Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
oukurt

Can you negotiate with DirecTV?

Calling shortly to setup a Directv disconnect.  Been looking at YoutubeTV as a streaming option, but I was hesitant as they didn't have NHL Network, and I need me some World Juniors over the Christmas/New Years holidays. 

PS Vue just added it a couple of days ago, and after looking at their offerings, I think that will be a great match for our family.  Plus 3 of the 4 local stations (ABC, NBC, and Fox) have been off the air here for almost a year, and PS Vue has them all.  

If they can match the $54.99/mo for the PS Vue Core package for DTV service and equipment,  I might consider staying,  but the local channel thing really bugs me, as I've missed several Yankee games this season that were broadcast on the local station instead of YES.  If not, no biggie.  Doubt it will happen, since we have 4 TVs with Genie and the DVR, and Ultimate is the first level Directv has the NHL Network on, but guess we will see.  No interest in ST, so that won't sway me.  I

t's been a good run DTV. 

On 8/22/2019 at 2:42 PM, Stingdiddy said:

I called a few weeks ago and set a cancellation date of 8/24/19.  After making many calls to the various numbers provided in this thread, I finally spoke to someone yesterday when calling 855.407.4780.  The dude I spoke with was only offering a $40.00 discount per month, making my total bill around $144.00.  I declined.  I just called the same number today and talked to a very sweet southern lady.  She took my bill down from $184.00 per month to $91.00 per month.  I receive all movie channels free for 3 months.  I have to call before November 22nd to cancel whatever channels I don't want.  I'll keep HBO and Showtime, which will add around $30.00 to my monthly spend.  I have 5 receivers and the XTRA package.  She included the NFL Ticket MAX (includes Redzone channel) for free.  I also got the $200 gift card.  

Overall I'm pleased with the outcome and am happy I don't have to go through switching providers.  

Bottom line is that it all depends who you speak with.  If you don't like an offer, call back the next day to see what the new offer will be.  

Edit to add it's a 12 month agreement.

What was the angle? You were reconsidering the cancellation, etc? Nice that you didn't have to wait until service was disconnected. 

8 hours ago, notoriousbill said:

Looks like I am done with Directv.  I called winback number and best they could do was $84/month, NFLST Max,, $200 gift card for Choice on 2 tvs (with whole home DVR).

I called twice getting 2 different people and the offer was the same.  One actually said it required a 2 yr contract.  Be careful, they are sneaky slipping that in....

Edit:  Service diconnected on Wednesday 8/21

Try the 855 number?

The deal they offered doesn't seem too bad...just sayin.

i shipped back all the DTV stuff in a Cox box.  That'll show em!

• Like 4
  • Laughing 2

55 minutes ago, Tiger Fan said:

i shipped back all the DTV stuff in a Cox box.  That'll show em!

Nice! It's funny cause I disconnected and then reconnected keeping all my same equipment, but today got the email confirming they received my equipment. Hah

Posted (edited)

I cancelled 2 days ago- set cancel for 9/17. They called me this morning and offered essentially my current bill of $125 which includes a $55 discount for a year that was expiring on 9/17 plus ST MAX and $200 GC. I tried pressing for a little more to no avail and accepted. I’m good with it. Also NO new contract.

Also FWIW- here is the number

‭+1 (410) 919-2969‬

Guy’s name was Justin Piper- claimed he was a supervisor in customer relations. He said to ask for him and specify the Las Cruces location. Apparently calls get routed to a few locations. 

Edited by Conkie
Add contact information

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Conkie said:

I cancelled 2 days ago- set cancel for 9/17. They called me this morning and offered essentially my current bill of $125 which includes a $55 discount for a year that was expiring on 9/17 plus ST MAX and $200 GC. I tried pressing for a little more to no avail and accepted. I’m good with it. Also NO new contract.

‭+1 (410) 919-2969‬

Guy’s name was Justin Piper- claimed he was a supervisor in customer relations. He said to ask for him and specify the Las Cruces location. Apparently calls get routed to a few locations. 

I spoke with a young lady from that number on my last interaction, she too said she was a supervisor.     

On 8/23/2019 at 8:54 PM, TenMidgets said:

Try the 855 number?

The deal they offered doesn't seem too bad...just sayin.

