What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Found out my son is being abused. Update #696 (1 Viewer)

seahawk 17

Footballguy
Pretty long story, but I will try to give the short version... I get to see my children every summer for visitation. Last summer my son said his step dad was knocking him around pretty good. I call my ex and talked to her about the situation and she denied everything. I bought my son a cell phone and programed it with his local Sheriff's office and child welfare office. Told him if he touched him again and left a mark call the pre-programmed numbers. Apparently as soon as he got home, my ex takes his phone away and step dad works him over with a belt. I talked to him twice in the last year and it was only for a few minutes each time. Kids just got here recently for the summer visit. (I had no idea yet about the above) I tell my son that I am going to take him to the doctor about his allergies and ask him if there is anything else he needs like a sports physical. He says he needs his thumb looked at he thinks it's broken. He goes on to tell me that his mom beat him with a broom, and then tells me everything his step dad did to him in the last year. Hitting him with belts, paddles, a cheese grater and other items. He says that his mom took him out of all school activities so that he can't tell. He is not allowed to leave his room, he is not allowed to have friends over or go to other people's houses. She works at the school and if he told a teacher they would believe her, and he would be in trouble for telling. So, I enroll both my children in counseling and my daughter backs up her brother's stories...she has seen him being beat, stabbed with keys, and whole handprints on his body(ex called and told the counselor if she saw the children she will sue her), called my local child welfare office and they have been interviewed. The counselor states that I should file for immediate danger custody, so I do that. Contact my ex and tell her we have a court date for custody, she states if I go to court I will never see the kids again, and calls both of my children lyers. Tuesday I had my court date, roll in their and LOST :rant: . Ex lies about me contacting her last year, lies that I called her about the hearing...(even though she managed to call in and her attorney was there) she flipped the script on me and says it's a child support issue and that's why I am making false accusations. They call my child welfare worker and he was on vacation. Judge says I have no proof of abuse and dismissed it. Ex calls 20 minitues after court and tells the kids she knows what they did and she will deal with them when they return. :unsure: So, my children are scared to death, I ####ed everything up and they are due to return at the end of the month. Oregon child welfare is investigating but told me since there are no marks on my son there is not much they can do. I called my local police, they won't do anything because they live in another state. I called the police station in the other state and they won't do anything because they are currently here. I called their home state's child welfare and they told me the investigation won't be completed before they are due to leave. They said if they do find abuse my children would be in foster care for 4-6 months before they could send them back to Oregon. I saw an attorney today, he said theres not much he can do to stop the return to my ex by the departure date but he will try for 3,000.00. He told me if I was worried not to send them back. He thinks he can plead the custodial interference (which is what I would be arrested for) down to a misdemeanor. Thinks I will only do twenty days county time, and two years probation. The system sucks...and the system is failing my children. I read about it all the time but it's different when your involved. My children our scared to death and I feel like I have failed them. I really don't think going to jail will solve anything, even though I am prepared to do that. I refuse to have my children in foster care. It wasn't short and I apologize, not looking for legal advice...I guess I need to know what the shark move is? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
What a terrible story Seahawk. You wrote you're not looking for legal advice but at this point that is exactly what you need. You need a lawyer that specializes in child protection that can advise you. Really hope it turns out OK.

I was on the other side of that as a kid. Step father abused me horribly. Mother was complicit. Dad didn't know. Didn't find out until I told him in college. By then, mother and the guy divorced. Wish someone had protected me. Let that be the fire in your gut. Kids NEED you. Don't know that I've ever gotten fully past the abuse. Never really leaves.

What a terrible story Seahawk. You wrote you're not looking for legal advice but at this point that is exactly what you need. You need a lawyer that specializes in child protection that can advise you. Really hope it turns out OK.
I'm one of the few FBG's in the low tax bracket... :confused: so I took a loan out on my 401k today to get an attorney. My concern is the timeline, if they get sent back...my son is in huge trouble.(He's 12)

I saw an attorney today, he said theres not much he can do to stop the return to my ex by the departure date but he will try for 3,000.00. He told me if I was worried not to send them back. He thinks he can plead the custodial interference (which is what I would be arrested for) down to a misdemeanor. Thinks I will only do twenty days county time, and two years probation.
this is quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard attributed to a lawyer. you get a criminal conviction and do time in the middle of this, there is basically no hope you will get custody.

