What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do "dawn" and "don" rhyme? (1 Viewer)

Do "dawn" and "don" rhyme?

• Yes

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 120 65.6%

• Total voters
Please YouTube yourself saying hairy and Harry. I've been muttering these words to myself at my desk to try and make it sound different and all I've accomplished is some very strange/frightened looks from my coworkers.
I "get" the username but they don't rhyme to me :wub: Harry - ar as in arrow - you don't say airrow do you?

hairy - air - as in air
Yes, of course. Arrow-marrow-hairrow...they all have the same "a" sound.

Please YouTube yourself saying hairy and Harry. I've been muttering these words to myself at my desk to try and make it sound different and all I've accomplished is some very strange/frightened looks from my coworkers.
I "get" the username but they don't rhyme to me :thumbup: Harry - ar as in arrow - you don't say airrow do you?

hairy - air - as in air
:goodposting: People just get weirder and weirder.

I "get" the username but they don't rhyme to me :lmao: Harry - ar as in arrow - you don't say airrow do you?

hairy - air - as in air
So you you say bone mair row :thumbup: , do you say y'all normally

I "get" the username but they don't rhyme to me :lmao: Harry - ar as in arrow - you don't say airrow do you?

hairy - air - as in air
:goodposting: Please stop.

hairy - air - as in air
yesbone marrow is pronounced bone mair row.

can't really figure out how anyone can pronounce hairy different from harry either, and I'm pretty sure I'll never utter the phrase "y'all" as long as I live.

hairy - air - as in air
I don't say y'all at all (although I did live in New Orleans for quite awhile...I leave that term to the native Southerners).

I "get" the username but they don't rhyme to me :shrug: Harry - ar as in arrow - you don't say airrow do you?

hairy - air - as in air
So you you say bone mair row :popcorn: , do you say y'all normally

can't really figure out how anyone can pronounce hairy different from harry either, and I'm pretty sure I'll never utter the phrase "y'all" as long as I live.
So, "Harry from Harry and the Henderson was a hairy beast. " is the same as Hairy from hairy and the Hendersons was a harry beast. did I just get snagged on the hook :homer: These words are not interchangeable

I "get" the username but they don't rhyme to me :shrug:

Harry - ar as in arrow - you don't say airrow do you?

hairy - air - as in air
So you you say bone mair row :whistle: , do you say y'all normally

So, "Harry from Harry and the Henderson was a hairy beast. " is the same as Hairy from hairy and the Hendersons was a harry beast. did I just get snagged on the hook :unsure: These words are not interchangeable
That's correct. They aren't interchangeable. But, their pronunciations are identical.

So you you say bone mair row :whistle: , do you say y'all normally
yesbone marrow is pronounced bone mair row.can't really figure out how anyone can pronounce hairy different from harry either, and I'm pretty sure I'll never utter the phrase "y'all" as long as I live.
So, "Harry from Harry and the Henderson was a hairy beast. " is the same as Hairy from hairy and the Hendersons was a harry beast. did I just get snagged on the hook :unsure: These words are not interchangeable
Did YOU get snagged on a hook? It looks like you'll be fishing the entire planet with this one.

So, "Harry from Harry and the Henderson was a hairy beast. " is the same as Hairy from hairy and the Hendersons was a harry beast.

did I just get snagged on the hook :mellow: These words are not interchangeable

That's correct. They aren't interchangeable. But, their pronunciations are identical.

Yep, just like Dawn and Don...

Sorry boys, "Harry" and "hairy" are not pronounced the same. Not in my book. But I can understand why so many people think they are or actually do pronounce them the same.

This whole discussion boils down to understanding and utilizing the distinct differences of the english language when it involves similar sounding words. I will never pronounce "Dawn" and "Don" the same. I will not because my mind understands that they do not, nor were they ever supposed to, sound the same.

For those of you who pronounce them the same, I cannot help you. You were taught the incorrect pronunciation of one of those words and pronounce it the same as the other, even though they were never intended to sound the same.

