What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (6 Viewers)

I think some of you are making this way too hard.   This is my third year of playing the game.  

I call the customer service number on my bill. Choose the option for cancelling.   Tell them wife wants to cut bill and wants me to stream.  I dont even ask or listen to any offers.  Just set the cancel date.  

First two years I got a call from a san Antonio number next day.  This year I got win back email the next day.  

I then call back and get a good deal.  Takes very little time with no major hassle.  

I think some of you are making this way too hard.   This is my third year of playing the game.  

I call the customer service number on my bill. Choose the option for cancelling.   Tell them wife wants to cut bill and wants me to stream.  I dont even ask or listen to any offers.  Just set the cancel date.  

First two years I got a call from a san Antonio number next day.  This year I got win back email the next day.  

I then call back and get a good deal.  Takes very little time with no major hassle.  
I've had both good luck and bad. Problem is their customer service experience is highly decentralized and not at all uniform in how they deal with their customers. There appears to be a lack of training as you get different stories from different reps. ATT adding themselves to the mix does not help as now there appears to be a transition period with two sets of each department and they are still separated into loyalty, winback, technical, billing, etc etc. That's the thing that frustrates me the most...no consistency. That and lack of follow through randomly.

Getzlaf15 said:

Did the same thing as you said. Called, said cancel, set a date. Never got an email or a call. Called before disconnect date (Called several #'s including "Winback" Number. Stated I got the proverbial "Winback" email/phone call. No credits/incentives available. Called several #'s including "Winback" number, stated I got the proverbial "Winback email/phone call a couple days after disconnect. No incentives/credits available. 

For some reason, it's seemingly hit or miss. Or in my case a total whiff with a whole lotta hassle.

Called back this morning to very likely accept the offer I was presented last night. I was told there were no notes in the system of that offer, presented a more expensive offer, AND told that I’m just now completing year 1 of a two year contract and will be charged an early termination fee if I proceed with my cancellation. 

I’m under no such contract. They owe ME over $300. I filed a complaint with the BBB and contacted the Office of the President per the post on the previous page.

We’ll see what happens next. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, just "cancelled" my directv service and it will expire next month.  They didn't even send me to retentions or anything.   He could not have given a crap less.  Didn't even offer anything.  

Guess I'll just wait a day or two before calling winback number?  Never gotten this far. 😁  Usually, they give me enough of a discount at retentions.

Disconnected last Wednesday, no win back email, just got the box to send back the equipment with a note to call before sending the equipment back.  I called the number in the box and they offered me about $30 off my bill and free movie channels for 3 months.  That wasn't going to do it.

Called the win back number last night after a busy weekend.  Probably not the best time to call as I got an overseas call center, but I didn't want to deal with it today.  After about 45 minutes of round and round, this is what I got for a 1 year commitment:

Choice for $80/month

ST Max

3 months HBO and movie channels

$300 gift card (arrives within 6 weeks - there's a good chance the wife throws it away with the junk mail)

It's basically the new subscriber deal.  Good enough to keep me around for another year, but this could be the last time I go through this.  It's a soul-crushing process that rivals dealing with airline cancellations.  Life is too short and precious to go through this torment year after year.

So irate with these people. I called in April to add HBO back on for Thrones and asked if there were any discounts. Added HBO with $7/month off HBO for 6 months. He asked if there was anything else. I mentioned I got the ST Max last year for free, and would love to have it. He said he'd check all offers and then came back and said he had it. He added it. It almost seemed too good to be true and too easy, so I said to him 3 times on the call, you are sure, the Sunday Ticket Max for free for 2019 season, no contract. And he confirmed. Sunday rolls around, I'm traveling  work. I fire up the laptop at 12:45, login and it is only giving me options to sign up. I call and they say that I do not have it and they can't find any notes on the call. I went back and forth with them and they are not budging. So frustrating. If anyone has been through something similar and has recommendations, I'm all ears.

They ended up sending me a gift card for the balance they owed me from last year's deal where I was paid to have their service ($139). That came in the mail a few days ago.  For this year's gift card - was promised $300 and it showed up in the rewards center as $200.  I have "claimed" that reward, and it is in the process of waiting for validation - I think perhaps to make sure you have the service active for 30 days or something.  Had to call & get the other $100 as a one time credit - which the did honor.

