Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
oukurt

Can you negotiate with DirecTV?

13 minutes ago, Sheriff Bart said:

AT&T to lose 1.1 million TV subscribers as DirecTV continues nosedive

:lmao:

And for you folks that did get a deal:

sounds like a brilliant business plan, losing customers to aggressive competition so charge your current customers more to make up the difference. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My discounts ran out today. I've been trying to connect to the loyalty department for an hour and a half without any success. All agents are busy! Unreal!

Called 855-267-4160, got a nice lady named Anahi but when she tried to find my account...no success. Said the system was not working and never had this before. UGH! Told me to call a different number tomorrow a.m. and hopefully will have better luck. Hung up and then tried a number of other phone numbers and always on hold.  Recording says "Thank you for your patience, your call is important to us. Please continue to hold for the next available agent". REALLY...not important if i'm on hold for an hour +. Guess I just give up and try the number tomorrow. 🤬

On 9/6/2019 at 8:15 PM, simsarge said:

How did you get in contact with your OoP?

Go to https://investors.att.com/resources/contacts#customer-service

and select the option for Executive Customer Care Contact and fill out the form. I got a response in a few days. My rep was awesome and gave me confidence there are at least a few competent people who work for them.

anyone able to get any deal on the ST. I have been with DTV for 25 years and have all ways got a deal on the ST. 

2 hours ago, fsufan said:

anyone able to get any deal on the ST. I have been with DTV for 25 years and have all ways got a deal on the ST. 

I was able to get it (non-max) for 1/2 price.  Talked to the customer loyalty department.  Was first offered a credit of $48.99 (which equates to 1/6 of the cost).  Told him I didn't want to pay that much and he was able to offer 2 $48.99 credits.  Said "how about 1/2 price"?  Was told highly unlikely but would check with the back office.  After being on hold for a couple minutes, he came back and offered a credit of $146.97 (which equates to 3 $48.99 credits, which equates to 1/2 price)

So I had my service disconnected and a few days later made the call, because my account was 1 digit shorter than I guess some accounts, they told me I had to talk to a different call center (the call center with Stacy Sumner is the one that said I had to use a different number/center) Anyway, so this is what I ended up getting.

No new contract, 1 new receiver (this brings me to a total of 9, which is a big part of my monthly cost/expense) ST for free (NOT the max though, but I don't care about that) a $200 Visa Card, and I'm on the Entertainment Package and they included the sports package with it. My bill will be $92 a month for the first 2 months, then $102 for the next 4 months then drops to $54 for the last 6 months (its odd how it was structured but I think it had to do with credits given for ST) but anyway its basically paying $916 plus tax for the year and of course I can subtract the $200 gift card from that (which in reality probably covers the taxes).  So I guess paying $75-$80 a month including 9 receivers and ST isn't a bad deal right? 

• Like 1

On 9/12/2019 at 8:54 PM, Binky The Doormat said:

sounds like a brilliant business plan, losing customers to aggressive competition so charge your current customers more to make up the difference. 

I know I sound like DirecTV hater now, but I am grateful for all those years where I was able to negotiate a reasonable price without having to go through so many phone calls (when customer retention was actually a department and not just transfer back into the same queue). Customer retention should have the power to offer more than a 2nd rate pay channel (SHO) for 3 months free (yet bill goes from $45 to $120 without even NFL). /sigh

I really wonder wtf is going on there at DirecTV. My experience in August (after 18 years) was enough to make me say "no more". I did the song and dance and cancelled and got a winback phone number last few years.

This year they said "send us the equipment (dvrs) within 10 days or you will be charged". Last year they said throw the dvrs away or recycle them. What?

I really think someone at DTV came up with a plan to make cancelling as difficult as possible so they would get a large portion of their customers to say "screw it, I'm not climbing behind TVs to get the equipment then boxing it all up and shipping it. It's less time consuming to remain a sub. I will cancel later". I was appalled at 2018's "throw away your equipment it's worthless" compared to 2019's "you have 10 days to ship them back (the same dvrs that were worthless to them in 2018) or your will be charged".

I hated doing that phone call every August. Feels good knowing I don't have to do this anymore. It was always this lingering worry because my bills would go from about $50/mo at most to $120+ and NFL package fees if I did not make the calls.

They want the lazy customers who don't want to deal with smart TVs and subbing to Sling/Hulu and setting up OTA antennas. They know these people have the money and would rather not deal with the hassle. Milking every last penny before satellite TV dies for good and long term negotiating customers are unwanted. Not the best move imo since it costs DTV nothing extra to let my dvrs get the signal, so any monthly bill I pay to them is better than zero and never coming back.

