What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (3 Viewers)

Just called. Awaiting the supervisor to call back to process my “deal”

Went from $74 a month (3 TVs) to $105 for the same programming Choice Extra All included. 

$100 GC (4 weeks to come) 

Sunday Ticket Max

HBO for 12 months 

Showtime 3 months (Declined as it doesn’t auto fall off. Not my responsibility to remove it )

Also hinted that after I can try getting more promotions by calling the regular line regarding the COVID discount (6 months) 

Sounds about right. Now the question is how good of promos can we get added on. I think the winback team might be able to add discounts, too. 

Sounds about right. Now the question is how good of promos can we get added on. I think the winback team might be able to add discounts, too. 
Already chaos. Loyalty number 866-595-2871 added me $50 for 6 month credit. Great. Except that makes my bill $73 for 6 months.  I go I was quoted $103 Plus tax earlier. They believe me but saying Winback says $118.92 plus tax. So after 6 months I can try to get the back half lowered if I want but likely don’t want to add credits on for 12 months then.  

Because I like scratching my eyeballs out with glass talking to them, I’ll likely call winback number tonight and see what else I can get.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Just called. Awaiting the supervisor to call back to process my “deal”

Went from $74 a month (3 TVs) to $105 for the same programming Choice Extra All included. 

$100 GC (4 weeks to come) 

Sunday Ticket Max

HBO for 12 months 

Showtime 3 months (Declined as it doesn’t auto fall off. Not my responsibility to remove it )

Also hinted that after I can try getting more promotions by calling the regular line regarding the COVID discount (6 months) 

yeah ...having to mud wrestle to "only" get a $30/month increase is a much tougher slugfest than prior years.  

yeah ...having to mud wrestle to "only" get a $30/month increase is a much tougher slugfest than prior years.  
Was able to get $50 off 6 months but this gets added to their miss quote.  I’m still at about $200 of their mess ups. 

$105 quoted.  6 month covid discount puts me at $55 for 6 months then $105 for next. 

However they think they quoted $125 then with the covid discount $75 for six months then $125 after. 

made sure I confirmed the amount multiple times with the rep and supervisor. How that gets applied incorrectly is beyond me.  

Was able to get $50 off 6 months but this gets added to their miss quote.  I’m still at about $200 of their mess ups. 

$105 quoted.  6 month covid discount puts me at $55 for 6 months then $105 for next. 

However they think they quoted $125 then with the covid discount $75 for six months then $125 after. 

made sure I confirmed the amount multiple times with the rep and supervisor. How that gets applied incorrectly is beyond me.  
that's pretty confusing man - but that has clearly been their plan for years ...as bad as cellular billing ...or worse

that's pretty confusing man - but that has clearly been their plan for years ...as bad as cellular billing ...or worse
Yep. Their plan has always been to confuse the unintelligent and it works for many many people. 

called back Winback. Upgraded to $200 gift card. So now I’m about $100 short of what I was quoted.  They forgot to tell me about the regional sports fee $9.99 a month. Both the rep and supervisor then add it to my account. Very shady. 

Whats the better business website? 

Embarrassing how long this took. Called back Loyalty. Got to a supervisor (super nice there) They noticed I was being charged for HBO. Removed it don’t care. 

$44 plus tax for one month ($10 credit one time plus $50 off 6 Covid)

$54 plus tax for 5 months (Covid Bill)

Then $104 for last 6 months. 

Sunday Ticket max

$100 GC plus another so they say. $200. We’ll see. 

Exhausting but my family likes it and the Sports packages we use.  

I'll get into what happened to me with this garbage company over the last few months after telling me one thing in December. Total disaster 

I called to cancel DTv and Uverse internet last week (cutting the cord, so not with the intention of getting a rate reduction).  Went straight to customer loyalty, and I was off the phone within a few minutes.  I've been a customer for a long time and they made zero attempt to keep me.  No comments about how they are sorry to see me go, or questions as to why I'm cancelling, or offers to try to keep me as a customer.  Just :bye: .  Which given the circumstance was fine by me, but I just found their lack of concern for customer retention to be interesting.  Or, maybe there was a flag on my account to get rid of me at the earliest opportunity :lmao:  

We got a mailer addressed to my wife last week.  Here's the details of the offer if anyone wants to reference it during "the call." (It's essentially a new customer offer as the service is in my name).

Select Package $49.99 (Choice $59.99, XTRA $69.99) for 12 months (fine print says 24-month agreement w/qualifying wireless service)

Free HD DVR upgrade

3 months of Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, Epix (will not auto-cancel)

$200 gift card

The two higher packages come with Sunday Ticket (no indication if it's MAX)

For the record, I called yesterday and told the representative I wanted to keep my bill where it was or lower (Choice package, 4 total receivers, 4K receiver).  My last bill was around $90.00.  Rep offered $55 off for 12 months, essentially lowering my bill by $25 as a $30 monthly credit is falling off.  Already getting Sunday Ticket MAX free per an email earlier this year, so I took it and will keep the wife happy for another year.