Edit: for the gift card they send you a specific email with a link that you need to follow to "claim your reward". 
How long did it take to get the gift card for your credit balance?

I did end up dropping direc tv due to all their nonsense. Had been a customer for 15 plus years. I'm experimenting with an IPTV service. So far so good. They had every NFL games on yesterday. I could just choose their Sunday Ticket section or just select the network & city where a game was on and tune in there. All the games were also available in HD via streams including your choice of RedZone channel broadcast. The streams worked flawlessly.

So irate with these people. I called in April to add HBO back on for Thrones and asked if there were any discounts. Added HBO with $7/month off HBO for 6 months. He asked if there was anything else. I mentioned I got the ST Max last year for free, and would love to have it. He said he'd check all offers and then came back and said he had it. He added it. It almost seemed too good to be true and too easy, so I said to him 3 times on the call, you are sure, the Sunday Ticket Max for free for 2019 season, no contract. And he confirmed. Sunday rolls around, I'm traveling  work. I fire up the laptop at 12:45, login and it is only giving me options to sign up. I call and they say that I do not have it and they can't find any notes on the call. I went back and forth with them and they are not budging. So frustrating. If anyone has been through something similar and has recommendations, I'm all ears.
This is a very familiar tune. Your only hope is to file a complaint with the BBB. My suggestion would be to get and IPTV service and familiarize yourself with NFL streams. Much less hassle and you'll have some xtra $$$ in your pocket. Also get a VPN. Cumcast (yes I spelled it like that intentionally) tried to block my IPTV service. Just fired up my VPN to get around all their nonsense.

This is a very familiar tune. Your only hope is to file a complaint with the BBB. My suggestion would be to get and IPTV service and familiarize yourself with NFL streams. Much less hassle and you'll have some xtra $$$ in your pocket. Also get a VPN. Cumcast (yes I spelled it like that intentionally) tried to block my IPTV service. Just fired up my VPN to get around all their nonsense.
I wish I knew how to do any of this.  #TechnologicalLoser. 

Is there a simple explanation on the web?  I have no idea about setting up a VPN or IPTV.  And this is all done from your computer to your TV?

I have Roku if that helps.  (I know I know.  I should probably take this to the Cutting the Cord thread.)

I cancelled and then called back one hour later and got to loyalty. Man, it really does depend on who you get with loyalty in terms of who can help and who can't. Within the first 20 seconds of the call, I think you have a good idea whether this person can really help or is new and just reading the script. The person I got seemed helpful, but he said since my account was set for disconnection, he couldn't help, but the "VIP" team could. He gave me the number 855-407-3978 in case we got disconnected and then transferred me. Explained my story, she said that since I have a legacy plan that I was grandfathered into, if I moved to a new plan (same cost, losing 3 channels that I never heard of), she could include Sunday ticket max with a 1 year contract. Probably the worst deal I have gotten with them ever and had to work harder for it, but still got ST Max at no charge.

I wish I knew how to do any of this.  #TechnologicalLoser. 

Is there a simple explanation on the web?  I have no idea about setting up a VPN or IPTV.  And this is all done from your computer to your TV?

I have Roku if that helps.  (I know I know.  I should probably take this to the Cutting the Cord thread.)
It's not difficult at all. IPTV will run on a tablet of phone. There are IPTV clients in the Apple & Google Play stores. I use IPTV Smarters Player on my Win10 HTPC I have hooked up to my pig screen and the GSE IPTV client on my phone & iPad. It's all rather quite simple. Once u sign up for an Iptv service they will send u a password & link to access the service. I'ts really just a playlist called an M3U. Here's a little link on it. I pay 10 a month and get thousands of channels including all sports you can possibly imagine. It is possible to get it on a Roku. You can literally be up and running in 30 mins or less. Trust me you won't regret it. I use Torguard as my VPN and it works on Windows, Android & IOS.

IPTV Tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA6yMApiGWU

IPTV Service I use

https://kingofstreams.us/

IPTV on Roku

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1cGBcqGmFM

VPN for Roku

https://cooltechzone.com/roku-vpn

And as far as NFL streams the combination of Google & NFL Streams Reddit is your best friend.