I called the 855 number.    It wasn’t that bad of a deal.    Just more than I am willing to pay.    I only want DTV for the NFL ST and that it.    

Edited by notoriousbill

Which number do I call after service has been disconnected?

Posted (edited)

Ok.    410-919-2969 again.   Spoke with a guy that said all of the same stuff as last person.    I knew going in this year I’d never come close to last years deal ($27/month for choice package and nfl st max).   

Well I cut tv’s down to only 1.    I basically got:

1.  choice all included pkg

2.  12 months free hbo

3.  3 months free Cinemax, showtime, epix

4.  $200 gift card

5.   NFL ST Max

$75/month (after tax) with a 12 month commitment

i am ok with this deal.    Play the game again next year.....

Edited by notoriousbill

Not bad Bill, basically the same deal I got ($75 per month XTRA pkg, 3 tv's, $200 gc, ST Max, same 3 free mos Showtime, Starz, Cinemax, Epix).

Starting to think this is the new normal for deals and as long as they aren't requiring a contract, I'm ok with it as well.

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me, but even when I negotiate a decent deal with Driectv, I always feel like they are gonna screw up somehow, someway....

I love the Sunday Ticket Max and thats the ONLY thing keeping me from quitting them totally.

Called yesterday and cancelled overnight, called the 410 number first and I wasn’t in their system yet, tried the first 800 retention number and they couldn’t help yet either. Went to the trusty 888 winback number and he went over my deal and is calling back at 3pm today to finalize everything.

60.00 a month of xtra package , few other discounts to get my monthly bill where I wanted it.

Movie channels for 3 months

free Sunday ticket max

300.00 gift card

another year another win for the good guys lol

• Like 3

Apparently ATT Uverse is now offering the Ticket. 

A couple women came to the door today and are coming back tonight to talk to me. My wife said they offered the Ticket, Choice Extra and a $300 GC

I have a hard time believing this

18 minutes ago, Mr.Pack said:

Apparently ATT Uverse is now offering the Ticket. 

A couple women came to the door today and are coming back tonight to talk to me. My wife said they offered the Ticket, Choice Extra and a $300 GC

I have a hard time believing this

Or apparently my wife wasn't listening very well.

:suds:

For the 410 number did you state you got an email or a missed call?

Called the 410# - said that a buddy told me to call them before I shipped back my equipment. They could not help me right then - said my account# is an older DirecTV account # and not a newer AT&T#. However, said his boss can handle it and they will call me back by tomorrow. He did seem willing to help out, was not concerned how I got that #.

I'll call the 855# tomorrow.

Anyone know how late you can call these numbers. 

I’ve tried calling the 410 and 855 numbers each of the past 2 nights...waited on hold for 45 minutes and finally gave up.  Called the 800 number, got to the loyalty department.  As in years past, I played the “good guy” card, saying my wife wanted to cancel and go to sling tv due to costs (always worked like a charm in the past).  All they would offer is $50 off for 12 months, another $5 off for 6 months. Asked about ST, was told there were  no offers available.  I must be losing my touch...

I plan on trying again tomorrow, but she said she would put a note in the system about the offer I received in case I decided to take it.  I was hoping she wouldn’t so I could start off fresh with a new agent.

So just called and set disconnect date for Sept 18.

Last year at this time, received a great deal for $56.99, free ST Max, and a $200 gift card.  They told me I needed a new Genie.

Guy comes out a few days later to install new Genie.  Says I don't need one. Tries to activate old account and can't.  Calls same type of person we talk to here.  I'm told my plan would be better than the $56.99.  Turned out it wasn't. Paid $65-79 all year.  Only received $100 gift card.   I was just too busy at the time to fight it.

Gal today on the cancel was super nice. Just proceeded with the cancel. Clarified I was not on a contract. At the very end she thanked me for being long time customer and to watch for win back emails.

On 8/26/2019 at 9:56 AM, notoriousbill said:

Maybe it's just me, but even when I negotiate a decent deal with Driectv, I always feel like they are gonna screw up somehow, someway....

I love the Sunday Ticket Max and thats the ONLY thing keeping me from quitting them totally.

You've said that several times.  $70/month for 12 months is $900 just for football man.

