What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (3 Viewers)

'TobiasFunke said:
'The Z Machine said:
No comments on the "rain fade" issue? Is this common?
Hard to say how common it is, but it's not uncommon. We never lose our feed during a normal rainstorm, but sometimes we do in heavy rain or snow.It happens to us a lot less since we had a guy come out and realign our dish. We did that because our second feed was kinda spotty but it ended up also making everything more consistent and less vulnerable to error.Unfortunately to some degree it's unavoidable, though. That's why they pay so much for Sunday Ticket rights and cling to them for dear life- because that's the only thing keeping DirecTV from being obsolete.
Did you lose signal during the very brief thunderstorms that came through in the last few days? Is there a way to improve this, or even check for the susceptibility? Should I call DTV and ##### at them for the rain fade twice in the first 2 days (and only time we've had rain)?

I posted what I said in the Shark Pool version of this thread for anyone uncomfortable with haggling who wants an example to work from.

Ended up with free Sunday Ticket and $20 off for 12 months.

'TobiasFunke said:
'The Z Machine said:
Hard to say how common it is, but it's not uncommon. We never lose our feed during a normal rainstorm, but sometimes we do in heavy rain or snow.It happens to us a lot less since we had a guy come out and realign our dish. We did that because our second feed was kinda spotty but it ended up also making everything more consistent and less vulnerable to error.Unfortunately to some degree it's unavoidable, though. That's why they pay so much for Sunday Ticket rights and cling to them for dear life- because that's the only thing keeping DirecTV from being obsolete.
Did you lose signal during the very brief thunderstorms that came through in the last few days? Is there a way to improve this, or even check for the susceptibility? Should I call DTV and ##### at them for the rain fade twice in the first 2 days (and only time we've had rain)?
It has not been too much of an issue for me... not so much because it does not happen... pretty much a given if a thunderstorm rolls through there is a 50/50 chance of a short disconnect in service.... but because when I had Comcast I had just as many interruptions as I do through the year but they would last much longer. Also, I had much more distortions with Comcast than I ever have had with DirecTV. Pretty much with me thunderstorms are the only problem. I do not recall it going out on heavy snowfall and really if there is heavy rain out here then it is a thunderstorm so I don't know if there is a big difference. Seems to always go out right around the time of a big lighting strike though- so I assume that is connected.

'TobiasFunke said:
'The Z Machine said:
I haven't lost my signal in a few months, but it's usually a very local thing. When I have lost the signal in the past it returns as soon as the storm moves through my immediate area- sometimes it's still coming down like crazy just a mile or two away according to the radar.

I called and got $20 off for 6 months. No free Sunday Ticket. They said to call back next month when the NHL package shows up on my bill to see what they can do then. Guess I'll try for more later on.

I called and got $20 off for 6 months. No free Sunday Ticket. They said to call back next month when the NHL package shows up on my bill to see what they can do then. Guess I'll try for more later on.
Call back and say you just saw you could get redzone channel on dish network for $7 a month and tell them you're going to switch. They'll give you redzone channel for free for sure.

Call back and say you just saw you could get redzone channel on dish network for $7 a month and tell them you're going to switch. They'll give you redzone channel for free for sure.
do you have pay extra for crap like HD and red zone channel? I thought I was already getting that stuff.

do you have pay extra for crap like HD and red zone channel? I thought I was already getting that stuff.
Oh, so you're getting the sunday ticket?

yeah. instead of 6 payments of $54, I'm paying 6 payments of $34 for it. saved $120 off the cost and brought it down to about $200 total.:shrug:some people in here seemed to be getting Free Sunday Ticket AND money off on top of it. I guess I didn't threaten to quit hard enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah. instead of 6 payments of $54, I'm paying 6 payments of $34 for it. saved $120 off the cost and brought it down to about $200 total. :shrug:
gotcha. yeah. I think if you already ordered it they can't comp it or something like that. either way, call back and demand free stuff. I think if you use the phrases "times are tough" and "dish network" they pretty much just give you everything. Maybe they'll give you college football gameplan.

Holy crap...just called....couldn't be happier with the results!! First attempt got Mauricio...best he could do it 1/2 off Ticket and $15 off 24 months...thank you but no!

