What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL OKLAHOMA SOONERS FOOTBALL - SEC 12 - 0 *** (2 Viewers)

Well, Rattler not coming in until summer so that would be a tall order to be ready to start in the fall.

Locals seem to think Jalen Hurts is likely coming in. Gil Brandt still sticking with his contention that Kyler could be returning.
I don't know what Brandt is smoking. 

This Hurts thing is going to happen, isn't it? I hate that so much. 

Yes, I would definitely bet on Hurts being what's really going on.

But I'm talking myself into hoping for something silly. Brandt's not a random jabroni, and is apparently friends with Riley. And he was right about Kingsbury, too (although he wasn't the first to say such, by any stretch).

I am seeing a narrative to the return of Kyler. He's not naive nor awestruck about anything. He's had a year with both an agent and a pocketful of cash. His dad was a big-big-time QB, whose historical stature belies what a star and stud he was at A&M.

He fully understands the probabilities and actions associated with each path. And he knows that "best college football player of all time" could be on the table. He's going to live an awesome life with a lot of money no matter what. But his best chance for historical greatness might be best with another year here.

I feel silly even thinking this stuff, but who knows.

I don't know if Hurts is coming or not but I don't understand the hate?   If Riley thinks the kid can help the team who are we to make assumptions over the coach who has had back to back Heisman trophy winners and first-round draft picks?   I think I will defer to Riley on QB's.  

Also, the kid has been a winner.  He led Bama back against Georgia in the SEC Championship game.   Maybe some of his leadership can rub off on some of the new kids that got drafted.   If Hurts comes to Norman it will be the first QB to play in a Championship game since Bradford.   I only see the upside. 

TakiToki said:
And he knows that "best college football player of all time" could be on the table. He's going to live an awesome life with a lot of money no matter what. But his best chance for historical greatness might be best with another year here.
Who's the GOAT now?  Tebow is my choice.

PLAYER

Kyler Murray

Marquise Brown

Cody Ford

Bobby Evans

Dru Samia

Ben Powers

Austin Seibert

Rodney Anderson

not shabby at all 

Okay, might be an unpopular opinion. But I'm worried about Hurts' accuracy. Yes, he's looked great and has had phenomenal numbers so far. But if he's passing more than 10-15 yards down the field, his accuracy just ain't that good. Doesn't come close to Baker & Kyler's accuracy. Several times he's benefitted from WRs being wide open and having time to adjust their routes to make catches. E.g., the Lamb TD and second Rambo TD against UCLA. Texas, TCU and CFB playoff DBs just ain't gonna be giving them that much room.

Okay, might be an unpopular opinion. But I'm worried about Hurts' accuracy. Yes, he's looked great and has had phenomenal numbers so far. But if he's passing more than 10-15 yards down the field, his accuracy just ain't that good. Doesn't come close to Baker & Kyler's accuracy. Several times he's benefitted from WRs being wide open and having time to adjust their routes to make catches. E.g., the Lamb TD and second Rambo TD against UCLA. Texas, TCU and CFB playoff DBs just ain't gonna be giving them that much room.
i agree he's no where near the passer as Baker and Kyler.  But it looks like Lincoln is specifically using his running to open up the WRs.  I think I heard an announcer call it a PRO vs RPO style offense.  I do think the WRs can get open against the better teams, though not as frequently and it will depend on our QB taking a lot of hard reps.  He looks fine but eventually someone is gonna square off on him good.

Given all we lost in the draft, we still look very solid.  I'm glad Grinch is there and glad they are at least saying the right things.  The D seems to be good in first half but much weaker in the second half against weaker teams.  Hopefully they get better every week.

If UGA/LSU stay strong all season, we may end up #5 or 6 with an undefeated record and even though the Hurst storyline is ripe for primetime viewing.

As much as the accuracy, my concerns about Hurts are about him throwing guys open when improvising and also letting the ball fly as guys are making their breaks, as opposed to already being open.

