What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Forsett an Ascendant Talent? (1 Viewer)

Ravens RB situation is a mess right now. I think the only guy that has a shot of taking over the job full time is Dixon, and that would be the 2nd half of the season at best.

Dropped him for Diggs and actually dont regret it. Someone in my league picked up Dixon today, which was part of the reason I dropped Forsett but no way I let an unproven guy like Dixon rot on my bench for a month. The offense will def be better now that Flacco is healthy, but this just feels like a dreaded 3-4 headed RBBC. I think what makes me happiest is someone picked up Forsett today for 20% of our FAAB. I think Forsett has the best chance to be the best RB in BAL for fantasy purposes this year, but this just looks like a headache. Will definitely avoid the BAL backfield in my draft tonight.

I went zero RB in my draft, AND I drafted Josh Gordon as my WR #4 so Forsett is my RB3 and starting in my flex week 1 (and maybe till Gordon returns).

Dont love it, but definitely don't hate it either.  I think a combined 15 touches per game is reasonable for Forsett in the first few weeks.

Justin Forsett as the lead dog in a crowded backfield or Robert Kelley's potential opportunity?

Not a WDIS.  Kelley is on ww, trying to compare value.

Last edited by a moderator:
Justin Forsett as the lead dog in a crowded backfield or Robert Kelley's potential opportunity?

Not a WDIS.  Kelley is on ww, trying to compare value.
I had this choice and am holding out with forsett just to see what happens. Matt jones is supposed to play so I'm thinking Kelley can stay under the radar for a little while and ideally we can gauge the forsett situation better. 

I had this choice and am holding out with forsett just to see what happens. Matt jones is supposed to play so I'm thinking Kelley can stay under the radar for a little while and ideally we can gauge the forsett situation better. 
I just saw this blurb on Rotoword~

Matt Jones (shoulder) is listed as questionable for Monday night against the Steelers.
Despite the questionable tag, Jones will certainly play after practicing in full all week. He may lose work to Rob Kelley and Chris Thompson, but he is a borderline RB2 this week.

Source: ESPN
Sep 10 - 1:35 PM

I have no idea how "questionable but will certainly play" plays out, but it's possible Kelley only stays under the radar until Monday night.  In the meantime, I know Dixon is coming back for his share of the pie.  If Forsett goes off for a week or two, it won't be the first time I've mashed a square peg into a round hole in FF!   :loco:

I just saw this blurb on Rotoword~

Matt Jones (shoulder) is listed as questionable for Monday night against the Steelers.
Despite the questionable tag, Jones will certainly play after practicing in full all week. He may lose work to Rob Kelley and Chris Thompson, but he is a borderline RB2 this week.

Source: ESPN
Sep 10 - 1:35 PM

I have no idea how "questionable but will certainly play" plays out, but it's possible Kelley only stays under the radar until Monday night.  In the meantime, I know Dixon is coming back for his share of the pie.  If Forsett goes off for a week or two, it won't be the first time I've mashed a square peg into a round hole in FF!   :loco:

I'm guessing the questionable but will certainly play relates to the removal of the probable designation.

Although I haven't seen Forsett play much at all this year he has been a very effective RB when healthy the last two seasons. The Ravens parting ways with him puts that into question.

However I would think there are several teams who could use him. Detroit or the Colts seem like good fits. Or how about (gulp) Miami, Carolina, Tampa, Houston or San Diego?

eta- I could also see him in Minnesota. He might be an upgrade over Ronnie Hillman who was inactive in most recent game.

miami was my first thought.  Someone else pointed out Pats - i could see that if he plays for no $$$.

jmsalsa said:
miami was my first thought.  Someone else pointed out Pats - i could see that if he plays for no $$$.
I know the running joke that every FA is perfect for NE, but they really were my first thought. They have White catching balls there but he hasn't been anything special or shown any big play ability as of yet. I think the biggest factor is where Dion is in his recovery.

Biabreakable said:
Although I haven't seen Forsett play much at all this year he has been a very effective RB when healthy the last two seasons. The Ravens parting ways with him puts that into question.

However I would think there are several teams who could use him. Detroit or the Colts seem like good fits. Or how about (gulp) Miami, Carolina, Tampa, Houston or San Diego?

eta- I could also see him in Minnesota. He might be an upgrade over Ronnie Hillman who was inactive in most recent game.
Giants could use him ... their rbs suck

Giants could use him ... their rbs suck
That would be interesting because I think the Giants offensive line did a great  job and are playing very well.

