What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2010 Anarchy League 5 Thread (1 Viewer)

David Yudkin

Footballguy
Website: http://www18.myfantasyleague.com/2010/home/24041. The draft is scheduled to start Tuesday 8/3 at 9:00 AM.

jeter23 - 910

Go DC Yourself - 883

No. 16 - 769

ZWK - 765

Football Critic - 593

jsharlan - 563

bro1ncos - 403

Steel Dillo - 399

gheemony - 380

Worm - 365

faux_bear - 216

SouthJersey - 207

Blinky The Doormat - 206

firstseason1988 - 196

adrenaline - 196

Ultima Thule - 66

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 14th pick. I predrafted to that point. I can't get back to comp until 4 pm easter today. Didn't do 2nd round predraft, wanted to see what I get in 1st. thanks for everyone's patience if you are waiting on me.

1.01 1. jeter23 Peterson, Adrian MIN RB Tue Aug 3 8:00:10 a.m. CT 2010 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List 1.02 2. Go DC Yourself Packers, Green Bay GBP TMQB Tue Aug 3 8:00:10 a.m. CT 2010 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List 1.03 3. No. 16 Johnson, Chris TEN RB Tue Aug 3 8:00:10 a.m. CT 2010 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List 1.04 4. ZWK Gates, Antonio SDC TE Tue Aug 3 8:00:10 a.m. CT 2010 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List 1.05 5. Football Critic Johnson, Andre HOU WR Tue Aug 3 8:02:46 a.m. CT 2010 1.06 6. jsharlan Clark, Dallas IND TE Tue Aug 3 8:02:47 a.m. CT 2010 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List
I knew the draft would be different, but this was unexpected. I'm wondering if the guys at 3, 4, & 5 just assumed that MJD & Rice would be gone, so they didn't even put them on their pre-draft list?

1.01 1. jeter23 Peterson, Adrian MIN RB Tue Aug 3 8:00:10 a.m. CT 2010 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List 1.02 2. Go DC Yourself Packers, Green Bay GBP TMQB Tue Aug 3 8:00:10 a.m. CT 2010 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List 1.03 3. No. 16 Johnson, Chris TEN RB Tue Aug 3 8:00:10 a.m. CT 2010 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List 1.04 4. ZWK Gates, Antonio SDC TE Tue Aug 3 8:00:10 a.m. CT 2010 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List 1.05 5. Football Critic Johnson, Andre HOU WR Tue Aug 3 8:02:46 a.m. CT 2010 1.06 6. jsharlan Clark, Dallas IND TE Tue Aug 3 8:02:47 a.m. CT 2010 Pick made based on Pre-Draft List
I knew the draft would be different, but this was unexpected. I'm wondering if the guys at 3, 4, & 5 just assumed that MJD & Rice would be gone, so they didn't even put them on their pre-draft list?
There are 5 leagues and all of them will look completely different. If you look back over the years, there have been about 518 different strategies on what to do or not to do.

I had AP first on my list. Rodgers seemed the next best bet to be playing deep into January, but given the Favre news I may now rank him first. I figured a TE may jump up again this year like Clark did last year, but am not confident I can pick which one of the six or so who are candidates to do it. :goodposting: to the drafters for moving this along.

I have 14th pick. I predrafted to that point. I can't get back to comp until 4 pm easter today. Didn't do 2nd round predraft, wanted to see what I get in 1st. thanks for everyone's patience if you are waiting on me.
Looks like Binky will be on the clock in about 3 & half hours because first season won't be back until 4pm EST.

???I think CJ is a better RB than Rice and MJD and the Titans have the same chance as the Ravens and better chance than the Jags to make it into playoffs, IMO. Titans finished 8-8 last year, Jets 9-7, and Jags 7-9. Seem like a no brainer to me.

???I think CJ is a better RB than Rice and MJD and the Titans have the same chance as the Ravens and better chance than the Jags to make it into playoffs, IMO. Titans finished 8-8 last year, Jets 9-7, and Jags 7-9. Seem like a no brainer to me.
Should have said 4,5, & 6. CJ was the obviuos choice.

Should have said 4,5, & 6. CJ was the obviuos choice.
Gotcha. Thought I was missing something.

I had AP first on my list. Rodgers seemed the next best bet to be playing deep into January, but given the Favre news I may now rank him first. I figured a TE may jump up again this year like Clark did last year, but am not confident I can pick which one of the six or so who are candidates to do it. :fishing: to the drafters for moving this along.
Rodgers was my 2nd choice at the top spot and came very close to taking him (pre Favre news).

