What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (3 Viewers)

Ha ha...  just realized that the 210 number from San Antonio that has called me 4 times since I disconnected yesterday is the same one that called me last year 

210 number just called me back just now.

I called yesterday at this time and disconnected.  I should have done it sooner and given today as my cut off date.  My service went off this morning.

They can't turn it back on to this receiver because this one is five years old and it can't be turned back on once disconnected.  So tech is coming out Monday am to install upgraded genie, which ain't no thing because I'm off to a 3 day weekend!

I got NFL Max this year. Only got Red Zone last year.

I got $200 VISA gift card. Didn't get one last year, but did two years ago.

Got my bill lowered from $72 to $55 on XTRA package.  $7 of that is removing one TV no longer being used. 

Got three months of HBO/Show/all the movie channels for free. 

Got $100 credit because of some billing issues last year.

Because I'm getting a new Genie, I had to go on a 2 year contract.  I've done that before and will cancel next year. They waive the cancel fee.

I’ll definitely be watching this one for updates hope it all works out for you 

:thumbup:
 It worked out for me.  It wasn't that smooth though but in the end I am VERY happy.

Choice All Included, HBO, Genie Whole Home DVR and 4 TVs total, STMax for $42.98 plus tax per month for 12 months.  

Initally after they signed me up, they tried to get out of the deal.  I had to escalte it to the Supervisor and after she listened to the conversation she honored the deal.  

some of you guys are hitting the lottery with your deals!  Well done!
For some it is easy, for others it is a PITA.  Next year, I will be out of contract so I may have more to go on but I highly doubt I will get the monthly rate I have now....

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got off the phone, took about 40 minutes total, and two transfers.

set up disconnect date with a customer service rep who insisted she was a retention’s dept rep. Finally got transferred after setting up disconnect for midnight tonight.

Basically leveled with the rep and told her I was willing to go through the song and dance for the best deal possible if necessary, etc.

She said no need I have plenty of value built up even though I disconnected last year they knew I was a long time customer.

All in all I got 60.00 discount for 12 months, free movie channels for 6 months, a 200.00 GC and 100.00 GC, Sunday Ticket Max free as well. 

All without actually disconnecting which was super sweet!

set up disconnect date with a customer service rep who insisted she was a retention’s dept rep. Finally got transferred after setting up disconnect for midnight tonight.

Basically leveled with the rep and told her I was willing to go through the song and dance for the best deal possible if necessary, etc.

She said no need I have plenty of value built up even though I disconnected last year they knew I was a long time customer.

All in all I got 60.00 discount for 12 months, free movie channels for 6 months, a 200.00 GC and 100.00 GC, Sunday Ticket Max free as well. 

Nice.

:jealous again:

Assuming you were out of contract?

Good for you on the deal!

Been disconnected over 12 hours. Not one email or phone call yet. Might call them tonight or wait until tomorrow.
I disconnected on Sunday and my phone was ringing Monday.   Look at your junk/spam phone calls.   The 870 phone number went to the spam folder on my Android phone.    I checked it on Wednesday and untagged it as spam.   

Assuming you were out of contract?

Good for you on the deal!
Correct, actually ran up today and didn’t know, but I gave in and signed a two year today instead of a 1 year to get all new equipment (much needed) for 6 TVs.

i know it will cost me this time next year on my negotiating next year but I’m confident I will still do ok as I have in the past while in contract it just takes a little more. 

Not true. You're service has to be actually disconnected for the winback Dept to offer you any thing.
In the past (I’m calling next week when I have more time), setting up the cancellation has been good enough for me as well.  They won’t actually call you for being pending but if you call them and say they called they’ll (sometimes?) go through with it. 

Made the call to the 870 #. Kind of confusing what they offered me but I took it. $60 off 12 months plus $95 off 12 months. Xtra package. Sunday Ticket Max which I think I'm actually being charged for but offset by those extra credits. No movie channels or gift cards offered. Said my bill would be $27.98 a month plus tax. Had them add HBO so that gets me to $45.97 plus tax. Want to get into my online account but locked out to verify everything is good. Had a password reset on chat bunsaid I'm locked out for an hour. Had similar issues their last year. Not quite sure how the numbers above add up so I'm still a little skeptical.

