What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Going to Thailand in January (1 Viewer)

Fennis

Footballguy
Brokedown Palace is on the netflix queue.

My wife and I will be going to Phuket, Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, and a few other places over a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any thoughts on Thailand? What should we do in Bangkok?

Is American Thai food similiar to Thai, Thai food? Will I come back as a Buddhist?

My wife and I will be going to Phuket, Bangkok, Kanchanaburi, and a few other places over a couple of weeks. Does anyone have any thoughts on Thailand? What should we do in Bangkok?

Is American Thai food similiar to Thai, Thai food? Will I come back as a Buddhist?
I've spent some time wandering the country aimlessly, much like Ryan from The Office.Other than what you've mentioned, first thing I'd recommend is to get up north to Chiang Mai and go trekking out of there. It's a well-worn path, but it's well-worn for a reason: it's really pretty cool. It might feel kinda touristy to spend a half-day riding on elephants or going down the river on a raft you made out of bamboo, but then later you realize you spent a day riding an elephant and floating down a river on a bamboo raft, which is not the kind of thing you can do at home. It's active travel, though- serious hiking with a pack, not all that relaxing.

Phuket can be great or not so great- it's like any Western beach region, gotta research the resort and area or you might be in the middle of a bunch of fast food restaurants. If you're looking for a quieter, more nature-y area in the same region, I'm a big fan of Koh Lanta.

Bangkok is obviously a mind-blowing place that's worth checking out. But the downside is that it is a tough city to negotiate. Traffic is brutal and the air is horrible. You're gonna spend a lot of time sitting in taxis or tuk tuks staring at mangy three-legged dogs through the haze. So you probably want to find a centrally located hotel. Looking at this map, you're gonna want to be in the area near the bend in the river.

I thought the food was relatively close to American Thai. A lot more seafood-focused, which makes sense, but not totally different tastes.

Don't mean to be a debbie downer, but I'd also keep an eye on Department of State travel advisories for Thailand. Lots of very serious political unrest going on. It's gone quiet for now, but there have been two major incidents since the first of the year over internal Thai politics and things could change quickly. And if the king dies, all bets are off.

Don't mean to be a debbie downer, but I'd also keep an eye on Department of State travel advisories for Thailand. Lots of very serious political unrest going on. It's gone quiet for now, but there have been two major incidents since the first of the year over internal Thai politics and things could change quickly. And if the king dies, all bets are off.
I thought about that before booking the trip. The State Department just removed their travel advisory in June. I have travel insurance if things pick up again and we need to cancel the trip. Of course, if things go wrong while we are there, I have a hide under the bed in my western hotel plan that will be in full effect.

I've spent some time wandering the country aimlessly, much like Ryan from The Office.Other than what you've mentioned, first thing I'd recommend is to get up north to Chiang Mai and go trekking out of there. It's a well-worn path, but it's well-worn for a reason: it's really pretty cool. It might feel kinda touristy to spend a half-day riding on elephants or going down the river on a raft you made out of bamboo, but then later you realize you spent a day riding an elephant and floating down a river on a bamboo raft, which is not the kind of thing you can do at home. It's active travel, though- serious hiking with a pack, not all that relaxing.

Phuket can be great or not so great- it's like any Western beach region, gotta research the resort and area or you might be in the middle of a bunch of fast food restaurants. If you're looking for a quieter, more nature-y area in the same region, I'm a big fan of Koh Lanta.

Bangkok is obviously a mind-blowing place that's worth checking out. But the downside is that it is a tough city to negotiate. Traffic is brutal and the air is horrible. You're gonna spend a lot of time sitting in taxis or tuk tuks staring at mangy three-legged dogs through the haze. So you probably want to find a centrally located hotel. Looking at this map, you're gonna want to be in the area near the bend in the river.

I thought the food was relatively close to American Thai. A lot more seafood-focused, which makes sense, but not totally different tastes.
Thanks Tobias, good info. What are your top recommendations for Bangkok? I don't mind somewhat touristy things, as long as they are worth doing, since after all I am a tourist.Ill show my wife the map and find out where the hotel in Bangkok is.

Nothing I can add as I was a single guy in Thailand...different worlds. Seriously though, the Chiang Mai tip was good advice. :(

I didn't particularly like Bangkok at all, although if you take the boat (the name escapes me at the moment) tour on the river you can see some pretty cool things. The main temple complex in town is worth seeing...word of warning though, no shorts or bare shoulders are allowed in the temple area.