Edited by Runnyb

I don’t want to get into all the details of the calls and time on hold but it was much worse than prior years. Suffice to say once you’ve gotten disconnected and use the WINBACK word, only the Winback Dept. 888-333-0804 can help you, which is great because they answer faster. Other depts say they can help, and you’ve reached the right VIP Dept. but it turns out they can’t.

Ultimate Pkg with 2 TVs 

ST Max Free

HBO Showtime Starz Cinemax 3 months free

$300 Visa gift card. Had to ask to up it from $200. Said he’s never given $300 before.

$50 off per month. They would not go to $60 off. First year I didn’t get at least $60 off.

Bill now $94.12. 

*Need to call to cancel movie channels and ST Max.

• Like 1

So I wrote the email to the executives, telling them that they can kiss my petunias and received the letter telling me to take my stuff to UPS or else. I've been enjoying the SportzTV app (ugly UI asside) for a week plus. Last night, I was tired of watching Syracuse getting thumped, and I figured one last time I'd make the win back call. 

30 minutes and I was up and running again with Choice, STM, 3mos movies and the $200 GC. Like many have said tho, I think I'm done after this one. I would have been a lot happier with the same results a month and dozen phone calls ago 

Can you all scam them like uverse where you can get the gift card and cancel after paying one bill?  I would usually pay three bills though.    I did that twice with my wife and my account before they bought dtv.  Was a nice scam and netted out like +$60 two years in a row.  A lot of people netted nearly the full 200

Now it's just antenna only.  Works fine. Better picture and no weather issues.  Miss Sunday ticket but whatever. 

I was told I would get a piece os mail to claim the $200 GC and it came yesterday.

Need some help here.   When does AT & t or Directv start billing for the early renewal of NFL package???   For instance I started paying "early renewal" around Sept. 2018(6 payments).  Anybody know if this would be for the 2019 season?   Would call them but I'd just get mad at the length of time involved & their ineptitude.

thanx a bunch.

They better hope they get this ESPN deal done.

I was disconnected Friday night and called the win back number Saturday morning. 

Xtra package

2 receivers

ST ticket and HBO for one year

Showtime, Cinemax for 3 months

$200 visa

For 90/month

They had all my notes from a previous call and I was on the phone for 30 minutes . I’m sure I could have pushed for more but this worked for me

I didn't feel like going through the battle this year, especially to watch the Dolphins on ST. I just called up today to cancel HBO since there's nothing on right now. I figured maybe they would give it to me free for 6 months or so.

Without even trying, she gave me:

$30 off a month for 12 months

Sunday Ticket

and a $50 loyalty credit. She said she's never seen someone who has been with DTV this long (I started in '95) 

I'll take it!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Getzlaf15 said:

I was told I would get a piece os mail to claim the $200 GC and it came yesterday.

I was told my gc was sent 9/3 and haven't seen anything yet.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 2:03 PM, Getzlaf15 said:

I was told the same but got an email instead.

How many days before your GC’s showed up at the AT&T Reward Center? 

Edited by Johnny Rock

Tried to make my annual call to DTV to get our credits renewed. 

Current package is XTRA + 4 TV's + Regional Sports.  55/month credit.  Total bill is 113.11

Credit stopped yesterday, so new bill will be 160

Call main customer service line.  She offers me "Choice" (down 1 level I believe), and my bill will only go up to 143.  I explain that I'm getting less channels, but paying 360 more / year.  For someone that has been with you for 13 years, this does not make sense.  She say's "no you've only been with us since 2017".  I ask here for 11 years worth of my payments back then since I've obviously been sending money to you for no reason.  She says this is the best deal that she can offer.  I ask for customer retention.  866-595-1331.

Get a guy (Victor??) who confirms that I've been w/ them since 2007 and appreciates my business.  Appreciates it so much that he's going to give me a 20 credit, but I get to keep my current channel line up.  I give him the wife is not going to be happy, the kids tell me I'm old school and use hulu, youtube, etc.......and we'll think of cancelling.  He said I'll get with my supervisor and get back with you to see if there is anything we can do to keep you as a customer.  How long will this take, and when should I call back and cancel?  

8 minutes ago, russinfortworth said:

Tried to make my annual call to DTV to get our credits renewed. 