I figured that I would post my deal in case it helps others to have info to use in their negotiations. Note that in your negotiations you have to ASK for everything that you want to try to get. You will not be offered a gift card or any other extras if you do not ask for it. Worse they can say is no to anything that you ask for.

To begin with I got a slightly worse deal this year than what I got last year but not in terms of dollars. What is worse is that last year I got HBO free for 12 months and Cinemax free for 6 months. I also got Sunday Ticket Max for free.

This time no free premium channels. Sunday Ticket I was told that there is no Sunday Ticket promo available but the CSR says that availability of things like that always change so you might hit it right when you call in. The CSR did tell me that since I had free Sunday Ticket last season that he will put in for a reinstatement of it. CSR said that if I don't have it in 2 weeks to call the main customer service number and ask to have it reinstated for free. He said that he would put a note on my account about free Sunday Ticket reinstatement. Honestly I'm not counting on getting it and I can live without it if that is the case. It did not factor in my decision to accept the reconnect offer.

Offer I got:

Choice all inclusive (all inclusive meaning DVR and HD Fees)
$200 Visa Gift Card
Possible Sunday Ticket Max but I'm not holding my breath on that
$36.48 per month, 12 months no contract

I was also offered $50.48 per month for the XTRA package but I decided on Choice for $14 a month less.

Oh and one warning about online account access. My login credentials stopped working after the disconnect and reconnect. This also happened to me last year. Last year I don't think I interacted with ATT CSR's, pretty sure I dealt with a Directv person to get my account reset and it was fairly painless. This time it was about a 1 hour adventure to finally get back my account access.

Yeah I've been disconnected for a month and the only thing I heard from them was to return my 10 year old equipment.  Not sure if I was blackballed because I got the ticket last year or my account had been merged over to ATT system or what.

My conspiracy theory is they bought DirecTV to run it into the ground and remove a competitor and they want to promote ATT TV over it.
Why don't you just get the new customer deals since you've been disconnected for a month? Seems pretty simple. Sign up as a new customer, wallah

Called 855-267-4160 and spoke to Stacey Sumner. Sounded like a call center. Said I received a winback email to call this number.

My current service after discounts fall off:

Xtra 101.99

Regional sports fee 1.80

HBO 17.99

3 TVs equipment 36.00

Total 157.58 plus tax

Offered me $60/mo for 12 months.

Asked if I wanted to keep HBO. Said yes. Asked her if any offers for free movies channels. None.

Asked about Sunday Ticket Max. Gave to me for free.

Asked about gift cards. Yes I qualify for $200 gift card.

Bill is $97.78 a month.

Asked if there were any more discounts I could get to bring price down. She said no. Also said I called at right time because $60 discounts were even going to go away soon.

I think others probably got a little better deal with free movie channels but I'll take it. Was a quick and easy 10 minute call. I did have to ask for things though whereas in the past they just offered everything.

Last year I got an unbelievable deal of $155 credits a month for 12 months. I did have to pay full price for Sunday Ticket though. I havent had a bill since like February. 

Now to watch and make sure they follow through. Oh yeah no contract. Maybe I'll call back in a few months and ask if their are any other discounts or free movie channels. I bet if I waited until actual disconnect I could have squeezed a little more but it's done.
Got the email yesterday that says they miss me and to call the number I already called above to get their best offer.

FWIW, I got my bill after my disconnect date and renegotiation.  I have $120 in credits each month for next 12 months.  My current bill does have me paying Sunday Ticket in full and I'm on 3rd of 6 payments.  Net payment this month is $47, but by my calcs, I'll have credit on my account each month after that.  If this holds, I'm happy. 

Set up disconnect yesterday for 9/16. They only offered $5 off for 12 months and free Sunday Ticket and the rep didn't seem to care much that I was cancelling the service.

Got a call this morning from 410-919-2969 and the rep started her offer mentioning the $200 gift card, free Sunday Ticket etc but stopped mid sentence and said "Oh your account is still active?... I can't offer these promotions until your service is officially disconnected" She said she would call me back the day after the disconnect on 9/17. We'll see I guess. It may explain why some people here aren't getting much of an offer if calling in before the service is disconnected.

I miss the old days when this was an easy call to the 800 number.

