Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
oukurt

Can you negotiate with DirecTV?

Just had my first call.  Was offered $60 /month off my bill with no additional discounts or ST throw ins.  Inquired about it and was told that the discounts "aren't available yet".  I'm technically under contract until September 12, so I will wait a little bit more until it's closer to the date.

She also mentioned that she asked around and that she heard that the ST offers will "show up" around mid-August.  I politely said I'd think about the offer and may call back later.  

My discounts run out at the end of Wednesday, 8/15 so I called the normal customer service number. They could only offer $25 off total. Politely said no so they said they could transfer me to a VIP Account Manager. All he could offer was $60 off...nothing else. Again, politely said no thanks and to schedule me for disconnect on 8/16 at midnight. Now I wait for an email or call but I'm guessing it won't happen until it is officially disconnected. Will update later.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, irishnips said:

My discounts run out at the end of Wednesday, 8/15 so I called the normal customer service number. They could only offer $25 off total. Politely said no so they said they could transfer me to a VIP Account Manager. All he could offer was $60 off...nothing else. Again, politely said no thanks and to schedule me for disconnect on 8/16 at midnight. Now I wait for an email or call but I'm guessing it won't happen until it is officially disconnected. Will update later.

You’re right Disconnect and you’ll get the whole thing. 

Edited by BroncoFreak_2K3
  • Like 1

On 8/10/2018 at 2:42 PM, FiredMartz said:

not under contract....Just made the yearly call....on the phone with a guy named " Evan " with a very distinct accent.....told him cancel me....he offered $ 60 a month off....that was it....

I have 8 tvs / boxes and my bill is $ 200 / month since I have all the Premiere garbage..... I set the  cancel date for 8 - 20....told him no Dodgers for 4 years and I'm tired of it....he said let me see if I can get you Dodgers!....huh?......hahahahahahaa!!!......I had to tell him they are only available on Spectrum Cable here in LA....for the last 4 ####in' years !!!!.......guess that news doesn't travel to India.....anyway, I asked for Sunday Ticket and he said no...... we set up cancellation....he said to call back if I change my mind....I said " Oh trust me,You will be calling ME back. It happens every year "

Let the games begin.............

Love it when the clearly outsourced guys in India have American first names.

8 tvs, holy moly, you must be living in one of these LA mega mansions.

I think the summary of the last few pages seems to be

- easiest to get discount if you are out of contract

- if you have credits still, let them expire before disconnecting

- within several days of disconnecting, call the win back number and then strike it rich

• Like 2

I have'nt set my disconnect date but having another service being installed on Saturday.  I should prolly set it up.  I hate calling DTv...

Update:  I just called and I'm assuming becasue I am still in contract, that I cannot set a cancel/disconnect date.  I have to call back on the day I wish to cancel.  They just notate the account that I will be cancelling....

Edited by notoriousbill

25 minutes ago, notoriousbill said:

I have'nt set my disconnect date but having another service being installed on Saturday.  I should prolly set it up.  I hate calling DTv...

Update:  I just called and I'm assuming becasue I am still in contract, that I cannot set a cancel/disconnect date.  I have to call back on the day I wish to cancel.  They just notate the account that I will be cancelling....

Not true. You can cancel anytime. They will try to charge you something like $20 per month left on contract though.

Called and said I'm paying too much.  He tried to talk me down to a cheaper package and I said no.  He took $45/month for 12 months.  That's all I need.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BroncoFreak_2K3 said:

You’re tight. Disconnect and you’ll get the whole thing. 

Not sure what you mean by "You're tight"? Also, I did set up my disconnect but I'm waiting until all my discounts are off the bill.

17 minutes ago, irishnips said:

Not sure what you mean by "You're tight"? Also, I did set up my disconnect but I'm waiting until all my discounts are off the bill.

Meant you’re right. 

On 8/11/2018 at 10:32 AM, JaxBill said:

I called the main number and asked for Cancel Service. I have Xtra + sports pack. I am not in contract. I have 6 months left of $50 off monthly. The woman was very nice but she only offered another 35 off monthly. I declined and have cancellation set for Thursday.

I'll try the winback number in a couple of days.

I tried the 870  winback number ahead of cutoff and no dice. I'm not really sure what he was offering. I already have 50 off for next 6.  He was negotiating backwards from my previous bill which was high because of first ST payment. He offered me 60 off in addition to the 50 off. And then he said 12.50 off ST.  But he said my monthly bill was still 84 a month which didn't add up. 

I declined because i felt like he was playing a shell game. 

Waiting on disconnect thursday now.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 5:49 PM, RJS113 said:

I just talked to Malik also. Easiest DTV call ever. 

Choice All Included

Free Sunday Ticket Max

Free HBO for 6 months (cancels automatically)

$300 VISA Giftcard

Only $24.99 a month. 

I cancelled back in February. Because they have to send me new equipment, I had to sign up for a 2 year contract. Malik told me to call back in 11 months, and they’ll reapply the discounts for the 2nd year. 

I just talked to Malik as well and was offered a similar deal. I gladly accepted. Question: How long did it take for your deal to show up on your online account? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yellowdog said:

I just talked to Malik as well and was offered a similar deal. I gladly accepted. Question: How long did it take for your deal to show up on your online account? 