We got a mailer addressed to my wife last week.  Here's the details of the offer if anyone wants to reference it during "the call." (It's essentially a new customer offer as the service is in my name).

Select Package $49.99 (Choice $59.99, XTRA $69.99) for 12 months (fine print says 24-month agreement w/qualifying wireless service)

Free HD DVR upgrade

3 months of Cinemax, Showtime, Starz, Epix (will not auto-cancel)

$200 gift card

The two higher packages come with Sunday Ticket (no indication if it's MAX)

For the record, I called yesterday and told the representative I wanted to keep my bill where it was or lower (Choice package, 4 total receivers, 4K receiver).  My last bill was around $90.00.  Rep offered $55 off for 12 months, essentially lowering my bill by $25 as a $30 monthly credit is falling off.  Already getting Sunday Ticket MAX free per an email earlier this year, so I took it and will keep the wife happy for another year.
What phone number did you use?

Update. Went to claim my gift cards which they said 24 hours they’ll appear. Nothing. Will check in a few days. 🤣
update: In typical Directv style, on Saturday they didn't add my free premiums. Used "customer service" internet chat option on Sunday and got an agent who promised to correct it. After about an hour, she decided she couldn't do it and said she was referring to her supervisor who would call me. He called and said the dept. he needed to talk to wasn't in on Sunday (really?) but that he would call me on Monday to correct. Of course, he never called. I went back to customer service chat on Tuesday (tip: if you use the chat instead of calling, you can download a transcript of the chat to prove what was said later). Got a new agent who said he would handle it. Twenty minutes later my premium channels populate. Agent pats himself on the back and we're done. Woke up this morning to an email from DTV showing my new monthly charges increased by $50+ per month for the premiums. Back to the chat and got another agent who was able to correct the charges, but ended up with a bill $3 per month more than I had agreed to on Saturday. When I pointed out the issue, and indicated that I should somehow be reimbursed for 4 days of frustration, he offered a $10 credit. When I said that was insulting, he kicked me up to his supervisor. Supervisor said they had done all they could do and if I wanted anything else I should go through the loyalty dept. then literally hung up the chat in my face.  Called the loyalty dept. and gave them the story. Rather than try to correct the $3 error, she just offered the "covid" credit of $40/mo. for 6 months.  Tons of frustration, but end result is Choice Plan for 4 tvs is $69/mo. for 3 mos., $66/mo. for 3 mos., then $106/mo. for the next 6 (the $3 charge from the "free" premiums will disappear when I drop them). Finally have the free premiums and loyalty dept. confirmed free ST Max and $100 Visa card. Sure glad I retired in December so I had enough time to pursue them.

Current bill - Xtra pkg $131/2 add'l TVs $14/region sports $9.13 = $154.13 (bill w/out discounts applied)

Discounts - RSN $2/Xtra pkg $64/Price Guarantee $7 - $73 total discounts/Super Ticket Max included

Net bill with tax:  $86.95

Retention Deal Today ...decided to just say screw it

Service and price is the same as above w/out discounts - $154.13

Discounts - $70 (no idea how it gets broken down)/Super Ticket Max included (and the 6 mo. HBO thrown-in)

Net bill with tax:  $89.93 

ETA:  12 mo. discount - total time on this call 20 min.

Now ...let's see what I really end up with after I see the next bill - fingers crossed.

The last several years I took it all the way through disconnect and got a $200 GC and Showtime for 3 mo. along with the 6 mo. HBO ...just didn't want to go through it again for basically $200.  If they hose this up ...I may drop and re-up.  

Note:  I called the 888-333-0804 and wasted 15 minutes ...lady couldn't even pull up my bill.  She gave me this retention number 866-595-1331 and the guy picked up right away ...no queue.   

That's the thing, the amount of time it takes for it all to work out is just not worth it to me.  If it's not one thing, it truly is another.  The constant monitoring of your own account for money being siphoned is this endless revolving door of bull#### tricks and schemes.  If you're not good with the phone dance, they get you.  Don't check your bill enough, they get you.  Forget to follow up, they get you.  Hell, even when you do those things you shouldn't have to be doing, they still try and get you.   

It's infuriating to think about the measures they'll take to wear you down and grab as much of your money as possible.  Good grief.  But now, with cutting the cord SO easy, even this dinosaur transitioned, yep!  No problems whatsoever, super easy.  