Last time I'd used the VPN route for getting NFL Gamepass (same as Sunday Ticket without the blackouts and stupid US restrictions) it cost $130.

Or watch reddit streams for free.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2019 at 2:53 PM, Conkie said:

‭+1 (410) 919-2969‬

I’m pretty sure this is the guys name I got today said same location also. I was wondering though he gave me good deal like all the others but said he was calling tomorrow to finalize everything. Have the others that have been told this actually been getting the return call?

I think this is the end of the line for me.  I was going to call again to try so i called the 888 number and got some woman from overseas with a thick accent.  We were each having trouble understanding the other and i decided I was finished.  I didn’t feel like playing the game anymore.  So i told her i was sending back the stuff tomorrow.

she said they would have 50% off deal for me to come back.  I asked her what that would cost and she said she couldn’t do that now.....she could only do 20% now.

I said thank you and good bye.

Im tired of the games and will likely go to YouTube.tv

• Like 1

First try was to the 410 number. Very odd they couldn’t pull up my info using my acct no.  She said it needed to be 9 digits but mine was only 8. WTF?  Anybody else get that?

I guess I’ll try the 888 now. 

54 minutes ago, RBM said:

First try was to the 410 number. Very odd they couldn’t pull up my info using my acct no.  She said it needed to be 9 digits but mine was only 8. WTF?  Anybody else get that?

I guess I’ll try the 888 now. 

Same exact thing happened to me  getting quoted different prices and different promotions  

Hi all! Newcomer here. Found this thread searching for ways to approach DirecTV & ST. Been a 15 year customer with them and like all of you have experienced, it just keeps getting worse. Got the big win back offer last year which gave me Choice for $50/mo., free ST Max, 3 free mo. HBO/Stars/Cinemax and $200 GC which never came. Did the song and dance again this year and disconnected around 4 AM on 08/27.

Waited 24 hours and called 855 and 888 numbers. First rep at 888 said the only offer was $125/mo. which was standard pricing. Second at 855 named Juan said he could offer me free ST Max but no discounts and nothing else w/ no agreement. Juan even said he wanted to get me the same thing I had last year but it wasn't on my account. Called 410 number and was told the same as others - account numbers they need are nine digits and they couldn't find mine using any criteria. Guessing it's because I have an older DTV account. Rep sounded sincere about wanting to help and said she wanted to get my pricing back to where it was last year and free ST and would keep looking into it and call me back. Let's say I'm less than optimistic about that prospect.

I honestly don't need DTV and am more than willing to walk away. Like many, only reason I've kept them is due to ST but no way in hell I'm paying $125/mo. for basic cable. Plan to try each number one more time today because cancellation was just yesterday and then try again tomorrow.

At this point, don't really care if they retain me or not. Would love ST but they have to give me similar to last year to keep me. Have others gotten better offers the more times you call or the more days that go with your account being canceled?

• Like 1

Made the call last week and old them I didn't have time for the run-around this year and just wanted to cancel.  She of course said I could wait a month or so to see if any discounts become available 🙄. Its been shut-off since yesterday.  If they come back with a killer offer I might stay, but unlike years past I am fine with cancelling.  No emails or calls from them yet.  Most likely will do sling for a few months because I can get Redzone, but ultimately will probably go to YouTube TV.  Already feels good to be done with DTV!   

4 hours ago, ACG2x said:

Hi all! Newcomer here. Found this thread searching for ways to approach DirecTV & ST. Been a 15 year customer with them and like all of you have experienced, it just keeps getting worse. Got the big win back offer last year which gave me Choice for $50/mo., free ST Max, 3 free mo. HBO/Stars/Cinemax and $200 GC which never came. Did the song and dance again this year and disconnected around 4 AM on 08/27.

Waited 24 hours and called 855 and 888 numbers. First rep at 888 said the only offer was $125/mo. which was standard pricing. Second at 855 named Juan said he could offer me free ST Max but no discounts and nothing else w/ no agreement. Juan even said he wanted to get me the same thing I had last year but it wasn't on my account. Called 410 number and was told the same as others - account numbers they need are nine digits and they couldn't find mine using any criteria. Guessing it's because I have an older DTV account. Rep sounded sincere about wanting to help and said she wanted to get my pricing back to where it was last year and free ST and would keep looking into it and call me back. Let's say I'm less than optimistic about that prospect.