Have fun!

Thanks Tobias, good info. What are your top recommendations for Bangkok? I don't mind somewhat touristy things, as long as they are worth doing, since after all I am a tourist.Ill show my wife the map and find out where the hotel in Bangkok is.
Honestly, I was never a huge Bangkok fan, don't think I spent more than a week or so there total on my two extended stays in Thailand. The standard touristy stuff that you'll find front and center in any guide (Grand Palace, cool Buddhist temples, floating markets, kickboxing exhibitions) is about all I ever did, other than the nightlife stuff that you probably won't be doing with the SO.

I would suggest going to Koh Phi Phi over Phuket. Phi Phi is one of the more beautiful islands in the world, and there is a ton to do on that small island.

I loved it, although it's a touristy place. I liked it exponentially better than Phuket, and it is only a 2 hr. ferry ride away.

Nothing I can add as I was a single guy in Thailand...different worlds. Seriously though, the Chiang Mai tip was good advice. ;) I didn't particularly like Bangkok at all, although if you take the boat (the name escapes me at the moment) tour on the river you can see some pretty cool things. The main temple complex in town is worth seeing...word of warning though, no shorts or bare shoulders are allowed in the temple area. Have fun!
Thanks Bogey! I've found in my travels a boat tour is a good ways to see a city.

I would suggest going to Koh Phi Phi over Phuket. Phi Phi is one of the more beautiful islands in the world, and there is a ton to do on that small island.I loved it, although it's a touristy place. I liked it exponentially better than Phuket, and it is only a 2 hr. ferry ride away.
My wife really has her heart set on Phuket. Her: "Plus we can go to where they filmed the movie, The Beach"Me: ;) "We didn't see The Beach"Her :kicksrock: "so?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing I can add as I was a single guy in Thailand...different worlds. Seriously though, the Chiang Mai tip was good advice. :thumbup:

I didn't particularly like Bangkok at all, although if you take the boat (the name escapes me at the moment) tour on the river you can see some pretty cool things. The main temple complex in town is worth seeing...word of warning though, no shorts or bare shoulders are allowed in the temple area.

Have fun!
Thanks Bogey! I've found in my travels a boat tour is a good ways to see a city.
The boat will actually stop different places, depending on which tour you get, including a temple that you can climb. Barter with them, I think we got the tour for 4 people at the normal cost for 2. You are going during high season though, so not sure how much they will come off prices then. I always went during low season (summer here) so not near as many tourists. If you wanted to go south of Bangkok toward Pattaya (where I spent most of my time) there is a "million years stone park" that is cool. I have a picture sitting on a crocodile and one petting a tiger at a different park. Watch out if you rent jet skis or a scooter or car, there is a common scam that there will already be damage and then they will say you did it and try to get money out of you (and sometimes the cops are in on it), so always make sure and look it over good if you are going to do things like that.

The people are all very polite and will actually lie to you rather than cause you embarrassment most of the time. Public displays of affection are frowned upon, even hand holding, although in the more touristy places no one will really notice or say anything. Bare shoulders on women (other than the beach) are considered rude. Lots of good info at Link. That site focuses a lot on the nightlife of Pattaya, but it has links to other areas and they will also show the more touristy stuff.

Bumping this as im headed to Bangkok and Koh Samui during my honeymoon. Any food tips and things to do would be appreciated.

Went to hua hin in october. Didnt spend much time in bangkok so cant help there. Food and drink are cheap and most people are friendly and helpful. I wish I could go back right now...this winter blows.

Have fun!

Anyone have info on excursions, hikes and other cool things to see in Bangkok? Anything cool in the surrounding areas?

Anyone have info on excursions, hikes and other cool things to see in Bangkok? Anything cool in the surrounding areas?
Lots of really cool, old temples.
Any specific ones to recommend? I havent done my research yet on which ones, but we definitely want to see some temples and buddhas and such.
I'm traveling this week, and I dont have access to everything we went to. Wats in Thailand are like churches in Europe, there are tons of them. I remember being impressed with Wat Aron, Wat Pho, and others that aren't coming to me.

Bangkok has a great night market and the street food was amazing throughout Thailand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any specific ones to recommend? I havent done my research yet on which ones, but we definitely want to see some temples and buddhas and such.
I'm traveling this week, and I dont have access to everything we went to. Wats in Thailand are like churches in Europe, there are tons of them. I remember being impressed with Wat Aron, Wat Pho, and others that aren't coming to me.