AT&T DirecTV got me to the point of not wanting to give them another dollar on principle alone.  And that takes me a LONG time.

I tried adding additional discounts to my deal through winback and loyalty department to no avail. Looks like you either got to call back right away or wait a bit. I'm apparently in the but-we-already-gave-you-these-discounts zone.

I've been getting an almost daily phone call from someone claiming to be from AT&T saying that our account has been selected to receive discounted rates and that all I have to do is call the number that appears on my caller ID. This is a scam right? If it was legit they would actually give me a call back number, wouldn't they? Plus the number that shows on caller ID seems to change every time they call. I would normally write this off and just ignore it but after being selected to receive Sunday Ticket Max this year for free without even asking for it I feel like it might be possible to also receive an offer from AT&T to receive discounts.

I've been getting an almost daily phone call from someone claiming to be from AT&T saying that our account has been selected to receive discounted rates and that all I have to do is call the number that appears on my caller ID. This is a scam right? If it was legit they would actually give me a call back number, wouldn't they? Plus the number that shows on caller ID seems to change every time they call. I would normally write this off and just ignore it but after being selected to receive Sunday Ticket Max this year for free without even asking for it I feel like it might be possible to also receive an offer from AT&T to receive discounts.
Most likely. Also got a couple calls different numbers claiming to be DirecTV about 50 percent off offer plus premium channels. They make sure to tell you to call them back at the number they are calling from. That's the obvious clue that it's a scam.

Most likely. Also got a couple calls different numbers claiming to be DirecTV about 50 percent off offer plus premium channels. They make sure to tell you to call them back at the number they are calling from. That's the obvious clue that it's a scam.
I've never been so happy to be out from under them and have been happy with Spectrum. I know :lmao:  

But it's true. TV and Internet package tough to beat pricewise

Locked in Dish for 2 years, including Redzone (really only need that, not the full ticket).  Pretty sure after this year, assuming no NFL, I can talk them into a 3rd year.  No service issues, got free channels the last several months.  SO happy to be away from DTV.

Dropped off my DirecTV crap at the UPS store.  The girl went right to work on sorting and documenting the process.  She knew everything, so I asked why.  She said they get people returning their stuff all the time.  She said they're always complaining about the DirecTV hangover.  Pretty funny.

Anyway, one of the boxes had no bar code / info underneath.  I know for a fact I did not touch that thing so the tech must've delivered it without one.  Anyway, I had to go home and get on the horn with them to find out the serial number.  Took forever.  And then THIS happened today:  I was billed for a new billing cycle. 

Apparently when I called to get the info for the box I was returning, they tried to get me to stay (first time they tried, btw, didn't happen with the cancellation process, not once).  All I can guess is the agent put in another cancellation (or re-up'ed me during the phone call thinking I would do it, then cancelled?) and now I am being charged an additional $254. So I received a NEW cancellation notice via email.  This, after the cancellation/email I received almost two weeks ago.  WHAT A JOKE.

So now I will have to spend I don't know how much time on the phone sorting out yet another DirecTV #### up.  100% their fault.  Getting this money back is going to be a nightmare, especially now that I'm no longer a customer. 

Shouldn't be legal, and I'm convinced they know exactly what they're doing.  They have SO many schemes to wear customers down and keep/take their money, it's unreal.

Dropped off my DirecTV crap at the UPS store.  The girl went right to work on sorting and documenting the process.  She knew everything, so I asked why.  She said they get people returning their stuff all the time.  She said they're always complaining about the DirecTV hangover.  Pretty funny.

Anyway, one of the boxes had no bar code / info underneath.  I know for a fact I did not touch that thing so the tech must've delivered it without one.  Anyway, I had to go home and get on the horn with them to find out the serial number.  Took forever.  And then THIS happened today:  I was billed for a new billing cycle. 

Apparently when I called to get the info for the box I was returning, they tried to get me to stay (first time they tried, btw, didn't happen with the cancellation process, not once).  All I can guess is the agent put in another cancellation (or re-up'ed me during the phone call thinking I would do it, then cancelled?) and now I am being charged an additional $254. So I received a NEW cancellation notice via email.  This, after the cancellation/email I received almost two weeks ago.  WHAT A JOKE.

So now I will have to spend I don't know how much time on the phone sorting out yet another DirecTV #### up.  100% their fault.  Getting this money back is going to be a nightmare, especially now that I'm no longer a customer. 

Shouldn't be legal, and I'm convinced they know exactly what they're doing.  They have SO many schemes to wear customers down and keep/take their money, it's unreal.
Their policy is even if you cancel one day into your next month, you get charged for the whole month, no prorated bill. It's an effing bs money-grab.