Called back, Daniel hooked it up. He looked up my history and was almost shocked that I wasn't already getting ST for free. (Premier customer with 5 receivers (one HD) usually order ST, Hockey package and NBA package--auto pay customer since 2006.) Told him it was just too expensive and although I loved Directv was switching to Dish to save money. Here is what I ended up getting:

ST FREE $355

Ticket to GO FREE $60

$10 off 24 months HD access

$10 off 6 months Sports package

$6.50 off 12 months Stars

$5 off 6 months Showtime

$5 off 24 months (something else I could even keep track of because he was rattling off so many discounts! ;)

$5 off 6 months (same as above...one of these was HBO I believe)

$10 off 24 months Premier package

I always get nervous when I call them and I'm still shaking now I'm so excited!! Quickly added it up I think it's a total savings of just over $1200 Can't believe it!! :eek:

Also I am under contract until December next year I think...it was never even mentioned.

FYI - Just this morning I noticed DTV billed me an extra ten dollars. I had already danced this dance with them last month when my 12 month refer a friend promo ended. It "slipped" off again, the promo that is, in spite of last months lady telling me she would extend another 12 months. I called this morning, said cancel, and informed Patricia that I was done with this crap of calling every month. I told her Dish is offering 2 years at 39.99 for something very similar and I'm done. She offered 12 x 10 AND $200.00 off the sunday ticket (130 for the season w/ this promo - very reasonable price imo). I took it and watched her put it on my account. No arguing at all which is weird b/c, in the past, DTV fought me toothe and nail for every dollar on ST. Good luck friends.
update:Saw that some people were getting it free and called in. "Josh" took care of me and added an additional 120 credit effectively giving me sunday ticket free. :banned:

Just called and got sunday ticket free on top of a free HD-dvr a few months ago and a $10 credit for 24 months a few months before that.

this is in contrast to last year when i called for my yearly sunday ticket discount and not only did i get denied several times but they went ahead and canceled my ticket last year and i had to re-sign up for it at a $20 additional cost :wall:

Just called and got sunday ticket free on top of a free HD-dvr a few months ago and a $10 credit for 24 months a few months before that.

this is in contrast to last year when i called for my yearly sunday ticket discount and not only did i get denied several times but they went ahead and canceled my ticket last year and i had to re-sign up for it at a $20 additional cost :wall:
me too. Took some haggling to get ST free instead of half off.

It seems if you're willing to call enough you can get ST free on top of other discounts. Someone on Slickdeals posted this info:

Call 1-800-824-9081 and say 'cancel service' at the voice prompts. When the CSR comes on ask them when your contract is up and what the ETF would be. If they ask why are you asking tell them the main reason you are with Direct TV is NFL Sunday Ticket but with the lockout this year and the bad economy $323 for the early bird special is too expensive. Ask them if there are any NFL Sunday Ticket promotions for existing customers, since all new customers are getting it for free. You could switch to Dish Network or your local cable provider and pay the same price, including free HD service. You could also get the RedZone channel from either of those providers instead of paying $323 for the whole NFL Sunday Ticket. Ask the rep if there are any deals you qualify for as an existing customer. Mention your wife is bugging you to cut the bills but you love football and she loves her movie channels.

Did not nearly have the same success as you guys. Spoke with Melissa and ended up getting $15 off for the next 2 years plus $5 off HBO for the next year, $6.95 off Starz for the next year and free Red Zone. She offered 50% off the whole football package but I'd rather have free Red Zone than shell out $140 when I won't watch all that much besides Red Zone.

Does anyone have the "Sports Pack" with all the local YES, MSG, Fox Sports type channels?

I'm wondering if this is basically a less expensive way to get the MLB/NBA/NHL packages all in one, or do these channels get blacked out or show alternate programming during games?

Does anyone have the "Sports Pack" with all the local YES, MSG, Fox Sports type channels?

I'm wondering if this is basically a less expensive way to get the MLB/NBA/NHL packages all in one, or do these channels show alternate programming during games?
Live hockey games on those channels will be blacked out if you don't purchase Center Ice. You'll be able to watch the delayed replays of the games, but that's about it.I assume it's the same for the other sports.

I'm wondering if this is basically a less expensive way to get the MLB/NBA/NHL packages all in one, or do these channels show alternate programming during games?
Live hockey games on those channels will be blacked out if you don't purchase Center Ice. You'll be able to watch the delayed replays of the games, but that's about it.I assume it's the same for the other sports.
Yea I had a hunch that was the case, I see they mentioned college sports and extreme sports but not pro. Thanks Aaron!

