I can stream games I want to watch. Just really want to keep my price and package the same going forward 

My credits go off next week.

Same as me, your account has been transferred to AT&T - Is it a number like...888-333-0804 or 855-267-4160?
During my ordeal yesterday I was told that the 888-333-0804 number is for the winback dept., so that seems like the logical number to call once someone is disconnected.

I was also offered 25% off Sunday Ticket yesterday without even asking for a discount, so that should be the least that someone can get without even setting up a disconnect date.

Yikes, never had to sign a contract before, normally it's a year no commitment type thing.

Seems like there's dozens of different numbers this year and you got to get to the AT&T winback team not the AT&T loyalty team.  

DTV - Winback is different from regular customer service and loyalty - same with AT&T
new hardware always requires a 2 year contract

They have always made you sign a 2 yr contract when getting new equipment.
What equipment is out there that people want or they trying to push?

I have a whole house DVR/Genie that always hovers around 50% space left so don’t really need a new one.  It is annoying to delete old episodes that tape but oh well.  

What equipment is out there that people want or they trying to push?

I have a whole house DVR/Genie that always hovers around 50% space left so don’t really need a new one.  It is annoying to delete old episodes that tape but oh well.  
The wireless receiver would be nice, but I don't think it's worth going for the 2-yr. contract.

It will be interesting to hear what happens with those who disconnect because according to the DTV website all new customers must agree to a 2 year contract, even though the discounted rates they provide to new customers are only guaranteed for 1 year.

During my ordeal yesterday I was told that the 888-333-0804 number is for the winback dept., so that seems like the logical number to call once someone is disconnected.

I was also offered 25% off Sunday Ticket yesterday without even asking for a discount, so that should be the least that someone can get without even setting up a disconnect date.
Yep, this is the number to call. 

I got my previous package (Extra) for $42 (with 3 receivers, DVR and HD it comes to $72) 12 month promotional rate with a 12 month agreement  (Not 24, so I can get ST Max again next year).

The promotion was free Sunday Ticket Max, $200 Visa Gift Card and all movie channels for 3 months. 

I might have been able to squeez a little more, but I lost patience. 

Thanks for your help!

I got my previous package (Extra) for $42 (with 3 receivers, DVR and HD it comes to $72) 12 month promotional rate with a 12 month agreement  (Not 24, so I can get ST Max again next year).

The promotion was free Sunday Ticket Max, $200 Visa Gift Card and all movie channels for 3 months. 

Thanks for your help!
So $30 more a month your paying $72 now or $42?

either way good job. $72 seems about right.   

Thanks for your help!
Excellent! I'll give it a try (and hope they can resolve the CBS issue soon).

So $30 more a month your paying $72 now or $42?

either way good job. $72 seems about right.   
About $10 more. The $42 is for the package. It’s $72 because of the equipment, DVR and HD. Last year it was around $30 plus the equipment etc. 

Also, I don’t think I got the gift card last year, which breaks down to $16.66 per month. 

I’m happy. 

Thanks for your help!
I will take this same deal. Want to make the call for me end of month? 🙂

I'm talking to them right now.  My disconnect is tonight at midnight apparently.  Was originally told it was august 14th. I'm calling that number tomorrow 

roarlions said:

I was also offered 25% off Sunday Ticket yesterday without even asking for a discount, so that should be the least that someone can get without even setting up a disconnect date.
That did it. You're all right for a PSU fan.

One year contract for Choice Package with 4 tvs. Was going to be $129/mo. on my old contract.  Now, $74.39 with free HBO for a year, Starz/Showtime/Cinemax/Epix free for 3 months and $200 gift card. Didn't really care about ST, so I didn't try to squeeze that. Oh, and my early termination fee was waived.

I have discounts on my account that don't end until late October, so I ended up calling and cancelling today. I don't want to risk it being during the season and having to sort this out. I've always waited until the last billing cycle of discounts, etc. in years past, but due to screw ups and things, my discounts got pushed back. Didn't see a better path forward. 

Retentions put me on hold for a bit and tried to get a deal on ST, but they couldn't find anything. They could add a $60 loyalty discount, but that's hardly anything. I've been without CBS for a month, so I guess that's what caused that to pop up. 

Will wait until the service disconnects and then see if I can still get a winback deal. 

