What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do "dawn" and "don" rhyme? (2 Viewers)

Do "dawn" and "don" rhyme?

• Yes

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • No

Votes: 120 65.6%

• Total voters
I'm heading to Pensacola for the Blue Angels this weekend, and my buddy wanted to possibly head offshore before we got the weekend started on Friday.  My employee, Dawn, is going out of town as well, so I can't leave early.  This was my attempt at using hands free today, and my friend knows the story of this thread:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e378/jplvr/BC4A8074-4E5E-4F1C-A6A5-8B5796370B3A_zpsrdjiwerc.png
See?  And you can't argue with computers because they're strong and made of metal.

I had a fascinating phone call back in the day with someone (I believe it was raidernation) who demonstrated, in his RI accent, how they are pronounced differently. It was amazing.

The moral is that "Don" and "Dawn" definitely do rhyme, but "Dan" and "Dwon" definitely do not. But the NE accent is still cool to listen to.

I had a fascinating phone call back in the day with someone (I believe it was raidernation) who demonstrated, in his RI accent, how they are pronounced differently. It was amazing.

The moral is that "Don" and "Dawn" definitely do rhyme, but "Dan" and "Dwon" definitely do not. But the NE accent is still cool to listen to.
I’m from RI and while I fully appreciate the two names shouldn’t rhyme they definitely do when I pronounce them.

Timely bump.   I got a voicemail from Dawn last night. Google Voice transcribed her name as "Don".

I've got a student named Donovan.  A lot of his friends call him "Donnie".

One kid says "Donnie" like "Daaawny".  I mean you can actually hear the "awwww".  Said kid was born and raised in California.  It's freaking me out.
His parents are probably from the midwest.   

I can definitely see someone like Mark Wahlberg saying Daawny. I don’t think it’s necessarily a Midwest thing. 
I know a few folks from Iowa and others from Chicagoland. They all rhyme "Don" and "Dawn" ... pronouncing them both the way Southerners, East Coasters, and other "splitters" pronounce "Don".

I've got a student named Donovan.  A lot of his friends call him "Donnie".

One kid says "Donnie" like "Daaawny".  I mean you can actually hear the "awwww".  Said kid was born and raised in California.  It's freaking me out.
You claim they sound the same but you're typing out the phonetic differences.  Pick a side.

Last edited by a moderator:
You claim they don't rhyme but yet you're typing out the phonetic differences.  Pick a side.
Wat?  They sound exactly alike.

BUT I do understand that certain troglodytes say “dAWWWn”.

This kid has flipped the script.  He says “Donnie” like  “Dawwwwwny”

Wat?  They sound exactly alike.

BUT I do understand that certain troglodytes say “dAWWWn”.

This kid has flipped the script.  He says “Donnie” like  “Dawwwwwny”
So you know that some people pronounce Dawn like it's spelled, "DaWWWn", and that sounds differently than "Don", but yet you claim they sound exactly alike?

Users who are viewing this thread