1st Sunday with Redzone channel and Scott Hansen. I miss Andrew Siciliano, I didn't know redzone channel was different with DirecTV. Not sure how they run these "redzone offices" but DirecTV's with Siciliano felt superior in terms of switching games quicker and interrupting non-action to show us something. Seems they are more on the ball with Siciliano and DirecTV. Maybe just perception and takes some getting used to Scott Hansen and non-DirecTV redzone.

That said, I can live with it considering the crap DirecTV has pulled on me since AT&T bought them:

• 2017 A rep decided to activate the service and put me in a new contract without any permission - all I did was call to ask what promos were available after I shut off service. Finally resolved with "office of the president of AT&T", no contract and about $45/mo with Sunday Ticket and 2 DVRs and HBO.
  • 2018 They could not have cared less when I shut off the service. First rep argued I was in contract until 2019 (total bs, after 17 years I know better than to get in contract). Escalated enough and DTV acknowledged I was not in contract. Told me to recycle the DVRs. I never got a winback call, I found a number here (thanks FBG FFA) and negotiated to $40/mo for the same service.
  • 2019 Shut off the service. Nobody cared. No winback call or email. Told to mail the DVRs back within 10 days. Case closed. Rep might as well have just said "good riddance, we don't care if you sub or not". Fwiw, I am as polite as can be when I make these calls. I don't demand, I am never rude. The rep seemed truly annoyed at me for calling at all.
I would have thought that DirecTV's expenses to allow my DVR to receive a signal were a 'sunk cost' for them. They would be better off getting only $20/mo from me than absolutely nothing and losing another long term customer. I can't think of another company that went from top tier customer service/retention to completely terrible CS and indifferent reps in such little time.

Truly curious what AT&T's intention was when they bought DTV. A dying industry where people are cutting the cord left and right, and they make such little effort to retain their customers. Maybe just too large of a company now and changed all the call centers to this "Mas Tech" place which I have had nothing but terrible/indifferent service when calling in.

Got the email yesterday that says they miss me and to call the number I already called above to get their best offer.
Just sent me the same email again to call the number. I'm tempted to just to see if they have more to offer but I'm afraid they would screw up what I already got.

Called the winback to confirm previous offers, which I already had online in my account. Asked if they had any deals for movies that I wasn't offered before. Said couldn't help me as I wasn't a winback customer anymore. Told to try customer service as they are always running deals. Tried the chat online and they had nothing for HBO but gave me 3 months of Showtime, Cinemax, Starz, movie pack, and sports pack for free. Just need to remember to cancel.

Looks like it also lowered my bill $5.97 a month for the 3 months because of the way they are billing my current HBO as part of the package deal. 

AT&T to lose 1.1 million TV subscribers as DirecTV continues nosedive

To get back on track, AT&T is banking on its new AT&T TV streaming service, which is different from AT&T TV Now despite having a nearly identical name. Unlike AT&T TV Now, AT&T TV has two-year contracts, prices that rise automatically after a year, fees for activation and early termination of service, a Regional Sports Fee, and "certain other additional fees and charges."

It's not clear to us why customers who ditched DirecTV or U-verse would be tempted by a streaming service that recreates the annoyances and pricing structure of traditional cable and satellite TV services
:lmao:

And for you folks that did get a deal:

AT&T said its 2020 performance should also be helped by higher per-customer revenue because it's limiting the discounts available to subscribers.

My discounts ran out today. I've been trying to connect to the loyalty department for an hour and a half without any success. All agents are busy! Unreal!

Called 855-267-4160, got a nice lady named Anahi but when she tried to find my account...no success. Said the system was not working and never had this before. UGH! Told me to call a different number tomorrow a.m. and hopefully will have better luck. Hung up and then tried a number of other phone numbers and always on hold.  Recording says "Thank you for your patience, your call is important to us. Please continue to hold for the next available agent". REALLY...not important if i'm on hold for an hour +. Guess I just give up and try the number tomorrow. 🤬

How did you get in contact with your OoP?
Go to https://investors.att.com/resources/contacts#customer-service

and select the option for Executive Customer Care Contact and fill out the form. I got a response in a few days. My rep was awesome and gave me confidence there are at least a few competent people who work for them.

anyone able to get any deal on the ST. I have been with DTV for 25 years and have all ways got a deal on the ST. 