I honestly don't need DTV and am more than willing to walk away. Like many, only reason I've kept them is due to ST but no way in hell I'm paying $125/mo. for basic cable. Plan to try each number one more time today because cancellation was just yesterday and then try again tomorrow.

At this point, don't really care if they retain me or not. Would love ST but they have to give me similar to last year to keep me. Have others gotten better offers the more times you call or the more days that go with your account being canceled?

Have had the exact same experience with three #s you listed. Seriously, the 410# can't help because I've got an older DTV account#? I'm being penalized for being a longer-term customer, I guess. Frustrating, given the success others are having here.

Will be curious about your second efforts, but I'm heading down the Reddit/streams YouTube TV route soon. DTV can suck it.

I have been told that if you call and express concern about not getting the local CBS or NBC channel due to their battle with Nexstar - they will send you an antennae that plugs into their DTV box.  

Gonna try making the call tomorrow.  

I called a few days ago and complained about this Nexstar issue (it's local ABC that I'm not getting).  They issued me a one time $50 credit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rail said:

Have had the exact same experience with three #s you listed. Seriously, the 410# can't help because I've got an older DTV account#? I'm being penalized for being a longer-term customer, I guess. Frustrating, given the success others are having here.

Will be curious about your second efforts, but I'm heading down the Reddit/streams YouTube TV route soon. DTV can suck it.

I'll be sure to share. Going to try again tomorrow and probably once more sometime this weekend. If not, then it's Hulu or YouTube TV. Both have the regional sports channels so I can watch the Twins and Timberwolves which is the sole reason I keep cable to begin with so literally the only thing DTV can offer me now is Sunday Ticket.

May just suck it up for two years because in 2020-21 NFL's contract with DTV expires and everything from Rog seems to indicate they want to offer Ticket through a variety of streaming services. It seems AT&T is well aware of this hence why they aren't really giving a damn about DTV or Ticket. Several articles said rumors were swirling that AT&T would shed DTV entirely to Dish once ST deal expires. DTV's days of being the exclusive ST provider are almost certainly in their end days.

Here's a fun one...

Sunday- disconnected

Monday- 4 pm, call and offered 3 mos movie channels, free ST, $200 gift card, accepted

10 pm, service still not turned on so call back. Service is reconnected and earlier offers confirmed

Tuesday- get bill for $170, paying for movies and ST

Wednesday- talk with them for 2 hours in AM, goes nowhere but told a manager would call by end of day

never get a call

Try to login to HBOGO, password not recognized

Call again, this time told that there are no discounts available, can only get free ST by agreeing to a 2 year commitment. 

WHAT?! 

Just got off the phone with directv/att.  Best she could do is $60/month off for a year. Set up disconnect for this coming Saturday.  We shall see what chapter 2 has in store for us.

I had to cut my bill down.  Called yesterday.  Didn't do anything crazy and probably could've done better, but I was happy.  

I had an old package that was $99.00, plus ST Max from last year, and a bunch of random stuff that made my bill close to $200.

Called, dropped my package down to the base one, which is sufficient for me now honestly, got the $60 off / month for a year loyalty bonus, another $25 bill credit (1-time), and removed some stuff that honestly, I never remember adding (Some movie add-on and a ridiculous protection package).  My next bill will be a credit, and then after that ~$70/mos or so.

Honestly, what gets me is how often a rep "gives" me programming for free and says it will automatically cancel, and it doesn't.  That's how I ended up with some $5 movie add-on and the $20 warranty package (that covers iPads...WTF?).  I could fight it, but it wasn't worth the time.  This is all magnified by the fact that my internet log-in WILL NOT WORK 95% of the time, no matter what I do, and I often have no clue what I'm actually paying for.  I'm to the point now where I won't even take "free" programming because I'll forget to cancel it, even if they say I don't have to.

Sounds like att has firmly taken control now :lmao: No consistency and horrible customer service. Yet another company att has destroyed.

• Like 2

Called this morning. They transferred me to a Sleep Number mattress customer service...seriously. 