I'm one of the few FBG's in the low tax bracket... :confused: so I took a loan out on my 401k today to get an attorney. My concern is the timeline, if they get sent back...my son is in huge trouble.(He's 12)
get a better attorney than the one you talked to

I was on the other side of that as a kid. Step father abused me horribly. Mother was complicit. Dad didn't know. Didn't find out until I told him in college. By then, mother and the guy divorced. Wish someone had protected me. Let that be the fire in your gut. Kids NEED you. Don't know that I've ever gotten fully past the abuse. Never really leaves.
I don't think people understand how hard it is for kids to come forward. I know enough of what's going on, but I am sure there is a lot more that they are not telling. I don't want to bring up stuff to hurt you, but what's with these moms that bury their head in the sand, and protect these guys?

I'm one of the few FBG's in the low tax bracket... :unsure: so I took a loan out on my 401k today to get an attorney. My concern is the timeline, if they get sent back...my son is in huge trouble.(He's 12)
:confused:

Wow, that's just terrible. As a father my initial reaction would be to beat the stepfather into a pulp but that doesn't get you anywhere except jail.

Getting a lwyer that specializes in child custody sounds like a good first step though.

awful story. I wish I had some helpful advice, but definitely seems like you should talk to a different attorney. seems there has to be a better alternative than the one he presented.

Unfortunately I don't have any advice that will keep you out of jail.

Jesus, best of luck with this...makes any problems I have seem small.

what's with these moms that bury their head in the sand, and protect these guys?
They're probably afraid of getting beaten themselves. Cowardly, but understandable.
Perhaps, but as far as I am concerned, hitting your kid with a broom should be a no, no.
Of course. I was just talking about the general case, where women stand by men who beat children. If your ex is involved in the abuse then she's just as big a piece of #### as the stepfather. They should both be locked up and sterilized.

There's two types of people in the world I hate people that abuse animals and people that abuse children. If I were you I blow the ####ers head off, but I know that's not a logical choice, so I'd find a better lawyer, and there might be a chance this guy is abusing your wife.

One idea- dunno if it will work- perhaps you could contact the school your son is attending and inform them of your concern. If they see any signs of abuse, then they are obligated to contact Child Protective Services, who may take the school's concern more seriously than they would take yours as a parent. They may even remove your son from his stepdad.

It's just a thought...

I don't think people understand how hard it is for kids to come forward. I know enough of what's going on, but I am sure there is a lot more that they are not telling. I don't want to bring up stuff to hurt you, but what's with these moms that bury their head in the sand, and protect these guys?
Never will forgive my mother. The one time, I was about 12, that I threatened to call the police on my step dad, he made sure I didn't forget it. I thought about doing it anyway, with the fresh welts and brusies, but didn't have the guts. Thought he'd kill me or I'd end up God knows where. Dysfunction is terrible. Family dynamic was all about hiding the yelling, threats, crying, insults, ridicule, anger when others were around. As soon as they left, the cruelty begins. But you learn to be embarrassed of showing it to others, even when you're the victim. It's ####### awful and now that you're on that end of it, I wish you all the best. If it were me and my kids, Heaven forbid, after what I went through I'd have a hard time not taking a baseball bat to the guy. Don't! But be tenatious. Your kids need you more than you know and they'll thank you someday, even if your popping the bubble of their existence and exposing the pain is temporarily uncomfortable for them.And as far as their mother... #### that #####. Weak, selfish women who put their own interests before the safety and security of their kids... Nothing worse. My mother did everything she could to disempower and discourage me as a kid, rather than nurture and build me up. I'll never understand it and every day I work to do the opposite with my kids (one a week old today.) I always tell me oldest son that there's nothing he can't do or be. Shower him with hugs and praise. THAT is the atmosphere that every kid deserves. Insist, fight and claw for them to get it.And good luck to you!

Last edited:
I refuse to have my children in foster care.
I feel for you, but if your kids are getting beat by their stepfather and you're not allowed to take them in, you should reconsider this position imo.
I guess it's a big mess because of location, but I don't understand why it would take 4-6 months to get them back to Oregon. They should be able to call and say "come pick up your kids, there is abuse occuring in their home." :lmao:

I'm one of the few FBG's in the low tax bracket... :lmao: so I took a loan out on my 401k today to get an attorney. My concern is the timeline, if they get sent back...my son is in huge trouble.(He's 12)
Good posting. Best of luck.