I got the guy I wanted - the Chargers' top receiver, with 2 PPR. In an ordinary league I would've put the big 4 RBs into pre-draft and gotten the last one at #4, but this isn't an ordinary league. If you look at the other 4 anarchy leagues, you can see that they each had at least one of the big 4 RBs drop to pick 7 or later.

I was hoping Rivers fell to the 2/3 turn, but when he didn't, I had to go with Eli instead. The other pick was a tough one. Some RBs and TEs I like a lot, but wanted to get a WR here and I like Marshall quite a bit.

I was hoping Rivers fell to the 2/3 turn, but when he didn't, I had to go with Eli instead. The other pick was a tough one. Some RBs and TEs I like a lot, but wanted to get a WR here and I like Marshall quite a bit.
I was hoping to nab Eli on the swing back, but I like where my team will be after the 3rd round.

Sorry for the delay overnight. I had it set up to autopick and it did the first time for Moreno but not around the turn. Don't know why it didn't, Bush was in my que.

Schaub

R.Rice

M. Barber

Sims-Walker

Maclin

Winslow

Boss

Other than Schaub & Rice, I'm not thrilled with this team right now. Seems like all the guys I thought would fall to me are being picked 4-5 picks ahead of me.

SchaubR.RiceM. BarberSims-WalkerMaclinWinslowBossOther than Schaub & Rice, I'm not thrilled with this team right now. Seems like all the guys I thought would fall to me are being picked 4-5 picks ahead of me.
I have never been in more than a 12 team league. I knew it would be brutal but wow, you just don't know until you feel it. I hope SJax works out for me, I wouldn't have picked him there, I didn't expect the draft to go that fast, I should have known better and just predrafted. I need my WRs to carry me.Benson, Cedric CIN RB - 6Jackson, Steven STL RB (P) - 9Spiller, C.J. BUF RB - 6Crabtree, Michael SFO WR - 9Edwards, Braylon NYJ WR - 7Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR - 6Olsen, Greg CHI TE - 8Shockey, Jeremy NOS TE (P) - 10 :goodposting:

firstseason1988 said:
I have never been in more than a 12 team league. I knew it would be brutal but wow, you just don't know until you feel it.
I've been playing in the 16 team, message board survivor leagues for about 4 years now and I've got a pretty good feeleing with how those drafts go. The scoring and starter requirements in this league have made people go with so many different strategies, that its hard to get a good grip on where players will go.

Reasonably pleased with my team halfway through, pending who I get to fill out my WR corps and as my TE2.

QB--GB, KC

RB--Grant, McCoy, Moreno, R. Bush

WR--Welker, Royal

TE--Z. Miller (Oak)

Bengals, Cincinnati CIN TMQB - 6

Redskins, Washington WAS TMQB - 9

Forte, Matt CHI RB - 8

Hardesty, Montario CLE RB - 8

Mendenhall, Rashard PIT RB - 5

Jackson, DeSean PHI WR - 8

Johnson, Andre HOU WR - 7

Gresham, Jermaine CIN TE - 6

Vikings, Minnesota MIN Def - 4

I kinda like my team, but then again will have to see how scoring works out.

I'm ok with my team so far. QB is my weak point which sucks because it has the biggest drop next to TEs, but I'm happy with the rest of my team. For the most part I just picked players I thought would produce the same as last year or improve and tried to avoid older/injury plagued players.

TMQB Oakland Raiders - Wanted this to be my QB2, but miss read the QB run. Campbell finished 15th in WAS last year no reason to think he won't do as well or better in OAK.

TMQB - Bills or Browns - UGGGH!

Overall: Below average.

RB1 Chris Johnson - Top 3 at his position. Gives me RB1 advantage.

RB2 Jahvid Best - X-Factor. Smith finished as RB2 last year and I think Best is waaaay better + Stafford and CJ are healthy. Mediocre RB2-RB1 potential.

RB3 Donald Brown - Finished as an RB4 last year during injury plagued rookie year. With Addai in a contract year I think RB3 is his floor.

RB4 Mike Bell - Finished as an RB3 in NO while competing with PT and Bush for carries in a high powered offense. He goes to another high powered offense in PHI and I think McCoy < PT/Bush so I see no reason he shouldn't finish with the same stats.

Overall: Above average due to RB1/RB2 strength.

WR1 Anquan Boldin - He'll be a low end WR1/high end WR2. Warner to Flacco is a downgrade, but he has Mason to compete with now instead of Fitz.

WR2 Malcom Floyd - Finished as a WR4 last year but with VJax gone, I'm betting he jumps into the WR2 tier. VJax finished WR13 so I think that's reasonable.

