What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (2 Viewers)

I got the same message. I just chatted with them today.  They said 30 days after reactivation that I would get the gift card sent to my email at which time I could then go to the website to redeem.

Yeah.  It is frustrating as it hasn't been as easy as in year's past.  But I understand they are a business trying to make money.  I can deal with a little customer service ineptitude and temporary disconnection of service if it results in my haul of $1300 value this year.  And the beauty is that you can do it all again next year.  They realize that there are other options for consumers and want to maintain you.  It's really a game of chicken.  But if the worst that you have to do is to disconnect your service for a few days, then why wouldn't you?  Once you disconnect, then you're essentially a new customer and you have the power.
this is true, but that said they weren't giving out free $200 GC until recently which is pretty sweet. I didn't go all in for that this year but last year I got one.

greyhorse said:
They said 30 days after reactivation that I would get the gift card sent to my email at which time I could then go to the website to redeem.
I wouldn't wait that long to redeem. If you don't redeem it the opportunity expires. I can't remember how long you have, but waiting for an email from Directv is not a plan for success and takes you out of the drivers seat.

In an unexpected turn of events...Directv called ME today and offered to walk me through the process of redeeming my $200 gift card ?. I had to reset my login info and then they did something on their end. They had me go to the AT&T website and click on the redeem link. I have a confirmation number and everything!! 

Made the call yesterday it went terrible was told i had been given deals way to long and there was no deals to be had which of  cource I said was not going to cut it she offered 15 dollers off my premier package. I said go ahead and cancel my service which she was put right away with out asking me what cancel day i wanted and put it thru for last night at 12:30 lol.

Lucky me a couple hours later the phone rings and aurora calls and offers me the premier package, sunday ticket max and a 100 dollar prepaid card for $90.82 a month best deal i have ever had by far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone ever have trouble with them shutting off their service?

We had AT&T and Direct for awhile, when we called to cancel our service and they didn't shut it off. We didn't notice it for like 2 weeks, and when we did we called back and were told that they had no record of us cancelling and we were on the hook for those 2 weeks.

About a month later we got a bill and our Directv was off, but the still didn't cancel the internet. So now we are in a stand off with them, we refuse to pay the 130 some odd dollars they want and they are threatening to send it to a collections.

Anyone else have this problem, or any advice?

Made the call last night, been a customer for almost 20 years.  It could not have been any easier, didn't have to threaten to cancel or anything.  I went straight to retention dept, said I want to lower my bill, etc and she said give me a minute and I'll let you know what we can do..she comes back with this opening offer:

Free ST Max

$40 a month off my bill for a year

Free HBO/Showtime for 6 months, Cinemax for 4 months and the Sports channels (600s) for 6 months

I asked about the gift card, she said they couldn't offer it but didn't push it as I got a lot without having to do anything...can't complain.  I think it was this easy because all of my previous credits had expired already.....until next year.

Made the call last night, been a customer for almost 20 years.  It could not have been any easier, didn't have to threaten to cancel or anything.  I went straight to retention dept, said I want to lower my bill, etc and she said give me a minute and I'll let you know what we can do..she comes back with this opening offer:

Free ST Max

Free HBO/Showtime for 6 months, Cinemax for 4 months and the Sports channels (600s) for 6 months

I asked about the gift card, she said they couldn't offer it but didn't push it as I got a lot without having to do anything...can't complain.  I think it was this easy because all of my previous credits had expired already.....until next year.
Congrats, nice job.

I'm always curious why sometimes the gift card is available for some while it's not for others.  I was given all the move channels only for 3 months and the sports channels weren't even offered.  I suppose when you add up value, the extra 3 months of movie channels and your 6 months of 600s adds up to more than $200, but I personally would want the cash as I don't really care for any of those anyway.  I wonder how the reps make these decisions.