Works the same way with baseball too. You'll get your local team's games, but others are blacked out.

I am out of contract and will be calling them soon with this ultimatum. Give me all new equipment, mine is all 6+ years old, like you would a new customer, or I'm done. I'll report back. I have negotiated with them many times before,always been successful
New dish. 2 new hd dvr receivers. Ticket for 150. $120 off over the next 2 years. As wel as the $26/month discount already on the bill. :banned: :banned: :banned:

The operators are strange sometimes. The last two times we've called they've refused to give us Sunday Ticket for free, but told us to call back later and maybe we could? :confused:

should at the very least get half off.

Ticket for $150 isn't bad. I haven't yet, but you can likely get To-Go thrown in for free. Mention Red Zone (which is a legitimate alternative -- saw it available on local cable for $30 for the year).

I like the Game Cuts offered at night by the Ticket, so my preference is to stay with it.

I am thinking about switching to DirecTV from cable, but I have an installation question - I intend to keep my cable provider as my internet provider - does that mean I need new cable wiring to all TV's for the DirecTV feed? What does something like that run?

i don't think you need all new wiring, but you might need some new wiring depending on your setup. if you switch DTV will do it for you without installation cost.

i don't think you need all new wiring, but you might need some new wiring depending on your setup. if you switch DTV will do it for you without installation cost.
Thanks - I was assuming they would tie into the existing cable running through the house - but I need that cable to run to my wireless router, so I did not know if they needed to run separate cable for directv to the rooms where I will have a receiver.

should at the very least get half off. Ticket for $150 isn't bad. I haven't yet, but you can likely get To-Go thrown in for free. Mention Red Zone (which is a legitimate alternative -- saw it available on local cable for $30 for the year). I like the Game Cuts offered at night by the Ticket, so my preference is to stay with it.
i'm not amused. i've called multiple times and everybody says that i have the maximum number of discounts already applied. all i've been able to get thus far is To-Go.

should at the very least get half off. Ticket for $150 isn't bad. I haven't yet, but you can likely get To-Go thrown in for free. Mention Red Zone (which is a legitimate alternative -- saw it available on local cable for $30 for the year). I like the Game Cuts offered at night by the Ticket, so my preference is to stay with it.
i'm not amused. i've called multiple times and everybody says that i have the maximum number of discounts already applied. all i've been able to get thus far is To-Go.
I haven't had any success once I hit that "maximum number of discounts" time. I've had cases where the rep has promised me $10 additional off, and they admit they promised it, and their system wouldn't process the discount. I actually ended up switching to cable to give it a try during the off season because they wouldn't honor what they promised (even suggested they simply set me up as a vendor and cut me a check if their system wouldn't process it - they didn't go for it). This year I got a pretty hefty series of discounts to basically match what they were offering new customers, but still have to pay something for ST & togo was full price (after several requests, I believe that they are at the end of their rope for what they'll give me).In the end, just happy that football will be starting soon! :banned:

I just called and told them I've got a baby on the way (which is true) and that my wife ordered me to call and see if I can get my TV bill down somehow (which isn't). Following advice above, I asked if they were running any promotions for existing customers. After congratulating me on the baby and joking about getting sleep now while I can, the guy offerred me $25 off each month for 2 years. That comes as a $10 credit for free HD and a $15 discount on my base package.

I don't know if I could have gotten more than that, but it sounded plenty good to me, so I thanked him and took it.

Just called and got $30 off for 6 months and free Starz and Showtime for 3. The best he could do on the ticket was to spread the payments out to 6 months. He offered me a free HD receiver but that would have started another 24 month contract. So, $30 off for 6 months with no contract extension.

Just called and got $30 off for 6 months and free Starz and Showtime for 3. The best he could do on the ticket was to spread the payments out to 6 months. He offered me a free HD receiver but that would have started another 24 month contract. So, $30 off for 6 months with no contract extension.
That's bull#### compared to some of the other deals here.

Only been with DirecTV for 14 months. Asked if I could still be considered a "new" customer and get ST for free. Told best they could do was 1/2 price, but then gave me $20 off for 12 months along with $10 off for 6 months. So I'm paying $160 for ST, but getting $300 off my bill over the next 12 months

Only been with DirecTV for 14 months. Asked if I could still be considered a "new" customer and get ST for free. Told best they could do was 1/2 price, but then gave me $20 off for 12 months along with $10 off for 6 months. So I'm paying $160 for ST, but getting $300 off my bill over the next 12 months
I'd be happy to get this. They offered us Starz free for a year. #### that ####.