Ok so just want to make sure I have it right. Set it up to cancel. Once they disconnect and you have no signal, call the winback number and see if you get a deal, hopefully we stop here. If not, then box your crap up and move on to next solution. Anyone fail with the win back number yet?

Ok so just want to make sure I have it right. Set it up to cancel. Once they disconnect and you have no signal, call the winback number and see if you get a deal, hopefully we stop here. If not, then box your crap up and move on to next solution. Anyone fail with the win back number yet?
I have never boxed up my equipment. If you don't get a deal immediately after disconnect, wait 24 hours and call back. 

It’s been 10 hours for me assuming my TV went out at midnight.  Not sure when to call. 
Mine was scheduled to turn off at midnight, but they didn't get around to it until about 6:00 am.  I called about 5:30 pm after work.  As long as the cutoff has worked its way through the system, you should be good.  I was on the phone with some guy from India who kept saying "don't worry, I will get you a great deal" for about an hour, so don't call unless you have some time to spare. 

Mine was scheduled to turn off at midnight, but they didn't get around to it until about 6:00 am.  I called about 5:30 pm after work.  As long as the cutoff has worked its way through the system, you should be good.  I was on the phone with some guy from India who kept saying "don't worry, I will get you a great deal" for about an hour, so don't call unless you have some time to spare. 
Ok sounds good. I’ll call on lunch. 

Alright, I am able to report back. 

Called and cancelled yesterday. I ensured the cancellation was successful and called 888-333-0804 this morning. So, we are talking being disconnected for a few hours. 

Here's a few notes:

-I previously had credits that ran until the end of October. Playing the pending disconnection game wasn't really any option. 

-The winback process is much slower than it used to be. As well, I had to keep asking for things to be added. There's probably room for more negotiation here than there used to be. 

-Had to deal with a credit check. 

-Order summary emails won't necessarily be correct when re-connecting. Auto-pay discounts and contract terms will likely be off, for example. 

-I've had to fully cancel before, but I was still grandfathered under my same package when I came back. However, this time they completely moved me over to the new package. This could be a benefit, I suppose, in same cases.  

Under a 1 year contract, I was offered Xtra for $55 with ST Max and HBO included for 12 months. $200 gc and all the premium movie channels were tossed in for 3 months, as well. This is the most I've had to pay per month under AT&T, but considering I've paid basically nothing before, I'm not going to complain.

This deal lines up pretty close to last year, which also had me paying more than year's past. For reference, I was at Xtra for $35 a month with the $200 gc, no contract. However, I couldn't get ST added in and had to pay for that minus 25% off. Considering my cost of ST and that they added in HBO, they were able to have a decent argument about this being a good offer.  

Could it be the offers just aren't as good? Not sure. Maybe others will fair better. I hadn't seen enough posted yet this year to get a sense what I should be looking for. 

If I had to guess, they are looking at what you were previously paying per month (Having to pay for ST last year made my average bill higher) and adding a certain percentage to it, or maybe it's a lot simpler than that and they just line things up more with general new customer pricing (Xtra runs $55 a month for new customers in their first year). In year's past, the deals seemed more on a template. This took me about an hour to do, not the usually quick phone call, so something slowed it down. 

Alright, I am able to report back. 

Called and cancelled yesterday. I ensured the cancellation was successful and called 888-333-0804 this morning. So, we are talking being disconnected for a few hours. 

Here's a few notes:

-I previously had credits that ran until the end of October. Playing the pending disconnection game wasn't really any option. 

-The winback process is much slower than it used to be. As well, I had to keep asking for things to be added. There's probably room for more negotiation here than there used to be. 

-Had to deal with a credit check. 

-Order summary emails won't necessarily be correct when re-connecting. Auto-pay discounts and contract terms will likely be off, for example. 

-I've had to fully cancel before, but I was still grandfathered under my same package when I came back. However, this time they completely moved me over to the new package. This could be a benefit, I suppose, in same cases.  

Under a 1 year contract, I was offered Xtra for $55 with ST Max and HBO included for 12 months. $200 gc and all the premium movie channels were tossed in for 3 months, as well. This is the most I've had to pay per month under AT&T, but considering I've paid basically nothing before, I'm not going to complain.

This deal lines up pretty close to last year, which also had me paying more than year's past. For reference, I was at Xtra for $35 a month with the $200 gc, no contract. However, I couldn't get ST added in and had to pay for that minus 25% off. Considering my cost of ST and that they added in HBO, they were able to have a decent argument about this being a good offer.  