I wouldn't wait that long to redeem. If you don't redeem it the opportunity expires. I can't remember how long you have, but waiting for an email from Directv is not a plan for success and takes you out of the drivers seat.
Yeah, I assume there is some expiration on the gift card, but I'm not going to wait that long once I get the code.  I'm not sure what more I can do to get it faster.  They said it would be sent to me, how are people getting them to send earlier than this 30 days?

Free ST Max

This is what I get last weekend as well. Probably could have done better but didn't feel like going through the whole disconnect rigmarole.    

This is what I get last weekend as well. Probably could have done better but didn't feel like going through the whole disconnect rigmarole.    
The lady joked with me when I called in, she said 'you want your discounts, right?'  LOL   And yeah, I could have gotten the gift card if I actually setup a cancellation but felt I got enough value as it was and didn't want to bother with it.

Update on mine.  

After multiple calls.....

They won't give me the ticket for free.  Say they have no record of it.  All the other stuff is there.  Discounts, HBO, gc.  I had to cancel the ticket and get them to credit back the first payment.

Straight lied to about the ticket. I was told several times I was getting it.    I will be cancelling my service soon.  Should have just gone to sling like I originally wanted. Watch them like a hawk.  They are not honoring their offers
I'm back!

Got someone to help me out and got Sunday ticket max for free after being told no

Also got 200 gc

3 genies

Extra package for 81 per month

Movie channels for three months

Gigantic pain in the ###.  Seems that cancelling my account before prior discount expired and then reconnecting a day later made things really complicated for them.  Next year I'm waiting until credits expire, which will be August and it will be time to play the game again.

If you got new equipment, they probably have you under a 24 month contract and you'll be stuck next year once your credits expire. At least that was my experience last year. 

In all the mess of this year's calls for me, my account shows 2 different $50 credits per month. Will be interesting to see if they both stick. 

Called again today when my service didn't disconnect as agreed upon.  Nicer lady this time, (Dawn from Alabama.) after putting me on hold multiple times, finally got down to $114 on my bill  (Last bill was $175) with no programming changes and six receivers still connected.  She offered Sunday Ticket and the Red Zone Channel. (Not Sunday Ticket Max.)  Told her that wasn't going to get it done.  Service should disconnect tomorrow. Felt kinda guilty for Dawn and now I enter the territory of the unknown.

Called again today when my service didn't disconnect as agreed upon.  Nicer lady this time, (Dawn from Alabama.) after putting me on hold multiple times, finally got down to $114 on my bill  (Last bill was $175) with no programming changes and six receivers still connected.  She offered Sunday Ticket and the Red Zone Channel. (Not Sunday Ticket Max.)  Told her that wasn't going to get it done.  Service should disconnect tomorrow. Felt kinda guilty for Dawn and now I enter the territory of the unknown.

Not sure how much of this thread you've read through, so take my advice and do not attempt to reconnect before waiting at least 2-3 days. 

DirecTV is now disconnected in my home for the first time since I bought the place ! :shock:  Feeling inadequate and disconnected to the outside world, I downloaded Playstation View and started a five day free trial of their big and bad package. Watched this mornings news programs before heading of to the old J..O..B.  I received a disconnect email from DirecTV and nothing else. They haven't called, sent a text, a letter...nothing.....I feel so alone. :coffee: :tumbleweed: :kicksrock:

My cancelation date was  Sept 1 but somehow DTV managed to disconnect me yesterday (I had to watch football at a bar last night, resulting in today's mild hangover so please excuse typos)   :banned:

It all worked out in the end:  received a call this morning and was offered:

ST Max

$54 off bill per month for 12 months

$50 off per month the following year (but I am not committed - I can cancel after the first 12 above, allowing me to re-up and probably get ST again)

HBO / Show / Cinemax / Starz for 3 months.   

No $200 gift card - I asked but was told that was not eligible with the offer above and I let it go - not a deal breaker.

What I do not understand (will call and ask about):   The monthly discount is $54 but if what the caller said is true, my monthly bill with taxes will be about $75.    This actually represents an $80 / month savings from my current bill.    I think this is due to the package being "Extra All Included" but at any rate this is a win.  