• Laughing 10

It’s been a mess for me so far with little things too but today is the moment of truth. Will report back

On 8/1/2019 at 3:49 PM, avoiding injuries said:

Yep, this is the number to call. 

I got my previous package (Extra) for $42 (with 3 receivers, DVR and HD it comes to $72) 12 month promotional rate with a 12 month agreement  (Not 24, so I can get ST Max again next year).

The promotion was free Sunday Ticket Max, $200 Visa Gift Card and all movie channels for 3 months. 

I might have been able to squeez a little more, but I lost patience. 

Thanks for your help!

Got my first bill emailed to me today and they autobilled me $201.63. 😡 

Spent 30 min on the phone and they said the bill was generated before the credits were applied??? He told me I would be receiving a credit for the difference on next months bill. Not very confident that is going to happen. 

I then asked that he confirm I had the $200 gift card as well as SundayTicket Max for free. He said “I’ll add SundayTicket to your promotion for free and that ones on me today”??? What in the ###k?

• Laughing 1

Round two just completed. A friend of mine got a winback e-mail with 855-691-3031 which is a new one to me. Called that and gave the spiel. Canceled due to price, going with Hulu streaming, willing to listen if they can beat that offer, etc. Got a clearly offshore rep who didn't know what I was talking about. She gave me a number of 844-207-4996 and said she couldn't transfer me. Sigh. I called 844 and got Paige.

Paige in loyalty answered and was a native English speaker. Seemed to know what she was doing. Looked up my info very quickly but then said the "winback team" would have the best offers. Took her a minute and she transferred me to winback.

Waited on hold for a while and got Alan(?). Sounded like a woman so I'll refer to Alan as she. She seemed to want to help and looked at my account and said that because I had "reconnected and canceled again yesterday" all the promotions on my account were gone. Um, no. That never happened and I told her I called to check promotions, not reconnect. She said they can't reconnect unless they read terms and conditions and I said those were never read to me. She seemed to know that the rep screwed up and genuinely understood my frustration however said she was confused as well.

She shed a little light into how their offers are generated. She said each account is given a certain number of loyalty "hearts" that drives your promotions from 1-5. She said that my account had three hearts which should've meant I was eligible for the big winback offer however after my account was canceled on 08/27, then reactivated (w/o my permission) on 08/28 and then canceled again, those offers were gone and she didn't have any power to put them back on.

At this point, I am pissed and say I want a supervisor. I reminded her several times it wasn't her. She said that if a rep reconnected my account without my permission, they could lose their job. I told her that I want to share my experience because it's not right that I'm being barred from a promotion I otherwise would be eligible for because of a rep error. She said she wanted to try the "cancellation department" to see if they could reverse everything :confused:. WTF?

I waited on hold for almost 10 minutes with her checking back once saying they were having high call volume then eventually dropped because I had a meeting. No call back yet and no e-mail. At this point, I just want to go with Hulu streaming however I do want to make it known what happened to me so I'm going to ask again for a manager at winback. Spent an hour on the phone and ended up hanging up. Going to start my free trial with Hulu tonight and when I file my complaint, I'm telling DTV the only way they are keeping me is with the best possible offer everyone else on here has gotten.

So unbelievably frustrating. I'm pretty much done with this organization.

On 8/28/2019 at 6:37 AM, SteelCurtain said:

I think this is the end of the line for me.  I was going to call again to try so i called the 888 number and got some woman from overseas with a thick accent.  We were each having trouble understanding the other and i decided I was finished.  I didn’t feel like playing the game anymore.  So i told her i was sending back the stuff tomorrow.

she said they would have 50% off deal for me to come back.  I asked her what that would cost and she said she couldn’t do that now.....she could only do 20% now.

I said thank you and good bye.

Im tired of the games and will likely go to YouTube.tv

Box with receivers was sent back to DTV.  I am done. 

Time to figure out my streaming options.

855 267 4160.   Win back email this morning wanting me to call this number. 

My issue so far is similar to the above. They randomly reconnected and disconnected me for no reason and keep telling me it messed up my promotions. For the 4th day in a row, I’m supposed to get called back by win back tonight. Worst year ever for me so far. I haven’t had service since Sunday but the system still has my disconnect date in September (I requested Sunday and it did shut off).

