What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Subscriber Contest (2 Viewers)

eaglezzz

The Subscriber contest is actually one of my favourite of all features on FBG's website and I was just wondering what date it is planning on being made available? The last two years I believe I was out in week 6 and then week 7 but I think the contest is a blast.

It would be fun to have divisions and compete for a free 2011 FBG's subscription. Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be setting prices this weekend. We will test it with our staff on Monday. It should be LIVE for subscribers Tuesday of next week.

Thanks Dodds. I love this contest. Look forward to it every year and I will pay each year to be a subscriber just to have the right to pick a team.

eaglezzz said:
Thanks Dodds. I love this contest. Look forward to it every year and I will pay each year to be a subscriber just to have the right to pick a team.
Ditto169th place in 2008 29th place in 2009I look forward to this as much as any league I play in

I just took a first cut of the player prices....This might be the hardest year ever in this thing.

We are going to have our staff play around with it today and tomorrow and will debut this on Tuesday.

We have a big twist I asked Doug about, but we will have to see if he can incorporate it easily into the execution of this.

unlimited picks with a fixed cap on $ only?

giggity giggity giggity!!!

Either that or LHucks was right. Warner is a bad pick at $4 in cap money.

We have a big twist I asked Doug about, but we will have to see if he can incorporate it easily into the execution of this.
I hope it's not too big of a twist...the contest feels nearly perfect the way it is in terms of being able to rank players and come up with a team...

if too many twists are thrown in, it potentially becomes more about luck and less about skill...

Just a thought - as always I'm looking forward to the price list and start of the contest :thumbdown:

I just took a first cut of the player prices....This might be the hardest year ever in this thing. We are going to have our staff play around with it today and tomorrow and will debut this on Tuesday.
I love this contest because you can play around with it throughout camp, run and re run the numbers. Some say you should just do it once but the odds of winning are about 1 in 15,000 or so, to me it simply is a fun brain teaser.

I hope it's not too big of a twist...the contest feels nearly perfect the way it is in terms of being able to rank players and come up with a team...

if too many twists are thrown in, it potentially becomes more about luck and less about skill...

Just a thought - as always I'm looking forward to the price list and start of the contest :goodposting:
Actually the opposite is true.

As a first year subscriber could someone please point me in the direction of details about this contest.

Thanks

I just took a first cut of the player prices....This might be the hardest year ever in this thing.

We are going to have our staff play around with it today and tomorrow and will debut this on Tuesday.
I love this contest because you can play around with it throughout camp, run and re run the numbers. Some say you should just do it once but the odds of winning are about 1 in 15,000 or so, to me it simply is a fun brain teaser.
:lmao: this is one of the few "teams" I have where I know I'm not going to win it, but the fun is putting it together.

Just a thought - as always I'm looking forward to the price list and start of the contest :goodposting:
I think it depends on what the "twist" is. It could be either more or less luck.

As a first year subscriber could someone please point me in the direction of details about this contest.Thanks
Hi Don,This will be up presumably as early as tomorrow. You get "X" amount of dollars to fill in your team and you can pick any players you want but obviously some are way more than others. If you spend $75 on Ray Rice you are going to have to find a couple $3 backs that you likely don't want to fill out the rest of your RBs...it's a lot of fun and my best advice is to steer clear of the SP threads on it until you have had a chance to toggle and play with it...otherwise you'll get corrupted on who to take quickly. Undoubtedly there will be players that become very popular due to perceived bang for th ebuck and sometimes 40% of the teams take that very player which can nullify the implied value because every team has him. You'll see when this is unrolled Tue/Wed but I think you'll enjoy it. Reminds me of the mail in leagues the mags use to run where you have a certain amount ot spend and fill out the rosters.

As a first year subscriber could someone please point me in the direction of details about this contest.Thanks
Hi Don,This will be up presumably as early as tomorrow. You get "X" amount of dollars to fill in your team and you can pick any players you want but obviously some are way more than others. If you spend $75 on Ray Rice you are going to have to find a couple $3 backs that you likely don't want to fill out the rest of your RBs...it's a lot of fun and my best advice is to steer clear of the SP threads on it until you have had a chance to toggle and play with it...otherwise you'll get corrupted on who to take quickly. Undoubtedly there will be players that become very popular due to perceived bang for th ebuck and sometimes 40% of the teams take that very player which can nullify the implied value because every team has him. You'll see when this is unrolled Tue/Wed but I think you'll enjoy it. Reminds me of the mail in leagues the mags use to run where you have a certain amount ot spend and fill out the rosters.
Ah I see, so you're picking a team based on set values with a cap in place. That's the way "fantasy soccer" works over here. Looking forward to this,Thanks for the advice.