Well I got in to my account and I think everything is in order. 

Xtra package with 3 TVs 131.00

Sunday Ticket Max 66.00 for 6 months

$197.00 / month

95 * 12 and 60 * 12 credits

Net 42.00 mo first 6 months, net credit 24.00 mo last 6 mos?

Whoa.

I did add HBO at 17.99 / mo. If the above numbers are true I may add the remaining movie channels.

Bottom line, 155 * 12 = 1,860 in credits.

Last year saved:

$54 * 12 discounts = 648

$53 * 3 mos free movies = 159

Sunday Ticket Max = 400

Total 1,207 in credits

Crushed it then. That's like 650 in gift cards on top of last year's results.

Again, I got burned last year so I'm a little cautious here, but if all holds as shown, DirecTV just made me very happy.

$197.00 / month

95 * 12 and 60 * 12 credits

Net 42.00 mo first 6 months, net credit 24.00 mo last 6 mos?

Whoa.

I did add HBO at 17.99 / mo. If the above numbers are true I may add the remaining movie channels.

Bottom line, 155 * 12 = 1,860 in credits.

Last year saved:

$54 * 12 discounts = 648

$53 * 3 mos free movies = 159

Sunday Ticket Max = 400

Total 1,207 in credits

Again, I got burned last year so I'm a little cautious here, but if all holds as shown, DirecTV just made me very happy.
NICE!

I verified mine online yesterday in the Recent Transactions page:

Choice All-Inclusive package with 4 TVs - $119.00

Sunday Ticket Max - Free ($395 saved)

HBO - $18

Total before taxes:  $137/month

$55 X 12 and $45 X 12 credits ($1,200 saved)

Net $37/12 months Plus regional sports fees and taxes - $44 total

No credit cards either but I couldn't be happier given I was only 1 year into my 2 year contract (waived ETF as well since I re-upped for the year).  Saved $1,595 for the year.

Initially the rep said 2018 and 2019 STMax free but that was quickly removed as they only give 1 year at a time of ST or STMax (at least what I was told).

Next year we will see if I can maintain the savings when I have to go through this all over again....   I'd imagine the monthly savings will be replaced with gift cards....

Hey $2 in nickels is still $2....

Pretty phenomenal.   Nice work!  Now you can wait for someone to one up on you by getting paid to have DirecTV . 

So yesterday I got 

300.00 gift card

60.00 a month off for a year

Sunday ticket max free

all movie channels for 6 months free

they were scheduled to come today for free upgraded equipment, and he was two hours late, so they gave me ANOTHER 60.00 a month off for the next year, so my bill for 6 TVs , and the xtra package is right around 30.00 a month for the next year lol.

So yesterday I got 

300.00 gift card

60.00 a month off for a year

Sunday ticket max free

all movie channels for 6 months free

they were scheduled to come today for free upgraded equipment, and he was two hours late, so they gave me ANOTHER 60.00 a month off for the next year, so my bill for 6 TVs , and the xtra package is right around 30.00 a month for the next year lol.
Score!

They have to be bleeding customers to offer some of these deals.    I guess in the end, we are the minority who go through this process.   Most just accept the bills and call for their $5/month discount....

They have to be bleeding customers to offer some of these deals.    I guess in the end, we are the minority who go through this process.   Most just accept the bills and call for their $5/month discount....
Interesting how some just get the Sunday Ticket and others like me are instead offeredbig credits to cover it. This way I guess they can show a full paying Sunday Ticket customer. Probably have certain numbers they need to hit to justify they crazy amount they pay the NFL.

Sorry, that wasn't very clear.  She couldn't offer me that deal until I went through the cancellation process and called back.  I went to the cancellation department following my conversation with her and set up cancellation for Friday.  The service was cancelled when I woke up this morning.