I don't think the Giants current RB are as bad as you suggest though. Rainey forced a lot of missed tackles and Perkins had one of the most explosive plays the Vikings defense has given up all season.

That would be interesting because I think the Giants offensive line did a great  job and are playing very well.

I don't think the Giants current RB are as bad as you suggest though. Rainey forced a lot of missed tackles and Perkins had one of the most explosive plays the Vikings defense has given up all season.
Perkins is their best answer, I think.  Needs some gearing up but I think he fits best long term in how this offense could run and threaten defenses.

Felt good to finally get this guy off my dynasty rosters.  He was a true WW blessing in '14, but he's been wasting roster space ever since. 

Felt good to finally get this guy off my dynasty rosters.  He was a true WW blessing in '14, but he's been wasting roster space ever since. 
Exactly. Everyone who has owned Forsett the last 2 years feels this way. Justifiably so - he has been completely ineffective.

Yet there are fools in TSP who think he'll walk onto another roster & take away work from younger, more talented RBs. Amazing.

Any news out of Detroit after the Lions visit yesterday?

Forsett signed with the Lions per his agent
Happy for him, seems like a decent man.

I can see Forsett quickly settling in as the early down back for Detroit.  This is crushing news for the Dwayne Washington truthers (myself included), who may now downgrade Washington from the second-coming to merely a top 5 RB.  :P

Happy for him, seems like a decent man.

I can see Forsett quickly settling in as the early down back for Detroit.  This is crushing news for the Dwayne Washington truthers (myself included), who may now downgrade Washington from the second-coming to merely a top 5 RB.  :P
Crushing news is a bit of a reach. He only plays if DW can't.

Exactly. Everyone who has owned Forsett the last 2 years feels this way. Justifiably so - he has been completely ineffective.

Yet there are fools in TSP who think he'll walk onto another roster & take away work from younger, more talented RBs. Amazing.
He missed the last 6 games of 2015 and has not played as effectively since then, but in the 10 games he was healthy he averaged 79.4 combined yards per game and was on pace for 242 rushing attempts 1026 rushing yards 70 receptions 421 yards. I wouldn't call that completely ineffective. This is actually pretty similar to his career year in 2014 just not as many TDs and his YPC declined from 5.4 in 2014 to only 4.2 in 2015.

2015 was his age 30 season adding another example of RB decline at this land mark. I do think there was reason to think he could play at a similar level again in 2016 as some RBs have been showing the ability to do past age 30 recently. Based on his play post injury and even some signs of decline in effectiveness in 2015 that does not seem to be the case, but I was at least open to that possibility.

I think your comments are overly critical because Forsett was RB 12 over the first 10 weeks of 2015 when he was healthy.

He does not seem to be playing at that level anymore obviously or the Ravens would not have let him go, but your criticism of his effectiveness for fantasy football in 2015 does not have merit.

He missed the last 6 games of 2015 and has not played as effectively since then, but in the 10 games he was healthy he averaged 79.4 combined yards per game and was on pace for 242 rushing attempts 1026 rushing yards 70 receptions 421 yards. I wouldn't call that completely ineffective. This is actually pretty similar to his career year in 2014 just not as many TDs and his YPC declined from 5.4 in 2014 to only 4.2 in 2015.

2015 was his age 30 season adding another example of RB decline at this land mark. I do think there was reason to think he could play at a similar level again in 2016 as some RBs have been showing the ability to do past age 30 recently. Based on his play post injury and even some signs of decline in effectiveness in 2015 that does not seem to be the case, but I was at least open to that possibility.

I think your comments are overly critical because Forsett was RB 12 over the first 10 weeks of 2015 when he was healthy.

He does not seem to be playing at that level anymore obviously or the Ravens would not have let him go, but your criticism of his effectiveness for fantasy football in 2015 does not have merit.
RB12 in 2015??

On a PPG basis, Forsett was RB34 in standard and RB27 in PPR

Look at the game logs. Look at last year's ADP. - 2.07 in12 team PPR, RB10. He was a huge disappointment. Two decent games bumped him up to 79.4 YFS, but that was a huge drop from 95+, fewer receptions, fewer TDs.