Current package is XTRA + 4 TV's + Regional Sports.  55/month credit.  Total bill is 113.11

Credit stopped yesterday, so new bill will be 160

Call main customer service line.  She offers me "Choice" (down 1 level I believe), and my bill will only go up to 143.  I explain that I'm getting less channels, but paying 360 more / year.  For someone that has been with you for 13 years, this does not make sense.  She say's "no you've only been with us since 2017".  I ask here for 11 years worth of my payments back then since I've obviously been sending money to you for no reason.  She says this is the best deal that she can offer.  I ask for customer retention.  866-595-1331.

Get a guy (Victor??) who confirms that I've been w/ them since 2007 and appreciates my business.  Appreciates it so much that he's going to give me a 20 credit, but I get to keep my current channel line up.  I give him the wife is not going to be happy, the kids tell me I'm old school and use hulu, youtube, etc.......and we'll think of cancelling.  He said I'll get with my supervisor and get back with you to see if there is anything we can do to keep you as a customer.  How long will this take, and when should I call back and cancel?  

I had to go through the full cancel route to get anything more than $20/month off.  Been a paying customer since 1999, but it looks like their call every year model is changing as satellite service is rendered obsolete by streaming services - this could happen more quickly (2021) if DTV doesn't renew the Sunday Ticket deal with the NFL.  I'm afraid they will soon be telling us to either pay full price with insignificant discount or leave.

Saw that AT&T is exploring parting ways with DirecTV in sharp reversal of $49B bet on making it a key piece of their future. 

Mine shut off 9/17. Set up an appointment with Dish for installation on 9/26. Hoping the boxes will arrive in the meantime with a "special offer" flyer but if not- it's been a good run.

30 minutes ago, headcrack said:

Mine shut off 9/17. Set up an appointment with Dish for installation on 9/26. Hoping the boxes will arrive in the meantime with a "special offer" flyer but if not- it's been a good run.

Why wouldn't you just call back today and say you got a winback email.   I've gotten the boxes the other years and nothing was in them anyways.

Christ I still have to call in lol

25 minutes ago, mozzy84 said:

Why wouldn't you just call back today and say you got a winback email.   I've gotten the boxes the other years and nothing was in them anyways.

Christ I still have to call in lol

I got an email right after I posted. You don't even get boxes now - you just have to bring the receiver to a UPS store and they take it from there. I've been trying every number in this thread but they're offering nothing. I had nothing but trouble with them last year and I'm sure they're done with me at this point. I'll try one last time before I unplug it all and send it back.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, headcrack said:

I got an email right after I posted. You don't even get boxes now - you just have to bring the receiver to a UPS store and they take it from there. I've been trying every number in this thread but they're offering nothing. I had nothing but trouble with them last year and I'm sure they're done with me at this point. I'll try one last time before I unplug it all and send it back.

Feel your pain. Disconnected the same day and I've tried 4 numbers from here and they say there is nothing available for me.

Last year was the best year for me as far as deals.

I may try once more tomorrow, but I think the  ride is over.

Got an offer from Dish with a gift card and free red zone so I guess 17 years was a good run.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2019 at 12:31 PM, yellowdog said:

How long did it take to get the gift card for your credit balance?

Around 3 weeks I think.

Got the first statement after renewing, and it was missing $40 of the $55/mo credit.  Called & they said it was clearly "in the notes" and should have been applied & will be sorted in 5-7 days & they will call or email when it is sorted.  In the meantime, I only have a $15/mo credit for this month and then $40/mo for 1 year will start next month (which will end 2 mos after I cancel next year - so there is that to deal with).

I did the $200 gift card today, and they have already credited my account for the other $100 (was offered a $300 gift card).

Definitely taking more calls this year to get it all straightened out this year.

On the bright side, I should have only one more call to request a one time credit of $40 for this month, then another call to cancel the movie channels - and I discovered I am under no contract (not the 1 year contract I thought I had).

So far they have delivered on everything they have promised, and I have had to babysit them every step of the way.

On 9/17/2019 at 4:28 PM, apalmer said:

I was told my gc was sent 9/3 and haven't seen anything yet.

What number did you call to confirm when it was sent. 

12 minutes ago, dancingbones said:

Got the first statement after renewing, and it was missing $40 of the $55/mo credit.  Called & they said it was clearly "in the notes" and should have been applied & will be sorted in 5-7 days & they will call or email when it is sorted.  In the meantime, I only have a $15/mo credit for this month and then $40/mo for 1 year will start next month (which will end 2 mos after I cancel next year - so there is that to deal with).

I did the $200 gift card today, and they have already credited my account for the other $100 (was offered a $300 gift card).

Definitely taking more calls this year to get it all straightened out this year.