WR3 Johnny Knox - Knox was a WR4 as a rookie and like Floyd I'm hoping he can jump into WR2 tier in a Martz offense which has made a former DB a legitimate fantasy WR in the past.

WR4 Dexter McCluster - This is another boom or bust pick, but with my QBs being crappy I felt the need to take a risk. He's in a similar system and with a QB that utilized Welker. So he should do well flanked by Bowe and CHambers. To me he seems like another Percy Harvin who ranked as a WR2 last year so I see that as his upside and I think he'll get enough touches to safely be a WR4.

WR5 Mario Manningham - This guy finished as a WR3 last year and while many are projecting Nicks to take over, Nicks finished as a WR3 as well. Eli is becoming a good enough QB, that like his brother he doesn't need to lock onto specific WRs so I think Manningham even as a WR3 for the Giants still gets enough targets to outplay the WR5 position he was drafted at.

Overall: Average to Above Average - This group will dictate how well my team does. If everyone does as well as I projected then it will make up for some of the slack at QB.

TE1 Brent Celek - Finished #5 last year. See no reason he shouldn't repeat with a younger QB who likes him.

TE2 Tony Gonzalez - I wanted Zach Miller due age but can't complain about Gonzo.

Overall: Above average - This is the bread and butter of my team. Should give me roughly a 150 point edge over other TE groups.

DEF1 NY Giants - They did well last year in the scoring system and with healthy players they should do the same if not better.

The meat and potatoes of the draft is over so I'm pleased with how my team has taken shape. My TEs should be above average and probably the league's elite (+150 points vs other TE groups) and my RBs and WRs offer solid potential to become above average units. All those units will need to do very well to just to make up for the potential 300 point deficit of my QBs compared to the teams that drafted 2 Top 16 QBs.

pretty lame how someone keeps getting replacement picks. the computer drafted for me in the 2nd round, figured rules were there for a reason. don't really care, just lame.

Well, I think it's lame that we have a running timer over the weekend for a draft-only league which is taking place over a month before the season starts, and is due to be completed in less than a week's time... but that's just me.

I also think it's lame that someone would complain over someone getting replacement picks for round 12+ players... but c'est la vie... :rolleyes:

As the new kids on the block in these leauges, IMO we should be thankful for David for setting up the leagues and running the drafts, and do everything we can to make sure things run smoothly and don't make more work for him, such as using the auto draft feature. If someone thinks the settings are lame they most likely won't be back next year.

As the new kids on the block in these leauges, IMO we should be thankful for David for setting up the leagues and running the drafts, and do everything we can to make sure things run smoothly and don't make more work for him, such as using the auto draft feature. If someone thinks the settings are lame they most likely won't be back next year.
The first timeout caught me off guard. Had a ton of family in town this weekend and almost zero internet time. Didn't think the clock would run over the weekend. When I saw the email I made the pick/emailed Yudkin. Didn't have time to sit down and rank 50 players, thus the second timeout.Yudkin could have told me that I was stuck with what I got and I would have just moved on. The only people making a big deal out of this are you guys.

2.09 25. Texans, Houston HOU TMQB

9.08 136. Panthers, Carolina CAR TMQB

I love Schaub this year, but I would have passed on him if J. Finley would have been there. Glad I didn't though because the other QB I wanted (E. Manning) went way earlier than I thought he would. Moore should be a decent by week filler.

1.08 8. Rice, Ray BAL RB

7.08 104. Barber, Marion DAL RB

10.09 153. Buckhalter, Correll DEN RB

15.08 232. Moore, Mewelde PIT RB

RB is the weakness on my team, but I kind of planned it that way. After getting Rice in the 1st round, I didn't draft another RB until the 7th round. I don't buy into Felix Jones as a work horse back, and Barber shoud still get his chances at the goal line. Buck & Moore will get playing time and could be lead backs if their team's feature backs get dinged.

4.09 57. Sims-Walker, Mike JAC WR

5.08 72. Maclin, Jeremy PHI WR

8.09 121. Meachem, Robert NOS WR

11.08 168. Bess, Davone MIA WR

12.09 185. Walter, Kevin HOU WR

17.08 264. Robiskie, Brian CLE WR

After a slow start at WR, I think I was able to cobble together enough WR2s & slot guys to form a decent stable at WR.

3.08 40. Winslow, Kellen TBB TE

6.09 89. Boss, Kevin NYG TE

KW2 is a big injury risk, but he was on the same page as Freeman last year & should have a better year now that the whole secondary can't focus on him.

14.09 217. Akers, David PHI PK

16.09 249. Reed, Jeff PIT PK

I got 2 Ks with jobs. Good enough.