Certainly, we're spoiled in these areas, as we have literally had 3 of the best guys in college football history at doing these things here in the last 15 years. But we'll just have to see how much Hurts' tailback-like talents can make up for some of his passing limitations when the competition gets better.

https://twitter.com/EliHoward5/status/1178066822836494336

Texas Tech player apologizes for penalized hit on Oklahoma RB Kennedy Brooks

...positive note looks like he didn't have a lingering injury after walking off the field. 
That was so flagrant and the game was out of hand by that point, I was surprised the Tech coaches were willing to put him back on the field. And when they did I was surpised no one took a shot at him.

I feel pretty good about this game against ┴exas this weekend.    Jalen Hurts in Lincoln's offense has looked brilliant.  I love his attitude about the "rat poison!"    This is the best the defense has looked in a very long time.     

Saw on twitter that this is the first time OU had made it through the Texas game undefeated since 2011. Hadn't thought about it. But they have stumbled early recently and managed to make up for it.

2012 - KSU in week 3

2013 - Texas

2014 - TCU in week 5

2015 - Texas

2016 - Houston in week 1 and OSU in week 3

2017 - ISU in week 5

2018 - Texas

Over 7 games, OU is ranked #23 in team defense. This is up from #101 in 2018

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/years/2019-team-defense.html

I think we have a sufficiently large enough sample size to agree that Grinch really did turn around this defense. Working with Mike Stoops's players, he's been able to field a top 25 defense and choke out some pretty well run offenses. Not only is his schemes significantly better than Stoops's, but our defense plays with incredible disciple. We're better at tackling (thank ####### God!), hustling to the ball, blitzing, and are playing with overall more energy.

If OU's defense can start picking up better talent, especially on the DB-front, imagine where we'll be in a few years.

The amazing part about Mike was that the press and fans were screaming for a change (not even him going, but him trying something different) and he kept acting like "we" didn't know what "we" were talking about and he kept doing the exact same thing. "We've" been crying out the last few seasons for more pressure on the QB and press coverage by the DBs. And that's exactly what Grinch has done.

It took one offseason and half a season (with the same players Mike recruited) to demonstrate "we" were right.

And I think we're still missing some things on defense. That's the best part. There's still room to grow, some of it pretty low-hanging. 

I am so hyped for November. Some tough tests with ISU, @Baylor and @OSU coming, but I think this is the best team I've seen since I started in the days of Ryan Broyles (admittedly not that long ago).

parasaurolophus said:
Thought this thread was bumped to show video of the wagon flip. 
I quit going to games in about 1992 or 1993 when the schooner launched the homecoming queen, the fans threw oranges at the opposing sideline (most didn't make it and hit other fans in the back of the head), and people cheered when our QB (Cale Gundy) got injured.  Looks like it must have been October 16, 1993 against Colorado.

Sept. 5: Missouri State   :X

Sept. 12: Tennessee

Sept. 19: BYE

Sept. 26: at Army

Oct. 3: Baylor

Oct. 10: Texas (neutral site)

Oct. 17: at Iowa State

Oct. 24: Oklahoma State

Oct. 31: at TCU

Nov. 7: at West Virginia

Nov. 14: Kansas State

Nov. 21: Kansas

Nov. 28: at Texas Tech

Christo said:
The one that killed me was when the OU and UT newspapers wrote a column in the opposing paper leading up to the game in 1992, and Texas said OU could win the rest of the games that century and still be well behind in the series.  :kicksrock:

The one that killed me was when the OU and UT newspapers wrote a column in the opposing paper leading up to the game in 1992, and Texas said OU could win the rest of the games that century and still be well behind in the series.  :kicksrock:
I honestly don't see that blemish being erased in my lifetime.  :bs:

Maybe all that talk of LR to Dallas Cowboys took the focus away from where it is needed?   Man OU hasn't finished the month of OCTOBER undefeated since 2004.   Same #### every year.   Just big let downs against inferior teams.   

Meh, whatever. Really tough to go undefeated. Defense is disappointing but the offense has been bad too today. 

They’ve made it three (?) times without going undefeated, so not like that’s a prerequisite. I do agree it seems unlikely though, SEC probably gets two this year 

Users who are viewing this thread