How does so many people get ahold of this Malik guy? Do you call and ask for him :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, irishnips said:

How does so many people get ahold of this Malik guy? Do you call and ask for him :)

Seems pretty odd. Are we sure Malik works for DTV? Deals seem too good to be true. Are you giving your SSN and bank acct info to Malik to verify your accounts on these calls?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

Seems pretty odd. Are we sure Malik works for DTV? Deals seem too good to be true. Are you giving your SSN and bank acct info to Malik to verify your accounts on these calls?

:oldunsure:

Edited by yellowdog
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, cap'n grunge said:

Nope. He looked me up with my phone number. 

On 8/13/2018 at 1:32 PM, irishnips said:

Well I set up my disconnect for midnight on 8/16, woke up this a.m. to it being shut off a day early. Do I call and complain or just wait for the callback or email?

21 minutes ago, irishnips said:

Well I set up my disconnect for midnight on 8/16, woke up this a.m. to it being shut off a day early. Do I call and complain or just wait for the callback or email?

Same here. Scheduled disconnect for this Thursday. Woke up to a disconnect email. Oh well. I'll wait until lunch at least.

1 minute ago, JaxBill said:

Same here. Scheduled disconnect for this Thursday. Woke up to a disconnect email. Oh well. I'll wait until lunch at least.

Call around lunch saying you missed a call. 

• Like 1

There's a 1 800 531 5000 number in the disconnect email. Is this Malik's number or is it the 870- number?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

There's a 1 800 531 5000 number in the disconnect email. Is this Malik's number or is it the 870- number?

The 870,  I didn’t get Malik but the woman who helped me was 870-345-3640

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, JaxBill said:

Just curious, what time did you get your email? Mine was 4:30 a.m. If I don't hear anything by noon, I will call the 870 # and maybe use the early cutoff as a bargaining chip. :) 

2 hours ago, irishnips said:

Just curious, what time did you get your email? Mine was 4:30 a.m. If I don't hear anything by noon, I will call the 870 # and maybe use the early cutoff as a bargaining chip. :) 

Same email time

• Like 1

I called up and it sounded like the email was premature. I went forward with negotiations and was satisfied with a B+.

12 month discount of $65

6 month discount to ioffset sportspack 13.99

6 month free cinemax

1 time 48.99 credit to offset 1 ST max payment.

$100 visa gift card

6 months free cinemax

So monthly payment for Xtra plus SportsPak, ST Max for 2 Tvs is 109 plus tax for 6 months then 43 for 6 months.

I might have done a little better by waiting a day but i was good with it.

• Like 2

I just called the 870 number and lowered my bill from $195 to $68.95 a month for 12 months! Full Premiere package and Sunday NFL Ticket. 

Edited by OnTheReg
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, OnTheReg said:

I just called the 870 number and lowered my bill from $195 to $68.95 a month for 12 months! Full Premiere package and Sunday NFL Ticket. 

Did you have to cancel?  My last credits hit on the bill I just paid, so thinking of making the call this week.  Would like to not have to go through the whole rigmarole of actjually canceling then calling back, but will if that's the only way.

THANKS! 

It seems Malik is full of crap. Sunday Ticket Max wasn't showing up on my online account, so I hopped on chat to get confirmation. Apparently, Malik didn't make any notes concerning STM, so they had to put in a ticket for them to contact me in the next 7-10 days. The monthly bill will be drastically reduced, but I want free STM.

3 minutes ago, yellowdog said:

It seems Malik is full of crap. Sunday Ticket Max wasn't showing up on my online account, so I hopped on chat to get confirmation. Apparently, Malik didn't make any notes concerning STM, so they had to put in a ticket for them to contact me in the next 7-10 days. The monthly bill will be drastically reduced, but I want free STM.

Oh Malik!  What have you done?!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, yellowdog said:

This sounds about right. ATT sucks at following thru.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, yellowdog said:

I started to wonder what Malik's hustle was.Is it a numbers game getting people to reup?  Anyway, after seeing your post I checked my bill. Discounts, HBO, MAX, were there. I was placed in Choice All vs Xtra, no Showtime 6 mos, and no ST Max. I went through chat tonight, said only reason back with DT is the deal I was offered. She didn't see notes about Showtime & DT. I didn't have a confirmation number but had time on Saturday I made call & rep's name. Didn't want to throw him under bus but she came back & asked rep's name so I had to snitch. Hey - its him or the Raiders and we know where Raider Nation stands.

She escalated my issue and said I would receive resolution via email in 5-7 days. Can't believe Malik will be there for his promises in 11 - 12 months, but we all know this is a year to year game.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Titans_fan said:

Did you have to cancel?  My last credits hit on the bill I just paid, so thinking of making the call this week.  Would like to not have to go through the whole rigmarole of actjually canceling then calling back, but will if that's the only way.

THANKS! 

I called with the "intention" of cancelling, knowing it was never going to happen. But they didn't know that!