On the bright side, I should have only one more call to request a one time credit of $40 for this month, then another call to cancel the movie channels - and I discovered I am under no contract (not the 1 year contract I thought I had).

So far they have delivered on everything they have promised, and I have had to babysit them every step of the way.

How many weeks did it take for GC to come?

8 hours ago, Gottabesweet said:

What number did you call to confirm when it was sent. 

I did the internet chat. Advantage is I have a transcript I was able to save.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, apalmer said:

I did the internet chat. Advantage is I have a transcript I was able to save.

Everytime I ever try that it’s a 30+ min wait and I give up. 

I keep getting emails to call and come back even though I already did.

Read an article that ATT fired an exec that wasn't interested enough or moving fast enough to unload DirecTV. Speculation was the regulatory environment is such now that they could get an approval of a merger or sale to Dish. Problem is Dish is smaller. Would be similar to the Sirius XM merger.

13 hours ago, dancingbones said:

They keep flim-flamming me on a credit for Sunday Ticket where they charged me for the first installment(48.99). It's taken 4 chats and still not resolved. It was supposed to be done immediately, then the next week, then on the next monthly bill - now I still have to wait for the next monthly bill. And since I was on autopay it went through on the higher bill. Each time its a different excuse. Then had to spend 45 minutes on phone asking where my GC was at - all throughout this the reps act as if they are doing me a favor. "So glad I could fix this for you!" They are so effin clueless. I wish the NFL had some other alternative to get the games I want.

2 hours ago, cap'n grunge said:

Same here.  

Gotta love these guys. Disconnection went through 9/17. Got email, called the number in the email, listened to the offer and turned it down. This morning get another email saying service had been disconnected 9/19. No big deal, right? A couple of hours later, I get a bill for the period of 9/19 - 10/18 for $204 (premiere pkg w/no discounts.) Call them back at the same number, guy transfers me to the lowest depths of "customer service" where I finally get it confirmed that they fixed the problem. For some reason, I have no faith.  All I can figure is the guy last night must have reactivated the account to look for discounts and that somehow screwed everything up. Now I just have to wait until 10/3 to see if they debit my account because I can't log in to delete my checking acct. info. Also - I still have TV. WTF???

4 hours ago, cap'n grunge said:

Read an article that ATT fired an exec that wasn't interested enough or moving fast enough to unload DirecTV. Speculation was the regulatory environment is such now that they could get an approval of a merger or sale to Dish. Problem is Dish is smaller. Would be similar to the Sirius XM merger.

3 minutes ago, headcrack said:

Gotta love these guys. Disconnection went through 9/17. Got email, called the number in the email, listened to the offer and turned it down. This morning get another email saying service had been disconnected 9/19. No big deal, right? A couple of hours later, I get a bill for the period of 9/19 - 10/18 for $204 (premiere pkg w/no discounts.) Call them back at the same number, guy transfers me to the lowest depths of "customer service" where I finally get it confirmed that they fixed the problem. For some reason, I have no faith.  All I can figure is the guy last night must have reactivated the account to look for discounts and that somehow screwed everything up. Now I just have to wait until 10/3 to see if they debit my account because I can't log in to delete my checking acct. info. Also - I still have TV. WTF???

STILL not a single communication trying to get me back. WTF?!!! DTV   :lmao:

As someone who left, I'm doing okay with my Roku.  Its not the same as DirecTV but I just watch all the free stuff. I haven't gotten any paid services.  LOL

I am going to likely try to set up some streaming that was posted earlier in this thread.  I just haven't had a moment with work and kids.

So, I cancelled partway through the month and they still left me charged for the entire month for at least 30-45 days.  Then I eventually got credit for the time of the month that I had cancelled.  So if you cancel, I recommend you wait a while before you pay any balance.

Finally, I sent back my boxes and they still charged me.  I got on the chat and the woman confirmed the boxes were received and the charges were going to be credited in 5 days. 

I'm starting to wonder if they put all these charges out there and those with autopay (which I never do), just get hit and DirecTV hopes they won't complain?

Regardless, good riddance DirecTV.

18 hours ago, Gottabesweet said:

How many weeks did it take for GC to come?

For me it was almost exactly 1 month from when I agreed to the winback offer.

On 9/20/2019 at 4:07 PM, headcrack said:

Update. I got yet another sorry to see you go email yesterday with a number to call for a "great offer." I call and end up with the usual free ST Max, $200 gift card and 2 credits totaling $59/ mo. off for a year w/ no commitment. Even got the exact amount I would be billed from the rep. This morning I get my statement and it has the $5 credit bot not the $54. I called and spent almost an hour getting ESL'd,  disconnected, transferred etc. before I finally just gave up. Went to the website and the chat appears to be disabled. It seems impossible to actually get someone who can actually help. I should have known better since I went through a similar hassle last year but the deep discounts I ended up getting for that actually had me foolishly forgiving them. Guess I'll try the BBB next. Maybe that will get their attention?