58 minutes ago, FuSchnickens said:

For those of you that had a deal and they it got completely hosed up I urge you to file a complaint with the BBB. I had to do it a couple of years.I received a phone call from the ATT Office of the President was able to get my deal back and then some. 

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started 

Doing this tonight after a draft I’m having at my house. I also got email addresses for AT&T’s VP of Customer Service and am emailing her the history of this directly. I also sent the standard complaint form to the office of the President but since that’s a stock form I don’t expect much to come of it.

Honestly don’t even know if I want to reconnect but I want them to know the horrific experience they provided. I oversee a customer experience team for a living and have been in that game for 15+ years and how they handled today was appalling.

Will report back the outcome of all this.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 8/20/2019 at 4:55 PM, dancingbones said:

Bit of a service nightmare.  

Long story short - took 1/2 day yesterday and from 8:30am-2:30pm today with the Tech at my house to simply get a dish mounted and my service operational. They had the tech on the phone getting the offshore call center run around for several hours after he got everything hooked up - what a poor setup!

And the amount my online account shows I am being billed is not what was agreed to.

SO, I will need to devote more time to this before it is resolved. The "notes" all show the correct number that I should be charged, but the "system" spits out a different number.

Needing a tech complicated my situation.  I will let the system settle down for a few days to before having the next round of billing calls to get everything straight. 

Not a customer friendly system. If it were not for the Sunday Ticket I would be long gone. 

So below was the deal that I agreed to 8/18, and the service SNAFU happened above on 8/19 & 8/20.

Was a bit complicated for me this year by the fact that I had my roof replaced while I had service disconnected & need a tech to come out to re-align the dish. 

Disconnected officially 8/2 - didn't miss the service at all but wanted to make sure everything was working right so called the number on the email they sent this evening - that office was closed.  So I called 888-333-0804 - and ended up with:

Choice/HD/DVR (1 TV), 

$67.12/mo + tax after discounts 

Free ST MAX

Free HBO/SHO/Starz 3 mos (need to cancel)

$300 visa gift card (had to wait for that - they originally offered $100, then $200, finally $300)

1 yr agreement

Free tech to come out & re-align dish tomorrow AM.

Not as good as last year, but enough to keep me as a customer. 

Was charged for the guy to come out the 2nd day, and was billed 3 times for the movie channels and credited for them twice.  Also got the the rewards center for the $300 gift card and discovered it was only approved for $200.

Was able to the all of the charges that shouldn't have been on the account removed (credited) - and they did give me an additional $100 credit for the wrong amount on the gift card.  

I have been assured by multiple people that my bill with be $62 + taxes going forward.  I am understandably a bit skeptical - but so for they have honored what the said, though I have had to jump through a number of hoops to guide them along that path.  Next step for me is to wait for the gift card they sent for a $139 credit on my account when I disconnected and the $200 rewards gift card for the winback and make sure the next bill is charged correctly.  Once all of that is done we should be smooth sailing until it is time to cancel the movie channels and then see who has the ST for next year.   Moral of the story is plan to devote a decent amount of time to this endeavor this year.  Factor that time in to any discounts you get.

Good luck :thumbup:

Edited by dancingbones

2 hours ago, cheese said:

My issue so far is similar to the above. They randomly reconnected and disconnected me for no reason and keep telling me it messed up my promotions. For the 4th day in a row, I’m supposed to get called back by win back tonight. Worst year ever for me so far. I haven’t had service since Sunday but the system still has my disconnect date in September (I requested Sunday and it did shut off).

Ok they were telling the truth about the timing issue. Once I waited 24 hours from the fake disconnect time, winback offered the good stuff.  

5 hours ago, FuSchnickens said:

For those of you that had a deal and they it got completely hosed up I urge you to file a complaint with the BBB. I had to do it a couple of years.I received a phone call from the ATT Office of the President was able to get my deal back and then some. 

https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complaints/file-a-complaint/get-started 

File this against AT&T or is there a separate option for DTV?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cheese said:

Ok they were telling the truth about the timing issue. Once I waited 24 hours from the fake disconnect time, winback offered the good stuff.  

same here ...disconnect happen at 3am, lady said call back tomorrow - she couldn't offer anything at that time.