Good way to start the holiday weekend.   Time for some more  :banned: :banned:

My cancelation date was  Sept 1 but somehow DTV managed to disconnect me yesterday (I had to watch football at a bar last night, resulting in today's mild hangover so please excuse typos)   :banned:

ST Max

$50 off per month the following year (but I am not committed - I can cancel after the first 12 above, allowing me to re-up and probably get ST again)

No $200 gift card - I asked but was told that was not eligible with the offer above and I let it go - not a deal breaker.

What I do not understand (will call and ask about):   The monthly discount is $54 but if what the caller said is true, my monthly bill with taxes will be about $75.    This actually represents an $80 / month savings from my current bill.    I think this is due to the package being "Extra All Included" but at any rate this is a win.  

Hopefully it works out for you, but you probably should have waited another day or two. Are your free Sunday Ticket Max and movie channels already showing up in your programming?

Hopefully it works out for you, but you probably should have waited another day or two. Are your free Sunday Ticket Max and movie channels already showing up in your programming?
I am at work, but my son checked and saw found the direct tv was back up and the movie channels were active.    I plan to go through everything later this afternoon when I get home, bht it sounds ok....

I am at work, but my son checked and saw found the direct tv was back up and the movie channels were active.    I plan to go through everything later this afternoon when I get home, bht it sounds ok....
Yeah, definitely log into your account and make sure the discounts are applied. It got turned on right away for me too, but none of the discounts were applied. 

Yeah, definitely log into your account and make sure the discounts are applied. It got turned on right away for me too, but none of the discounts were applied. 
I just noticed that I can no longer log into my account.  Something about my user name not active.  Is that normal? 

$176.00 bill reduced to $101.50 for the next twelve months, in return for signing up for a 12 month contract, and did it all through chat online.  Works for me.

I opened chat saying "your phone system said it was really busy today because it's Friday.  I just want to find out if my contract is up so I don't have a cancellation penalty before I wait on hold."

All is right with the world.  We'll do it again next year - until then  :banned: :banned: :banned:

madviking10 said:
I just noticed that I can no longer log into my account.  Something about my user name not active.  Is that normal? 
You'll have to contact them to change your email to a temporary new one. Happened to a few of us. I was able to change back after a couple of days. Just one more stupid annoyance on top of the 8 hours of phone time it took me to get my deal straightened out this year.

You'll have to contact them to change your email to a temporary new one. Happened to a few of us. I was able to change back after a couple of days. Just one more stupid annoyance on top of the 8 hours of phone time it took me to get my deal straightened out this year.
Assuming this is after I wait the 48 hours or so (After Disconnect) and call them back?  Only update I have...disconnected on Friday September 1 during the night.  Nothing in email and no calls today.  Based on what I've read in this thread...should hear something one way or another in the next couple days or so.  Not sure how the weekend and holiday would effect all this.  If I don't hear anything I can wait until next Wednesday or so before I get nervous.

If you're more interested in Red Zone Channel than NFL Sunday Ticket, I don't know why some of you guys don't just go with Dish Network. I just signed another two-year contract with them because the deals they give are just so reasonable. I called to cancel, so they gave me the new customer pricing plus the Sports Pack free for a full year. The thing I like best is that as soon as football season is over I can drop down to the base Flex Package and my bill will be $50 a month including everything. Or if I want to keep every single channel in the world I ever wanted (America's Top 120+ and locals), my bill is $79. I can bump up and down between those packages whenever I want. Yes, I might have to shell out the $13 a month next year during football season to get the Sports Pack with Red Zone Channel, but over two years it all averages out to like $65 with a Hopper 2 and one Joey.