Sorry to hear about this.

What did the Doctor have to say when you took your son in?

And I really hate to ask this, but has your daughter seen a doctor?

If I were in that situation, I would make sure I knew the law in both states about child custody and what happens if she and the step dad were thrown in jail.

I would then start the frame job. Get video in the home to record the abuse, hire a private eye to see if they can get anything on tape or witness it, and plant drugs in the home, somehow getting the drugs into their systems.

Trust me, I'd get this done and make sure the state has no choice but to give you 100% custody.

Someone beating/abusing my children? Honestly, I'm not sure I would be able to remain sane.

Good god. As a father, hell as a human freaking being, you have my sympathy.

I would also say that you're a better man than I. If that was my son he'd be staying with a friend while I was on an airplane to "discuss" this matter first ####ing hand with the step-dad. And I'd use that broomstick to make my ex-wife into a human popsicle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Never will forgive my mother. The one time, I was about 12, that I threatened to call the police on my step dad, he made sure I didn't forget it. I thought about doing it anyway, with the fresh welts and brusies, but didn't have the guts. Thought he'd kill me or I'd end up God knows where. Dysfunction is terrible. Family dynamic was all about hiding the yelling, threats, crying, insults, ridicule, anger when others are around. As soon as they leave, the cruelty begins. But you learn to be embarrassed of showing it to others, even when you're the victim. It's ####### awful and now that you're on that end of it, I wish you all the best. If it were me and my kids, Heaven forbid, after what I went through I'd have a hard time not taking a baseball bat to the guy. Don't! But be tenatious. Your kids need you more than you know and they'll thank you someday, even if your popping the bubble of their existence and exposing the pain is temporarily uncomfortable for them.And as far as their mother... #### that #####. Weak, selfish women who put their own interests before the safety and security of their kids... Nothing worse. My mother did everything she could to disempower and encourage me as a kid, rather than nurture and build me up. I'll never understand it and every day I work to do the opposite with my kids (one a week old today.) I always tell me oldest son that there's nothing he can't do or be. Shower him with hugs and praise. THAT is the atmosphere that every kid deserves. Insist, fight and claw for them to get it.And good luck to you!
I'll refer back to your post often, thank you for that. Congrats on the new baby. :lmao:

wow...what a terrible story. I think my strategy would be to set up a residence in her local area so at least you don't have to deal with different state lines/jurisdictions. Work with the local PD and possibly hire a PI to keep tabs on the kids. That way, the minute something happens you can be there.

I feel for you, but if your kids are getting beat by their stepfather and you're not allowed to take them in, you should reconsider this position imo.
I guess it's a big mess because of location, but I don't understand why it would take 4-6 months to get them back to Oregon. They should be able to call and say "come pick up your kids, there is abuse occuring in their home." :lmao:
I understand and agree. I'm just saying, if it turns out your only short-term options are (a) kids go back to the stepfather, or (b) kids go into foster care, put them in the foster care. I wish you and the kids the best.

Never will forgive my mother. The one time, I was about 12, that I threatened to call the police on my step dad, he made sure I didn't forget it. I thought about doing it anyway, with the fresh welts and brusies, but didn't have the guts. Thought he'd kill me or I'd end up God knows where. Dysfunction is terrible. Family dynamic was all about hiding the yelling, threats, crying, insults, ridicule, anger when others are around. As soon as they leave, the cruelty begins. But you learn to be embarrassed of showing it to others, even when you're the victim. It's ####### awful and now that you're on that end of it, I wish you all the best. If it were me and my kids, Heaven forbid, after what I went through I'd have a hard time not taking a baseball bat to the guy. Don't! But be tenatious. Your kids need you more than you know and they'll thank you someday, even if your popping the bubble of their existence and exposing the pain is temporarily uncomfortable for them.And as far as their mother... #### that #####. Weak, selfish women who put their own interests before the safety and security of their kids... Nothing worse. My mother did everything she could to disempower and encourage me as a kid, rather than nurture and build me up. I'll never understand it and every day I work to do the opposite with my kids (one a week old today.) I always tell me oldest son that there's nothing he can't do or be. Shower him with hugs and praise. THAT is the atmosphere that every kid deserves. Insist, fight and claw for them to get it.And good luck to you!
I'll refer back to your post often, thank you for that. Congrats on the new baby. :lmao:
Thanks and :thumbup:

One idea- dunno if it will work- perhaps you could contact the school your son is attending and inform them of your concern. If they see any signs of abuse, then they are obligated to contact Child Protective Services, who may take the school's concern more seriously than they would take yours as a parent. They may even remove your son from his stepdad. It's just a thought...
School is out for summer. We raised our kids to always trust a teacher, but she has destroyed that with in them, because she works for the school. :lmao:

I understand and agree. I'm just saying, if it turns out your only short-term options are (a) kids go back to the stepfather, or (b) kids go into foster care, put them in the foster care. I wish you and the kids the best.
Sorry, you are correct. Foster care would be better than abuse. Thank you for the advice.

wow. I have no good advice other than the better lawyer. I had concerns my daughter was being abused and worked the system with a pretty good lawyer and a dumb ex and took custody of my daughter when she was 4. I sometimes wrestle with the decision to effectively make it very difficult for her mother to see her all these years, but she is now 17, an honor student and loves her stepmother very much.

We make the best decisions we can in difficult situations.

Best of luck.

I may have missed it, but is your daughter older or younger? Does she receive any beatings?

When my daughter was much younger she was sexually abused by a neighbor. My best advice to you from that experience is to be persistent in your legal actions and regardless of what others' opinions are, be true to your children.

Good luck.

Sorry to hear about this.What did the Doctor have to say when you took your son in?And I really hate to ask this, but has your daughter seen a doctor?
No. My daughter states she has seen the abuse and that's all. She said that this guy has left whole handprints on my son and when stuff kicks off she hides. (Which breaks my heart.) She does keep a diary and says she has dates and what has happened. I wish I could get my hands on that.

I may have missed it, but is your daughter older or younger? Does she receive any beatings?When my daughter was much younger she was sexually abused by a neighbor. My best advice to you from that experience is to be persistent in your legal actions and regardless of what others' opinions are, be true to your children.Good luck.
Son is 12, daughter is 10. No reported abuse, but she is scared to death now that mom knows that they have told people what is going on.

Sorry to hear that. I have 2 boys, 5 & 4, and could not image a situation like this.

Just a quick thought, not knowing your work/money situation or where the kids live with mom.

Maybe go back with them at the end of summer, if you can't get anything done prior. Talk to the local police there, inform them of what your children have told you. Have a "civil" discussion with mom & stepdad, and if possible stay in the area for a few weeks. I think if this guy and possibly mom, are abusing your kid, and are pissed he told, they may just try to teach him a lesson shortly after he returns. If you're in the area, maybe you can be there for him if needed. Also, I'd rather look this dirt bag in the face, and tell him how you feel, if you can do so without killing him. Put his punk a## on notice, that you will be in constent contact with your kids, and if you do not hear from them you'll contact the police, or will be at their house.

I know this could quickly lead to your ex calling the police and saying you're there threatening them and what not, but I strongly believe you need to talk to them face to face. Keep trying to pull strings before they have to return, but it seems like they'll have to go back.

Best of luck to you and your kids. Hope jail time is in the step dads future.

I talked to him twice in the last year and it was only for a few minutes each time.
So you find out your son is being abused and you only talk to him twice in the next year?

Wait... so your son says he is being abused and his sister says she has seen it happen and the court says there is no evidence?! What?!

I'm shocked it hasn't been mentioned, but it is the nuclear option. Putting the step-dad out of commission at any cost. I understand the repercussions fully. But in the end we always say that we are willing to die for our kids. Isn't this the one scenario where you must be willing to take drastic steps?

I talked to him twice in the last year and it was only for a few minutes each time.
So you find out your son is being abused and you only talk to him twice in the next year?
Talked to mom and thought issue was resolved. I call my daughter every week and nothing was said. He was always "gone, or busy." I had no clue he was on lock down.

I'm shocked it hasn't been mentioned, but it is the nuclear option. Putting the step-dad out of commission at any cost. I understand the repercussions fully. But in the end we always say that we are willing to die for our kids. Isn't this the one scenario where you must be willing to take drastic steps?
Nuke him from orbit?

Users who are viewing this thread