13.08 200. Dolphins, Miami MIA Def

18.09 281. Lions, Detroit DET Def

Miami should be decent.

Overall I feel pretty good about my team now. Better than I did half way through. I missed out on a few guys I thought would slide back to me in the next round early in the draft, so I started picking the players I wanted earlier than their suggested ADP instead of waiting for them to become "value".

Edited to add 18th pick.

9.08 136. Panthers, Carolina CAR TMQB Moore should be a decent by week filler.....13.08 200. Dolphins, Miami MIA Def 18.09 281. D/ST - Whatevers available Miami should be decent & they were a good by week fit. Don't care who I get with my last pick. None of the remaining teams have the same bye as Miami.
It is an all play, total points, with no waivers league, so my understanding is that bye weeks are irrelevant. Each player/team sits once during the regular season.

Go DC Yourself said:
Steel Dillo said:
9.08 136. Panthers, Carolina CAR TMQB Moore should be a decent by week filler.....13.08 200. Dolphins, Miami MIA Def 18.09 281. D/ST - Whatevers available Miami should be decent & they were a good by week fit. Don't care who I get with my last pick. None of the remaining teams have the same bye as Miami.
It is an all play, total points, with no waivers league, so my understanding is that bye weeks are irrelevant. Each player/team sits once during the regular season.
this is how i understood it as well.

I'm sure you're right. I'm just used to drafting to avoid bye week issues for the survivor leagues that it slipped my mind.

The first timeout caught me off guard. Had a ton of family in town this weekend and almost zero internet time. Didn't think the clock would run over the weekend. When I saw the email I made the pick/emailed Yudkin. Didn't have time to sit down and rank 50 players, thus the second timeout.Yudkin could have told me that I was stuck with what I got and I would have just moved on. The only people making a big deal out of this are you guys.
It's no big deal, if money were involved I would really care. It's more of a life issue how sometimes rules are broken and sometimes they are not and where do you draw the line and why? Why have a rule only to not enforce it?I do appreciate the mock draft with top fantasy football players, I made some other mistakes in the rules that others may notice later if they care. good luck, I think my team will at best be mid range unless some out perform.

It's no big deal, if money were involved I would really care. It's more of a life issue how sometimes rules are broken and sometimes they are not and where do you draw the line and why? Why have a rule only to not enforce it?

I do appreciate the mock draft with top fantasy football players, I made some other mistakes in the rules that others may notice later if they care. good luck, I think my team will at best be mid range unless some out perform.
Since your brought it up your team is illegal.... only 1 TEAM DEF when you need 2 to start. 6 WRs and 3 TEs

Sucks because I was targeting Pettigrew as my flex spot.

Browns, Cleveland CLE TMQB - 8

Jets, New York NYJ TMQB - 7

Benson, Cedric CIN RB - 6

Dwyer, Jonathan PIT RB - 5

Jackson, Steven STL RB (P) - 9

Spiller, C.J. BUF RB - 6

Berrian, Bernard MIN WR - 4

Crabtree, Michael SFO WR - 9

Edwards, Braylon NYJ WR - 7

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR - 6

Heyward-Bey, Darrius OAK WR (P) - 10

Moore, Lance NOS WR - 10

Olsen, Greg CHI TE - 8

Pettigrew, Brandon DET TE (P) - 7

Shockey, Jeremy NOS TE (P) - 10

Folk, Nick NYJ PK - 7

Hanson, Jason DET PK (P) - 7

Ravens, Baltimore BAL Def - 8

It's no big deal, if money were involved I would really care. It's more of a life issue how sometimes rules are broken and sometimes they are not and where do you draw the line and why? Why have a rule only to not enforce it?

I do appreciate the mock draft with top fantasy football players, I made some other mistakes in the rules that others may notice later if they care. good luck, I think my team will at best be mid range unless some out perform.
Since your brought it up your team is illegal.... only 1 TEAM DEF when you need 2 to start. 6 WRs and 3 TEs

Sucks because I was targeting Pettigrew as my flex spot.

Browns, Cleveland CLE TMQB - 8

Jets, New York NYJ TMQB - 7

Benson, Cedric CIN RB - 6

Dwyer, Jonathan PIT RB - 5

Jackson, Steven STL RB (P) - 9

Spiller, C.J. BUF RB - 6

Berrian, Bernard MIN WR - 4

Crabtree, Michael SFO WR - 9

Edwards, Braylon NYJ WR - 7

Fitzgerald, Larry ARI WR - 6

Heyward-Bey, Darrius OAK WR (P) - 10

Moore, Lance NOS WR - 10

Olsen, Greg CHI TE - 8

Pettigrew, Brandon DET TE (P) - 7

Shockey, Jeremy NOS TE (P) - 10

Folk, Nick NYJ PK - 7

Hanson, Jason DET PK (P) - 7

Ravens, Baltimore BAL Def - 8
I messaged Yudkin about that a couple hours ago. He'll have to swap in the Rams defense for Pettigrew, but I'm not sure what he'll do with Pettigrew. I bet he'll be showing up soon to let us know.