ST Max

I got this same deal but I was able to get the $200 gift card as well.  It is hella cheap compared to what I was paying.  And you're right, the "All included" includes the fees for the tvs, dvr, and HD.

madviking10 said:

No need to change your email.  Just be patient.  I chatted with them, they said somebody would call me, nobody called, in a day or so it was all working again with my same email account.  I thought it wasn't really a big deal to lose online account access for a while, but I'm enjoying it now because I'm watching a lot of tv shows from the movie channels that I've never had before.  (Trying to get caught back up on Homeland...)

Interesting. Where do I get a hard drive 
You would need to purchase one that is either already in an enclosure with eSATA support or purchase any hard drive (the article linked above has some suggested for the rigors that a DVR puts them through) and a separate enclosure to put it in that would support eSATA. I believe this should work even if the internal hard drive dies as it "replaces" the internal hard drive when connected (you cannot see recordings on the internal hard drive when the external is attached). Many people do this to increase their total amount of storage on their DVR. I've done it with an older DVR to put 1 or 2 TB available for recordings. Eventually that hard drive went back, and I went back to using the internal hard drive.

Not sure if you are running a Genie currently, but with some of the older DVRs, a huge (like 2 TB) hard drive will slow down the response of the DVR as the hard drive runs. I have not experimented with a Genie to know if its internals can handle it better.

Nothing from DirecTV since the disconnect on Friday.  Account login and password no longer work.  No Email and No call.  Guess it's not the same for everyone. 

Been playing the cancellation game with them for years. Have had good luck getting discounts and ticket each year. Last year got free ST max 50 off a year and 200 gift card all from guidance here. 

Called this year with contract just expired. Mentioned I'd need last years deal to stay. They had nothing at first.  Tried to set cancellation for a week out and all of a sudden 25 of a month, said no and then 50 off a month and red zone. Got disconnected, called back and they gave me 50 off a month, free ST max, hbo for 6 months, and no contract. Lots of on hold time for some reason, but I Took it. Kinda different from previous years, young kid in the phone seemed shocked at this deal. 

NateDawg said:
You would need to purchase one that is either already in an enclosure with eSATA support or purchase any hard drive (the article linked above has some suggested for the rigors that a DVR puts them through) and a separate enclosure to put it in that would support eSATA. I believe this should work even if the internal hard drive dies as it "replaces" the internal hard drive when connected (you cannot see recordings on the internal hard drive when the external is attached). Many people do this to increase their total amount of storage on their DVR. I've done it with an older DVR to put 1 or 2 TB available for recordings. Eventually that hard drive went back, and I went back to using the internal hard drive.

Not sure if you are running a Genie currently, but with some of the older DVRs, a huge (like 2 TB) hard drive will slow down the response of the DVR as the hard drive runs. I have not experimented with a Genie to know if its internals can handle it better.
Wow. I called to ask about new equipment and they're sending me a new receiver for free with no shipping charge or contract. 

madviking10 said:
Nothing from DirecTV since the disconnect on Friday.  Account login and password no longer work.  No Email and No call.  Guess it's not the same for everyone. 
I never got a call either.  It seems like some here were inundated with so many calls that they could choose when to pick up.  Certainly not my case.  As I said in earlier posts, I called back only once I got the boxes to ship the equipment back with the 888 number included.  That same number also was on my "final" bill that arrived in the mail several days later.  It seems that if you don't get a call immediately within a day or two, it'll be up to you to initiate the call.

I never got a call either.  It seems like some here were inundated with so many calls that they could choose when to pick up.  Certainly not my case.  As I said in earlier posts, I called back only once I got the boxes to ship the equipment back with the 888 number included.  That same number also was on my "final" bill that arrived in the mail several days later.  It seems that if you don't get a call immediately within a day or two, it'll be up to you to initiate the call.
Yea, thinking I'll do that this evening.  Starting to freak out.  The NFL goes live in just four days !!  Any chance you have that 888 number?  

Yea, thinking I'll do that this evening.  Starting to freak out.  The NFL goes live in just four days !!  Any chance you have that 888 number?  
I am at work so don't have on me but if you scroll back through this forum a few pages or even search for "888" you'll find it.  Good luck!