Could it be the offers just aren't as good? Not sure. Maybe others will fair better. I hadn't seen enough posted yet this year to get a sense what I should be looking for. 

If I had to guess, they are looking at what you were previously paying per month (Having to pay for ST last year made my average bill higher) and adding a certain percentage to it, or maybe it's a lot simpler than that and they just line things up more with general new customer pricing (Xtra runs $55 a month for new customers in their first year). In year's past, the deals seemed more on a template. This took me about an hour to do, not the usually quick phone call, so something slowed it down. 
Great deal!!!

6 minute wait time. I’m calling now. Normally goes right through.  Been 20 minutes so far. 

It’s a process.  Slowly getting somewhere. 1.5 hours. 

$72.49 plus tax. (3 boxes, Xtra) paid $27.10 last year.  

$200 GC

Sunday Ticket Max (non auto renew),  

HBO for 12 months, 3 months of other movie channels. (Will have to remove, couldn’t decline the three months without declining the HBO unfortunately  

12 month commitment.

$25.00 one time credit because he quoted me for one less box first. Tried for more credits but wouldn’t budge. 

Also trying to get back the $48.99 auto renew for STM month 1 that I told them ahead of time to remove. Got that off next bill but nothing else  

Goes up to $132.49 next year.  

Now we wait to see if it’s applied correctly. SMDH 

Pretty much.  This is what I do and I'm pretty sure others. 

Call and say cancel me as of (last day of cycle I'm on).  Don't waste your time with their offers at this point, just be friendly and say bye.

Call winback number before my cancellation date and say hey I got an email about offers to come back with a special deal.  One of 2 things will happen (seems random I don't know), they'll either say ok here is the promotion and start offering you the stuff you see in this thread...... OR they will say looks like you aren't disconnected yet so I can only offer you XYZ.

If #2 happens, do not make any deal, I wait for service to expire and call back winback number again.  At this point they have ALWAYS offered both Sunday ticket and massive discounts.  I suggest you repeat back all the credits and Sunday ticket max offer and have them quote a price and then throw in at the end "I also heard you are doing gift cards for this promotion, am I eligible for that?"  They might take it on also.  If anything doesn't go as described (it almost always goes smoothly) just hang up the phone and call back and talk to someone else.  You will get a good offer even if it's $10 less in discounts than someone else posted or something like that it, it will still be worth your while.  They will want you to sign a 12 month contract or something, that's fine.  You essentially will do the same thing again in a year.

Last year was really weird for me.

I called and canceled in late July. As usual, somebody from retention called the next day. They offered various deals, but none of them included complimentary Sunday Ticket, so I didn't turn my account back on.

I received my boxes to return the equipment, but a few weeks later I got another bill — it turns out they never actually turned my account off. So they canceled it again, erased all charges back to the day I originally canceled, then said they'd send out boxes for returning the equipment. (I already had boxes, of course, from when I originally canceled. Even though they never actually canceled my account. Weird.)

Some time passes. One day in late September/early October — I can't remember when, exactly; I just know that I went several weeks with no service — someone from DirecTV calls. They offer $75 off a month for Choice — making my bill about $35 — along with complimentary Sunday Ticket. Perhaps enough time had passed to make me a "new" customer?

Anyway. I called and canceled this morning. I'll post updates when/if I hear from DirecTV.

I cancelled in April because we moved and can't have a dish anymore. They said they'd send boxes for the equipment, no problem. Mid May, I get an email telling me i better send the equipment back or I'll get charged. Called them and told them I never received the boxes that maybe they went to the old address. The woman told me they would send new ones that would arrive in a week.......

August 2nd and no boxes plus I sti4ll have my receiver hooked up and we are watching programs we still have recorded. It's looking like I have a receiver and a mini genie that are mine now........lol

That place is a ####show now

I Called 888-333-0804... DO NOT USE....I wasted 45 minutes on hold and talked to three different people.....I keep asking for the Loyalty Dept. and finally got to them....they had a hard time finding my account that I cancelled....and said my bill was usually $ 138 per month...I said are you high?...they are very confused...they offered me  $ 5 a month off...thats it !!!...I said no thanks...then I called 855-267-4160...THIS IS THE ONE TO USE...I talked to a kid named Justin....and he could not find my old account...even with the account number !!!!!..
I'm curious what the difference between the two numbers is. 