Rams inserted Petigrew. Petigrew becomes the burn card like in poker. So no one gets him.
That sucks. If I lose the league because of the difference between Pettigrew and Jenkins I'll be pissed.
Each team after the illegal pick would have to chose to take him or keep who they had. There were like two rounds of picks (43 total picks) to do that for to get to the end of the draft, so you couldn't just have him and dump your last pick. For that late a pick, it's too much hassle to have to go through that, then do the same thing for the player dropped in favor of Pettigrew.

David Yudkin said:
No. 16 said:
David Yudkin said:
Rams inserted Petigrew. Petigrew becomes the burn card like in poker. So no one gets him.
That sucks. If I lose the league because of the difference between Pettigrew and Jenkins I'll be pissed.
Each team after the illegal pick would have to chose to take him or keep who they had. There were like two rounds of picks (43 total picks) to do that for to get to the end of the draft, so you couldn't just have him and dump your last pick. For that late a pick, it's too much hassle to have to go through that, then do the same thing for the player dropped in favor of Pettigrew.
I understand. Just pissed because I missed out on the flex player I wanted.

David Yudkin said:
No. 16 said:
David Yudkin said:
I understand. Just pissed because I missed out on the flex player I wanted.
Sorry, I messed up, I thought enough rounds to cover all possible roster spots. I didn't add them up. Pettigrew definitely is a sleeper with potential, especially late in the season.

The timeouts were frustrating to begin with since we had such a nice pace going, but the replacements picks on top of that were too much for me. Read the rules, everyone else knew we had a timer on the weekend.

My general strategy was to look hard at potential playoff teams. The last time I played in these leagues, that cost me dearly. There were a few times that I had to choose between players that were likely playoff bound vs those that had little chance.

QB-

NY Giants

Baltimore

RB-

ADP/Gerhart

Jacobs

Addai

WR-

Marshall

Holmes

Dez

Massoquoi

Edelman

Tate

TE-

Heap

Moeaki

K-

Hartley

Nedney

D-

Saints

Cowboys

jeter23 said:
The timeouts were frustrating to begin with since we had such a nice pace going
I KNOW, it was SO FRUSTRATING~! :thumbup:

You guys need to seriously loosen up.

QB 9.04 Cardinals ARI, 10.13 Buccaneers TB

RB 6.13 Brown MIA, 7.04 Williams MIA, 12.13 Hamilton NO, 16.13 Norwood ATL

WR 2.13 Jennings GB, 3.04 Colston NO, 4.13 Rice MIN, 5.04 Bowe KC, 8.13 Breaston ARI, 18.13 Gage TEN

TE 1.04 Gates SD, 14.13 Lewis JAC

DEF 13.04 Chargers SD, 17.04 Falcons ATL

PK 11.04 Gostkowski NE, 15.04 Gould CHI

I don't think it makes sense for me to talk about which positions I'm strong or weak at, since that's obvious just from looking at when I drafted them. It's also not that informative when every player is a starter - a 5th WR counts just as much as a 2nd RB. Instead, I'll say a little bit about my strategy and how the draft went relative to what I planned.

I tailored my projections for this format, and then looked at an anarchy draft from last year, along with my projections and ADPs for this year, to get a sense of where the value would be at different times in the draft. The short version: go TE/WR early, QB/RB middle, and PK/DEF/RB/WR late.

Round 1 (1.04 TE Gates SD): 2 PPR makes the top TEs stand out above the rest. I had Gates (likely the Chargers' top receiver) as the highest scoring non-QB and #1 on my draft board.

Rounds 2-5 (2.13 WR Jennings GB, 3.04 WR Colston NO, 4.13 WR Rice MIN, 5.04 WR Bowe KC): Once the elite few at each position are gone, I expected the value to be at WR and TE. RBs just don't score enough and QBs are too tightly bunched together (in expected value, at least), while PPR gives early round WRs & TEs a lot of points and a big edge on mid-rounders. With TEs flying off the board too quickly to have value, I got 4 WRs to be the core of my team, including Rice who fell thanks to Favre skittishness and Bowe who is showing breakout potential once again.