Called her back at her direct number (855-291-0398, name is Luz) and got the exact offer she quoted me yesterday.  Just over $40 for 3 TVs, Choice package and Sunday Ticket Max for the next 12 months.  She said I was eligible for other sports packages and 2 months of Showtime as well, but I declined those options since I wasn't interested.

She also told me to call back in July next year before this discount expires to ensure I don't get surprised buy a high bill once the credit falls off.  She was very helpful and that number I provided did get me directly to her.  Again, I DID have to cancel before she could hook me up, but it was well worth being without DTV for a few hours.
By the way, I called the 870 number to get my deal but I was also given the 855-291-0398 call back number with any questions or issues. I believe I spoke to Sarah. If anyone is still looking for deals after disconnect, might help to just call that number directly as it seems a few have had good luck there.

Interesting how some just get the Sunday Ticket and others like me are instead offeredbig credits to cover it. This way I guess they can show a full paying Sunday Ticket customer. Probably have certain numbers they need to hit to justify they crazy amount they pay the NFL.
Were you able to log in to your account to verify all of it was entered?  In the Recent Transactions, it should show everything agreed to other than gift cards 

Just got off the phone. 15 minute call.

Last year I was given free ST, $57 off a month for 12 months, which would go down to $50 off a month for months 13-24, and a $100 or $200 gift card.

My 12 months credit just expired. Called today. She gave me an additional $60 off a month, my existing $50 a month still is on account, but I pay for ST. Dont watch red zone or the fantasy channel so I’m ok with just regular ST for $294.

So $110/month x 12 months= $1320

But pay $294 for ST. 

So net savings of $1026.

i know others have done better, but I’ll take it. 15 minutes. No hassle. No stress. No disconnect charade. 

Jeez. I have uVerse and they keep pushing Direct TV on me. At $230/month for TV/internet/phone, maybe I should reconsider. 

It is weird because I actually disconnected and other than offering me $5.00 off a month (I was already getting $50 but that was set to expire next month) I didn't get any other offers.  Didn't get any call backs after disconnecting either.  It would have had to be one heck of an offer to stay because I was ready to try the streaming route, but to not get any offers after seeing what some here got is kind of weird.  :shrug:

Buddy of mine just had the same success. 

1. Call 800 number, listen to offer, set cancelation for midnight.

2. Wait 12-16 hours, call number in this thread, say you missed a call.

3.  Bill went down from $120 to $30 -  Free Sunday Ticket Max, and HBO for a year.  Asked about the GC but they said that she had none left to give away.  "Each rep gets some at the beginning of the month and when they run out, they run out"   Not sure how true that is, but happy none the less.
So if they call you back do you answer it or not? Is the number in the thread you are referring to the one that starts with 870?

Can you call on a Sunday?

called normal number said cancel.. He said let me know if anything could keep you.. I said what are yo offering.  He said $60 off 12 months and Sunday Ticket for free.. No Sunday Ticket Max tho.  I'll pay the $99 or so after the 1st week preview

Call was literally done after 7 minutes.. Talked to the guy for maybe 3 total.

Ill take it

call and say you are interested in lowering the amount of your bill and would like to see if there are any current promotions running.
I just called them. They offered me $60 off my bill. No free Sunday ticket or gift cards like you guys say your getting. My bill is $173 and the lady said it’s going to be $146 after the discount. I told her I did not get her math and I wanted to go ahead and cancel. I think she kept getting confused on the new amount I’d owe because I have mlb extra innings on there but I paid it all at one time instead of over a few months...

Anyway I just said go ahead with the shut off and I scheduled it for Tuesday. She said also I’d owe $240 because I’m under contract and have a year left. It’s for upgraded equipment. 

I need advice. I don’t really want it to shut off. Will they be calling me before then? I’m a customer since 2001 (not quite 20 years). If they call do I hold out for a real good offer and if not getting what you guys are really shut it off? Do I call the other 870 number in the thread if they don’t call before the shut off?

Feels like a game of chicken. Surely they would want to keep me. I’m not very good at this game though I don’t think. 

I just called them. They offered me $60 off my bill. No free Sunday ticket or gift cards like you guys say your getting.
that is exactly what I got and was very happy with it.  Lowers my bill to $70 a month with every channel I want and all the equipment I need.