Just called. Out of contract and didn't have the energy to play the game this year. Since I was out of contract they took $55 off a month and gave me 6 months free HBO, making my bill lower than last year by a few bucks. I rarely used STMax last year so I didn't feel like fighting for it.

12 min call, good enough for me.

• Like 1

For anyone that got the free 6 months of HBO, is your on demand working?  Mine is saying "not subscribed"...but regular HBO channels work

53 minutes ago, Tiger Fan said:

For anyone that got the free 6 months of HBO, is your on demand working?  Mine is saying "not subscribed"...but regular HBO channels work

I've had that happen before you need to call them to get it fixed. Very annoying.

6 hours ago, cap'n grunge said:

I've had that happen before you need to call them to get it fixed. Very annoying.

called twice.  still not fixed.  hopefully will use as ammo when i try to get ST discount

So....is this 870 number everyone is talking about the 870.345.3640? Or, is there a different 870 number that is better?

And, what are people asking for when they call this number?

30 minutes ago, robb said:

So....is this 870 number everyone is talking about the 870.345.3640? Or, is there a different 870 number that is better?

Hello, is Malik there? 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, robb said:

I just called this number about an hour ago and got a female named Luz.  She said since my account was still active, she was unable to help me but I could call her back once the cancellation was processed (scheduled for tonight) and she could offer me deals.  She gave me a different number to call, which sounded like a number directly to her (I don't have the number on me, but can post it when I update).  She then asked if I would like to know what could be offered before she transferred me to the main DTV number, so I said sure.

She said my current bill is approximately $135.00, which is accurate now that my credits have expired, and said she could offer me $95.00 off for 12 months and free Sunday Ticket.  Needless to say, I proceeded with cancellation and will report back if I get the quoted deal tomorrow when I call!

Edited by Titans_fan

On 7/16/2018 at 3:49 PM, tonydead said:

Yep, and there is usually an early subscriber deal before August 1st for returning customers.  I should be able to get it $20 or so cheaper.  

I'm mostly set up.  Went between all 3 games last night streaming GP app on iPad to and Nvidia Shield (highly recommend).  I am looking to get the Android app so I can load it on the Shield and use it directly, but the streaming from my iPad was crystal clear and not jumpy at all.   Thanks again! :thumbup:

Just made the first call (to the regular 800 number.) Told them I wanted to cancel purely because of cost and that I had a better offer from Dish. They offered me the $60/month and free ST Max. I was tempted to just take it but I went ahead and scheduled the disconnection for Monday. She then told me they would have "great winback offers" for me after the disconnection went through.

2 hours ago, Osaurus said:

I'm mostly set up.  Went between all 3 games last night streaming GP app on iPad to and Nvidia Shield (highly recommend).  I am looking to get the Android app so I can load it on the Shield and use it directly, but the streaming from my iPad was crystal clear and not jumpy at all.   Thanks again! :thumbup:

Awesome.  I haven't pulled the trigger yet, watched the first preseason game using a reddit stream with no issues at all.  Trying again on Saturday.  Might end up paying $0.  I have a HTPC dedicated to my entertainment center and big screen.

• Like 2

Made the call, I forgot the name of person I talked to. 

Ended up with..

Sunday Ticket Max, NBA League Pass, Directv Sports Package for 6 months, HBO for 6 months, Showtime for 4 months, $60 off for 12 months. She also stated there were (2) $10 discounts I was eligible for that were applied. I already have a $30 discount for 10 months remaining. 

Edited by Mimo

7 hours ago, Titans_fan said:

I just called this number about an hour ago and got a female named Luz.  She said since my account was still active, she was unable to help me but I could call her back once the cancellation was processed (scheduled for tonight) and she could offer me deals.  She gave me a different number to call, which sounded like a number directly to her (I don't have the number on me, but can post it when I update).  She then asked if I would like to know what could be offered before she transferred me to the main DTV number, so I said sure.

She said my current bill is approximately $135.00, which is accurate now that my credits have expired, and said she could offer me $95.00 off for 12 months and free Sunday Ticket.  Needless to say, I proceeded with cancellation and will report back if I get the quoted deal tomorrow when I call!

Just curious.....why wouldn't you accept this offer? Your bill would be $40 per month for 12 months and then you call again and negotiate. And, free ST. What more were you holding out for?

Thanks for responding.

I’ve had directv for close to 20 years and never had any discounts. I’m paying about 170 a month right now with Sunday ticket next 5 months. What do I need to do? Call and say I want to switch to Dish or what?

Spent about 2-3 hours calling tonight, finally got a guy who offered me a $49 credit (for the first ST payment I already made) and $55/month for 12 months, with no contract.  I got a lot of runaround prior to that, so I went ahead and took it.

1 hour ago, NREC34 said:

I’ve had directv for close to 20 years and never had any discounts. I’m paying about 170 a month right now with Sunday ticket next 5 months. What do I need to do? Call and say I want to switch to Dish or what?

call and say you are interested in lowering the amount of your bill and would like to see if there are any current promotions running.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NewlyRetired said:

call and say you are interested in lowering the amount of your bill and would like to see if there are any current promotions running.

If they offer you peanuts, set up a cancelation date in 1 week and wait for a call. 

• Like 1