B, you know I respect your opinion, but you're off key here. I stand by what I posted.

FTR, I owe last year's title to Forsett. After Week 4, the guy who ride him to a title in 2014 traded for him. I got A-Rob to pair with AB.

And he does seem like a really solid guy. Like Joique Bell, the NFL is just better off having some guys repping.

But he has not been as effective since mid-December 2014 as he was during most of his pro bowl season. I don't expect his stay in Detroit to be a long one. 

BobbyLayne said:
RB12 in 2015??

On a PPG basis, Forsett was RB34 in standard and RB27 in PPR

Look at the game logs. Look at last year's ADP. - 2.07 in12 team PPR, RB10. He was a huge disappointment. Two decent games bumped him up to 79.4 YFS, but that was a huge drop from 95+, fewer receptions, fewer TDs.

B, you know I respect your opinion, but you're off key here. I stand by what I posted.
Those are end of year stats are not the same as the stats over the 10 games that Forsett was healthy which is what I posted. He was injured in week 11 which shortened that game for him.I was only talking about PPR leagues. Forsett obviously much worse in standard leagues.

Here He was RB 18 in standard leagues for weeks 1-10 in 2015.

Here He was RB 12 in PPR leagues for weeks 1-10 in 2015.

2015 game logs

Rk

Date

G#

Tm

Opp

Result

Att

Yds

Y/A

TD

Tgt

Rec

Yds

Y/R

TD

Ctch%

Y/Tgt

TD

Pts

2015-09-13

29-334

BAL

@

DEN

L 13-19

57.1%

2015-09-20

29-341

BAL

@

OAK

L 33-37

100.0%

2015-09-27

29-348

BAL

CIN

L 24-28

57.1%

2015-10-01

29-352

BAL

@

PIT

W 23-20

0.0%

2015-10-11

29-362

BAL

CLE

L 30-33

80.0%

2015-10-18

30-004

BAL

@

SFO

L 20-25

87.5%

2015-10-26

30-012

BAL

@

ARI

L 18-26

75.0%

2015-11-01

30-018

BAL

SDG

W 29-26

100.0%

2015-11-15

30-032

BAL

JAX

L 20-22

100.0%

2015-11-22

30-039

BAL

STL

W 16-13

0.0%

In the first 3 games he did not run the ball effectively and did not have good yards per reception either, but he did have 4 receptions each game which still made him a decent floor in PPR leagues. 80 total yards in the 2nd game. The game against the Bengals was not good.

Then he had 2 games over 100 rushing yards, the Cleveland game he had 170 combined yards and 1 TD.

Game 6 he had 101 combined yards 7 receptions.

Game 7 against the Cardinals not a good match up but he did have a TD in this game.

Game 8 vs SD 74 combined yards.

Game 9 vs Jax 64 combined yards 4 receptions.

Game 10 he actually was running the ball well on his 4 carries before being injured. I didn't include this because he obviously left the game pretty early.

I am not saying this is great. His yards per reception are really low in most of these games and he really only had 2 good games against the Steelers and Cleveland. But he was good enough to be a RB 2 when he was healthy in PPR leagues. I think people who had him in standard leagues should have had much lower expectations.

I didn't know people were drafting him that high. I can see why folks would find his performance disappointing if they invested that much into him. I suppose this was based off of his career year and being aligned with Trestman.

I have always liked Forsett, even as a rookie. His career has not been that successful outside of 2014, but what he did that season was something I have always felt he was capable of. He seems to have declined at age 30 as many RB do. His performance looks a lot worse as you say if you compare him to RB who actually stayed healthy for most of the season instead of only looking at the weeks Forsett was healthy.

It seems interesting that Trestman was fired and Forsett let go at around pretty much the same time this year.

I was doing some research of RB footwork, trying to learn more about what is good footwork and what isn't. I found a video of Forsett teaching footwork drills and explaining what good technique is. I think he demonstrates that well. I was able to learn some things about it from Forsett.

I took some small offense to you calling people fools for thinking Forsett was any good as I try to not be a fool and I do think Forsett has shown some good traits and abilities as a RB. He is 31 now and the Ravens would not have let him go if he was playing better than their other options, but I do think he was/is a talented RB. He is just past his prime now.

Users who are viewing this thread