Not everyone gets the exact same thing.  Set your expectations and play to them.  If you want more you need to play the game more.  For me, a 5 minute call where I saved $720 for the year was perfect, for others they want more and do more to get it.

Just read the thread and find people who got things that you want and follow what they did with the acknowledgement that even if you do, you might not get the same deal.  This is more art than science.

that is exactly what I got and was very happy with it.  Lowers my bill to $70 a year with every channel I want and all the equipment I need.

Not everyone gets the exact same thing.  Set your expectations and play to them.  If you want more you need to play the game more.  For me, a 5 minute call where I saved $720 for the year was perfect, for others they want more and do more to get it.

Just read the thread and find people who got things that you want and follow what they did with the acknowledgement that even if you do, you might not get the same deal.  This is more art than science.
If they don’t call me back I guess I need to call and take it. I think I might cancel Sunday ticket. I’m not feeling as into football this year anyway. 

If they don’t call me back I guess I need to call and take it. I think I might cancel Sunday ticket. I’m not feeling as into football this year anyway. 
As I recommended, follow the thread for suggestions.  You don't need to wait for them to call.  You can be proactive as others have to get what they wanted.  Use the numbers recommended and the simple scripts others have used and see if you can do better.

I just called them. They offered me $60 off my bill. No free Sunday ticket or gift cards like you guys say your getting. My bill is $173 and the lady said it’s going to be $146 after the discount. I told her I did not get her math and I wanted to go ahead and cancel. I think she kept getting confused on the new amount I’d owe because I have mlb extra innings on there but I paid it all at one time instead of over a few months...

Anyway I just said go ahead with the shut off and I scheduled it for Tuesday. She said also I’d owe $240 because I’m under contract and have a year left. It’s for upgraded equipment. 

I need advice. I don’t really want it to shut off. Will they be calling me before then? I’m a customer since 2001 (not quite 20 years). If they call do I hold out for a real good offer and if not getting what you guys are really shut it off? Do I call the other 870 number in the thread if they don’t call before the shut off?

Feels like a game of chicken. Surely they would want to keep me. I’m not very good at this game though I don’t think. 
I too was in your situation.   I was a year into contract (1st year with Directv, not a long time subscriber), so new equipment (Genie whole home dvr, 5tvs, etc).   Had they offered the $60/month off initially I would have taken it and not went any further.    I’d have either paid for ST or tried to get it after season started.  

My situation was a bit different in that my ISP offer fios tv with the RZC.   My ISP told me they would pay my ETF ( had to stay a year with them though) so the ETF was not a factor in my decision making process to cancel Dtv.   I went ahead and cancelled (disconnected) last Sunday.   The 870 number called me M-T-W.   I finally answered and they asked what it would take to keep me...   This is where you need to negotiate.   I was willing to cancel and really had no intention of keeping Dtv.    I already had the fios tv installed and was happy with it so far.  I was overly happy with the deal they offered me and I kept dtv.   

What phone number are you guys calling for the initial cancellation call? Just the normal number and mention "cancel?"

I too was in your situation.   I was a year into contract (1st year with Directv, not a long time subscriber), so new equipment (Genie whole home dvr, 5tvs, etc).   Had they offered the $60/month off initially I would have taken it and not went any further.    I’d have either paid for ST or tried to get it after season started.  

My situation was a bit different.   My ISP offer fios tv with the RZC.   My ISP told me they would pay my ETF ( had to stay a year with them though) so the ETF was not a factor in my decision making process to cancel Dtv.   I went ahead and cancelled (disconnected) last Sunday.   The 870 number called me M-T-W.   I finally answered and they asked what it would take to keep me...   This is where you need to negotiate.   I was willing to cancel and really had no intention of keeping Dtv.    I already had the fios tv installed and was happy with it so far.  I was overly happy with the deal they offered me and I kept dtv.   
So you think I should have told them longer timeframe than Tuesday? Hope they call tomorrow. Surely though they aren’t finished trying to keep me. 