anyone able to get any deal on the ST. I have been with DTV for 25 years and have all ways got a deal on the ST. 
I was able to get it (non-max) for 1/2 price.  Talked to the customer loyalty department.  Was first offered a credit of $48.99 (which equates to 1/6 of the cost).  Told him I didn't want to pay that much and he was able to offer 2 $48.99 credits.  Said "how about 1/2 price"?  Was told highly unlikely but would check with the back office.  After being on hold for a couple minutes, he came back and offered a credit of $146.97 (which equates to 3 $48.99 credits, which equates to 1/2 price)

So I had my service disconnected and a few days later made the call, because my account was 1 digit shorter than I guess some accounts, they told me I had to talk to a different call center (the call center with Stacy Sumner is the one that said I had to use a different number/center) Anyway, so this is what I ended up getting.

No new contract, 1 new receiver (this brings me to a total of 9, which is a big part of my monthly cost/expense) ST for free (NOT the max though, but I don't care about that) a $200 Visa Card, and I'm on the Entertainment Package and they included the sports package with it. My bill will be $92 a month for the first 2 months, then $102 for the next 4 months then drops to $54 for the last 6 months (its odd how it was structured but I think it had to do with credits given for ST) but anyway its basically paying $916 plus tax for the year and of course I can subtract the $200 gift card from that (which in reality probably covers the taxes).  So I guess paying $75-$80 a month including 9 receivers and ST isn't a bad deal right? 

Binky The Doormat said:
sounds like a brilliant business plan, losing customers to aggressive competition so charge your current customers more to make up the difference. 
I know I sound like DirecTV hater now, but I am grateful for all those years where I was able to negotiate a reasonable price without having to go through so many phone calls (when customer retention was actually a department and not just transfer back into the same queue). Customer retention should have the power to offer more than a 2nd rate pay channel (SHO) for 3 months free (yet bill goes from $45 to $120 without even NFL). /sigh

I really wonder wtf is going on there at DirecTV. My experience in August (after 18 years) was enough to make me say "no more". I did the song and dance and cancelled and got a winback phone number last few years.

This year they said "send us the equipment (dvrs) within 10 days or you will be charged". Last year they said throw the dvrs away or recycle them. What?

I really think someone at DTV came up with a plan to make cancelling as difficult as possible so they would get a large portion of their customers to say "screw it, I'm not climbing behind TVs to get the equipment then boxing it all up and shipping it. It's less time consuming to remain a sub. I will cancel later". I was appalled at 2018's "throw away your equipment it's worthless" compared to 2019's "you have 10 days to ship them back (the same dvrs that were worthless to them in 2018) or your will be charged".

I hated doing that phone call every August. Feels good knowing I don't have to do this anymore. It was always this lingering worry because my bills would go from about $50/mo at most to $120+ and NFL package fees if I did not make the calls.

They want the lazy customers who don't want to deal with smart TVs and subbing to Sling/Hulu and setting up OTA antennas. They know these people have the money and would rather not deal with the hassle. Milking every last penny before satellite TV dies for good and long term negotiating customers are unwanted. Not the best move imo since it costs DTV nothing extra to let my dvrs get the signal, so any monthly bill I pay to them is better than zero and never coming back.

I don’t want to get into all the details of the calls and time on hold but it was much worse than prior years. Suffice to say once you’ve gotten disconnected and use the WINBACK word, only the Winback Dept. 888-333-0804 can help you, which is great because they answer faster. Other depts say they can help, and you’ve reached the right VIP Dept. but it turns out they can’t.

Ultimate Pkg with 2 TVs 

ST Max Free

HBO Showtime Starz Cinemax 3 months free

$300 Visa gift card. Had to ask to up it from $200. Said he’s never given $300 before.

$50 off per month. They would not go to $60 off. First year I didn’t get at least $60 off.

Bill now $94.12. 

*Need to call to cancel movie channels and ST Max.

So I wrote the email to the executives, telling them that they can kiss my petunias and received the letter telling me to take my stuff to UPS or else. I've been enjoying the SportzTV app (ugly UI asside) for a week plus. Last night, I was tired of watching Syracuse getting thumped, and I figured one last time I'd make the win back call. 