Rounds 6-10 (6.13 RB Brown MIA, 7.04 RB Williams MIA, 8.13 WR Breaston ARI, 9.04 TMQB Cardinals ARI, 10.13 TMQB Buccaneers TB): This is where value was supposed to emerge at RB and QB, as WR value flattened out and good TEs disappeared. RB went according to plan - Ronnie & Ricky were at the top of my draft board (once Forte was gone) and I'll be thrilled if they get anywhere close to last year's combined 2100 yards and 22 tds. But QBs went too quickly for me - my two favorite value plays (the Steelers and Jaguars) went "late" as the 18th & 21st QBs off the board, but they were still gone before I was ready to take them (Pitt before my 6th rounder and Jax before my 8th). Plan B was to get more RBs and wait to use some late picks on decent QBs - I'd be content with almost anyone besides QB Bills or QB Browns. But I ended up with plan C: in order to avoid getting caught holding the Browns/Bills bag I had to take QBs in the 9th (ARI as QB24) and 10th (TB as QB29). At least I kind of like my QBs - Leinart inherits a high-powered offense and Freeman is a scrambler with some promise going into his second year. In the 8th I made a value play and took Breaston (who I had projected much higher than the other remaining WRs) instead of a RB, so I finished round 10 with mediocre QBs and only two RBs. Everyone ends up with a couple crappy late round players, and I guess mine will be concentrated at RB.

Rounds 11-18 (11.04 PK Gostkowski NE, 12.13 RB Hamilton NO, 13.04 DEF Chargers SD, 14.13 TE Lewis JAC, 15.04 PK Gould CHI, 16.13 RB Norwood ATL, 17.04 DEF Falcons ATL, 18.13 WR Gage TEN): Besides kickers and defenses, I needed 2 RBs, 1 TE, and a flex (probably WR). Out of the players available in round 11, I liked several WRs, Marcedes Lewis (who actually played pretty well last year) and a few others at TE, and at RB Derrick Ward, Hamilton (who had intact ACLs at the time), Julius Jones, and Norwood (hopefully back to 2008 form). I also thought it was worth going for pretty good kickers and defenses, since the top kickers get the largest playoff boost and defenses get a bunch of points for yardage allowed. I didn't want to wait on either until the last round, since there aren't 32 safe kickers and the worst defenses are pretty awful. I took Gostkowski a round too soon and missed out on Ward, but other than that I managed these picks pretty well and got position players that I liked along with good to average kickers & defenses. I was glad that a nice safe boring WR, Gage, was still there for me in the 18th.

Overall I'm pretty happy with my team. I was thrown off by the endless QB run and Hamilton's injury will put me at a handicap right from the start, but I think I did well enough with the rest of the draft (especially the first 5 rounds) to have a good shot at contending.