Just a thought - as always I'm looking forward to the price list and start of the contest :IBTL:
I think it depends on what the "twist" is. It could be either more or less luck.
Since Dodds is the one making the "twist", it's pretty safe to assume that it won't add luck to the equation.

seems to be the young cheap RB's are usually the way to go in this thing. Guys like Charles Scott, Dwyer, Geirhart, McNight, Ringer, Starks, guys that are sitting at #2 or #3 on the depth chart but could break out if the guys in front of them fall apart. I can't wait to come into work tomorrow and play around with this all day. Thanks FBG's for making me be unproductive at work. If only we were all lucky enough like you guys to have Fantasy Football jobs. I can't imagine coming home and continuing to talk football all day and not have my wife get on my case. "honey this is my profession, how do you think we get food on the table............I need to talk football all day long"

Now that is the dream. Keep it up guys awesome stuff

We are testing now. We are looking to release this to the Shark Pool tomorrow afternoon and then likely a day later calling it out.

Here is the "twist". We will be allowing people to have between 18 and 30 players on their roster (as long as you remain under the cap). But before everyone thinks...awesome, I will take 30....well, let's just say we eliminated almost every $1 and $2 player so grabbing more players really starts working against your cap. I expect this change to add another dimension to this. And I am not exactly sure what the optimum roster size will even be.

We are testing now. We are looking to release this to the Shark Pool tomorrow afternoon and then likely a day later calling it out.Here is the "twist". We will be allowing people to have between 18 and 30 players on their roster (as long as you remain under the cap). But before everyone thinks...awesome, I will take 30....well, let's just say we eliminated almost every $1 and $2 player so grabbing more players really starts working against your cap. I expect this change to add another dimension to this. And I am not exactly sure what the optimum roster size will even be.
:mellow: Gives me something to do, thanks, DD.

We are testing now. We are looking to release this to the Shark Pool tomorrow afternoon and then likely a day later calling it out.

Here is the "twist". We will be allowing people to have between 18 and 30 players on their roster (as long as you remain under the cap). But before everyone thinks...awesome, I will take 30....well, let's just say we eliminated almost every $1 and $2 player so grabbing more players really starts working against your cap. I expect this change to add another dimension to this. And I am not exactly sure what the optimum roster size will even be.
I think THAT will add a very intriguing dimension to the contest. Definitely looking forward to it and hoping to make it past Week 9 this year... :popcorn:

We are testing now. We are looking to release this to the Shark Pool tomorrow afternoon and then likely a day later calling it out.Here is the "twist". We will be allowing people to have between 18 and 30 players on their roster (as long as you remain under the cap). But before everyone thinks...awesome, I will take 30....well, let's just say we eliminated almost every $1 and $2 player so grabbing more players really starts working against your cap. I expect this change to add another dimension to this. And I am not exactly sure what the optimum roster size will even be.
I'll miss the $1 and $2 players :banned:A few of them were :football: each year.But this sounds like a good twist... it will definitely bring out some widely varying strategies and varied teams. :thumbup:Hey, it's Tuesday! :thumbup:

OK I have adjusted values all over the place tonight. It's getting very sweet. We are going to have our staff test drive it to make sure we aren't giving away anyone too cheaply.

This contest is really HARD this year. Lots of very difficult decisions. You can get a 30 man roster, but it's mostly scrubs. You can have a very nice lineup with 22-24 players. It will be interesting to see how things unfold for people. I have messed with small and large lineups and I can't really get a beat on what ones will do better. The large ones might get you deeper, but they usually lack the fire power that will be required to win at the end.

and the fact that you can trade a decent defense for the two worst defenses...is probably right, but is it? Many such dilemmas face you guys this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you mean that players who would have been $1-$2 are not available for selection or that their price will be more than $1-$2?

Do you mean that players who would have been $1-$2 are not available for selection or that their price will be more than $1-$2?
The second thing.Prices have generally been compressed a little compared to previous years. Low end guys cost a little more, high end guys a little less.

The second thing.Prices have generally been compressed a little compared to previous years. Low end guys cost a little more, high end guys a little less.
What timeframe are we looking at for this coming out?

OK I have adjusted values all over the place tonight. It's getting very sweet. We are going to have our staff test drive it to make sure we aren't giving away anyone too cheaply.

This contest is really HARD this year. Lots of very difficult decisions. You can get a 30 man roster, but it's mostly scrubs. You can have a very nice lineup with 22-24 players. It will be interesting to see how things unfold for people. I have messed with small and large lineups and I can't really get a beat on what ones will do better. The large ones might get you deeper, but they usually lack the fire power that will be required to win at the end.

and the fact that you can trade a decent defense for the two worst defenses...is probably right, but is it? Many such dilemmas face you guys this year.
The bolded is definitely true. I hope everyone is ready for a challenge. :lmao:

I've been looking forward to this contest all offseason. Glad to see it's coming out today!

Now... who won't crush me with injuries?

Can't wait for this. Thanks again FBG's!

Great stuff as usual

My goal is to make it to week 8 this year - High hopes eh

now that Favre is gone I am sure whatever Minny QB will be at a bargain price and on every roster.
1. Favre is not gone. It's amazing to me that people are buying this. Again.2. On the tiny, tiny, tiny chance that Favre actually does retire, we have priced both Favre and Jackson as though they were the starter.

Users who are viewing this thread