What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do "dawn" and "don" rhyme? (1 Viewer)

Do "dawn" and "don" rhyme?

• Yes

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 120 65.6%

• Total voters
which question(s) are we answering?

1) Do "dawn" and "don" rhyme?

2) Well?

3) Do you say "dawn" and "don" rhyme?

4) Are these two words interchangeable in terms of pronounciation?

Apparently it does in Minneapolis. People are stupid here.

Although I saw words like boughten and I pronounce idea like idear, so what the hell am I to complain.

#### no and you know it.
100% serious. No I don't. And it's not just because that's how I say them. It's how I hear people say it as well.You honestly mean to tell me that if someone told you "My cousin Dawn is coming to town." you would automatically know they meant a female named "Dawn" and not a man named "Don"?

Matthias said:
Depends on where you live.
Right. If you live in Moronville you would say "no".
Think I've posted this before, but this test will tell you if you are from Moronville then.And no, they don't exactly rhyme. "Don" has a more clipped vowel pronunciation. Do you think that dawn rhymes with bon as in bon bon?
What American accent do you have?Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta

:shrug:

Even if two words are pronounced the exact same way that doesn't mean they "rhyme".

Fawn rhymes with Dawn

Con ryhmes with Don

Don doesn't rhyme with Dawn (even if said as "Don")....it just means two words sound the exact same. That's not rhyming.

What? How can this even be close? I can't even fathom how these are NOT pronounced the same. Which one do you pronounce weird? And how?

Matthias said:
Think I've posted this before, but this test will tell you if you are from Moronville then.And no, they don't exactly rhyme. "Don" has a more clipped vowel pronunciation. Do you think that dawn rhymes with bon as in bon bon?
cool link...accurate for me anyways.
:rolleyes: Scarily accurate for me, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Matthias said:
cool link...accurate for me anyways.
Ditto here.People who don't leave their hometown areas are often shocked how much variation there is in pronunciation.

Fawn rhymes with Dawn

Con ryhmes with Don
All four of these rhyme.You people are so weird.
:rolleyes: No, they don't. offdee's examples are valid.

I actually had this debate with Smoo in 2004. It got to the point where he actually called me on the phone to hear how these two names are in fact pronounced differently. His position didn't officially change, but he conceded that he could see how I could perceive there is a difference.

I think that thread was nuked, but he makes reference to it here.

DON doesn't rhyme with DAWN.

DON rhymes with JOHN.

Fawn rhymes with Dawn

Con ryhmes with Don

I actually had this debate with Smoo in 2004. It got to the point where he actually called me on the phone to hear how these two names are in fact pronounced differently. His position didn't officially change, but he conceded that he could see how I could perceive there is a difference.

DON rhymes with JOHN.
Do all people from that midget of state you live in talk this way?

#### no and you know it.
100% serious. No I don't. And it's not just because that's how I say them. It's how I hear people say it as well.You honestly mean to tell me that if someone told you "My cousin Dawn is coming to town." you would automatically know they meant a female named "Dawn" and not a man named "Don"?
I like new cousins that come to town.
Ask Daisy Mae how she say don and dawn.

Fawn rhymes with Dawn

Con ryhmes with Don

DON rhymes with JOHN.
JOHN and DAWN ####### RHYME!!!

Fawn rhymes with Dawn

Con ryhmes with Don

DON rhymes with JOHN.
Do all people from that midget of state you live in talk this way?
ITYM "that midget state in which I live."

Whether you think they rhyme or not (THEY DON'T!) isn't even the big issue here. If you think both words are pronounced exactly the same way than that doesn't mean they rhyme.

That's like saying "there" and "their" rhyme....that's not rhyming, that's just two different words having the exact same pronunciation.

Whether you think they rhyme or not (THEY DON'T!) isn't even the big issue here. If you think both words are pronounced exactly the same way than that doesn't mean they rhyme.That's like saying "there" and "their" rhyme....that's not rhyming, that's just two different words having the exact same pronunciation.
Actually that's a good point. They're homophones.

Whether you think they rhyme or not (THEY DON'T!) isn't even the big issue here. If you think both words are pronounced exactly the same way than that doesn't mean they rhyme.That's like saying "there" and "their" rhyme....that's not rhyming, that's just two different words having the exact same pronunciation.
exactly. "there" does rhyme with "they're" though.

It's too bad there's not a scale that rates how well two words rhyme with each other.

Matthias said:
Oh man. Now we got complications.
:confused:

Good point. Don and Dawn are half rhymes, but I don't think that is what the posters are talking about.

Actually that's a good point. They're homophones.
No they are not. They are half rhymes.

Users who are viewing this thread