ZWK said:
QB 9.04 Cardinals ARI, 10.13 Buccaneers TBRB 6.13 Brown MIA, 7.04 Williams MIA, 12.13 Hamilton NO, 16.13 Norwood ATLWR 2.13 Jennings GB, 3.04 Colston NO, 4.13 Rice MIN, 5.04 Bowe KC, 8.13 Breaston ARI, 18.13 Gage TENTE 1.04 Gates SD, 14.13 Lewis JACDEF 13.04 Chargers SD, 17.04 Falcons ATLPK 11.04 Gostkowski NE, 15.04 Gould CHII don't think it makes sense for me to talk about which positions I'm strong or weak at, since that's obvious just from looking at when I drafted them. It's also not that informative when every player is a starter - a 5th WR counts just as much as a 2nd RB. Instead, I'll say a little bit about my strategy and how the draft went relative to what I planned.I tailored my projections for this format, and then looked at an anarchy draft from last year, along with my projections and ADPs for this year, to get a sense of where the value would be at different times in the draft. The short version: go TE/WR early, QB/RB middle, and PK/DEF/RB/WR late.Round 1 (1.04 TE Gates SD): 2 PPR makes the top TEs stand out above the rest. I had Gates (likely the Chargers' top receiver) as the highest scoring non-QB and #1 on my draft board.Rounds 2-5 (2.13 WR Jennings GB, 3.04 WR Colston NO, 4.13 WR Rice MIN, 5.04 WR Bowe KC): Once the elite few at each position are gone, I expected the value to be at WR and TE. RBs just don't score enough and QBs are too tightly bunched together (in expected value, at least), while PPR gives early round WRs & TEs a lot of points and a big edge on mid-rounders. With TEs flying off the board too quickly to have value, I got 4 WRs to be the core of my team, including Rice who fell thanks to Favre skittishness and Bowe who is showing breakout potential once again.Rounds 6-10 (6.13 RB Brown MIA, 7.04 RB Williams MIA, 8.13 WR Breaston ARI, 9.04 TMQB Cardinals ARI, 10.13 TMQB Buccaneers TB): This is where value was supposed to emerge at RB and QB, as WR value flattened out and good TEs disappeared. RB went according to plan - Ronnie & Ricky were at the top of my draft board (once Forte was gone) and I'll be thrilled if they get anywhere close to last year's combined 2100 yards and 22 tds. But QBs went too quickly for me - my two favorite value plays (the Steelers and Jaguars) went "late" as the 18th & 21st QBs off the board, but they were still gone before I was ready to take them (Pitt before my 6th rounder and Jax before my 8th). Plan B was to get more RBs and wait to use some late picks on decent QBs - I'd be content with almost anyone besides QB Bills or QB Browns. But I ended up with plan C: in order to avoid getting caught holding the Browns/Bills bag I had to take QBs in the 9th (ARI as QB24) and 10th (TB as QB29). At least I kind of like my QBs - Leinart inherits a high-powered offense and Freeman is a scrambler with some promise going into his second year. In the 8th I made a value play and took Breaston (who I had projected much higher than the other remaining WRs) instead of a RB, so I finished round 10 with mediocre QBs and only two RBs. Everyone ends up with a couple crappy late round players, and I guess mine will be concentrated at RB.Rounds 11-18 (11.04 PK Gostkowski NE, 12.13 RB Hamilton NO, 13.04 DEF Chargers SD, 14.13 TE Lewis JAC, 15.04 PK Gould CHI, 16.13 RB Norwood ATL, 17.04 DEF Falcons ATL, 18.13 WR Gage TEN): Besides kickers and defenses, I needed 2 RBs, 1 TE, and a flex (probably WR). Out of the players available in round 11, I liked several WRs, Marcedes Lewis (who actually played pretty well last year) and a few others at TE, and at RB Derrick Ward, Hamilton (who had intact ACLs at the time), Julius Jones, and Norwood (hopefully back to 2008 form). I also thought it was worth going for pretty good kickers and defenses, since the top kickers get the largest playoff boost and defenses get a bunch of points for yardage allowed. I didn't want to wait on either until the last round, since there aren't 32 safe kickers and the worst defenses are pretty awful. I took Gostkowski a round too soon and missed out on Ward, but other than that I managed these picks pretty well and got position players that I liked along with good to average kickers & defenses. I was glad that a nice safe boring WR, Gage, was still there for me in the 18th.Overall I'm pretty happy with my team. I was thrown off by the endless QB run and Hamilton's injury will put me at a handicap right from the start, but I think I did well enough with the rest of the draft (especially the first 5 rounds) to have a good shot at contending.
I feel you on the QB run. I thought I had it pegged, but everyone else kept gobbling them up so I ended up with the Raiders and the Bills! I wanted my QBs to be: QB1 Giants/Bears/Falcons/Bengals/Ravens QB2 RaidersI refuse to get caught at the back end of a position run, so I just drafted Raiders and decided to fill out the rest of my lineup and get stuck with one of the last QBs.