Bangkok has a great night market and the street food was amazing throughout Thailand.
The night market and street food are probably what i am looking forward most. I think we have dinner reserved at a michelin starred place, but the rest of the meals i want to do at these types of places. Any tips?

The night market and street food are probably what i am looking forward most. I think we have dinner reserved at a michelin starred place, but the rest of the meals i want to do at these types of places. Any tips?
make sure its cooked, partially cooked is how you can get sick. Also sometimes they tone down the spices for westerners, which I asked them not to do for me. I like it spicy and I depending on your level of comfort, its on the hot side, but doable.

Eat some things that you have no idea what it is. Candy in Asian countries is always an adventure.

make sure its cooked, partially cooked is how you can get sick. Also sometimes they tone down the spices for westerners, which I asked them not to do for me. I like it spicy and I depending on your level of comfort, its on the hot side, but doable.

Eat some things that you have no idea what it is. Candy in Asian countries is always an adventure.
yea i love it spicy. though i suspect their spicy is another level!

huh.. what???? does not compute.

Bumping an old thread.  Looking possibly visiting at Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket with the wife this summer.  It will be our first trip to Asia, so I am totally lost with regards to trip planning.  Any recommended hotels, places to visit, or stuff to not miss would be greatly appreciated.

Do a food tour. Great way to see the city and figure out which foods you'll like during your trip.
Definitely will look into that.  I checked out the the link you posted awhile back, and it looks like they do food tours in both Bangkok and Chiang Mai.  Prices look reasonable too!

PlayaHata said:
Bumping an old thread.  Looking possibly visiting at Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket with the wife this summer.  It will be our first trip to Asia, so I am totally lost with regards to trip planning.  Any recommended hotels, places to visit, or stuff to not miss would be greatly appreciated.
All three places are very popular with tourists so you shouldn't have too much trouble. The guidebooks can probably everything we could possibly tell you about hotels and attractions and do a better and more comprehensive job with it. The thread has some good general ideas about eating and markets and whatnot.

A couple recommendations if you're feeling mildly adventurous that might already be part of your plans: do an overnight trek out of Chiang Mai, and venture out to one of the smaller islands near Phuket.

Judge Smails said:
My daughter just spent 5 months abroad including a month in Thailand. Went to all 3 you mentioned. I’ll report back after talking with her
if you can get recommendations on hostels if she stayed in any 

giving this a bump as im headed to Thailand(asia) for the 1st time 

this trip is very different for me as I usually travel solo but going with a small group this time for part of it 
the 8 of us meet via meetup group for Vancouver travelers and we are headed over for a traditional thai wedding in a small remote village for 1 of the guys in this group
3 guys , 5 women , 7/8 50ish age range 1 lady is about 75 (who backpacks solo still and has been over 140 countries. )
4 of them 12 days ( all 1st time  in asia)
groom 2 1/2 weeks (many times as wife is thai) 
my self 1 month 
1 lady 3 months (has been  there for a month all ready and her 2nd visit)
older lady 3 months (has a 2 bedroom place booked for chiang mai for month starting on the jan 13 and has been and lived in  asia )
this part of the itinerary is set

Bangkok dec 27 - jan 4
roi et jan 5 and 6 for the wedding
Bangkok 7 ( 4 fly home to Vancouver ) 

now a rough plan for me + older lady and maybe the other lady

Bangkok to  sukhothai (old village)  7 travel day

Sukhothai 8

Pai (via chiang mai ) 9-13
chiang  mai/chaing rai area 13 – roughly the 20th ( the older lady said I could stay with her and use it as a home base)
20-26 is open - probably will head to an island or 2 

Bangkok 26 as I fly to shanghai on the 27 

the older lady is a great source of knowledge for  as we travel similar but just looking other ideas , recommendations or hook ups  from people with other travel styles 
im into history , photography , beer drinking , hiking , museums , art galleries and food 

side note , I have traveled with the older lady before as our paths randomly crossed in cairo for 5 days while both travelling solo . this was after we meet in Vancouver 8 months before and total coincidence as I was Greece and decided on the spur of the moment to go to Egypt and she was in petra heading there 

Going to hong kong and phuket in march. Hoping to get an airbnb off maybe one of the quiter beaches (is ther such a thing?) in phuket. Wanted to go to phi phi but some folks in the travel party wanted something a little more lively. 

Users who are viewing this thread