What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP Voice of God (1 Viewer)

I was 5 when I went to my first game at the Stadium and his voice was almost intimidating as it boomed over the loudspeakers. I still get a chill up my spine when I hear his recording everytime Jeter comes to bat. RIP Mr Sheppard. Thanks for the memories!

I saw the thread earlier and thought "awe, that's sad" and moved on.....

Tonight I watched this

WOW.

I used to go to a ton of games and haven't gone in a while. I peaked in 96' going to The Stadium. Game 6.

It hit me that I barely know a Yankee game without Bob Sheppard.

My 1st time hearing 'God' was Sept 10, 1983:

Willie Randolph

Ken Griffey

Dave Winfield

Graig Nettles

Oscar Gamble

Don Baylor PH

Don Mattingly RF

Butch Wynegar

Roy Smalley

Omar Moreno

Bert Campaneris

SP Shane Rawley

Game 2: John Montefusco

It was a double header Vs Baltimore, Yankees were down 5 games and were hoping to close the gap to 3.. They got swept and I was miserable.

I could hear Sheppard run thru that lineup though.

When my fiance and I first got engaged (late 2007), my first idea for the wedding was to see if there would be a way to get Bob to do a recording of our bridal party announcement for the intro at the reception. I contacted the Yankees, who put me in touch with Bob's son Paul. Paul told me that since the wedding was nearly 18 months away, too much could change with our groomsmen/bridesmaids, etc, and he didn't want to have his dad do it all over again. I didn't have the stones to remind him that his dad was 97 years old and wasn't a lock to be around to do the recording for us. But I heeded his advice, and got back in touch with him in the spring of 2009 hoping he'd still be in good enough health to do it.

We were instructed to send him a script and an old school blank cassette tape, and about a week later I got a care package with the announcement of each member of the wedding party...except our parents. I got in touch with Paul, and a few days later had another cassette tape with an entire re-recording featuring everyone, plus a few wrinkles thrown in I had asked for. Our DJ did a little clean-up on the audio, put in an echo sound effect, and we had quite possibly the greatest wedding introduction in history. Each couple had their own song play as they walked in, like an at-bat. As a matter of fact, since we were obviously announced last and we had him read it as Nicole and Michael Brown, then unless someone else had him do a personalized recording since April 2009, I might just be the last person he ever announced for public use! Of all the things we did for the wedding, the thing we got more compliments on than anything was the idea to have him announce the wedding party. What a class act, and a truly great man.

RIP Bob, gone but never forgotten.

When my fiance and I first got engaged (late 2007), my first idea for the wedding was to see if there would be a way to get Bob to do a recording of our bridal party announcement for the intro at the reception. I contacted the Yankees, who put me in touch with Bob's son Paul. Paul told me that since the wedding was nearly 18 months away, too much could change with our groomsmen/bridesmaids, etc, and he didn't want to have his dad do it all over again. I didn't have the stones to remind him that his dad was 97 years old and wasn't a lock to be around to do the recording for us. But I heeded his advice, and got back in touch with him in the spring of 2009 hoping he'd still be in good enough health to do it.We were instructed to send him a script and an old school blank cassette tape, and about a week later I got a care package with the announcement of each member of the wedding party...except our parents. I got in touch with Paul, and a few days later had another cassette tape with an entire re-recording featuring everyone, plus a few wrinkles thrown in I had asked for. Our DJ did a little clean-up on the audio, put in an echo sound effect, and we had quite possibly the greatest wedding introduction in history. Each couple had their own song play as they walked in, like an at-bat. As a matter of fact, since we were obviously announced last and we had him read it as Nicole and Michael Brown, then unless someone else had him do a personalized recording since April 2009, I might just be the last person he ever announced for public use! Of all the things we did for the wedding, the thing we got more compliments on than anything was the idea to have him announce the wedding party. What a class act, and a truly great man.RIP Bob, gone but never forgotten.
That's kick ###.

When my fiance and I first got engaged (late 2007), my first idea for the wedding was to see if there would be a way to get Bob to do a recording of our bridal party announcement for the intro at the reception. I contacted the Yankees, who put me in touch with Bob's son Paul. Paul told me that since the wedding was nearly 18 months away, too much could change with our groomsmen/bridesmaids, etc, and he didn't want to have his dad do it all over again. I didn't have the stones to remind him that his dad was 97 years old and wasn't a lock to be around to do the recording for us. But I heeded his advice, and got back in touch with him in the spring of 2009 hoping he'd still be in good enough health to do it.We were instructed to send him a script and an old school blank cassette tape, and about a week later I got a care package with the announcement of each member of the wedding party...except our parents. I got in touch with Paul, and a few days later had another cassette tape with an entire re-recording featuring everyone, plus a few wrinkles thrown in I had asked for. Our DJ did a little clean-up on the audio, put in an echo sound effect, and we had quite possibly the greatest wedding introduction in history. Each couple had their own song play as they walked in, like an at-bat. As a matter of fact, since we were obviously announced last and we had him read it as Nicole and Michael Brown, then unless someone else had him do a personalized recording since April 2009, I might just be the last person he ever announced for public use! Of all the things we did for the wedding, the thing we got more compliments on than anything was the idea to have him announce the wedding party. What a class act, and a truly great man.RIP Bob, gone but never forgotten.
Very cool story.Regardless if you're a Yankee fan or not his voice gave the stadium an instant cathedral like aura."Ladies and gentlemen . . . . . welcome to Yankee Stadium"RIP BOB

That's kick ###.
:mellow:

That's kick ###.
:shrug:
:thumbup:

Cool story MB.

Very sad day in the Yankeefan house when we heard. It occurred to me that when the recent string of old booth guys started passing away that one day I wouldn't hear Bob Shepard anymore. He was the voice of Yankee Stadium. It's very sound. The silence that George referred to will be deafening whenever I go back. It sucks that my son won't get to hear Mr. Shepard like I did.

And Kudos to Derek Jeter for keeping it alive for a time for all of us. In a week where we were bombarded with athletes and stories of how they simply don't get it or don't care, he is doing something perfect.

Yankee23Fan said:
Cool story MB.

Very sad day in the Yankeefan house when we heard. It occurred to me that when the recent string of old booth guys started passing away that one day I wouldn't hear Bob Shepard anymore. He was the voice of Yankee Stadium. It's very sound. The silence that George referred to will be deafening whenever I go back. It sucks that my son won't get to hear Mr. Shepard like I did.

And Kudos to Derek Jeter for keeping it alive for a time for all of us. In a week where we were bombarded with athletes and stories of how they simply don't get it or don't care, he is doing something perfect.
:lmao: There's just something perfect about hearing "Now batting...number 2....Derek...Jeter.......number 2"

I think it's gonna be a dusty room this Saturday at Old Timers Day.

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: Very nice...very nice indeed. :goodposting:

Yankee23Fan said:
Cool story MB.

:unsure: There's just something perfect about hearing "Now batting...number 2....Derek...Jeter.......number 2"

I think it's gonna be a dusty room this Saturday at Old Timers Day.
;) Ill be there

Users who are viewing this thread