On 9/20/2019 at 3:12 PM, SteelCurtain said:

As someone who left, I'm doing okay with my Roku.  Its not the same as DirecTV but I just watch all the free stuff. I haven't gotten any paid services.  LOL

I am going to likely try to set up some streaming that was posted earlier in this thread.  I just haven't had a moment with work and kids.

So, I cancelled partway through the month and they still left me charged for the entire month for at least 30-45 days.  Then I eventually got credit for the time of the month that I had cancelled.  So if you cancel, I recommend you wait a while before you pay any balance.

Finally, I sent back my boxes and they still charged me.  I got on the chat and the woman confirmed the boxes were received and the charges were going to be credited in 5 days. 

I'm starting to wonder if they put all these charges out there and those with autopay (which I never do), just get hit and DirecTV hopes they won't complain?

Regardless, good riddance DirecTV.

Give YouTube TV a try. Really good, IMO, with an excellent interface.

got my card today - it was a little over 3 weeks I think ...pretty quick really.

also got a notice that yet another local channel holding company wants more money and we're going to lose our ABC affliliate ...####.  

I really don't want to mess with an antennae, but guess I may have to

5 hours ago, Binky The Doormat said:

got my card today - it was a little over 3 weeks I think ...pretty quick really.

also got a notice that yet another local channel holding company wants more money and we're going to lose our ABC affliliate ...####.  

I really don't want to mess with an antennae, but guess I may have to

How long did it take for the card to show up in the Rewards Center?

1 minute ago, Johnny Rock said:

How long did it take for the card to show up in the Rewards Center?

Can't remember for sure - but maybe a couple of weeks 

• Thanks 1

I've seen all of the issues with local channels possibly being dropped due to disagreements with the broadcast companies that own the local stations. This morning we wake up and 2 of our 3 TVs aren't getting any local channels. The 2 not receiving the channels are both SD receivers while the HD receiver is getting the channels on HD but not the SD channels. Call the regular 800 customer service # and get the canned speech about negotiations with companies owning local stations. Explain that isn't the problem since it is more than 1 local channel involved and we are getting all of them on HD channels but not SD channels. Rep gives me a new number call for tech support. Give that number a call, go through the whole explanation again, they ask if I've tried disconnecting receivers and other troubleshooting solutions. Tell them yes and they give me another number for tech support. Call that number, explain once again what is happening, and the rep says yes, we know about it, it is a software problem affecting SD receivers and channels, we will let you know when it is fixed.

First, why couldn't that message be given as soon as I called in, either by the rep or by a recorded message? Second, why is it still an issue over 12 hours later? Just unbelievable!

This company I tell you...

In earlier posts, I documented my saga this year which involved an executive complaint, BBB complaint and too many calls to mention. Got the standard 40ish percent discount, free ST max, movie channels and $200 GC. Had trouble with my GC redemption and they said it was taking a while this year for some reason so they could either escalate it to some department or supervisor or just give me an extra $200 credit on my bill and be done. Since I didn't want to do any more waiting, I took the $200 credit. Got a confirmation e-mail shortly after and logged into my account and it was on there.

Yesterday while I'm at work my wife sends me a picture saying "Look what came!" and lo and behold, it was as $200 gift card from them. 😂 I went through the activation process wary that it would be canceled or something but worked just fine. So in addition to the $200 credit they still sent me an extra $200 GC. Given the fact that I had to go scorched earth on them and waste countless hours of time on the phone and writing e-mails, I'll call this extra - and very rare - gift from them even.

• Like 2

I contacted Directv to check on the status of my refund of my credit balance. After 35 minutes, all I can say is, I'm glad I switched to Dish. Still don't know if/when I'll get my refund. :doh:

I am with Direct in Montana and we have lost our local ABC and FOX channels and I heard NBC may be next.  Is this happening elsewhere or is it a regional thing?  If the wife can't get her Grey's Anatomy I may be cancelling for real this time regardless of what they throw at me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, yellowdog said:

I contacted Directv to check on the status of my refund of my credit balance. After 35 minutes, all I can say is, I'm glad I switched to Dish. Still don't know if/when I'll get my refund. :doh:

Wait until Dish and DirecTV merge. :excited:

• Sad 1