Locked in Dish for 2 years, including Redzone (really only need that, not the full ticket).  Pretty sure after this year, assuming no NFL, I can talk them into a 3rd year.  No service issues, got free channels the last several months.  SO happy to be away from DTV.
I recently read that, in June, Dish Network dropped NFL network and Redzone due to a dispute with NFL. I have SlingTV (which is owned by Dish) so not sure what I will do to watch redzone. Hoping they work something out before season starts...

if this has already been covered - sorry. Also if there is different post about ways to watch redzone without directv. I have no plans to get DirecTV though!

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/18/nfl-network-nfl-redzone-dropped-from-dish-network-sling-tv/

Their policy is even if you cancel one day into your next month, you get charged for the whole month, no prorated bill. It's an effing bs money-grab.
Which is why I cancelled two weeks ago, well before my "deadline".  And my TV was turned off days later. 

It was only after this recent call (to find out about the serial number on the box before I sent it back) was I then "cancelled" a second time, for no reason (I was not subscribed).

Which is why I cancelled two weeks ago, well before my "deadline".  And my TV was turned off days later. 

It was only after this recent call (to find out about the serial number on the box before I sent it back) was I then "cancelled" a second time, for no reason (I was not subscribed).
BS Money-grab, they suck

Cancelled on 8/2. Received a new statement of $0 on 8/7.  Said "Sorry to lose you as a customer".

Also says "Equipment Return instructions will arrive via email or postal mail within 2-4 days.". Here we are 9 days later and haven't received anything in the mail or email regarding what to do with my old equipment. Is that normal?

Cancelled on 8/2. Received a new statement of $0 on 8/7.  Said "Sorry to lose you as a customer".

Also says "Equipment Return instructions will arrive via email or postal mail within 2-4 days.". Here we are 9 days later and haven't received anything in the mail or email regarding what to do with my old equipment. Is that normal?
Got my instructions the day I cancelled, well before the service was cut off.  Bottom line: take your receivers to a UPS store.

I've been a DTV subscriber since 2005. Every year I call up and do the "I'm not sure I can afford Sunday Ticket anymore" dance. I dread it. On Saturday I called the 866-595-2871 number someone listed here. Got right in. The first guy spent a few minutes "looking up offers" and said he couldn't find anything. Then he says, "Actually, I can get you Sunday Ticket Max for no charge." I asked whether he meant just the Max upgrade, or the whole package. He said the whole package. Then *click* phone call ended. I called back and got a woman rep. I told her what just happened. She said she didn't see that offer for me, but said she could do the $60 off for 12 months loyalty offer (same one I got a year ago). I took it. I got the confirmation email that it was on my bill.

Finally cancelled my DirecTV service after being a subscriber for at least 15 years. Felt so good to make the call. Now i need to re-confirm the cancel in a few days and make sure they don't try to screw me on the way out the door. I'm done as of Aug 26 - so happy.

Canceled DTV over a year ago and switched back to cable.  The guide and DVR is the worst.  Mrs. SLB hates them.  The price was right though until I got this month's bill and there was an increase of $30. 

I really don't want to go back to DTV.  Maybe Youtube TV?  Somebody help an old please. TIA

Canceled DTV over a year ago and switched back to cable.  The guide and DVR is the worst.  Mrs. SLB hates them.  The price was right though until I got this month's bill and there was an increase of $30. 

I really don't want to go back to DTV.  Maybe Youtube TV?  Somebody help an old please. TIA
Take it from an old that resists change A LOT.  DO IT.  Youtube.  I have Apple TV as well.  The remote will make your wife happy.  Whole thing's a breeze.  And knowing you are month to month and done with all the BS feels surprisingly good for some reason.

Careful with the timeline for return.  I was told it was 10 days is all.  They do that because they know many won't get it done.  Then more charges come in.

Ends up my equipment was old (which they 100% knew already), and so it didn't need to be returned.  I was told (from a different rep) after the fact, of course.  So they had me go through the return process just in hopes of not getting a return or a partial return.  Then they're able to try and charge their customers one more time on the way out the door.  Typical MO/BS.

It really shouldn't be legal, the types of practices they employ.

Take it from an old that resists change A LOT.  DO IT.  Youtube.  The whole thing's a breeze.  I have Apple TV as well.  The remote will make your wife happy.  Whole thing's a breeze.  And knowing you are month to month and done with all the BS feels surprisingly good for some reason.
Perfect, thanks!

I'm going with YouTubeTV (primarily because Hulu Live doesn't have the MLB Network) and also supplementing it with the Disney+/Hulu/Espn+ pacakage. I've discovered it really is easy.

$85/mo all in. Compared to $160 with DTV.

Users who are viewing this thread