But, in the end, if everyone you verbally interact with on a regular basis understands what you are saying, I guess it doesn't matter. If I ever moved to the heartland or the northern lakes region I would get very confused rather quickly I suppose.

Here's one for you....how about the name "Stephen?" It is pronounced "Steven," but all too often I hear it pronounced as "Stefan" or "Stefon." Or even on rare occasions I've heard it pronounced "Step-hen". Every mispronounced "Stephen" is usually easily fixed with, "Just call me Steve." Oh, by the way, "Stephen" rhymes with "heathen."

if you refuse to accept that "dawn" sounds like "don", or "hairy" sounds like "harry", you are robbing from us the ability to make puns. Why do you hate humor?

Harry and hairy, marry mary and merry all rhyme. Or, more to the poiny, if I said mary the way you say merry or marry, mary should understand it just fine, because the pronunciations are interchangable. I agree that there are slight variations in how they could be pronounced, and I understand that some people make a clear distinction between them. But there is no way to predict which way someone will use them such that if I hear marry, I know that you don't mean mary or merry. You might be talking to someone who says all three identically, or someone who always says the sound you think is mary, or someone who says merry the way you say mary. So while you may believe that the different sounds have different meaning, communication in english is best facilitated by using the three interchangably and using context to distinguish between them, which is how those of us who correctly saay them identically do it, and unlike the hardcore they sound different wonks, we don't get confused by it at all. Join us in speaking english fluently and correctly.

WTF is wrong with you people?

Harry does not rhyme with hairy.

Marry does not rhyme with mary, and neither of those rhymes with merry.

There is no rational argument for why any of those words should be pronounced the same way.

Here's one for you....how about the name "Stephen?" It is pronounced "Steven," but all too often I hear it pronounced as "Stefan" or "Stefon." Or even on rare occasions I've heard it pronounced "Step-hen". Every mispronounced "Stephen" is usually easily fixed with, "Just call me Steve." Oh, by the way, "Stephen" rhymes with "heathen."
OH BULL ####

WTF is wrong with you people?Harry does not rhyme with hairy.
I can't even fathom a way these two words would sound different.
You're just another one of these don=dawn freaks, then. Do you think the arguments for don and dawn being pronounced differently don't also apply to harry and hairy? They're two completely distinct vowel sounds. Do you think marry and Mary are pronounced the same way?

WTF is wrong with you people?Harry does not rhyme with hairy.
It's very subtle. Harry has more of a ahh sound as opposed to the air in hairy.
Making that subtle change may make you feel better about yourself as you pronounce it, but it doesn't aid communication, so it's not part of the language. It's an optional add-on that is shared by some dialects.

Ok, I wasn't expecting this but I ran this sentence through mac text speech:

Dawn arose and I clearly saw Don in the distance.

And I can hear a subtle difference. I uploaded it. Here's the url:

Dawn-Don

Making that subtle change may make you feel better about yourself as you pronounce it, but it doesn't aid communication, so it's not part of the language. It's an optional add-on that is shared by some dialects.
It's not optional, it's correct. Harry and Hairy do NOT rhyme. Marry and Mary rhyme but not Hairy and Harry. Listen to how he says it. "ahhh" not "air"

http://www.youtube.com/user/harrypotter?blend=1&ob=4

It's not optional, it's correct. Harry and Hairy do NOT rhyme. Marry and Mary rhyme but not Hairy and Harry. Listen to how he says it. "ahhh" not "air"

http://www.youtube.com/user/harrypotter?blend=1&ob=4
but he's british. :pics:

Harry doesn't actually rhyme with hairy.
We'll come back to this one in a bit. For now, let's go back to the soda vs. pop thing, where after 100 votes in my poll, we've seen that soda is the word most people use, and that the majority of people who say pop or coke acknowledge that the proper English word is soda. Please consider Rudnicki served.
Why does the majority rule in that poll but not this one?
Sick ownage.

I "get" the username but they don't rhyme to me ;) Harry - ar as in arrow - you don't say airrow do you?

hairy - air - as in air
Oh this is just total bull####.

Users who are viewing this thread