So you think I should have told them longer timeframe than Tuesday? Hope they call tomorrow. Surely though they aren’t finished trying to keep me. 
They won’t call typically until after you disconnect.   You may be able to call the 870 or 855 number and they may see you have disconnection scheduled and negotiate with you being a long time subscriber.   

Worth a shot....

Made the call, offered $30 off x 12. Already getting $50 off for the next year from last year's call. Care more about ST than any discount actually. She said there was no offer with ST so I set cancellation date for later this week. Now the wait...

They won’t call typically until after you disconnect.   You may be able to call the 870 or 855 number and they may see you have disconnection scheduled and negotiate with you being a long time subscriber.   

Worth a shot....
Thanks for the info. Didn’t know that.  If they won’t I’ll just see if they’ll still give me the offer from the regular number 

What phone number are you guys calling for the initial cancellation call? Just the normal number and mention "cancel?"
if you just want the $60 off deal, you don't even have to go with the cancel route.  Just call and say you want to lower your bill and are wondering what promotions are currently running.

Thanks for the info. Didn’t know that.  If they won’t I’ll just see if they’ll still give me the offer from the regular number 
Cancel and call the 870 number that next evening or the day after. Say you had a missed call about a winback offer. They should offer you a nice deal. Should be better than whatever they offer predisconnect.

I called up and it sounded like the email was premature. I went forward with negotiations and was satisfied with a B+.

12 month discount of $65

6 month discount to ioffset sportspack 13.99

6 month free cinemax

1 time 48.99 credit to offset 1 ST max payment.

$100 visa gift card

6 months free cinemax

So monthly payment for Xtra plus SportsPak, ST Max for 2 Tvs is 109 plus tax for 6 months then 43 for 6 months.

I might have done a little better by waiting a day but i was good with it.
So i thought everything was fine but... i can't sign into my directv account. My existing directv username password didn't work. So i tried to reset password and it told me invalid username. I folliwed the Forgot Username logic and they sent me some username that ATT created. I try to use that username and directv tells me that i can't use ATT username on directv. 

By now, totally frustrated, i call directv and they point me down the same paths i was already on.

So i called and canceled service again. We'll see if actually disconnecting gets their attention.

Grrrrrr.

So i thought everything was fine but... i can't sign into my directv account. My existing directv username password didn't work. So i tried to reset password and it told me invalid username. I folliwed the Forgot Username logic and they sent me some username that ATT created. I try to use that username and directv tells me that i can't use ATT username on directv. 

By now, totally frustrated, i call directv and they point me down the same paths i was already on.

So i called and canceled service again. We'll see if actually disconnecting gets their attention.

Grrrrrr.
So you can not login after disconnection?   If that’s the case, just use the chat function and they can get you set up.  This happened to me as well after I disconnected.   It took a few tries but it got fixed

So you can not login after disconnection?   If that’s the case, just use the chat function and they can get you set up.  This happened to me as well after I disconnected.   It took a few tries but it got fixed
I filed for disconnect then negotiated new deal. Now i can't sign in to account. Help was not very helpful. So im canceling again to see if they can get my account squared away.

I think it's standard practice to lose your login on reconnect. Happened to me last year and this year. Chat has to set you up. Will require a new email address and password. Then you can change back to your old if you wish. 

I think it's standard practice to lose your login on reconnect. Happened to me last year and this year. Chat has to set you up. Will require a new email address and password. Then you can change back to your old if you wish. 
I was able to re-use my old email address.   They just reset password.   The forgot password didn’t work, had to use the Chat feature and they will fix.   Sometimes they will ask you touse a different browser as well.....

Thanks for the heads up. Im going to let the disconnect go thru and then renegotiate then use chat.
Just an FYI, if you took a deal and then disconnect right away again, they may tell you you are not eligible for 6 months for deals. Part of my fiasco last year they reconnected and disconnected again trying to trigger offers and it screwed everything up. Hope that doesn't happen to you, maybe they have their process better together now. Think last year was worse because of ATT coming in.

Users who are viewing this thread