I got an email saying to call 855-267-4160 but called 888-333-0804 based on feedback being offered here. 

I'm curious what the difference between the two numbers is. 

I got an email saying to call 855-267-4160 but called 888-333-0804 based on feedback being offered here. 
The 888 number is the win-back department and the 855 number is the loyalty department. Win-back should have the best deals for those who disconnect while loyalty should have deals for those still connected. But given the disaster that is DTV customer service at this point, the results could vary for each person. 

I was supposed to have service cut off at midnight last night. Cancellation email received at 4 am eastern.  Still have signal. Do I wait till signal shuts off?

I set my cancellation up at end of this billing cycle 8/21.    They said I will receive an email to take equipment to UPS Store to return.  

I guess we will see what happens....

I was pretty discouraged after reading the last two pages of this thread and decided to check my account and call DirecTV.  Ellie answers the phone at 800-531-5000 and asks how she can help me.  I tell her that I'm just wanting to check out my account.  Said I wanted to know how much Sunday Ticket is this year and she puts me on hold for a couple minutes.  She comes back on and tells me they are giving me Sunday Ticket for free.  I'm in shock at this point and mumble something about Sunday Ticket Max and she tells me that would be sixty some odd dollars for six months.  I argue that their website says the upgrade is $20.00 for six months.  She agrees and I agree to give them the $20 a month for STMax.  We agree to Sunday Ticket for free and Max for $20 and end the call.

No idea if they follow through on their end but I feel like I got pretty lucky. 

:shrug:

Edited to add:  Checked my account after about ten minutes.  There are two "Charges" for NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX 2019 HD.  One is for  $65.99 and the other is for $0.00 .  (At his point I'm thinking day one of the NFL season is either going to be really good or really bad. )

Edited to add again:  The two charges were bugging me so I called them back.  New agent said I currently don't have any promotions available and that I was going to be charged the $65.99 for six months.  I might have blacked out at this point in a cuss filled rant.  She tried to tell me they didn't know who the agent was I talked to.  Called them on their bull crap.  Told her it wasn't hard for them to know exactly who charged the account and that I knew they recorded each and every call.  Was told my "issue" was being sent to the escalation department for an investigation and that I should hear something in 3-5 days.  Too good to be true !!   I'll update in a few days when I haven't heard anything. 😡

I was pretty discouraged after reading the last two pages of this thread and decided to check my account and call DirecTV.  Ellie answers the phone at 800-531-5000 and asks how she can help me.  I tell her that I'm just wanting to check out my account.  Said I wanted to know how much Sunday Ticket is this year and she puts me on hold for a couple minutes.  She comes back on and tells me they are giving me Sunday Ticket for free.  I'm in shock at this point and mumble something about Sunday Ticket Max and she tells me that would be sixty some odd dollars for six months.  I argue that their website says the upgrade is $20.00 for six months.  She agrees and I agree to give them the $20 a month for STMax.  We agree to Sunday Ticket for free and Max for $20 and end the call.

No idea if they follow through on their end but I feel like I got pretty lucky. 

:shrug:

Edited to add:  Checked my account after about ten minutes.  There are two "Charges" for NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX 2019 HD.  One is for  $65.99 and the other is for $0.00 .  (At his point I'm thinking day one of the NFL season is either going to be really good or really bad. )

Edited to add again:  The two charges were bugging me so I called them back.  New agent said I currently don't have any promotions available and that I was going to be charged the $65.99 for six months.  I might have blacked out at this point in a cuss filled rant.  She tried to tell me they didn't know who the agent was I talked to.  Called them on their bull crap.  Told her it wasn't hard for them to know exactly who charged the account and that I knew they recorded each and every call.  Was told my "issue" was being sent to the escalation department for an investigation and that I should hear something in 3-5 days.  Too good to be true !!   I'll update in a few days when I haven't heard anything. 😡
Last year, albiet I got a great deal, but honestly the hoops you have to ju,p through are ridiculous.  I must have spent hours on the phone with every different department at Directv.  I just dont want ot go through all of that again.  I set up my cancellation and waiut for them to call me with their offers and decide then.  Otherwise I will just get Fioptics through my local provider with the RZC.

Users who are viewing this thread