Once you are disconnected and no longer their customer, they don't hold the screws over you.  Just remember that you have the position of power and can demand their best offer.

:lmao:

These effin people.  I'm either getting a ridiculously good deal, a ridiculously bad one, or I've been getting led around by the shvantz for way too long here.  I honestly have no idea which at this point.

Just another data point:

I disconnected monday the 4th (contract was up 9/1).  Called the 210-332-6968 number from the other thread noon today and said I had a message to call back for a winback offer.  I never received a call or email, but the guy on the other line went through the whole shpeeal like they had been trying to reach me in various ways.  My HDRs are about 7+ years old and getting glitchy so getting an equipment upgrade was important to me this year.  I had to do the two year contract, but they also made the discounts last for two years. 

ST MAX

$54 off Xtra for two years (it was something strange where the price I would pay would be an extra $4 per month the second year but I didn't really care)

HBO/SHOW/Cine free for three months.

1 Genie and two mini-genies with free installation next week. 

I had to agree to autopay but have always had that anyway.  No gift card was available since I was doing a two year deal.  I can deal with that.  Nothing extraordinary, but the whole phone call only took about 15 minutes.  Good enough for me this year.  Thanks for the info everyone!

Square said:
Just another data point:

I disconnected monday the 4th (contract was up 9/1).  Called the 210-332-6968 number from the other thread noon today and said I had a message to call back for a winback offer.  I never received a call or email, but the guy on the other line went through the whole shpeeal like they had been trying to reach me in various ways.  My HDRs are about 7+ years old and getting glitchy so getting an equipment upgrade was important to me this year.  I had to do the two year contract, but they also made the discounts last for two years. 

ST MAX

$54 off Xtra for two years (it was something strange where the price I would pay would be an extra $4 per month the second year but I didn't really care)

HBO/SHOW/Cine free for three months.

1 Genie and two mini-genies with free installation next week. 

I had to agree to autopay but have always had that anyway.  No gift card was available since I was doing a two year deal.  I can deal with that.  Nothing extraordinary, but the whole phone call only took about 15 minutes.  Good enough for me this year.  Thanks for the info everyone!
I mentioned that I would need a second mini-genie and the guy told me to do the one year deal, then call back a couple weeks after and order the mini-genie, that way I would get the $200 GC.

:sharkmove:

My stupid gift card journey may finally have closure after STILL not showing up anyhwere online or in my mail box.

Today: I call back the original number I called back on July 23rd that gave me my reconnect deal. Im told I was indeed promised a $200 GC, she makes notes to my account and and transfers me to billing to take care of it.

Billing: Sorry, Im not seeing a gift card offer. Youre not eligible. I tell her the rep that transferred me over just confirmed Im getting it. She says sorry, theres nothing there. Nothing she can do. Great. Total time on phone: 45 minutes

So I call back original number and explain what just happened. New rep says that makes no sense. BINGO.  It then takes the rep 30 minutes to that find any mention of a gift card, and it was never added to my reconnect offer. It only shows on notes a rep put on the account on July 24th when I called to confirm the details of my reconnect deal. She spends another 20 minutes trying to figure out how to get me the card. No luck. She makes more notes on my account and connects me to an accelerated customer something dept. They look at the account and say yes you are getting a gift card. Let us transfer you over to rebates. After holding for 15 minutes, I get disconnected. Total phone call time: 52 minutes.

I call back the accelerated customer something dept. They tell me I need to call rebate center. They give me the number for the rebate center (877-258-1427). Total time: 5 minutes

Rebate center: No problem, let me activate that for you.....after literally 2  minutes, he says it will be mailed within 10 days and will show up online within 3 days.

So almost 2 hours and several phone calls and I may finally be getting the gift card I was promised back in July. SMH.

What a complete cluster####

Users who are viewing this thread