Pretty sure Im out of contract, but I saw the free ticket commercial last week so called. Expected to get it for free, complained its way too much (I think its gone up about $120 just in the past 4 years), and best the girl would give me was $20 off for 6 months. Didnt even think twice about taking it, and glad I didnt. I'll have to call back in a month or so and hope for better, although it looks like the best anyone's gotten is $180 off except for the guy who got $25 off for 24 months which I have trouble believing.
:hey: Believe it!
Elaborate then...Ive never heard them giving $$ off per month over 12 months, and $20 is usually the standard at that.

I was only able to get 20 off for six months plus a $7 dvr credit ......so 27 off for six mos. about half the ST package.

'SacramentoBob said:
'ICLight said:
I'd be happy to get this. They offered us Starz free for a year. #### that ####.
Tell them you already have access to Starz's catalog through Netflix streaming and its one of the reasons you are considering cancelling.

Just did my call...

Was able to get $15 off a month for a year (already had other discounts totaling $16 off per month) and free Sunday Ticket with the 2Go package. Been a DirecTV customer for 5 years and will be the first time I had the ticket.

Works for me.

Just got off the phone and got ST for free. First go around was 1/2 price ST and 10.00 off for 6mths. Asked for 10.00 off for 12mth or 20.00 off for 6mths, he put me on hold for 10 minutes and then said he couldn't do the 12mth or 20 for 6mths but would give me ST for free. Happy with that since I already have the 10.00 credit for next 15mths or so.

Last week, I got (in two separate calls), $15 off bill for 24 months, $10 off Sports Pack for 6 months, $5 off HBO for 6 months, and Sunday Ticket for free. She had me calendar a date in February to call back and get more discounts. I was also told I already have some other credits on Showtime/Starz that have not yet expired.

I got 250 cash credit 2 months ago and just called up today and got the NFL ticket and superfan for free. I told them I could not afford the Sunday ticket and wanted to move to Dish to get the redzone channel. He offered 50% off and I told him I might be able to do that if I changed other programming and the he started talking FF with me. After 10 minutes he told me I had the ticket for free. He talked another 10 minutes about FF and told me I had it all free. Good guy.

From what I can tell he has

Brees

Manning

AP

Felix Jones

Britt

Austin

Gonzo

Daniels

Gost

Ravens

Steelers

He dropped Manning and picked up C Williams and Woodhead. He also has McNabb, and won his week one game against he buddy who had Keading as his kicker. :banned:

I got 250 cash credit 2 months ago and just called up today and got the NFL ticket and superfan for free. I told them I could not afford the Sunday ticket and wanted to move to Dish to get the redzone channel. He offered 50% off and I told him I might be able to do that if I changed other programming and the he started talking FF with me. After 10 minutes he told me I had the ticket for free. He talked another 10 minutes about FF and told me I had it all free. Good guy.From what I can tell he hasBreesManningAPFelix JonesBrittAustinGonzoDanielsGostRavensSteelersHe dropped Manning and picked up C Williams and Woodhead. He also has McNabb, and won his week one game against he buddy who had Keading as his kicker. :banned:
No scoring system?

I got 250 cash credit 2 months ago and just called up today and got the NFL ticket and superfan for free. I told them I could not afford the Sunday ticket and wanted to move to Dish to get the redzone channel. He offered 50% off and I told him I might be able to do that if I changed other programming and the he started talking FF with me. After 10 minutes he told me I had the ticket for free. He talked another 10 minutes about FF and told me I had it all free. Good guy.From what I can tell he hasBreesManningAPFelix JonesBrittAustinGonzoDanielsGostRavensSteelersHe dropped Manning and picked up C Williams and Woodhead. He also has McNabb, and won his week one game against he buddy who had Keading as his kicker. :banned:
No scoring system?
Brees got him 29 and Britt got him 26, he said Austin whom he sat for Britt only got him 14. Maybe we can figure it out from there. :D

I am glad I got the ticket for free but thing is I would be really pissed if they didn't give it to me for free when I know they give it to others free. I would feel like a sucker for paying for it. Weird business model they have.

Users who are viewing this thread