30 minutes and I was up and running again with Choice, STM, 3mos movies and the $200 GC. Like many have said tho, I think I'm done after this one. I would have been a lot happier with the same results a month and dozen phone calls ago 

Can you all scam them like uverse where you can get the gift card and cancel after paying one bill?  I would usually pay three bills though.    I did that twice with my wife and my account before they bought dtv.  Was a nice scam and netted out like +$60 two years in a row.  A lot of people netted nearly the full 200

Now it's just antenna only.  Works fine. Better picture and no weather issues.  Miss Sunday ticket but whatever. 

Need some help here.   When does AT & t or Directv start billing for the early renewal of NFL package???   For instance I started paying "early renewal" around Sept. 2018(6 payments).  Anybody know if this would be for the 2019 season?   Would call them but I'd just get mad at the length of time involved & their ineptitude.

thanx a bunch.

I was disconnected Friday night and called the win back number Saturday morning. 

Xtra package

2 receivers

ST ticket and HBO for one year

Showtime, Cinemax for 3 months

$200 visa

For 90/month

They had all my notes from a previous call and I was on the phone for 30 minutes . I’m sure I could have pushed for more but this worked for me

I didn't feel like going through the battle this year, especially to watch the Dolphins on ST. I just called up today to cancel HBO since there's nothing on right now. I figured maybe they would give it to me free for 6 months or so.

Without even trying, she gave me:

$30 off a month for 12 months

Sunday Ticket

and a $50 loyalty credit. She said she's never seen someone who has been with DTV this long (I started in '95) 

I'll take it!

Tried to make my annual call to DTV to get our credits renewed. 

Current package is XTRA + 4 TV's + Regional Sports.  55/month credit.  Total bill is 113.11

Credit stopped yesterday, so new bill will be 160

Call main customer service line.  She offers me "Choice" (down 1 level I believe), and my bill will only go up to 143.  I explain that I'm getting less channels, but paying 360 more / year.  For someone that has been with you for 13 years, this does not make sense.  She say's "no you've only been with us since 2017".  I ask here for 11 years worth of my payments back then since I've obviously been sending money to you for no reason.  She says this is the best deal that she can offer.  I ask for customer retention.  866-595-1331.

Get a guy (Victor??) who confirms that I've been w/ them since 2007 and appreciates my business.  Appreciates it so much that he's going to give me a 20 credit, but I get to keep my current channel line up.  I give him the wife is not going to be happy, the kids tell me I'm old school and use hulu, youtube, etc.......and we'll think of cancelling.  He said I'll get with my supervisor and get back with you to see if there is anything we can do to keep you as a customer.  How long will this take, and when should I call back and cancel?  

Tried to make my annual call to DTV to get our credits renewed. 

Current package is XTRA + 4 TV's + Regional Sports.  55/month credit.  Total bill is 113.11

Credit stopped yesterday, so new bill will be 160

Call main customer service line.  She offers me "Choice" (down 1 level I believe), and my bill will only go up to 143.  I explain that I'm getting less channels, but paying 360 more / year.  For someone that has been with you for 13 years, this does not make sense.  She say's "no you've only been with us since 2017".  I ask here for 11 years worth of my payments back then since I've obviously been sending money to you for no reason.  She says this is the best deal that she can offer.  I ask for customer retention.  866-595-1331.

Get a guy (Victor??) who confirms that I've been w/ them since 2007 and appreciates my business.  Appreciates it so much that he's going to give me a 20 credit, but I get to keep my current channel line up.  I give him the wife is not going to be happy, the kids tell me I'm old school and use hulu, youtube, etc.......and we'll think of cancelling.  He said I'll get with my supervisor and get back with you to see if there is anything we can do to keep you as a customer.  How long will this take, and when should I call back and cancel?  
I had to go through the full cancel route to get anything more than $20/month off.  Been a paying customer since 1999, but it looks like their call every year model is changing as satellite service is rendered obsolete by streaming services - this could happen more quickly (2021) if DTV doesn't renew the Sunday Ticket deal with the NFL.  I'm afraid they will soon be telling us to either pay full price with insignificant discount or leave.

Saw that AT&T is exploring parting ways with DirecTV in sharp reversal of $49B bet on making it a key piece of their future. 

Users who are viewing this thread