ZWK said:
QB 9.04 Cardinals ARI, 10.13 Buccaneers TBRB 6.13 Brown MIA, 7.04 Williams MIA, 12.13 Hamilton NO, 16.13 Norwood ATLWR 2.13 Jennings GB, 3.04 Colston NO, 4.13 Rice MIN, 5.04 Bowe KC, 8.13 Breaston ARI, 18.13 Gage TENTE 1.04 Gates SD, 14.13 Lewis JACDEF 13.04 Chargers SD, 17.04 Falcons ATLPK 11.04 Gostkowski NE, 15.04 Gould CHII don't think it makes sense for me to talk about which positions I'm strong or weak at, since that's obvious just from looking at when I drafted them. It's also not that informative when every player is a starter - a 5th WR counts just as much as a 2nd RB. Instead, I'll say a little bit about my strategy and how the draft went relative to what I planned.I tailored my projections for this format, and then looked at an anarchy draft from last year, along with my projections and ADPs for this year, to get a sense of where the value would be at different times in the draft. The short version: go TE/WR early, QB/RB middle, and PK/DEF/RB/WR late.Round 1 (1.04 TE Gates SD): 2 PPR makes the top TEs stand out above the rest. I had Gates (likely the Chargers' top receiver) as the highest scoring non-QB and #1 on my draft board.Rounds 2-5 (2.13 WR Jennings GB, 3.04 WR Colston NO, 4.13 WR Rice MIN, 5.04 WR Bowe KC): Once the elite few at each position are gone, I expected the value to be at WR and TE. RBs just don't score enough and QBs are too tightly bunched together (in expected value, at least), while PPR gives early round WRs & TEs a lot of points and a big edge on mid-rounders. With TEs flying off the board too quickly to have value, I got 4 WRs to be the core of my team, including Rice who fell thanks to Favre skittishness and Bowe who is showing breakout potential once again.Rounds 6-10 (6.13 RB Brown MIA, 7.04 RB Williams MIA, 8.13 WR Breaston ARI, 9.04 TMQB Cardinals ARI, 10.13 TMQB Buccaneers TB): This is where value was supposed to emerge at RB and QB, as WR value flattened out and good TEs disappeared. RB went according to plan - Ronnie & Ricky were at the top of my draft board (once Forte was gone) and I'll be thrilled if they get anywhere close to last year's combined 2100 yards and 22 tds. But QBs went too quickly for me - my two favorite value plays (the Steelers and Jaguars) went "late" as the 18th & 21st QBs off the board, but they were still gone before I was ready to take them (Pitt before my 6th rounder and Jax before my 8th). Plan B was to get more RBs and wait to use some late picks on decent QBs - I'd be content with almost anyone besides QB Bills or QB Browns. But I ended up with plan C: in order to avoid getting caught holding the Browns/Bills bag I had to take QBs in the 9th (ARI as QB24) and 10th (TB as QB29). At least I kind of like my QBs - Leinart inherits a high-powered offense and Freeman is a scrambler with some promise going into his second year. In the 8th I made a value play and took Breaston (who I had projected much higher than the other remaining WRs) instead of a RB, so I finished round 10 with mediocre QBs and only two RBs. Everyone ends up with a couple crappy late round players, and I guess mine will be concentrated at RB.Rounds 11-18 (11.04 PK Gostkowski NE, 12.13 RB Hamilton NO, 13.04 DEF Chargers SD, 14.13 TE Lewis JAC, 15.04 PK Gould CHI, 16.13 RB Norwood ATL, 17.04 DEF Falcons ATL, 18.13 WR Gage TEN): Besides kickers and defenses, I needed 2 RBs, 1 TE, and a flex (probably WR). Out of the players available in round 11, I liked several WRs, Marcedes Lewis (who actually played pretty well last year) and a few others at TE, and at RB Derrick Ward, Hamilton (who had intact ACLs at the time), Julius Jones, and Norwood (hopefully back to 2008 form). I also thought it was worth going for pretty good kickers and defenses, since the top kickers get the largest playoff boost and defenses get a bunch of points for yardage allowed. I didn't want to wait on either until the last round, since there aren't 32 safe kickers and the worst defenses are pretty awful. I took Gostkowski a round too soon and missed out on Ward, but other than that I managed these picks pretty well and got position players that I liked along with good to average kickers & defenses. I was glad that a nice safe boring WR, Gage, was still there for me in the 18th.Overall I'm pretty happy with my team. I was thrown off by the endless QB run and Hamilton's injury will put me at a handicap right from the start, but I think I did well enough with the rest of the draft (especially the first 5 rounds) to have a good shot at contending.
Thanks for the write up. I'm always interested in the thought processes of other drafters.I was begining to wonder if anyone else wasgoing to do a write up on their team.

49ers, San Francisco SFO TMQB - 9

Falcons, Atlanta ATL TMQB - 8

So, I go into the draft, in the 10 spot, planning on taking GB/NO/Indy QB, or Gates/Clark in the first round, figuring one of the five would be available. Well, they all get taken and I go MJD with my first pick, and my whole strategy is pretty much changed for the rest of the draft. Matt Ryan is not top tier, but he's close, and in a 16 team league with this scoring system I'm happy with where I got him. I like Alex Smith as a QB2 as well.

Hightower, Tim ARI RB - 6

Jones, Julius SEA RB - 5

Jones-Drew, Maurice JAC RB - 9

Williams, Carnell TBB RB - 4

MJD should be solid all year, and Caddy could be a solid #2. Hightower will get more action than people think. Overall my RB's aren't special, but they'll do.

Avant, Jason PHI WR - 8

Jones, James GBP WR - 10

Mason, Derrick BAL WR - 8

Moss, Santana WAS WR - 9

Washington, Nate TEN WR (P) - 9

Wayne, Reggie IND WR - 7

I like my WR's a lot. Wayne/Moss/Mason is a solid top core, I really think Nate Washington will have a good year, and James Jones and Jason Avant have good upside on teams that should throw a lot.

Carlson, John SEA TE (P) - 5

Scheffler, Tony DET TE - 7

Pretty much missed the whole TE run, but I think Carlson and Scheffler are undervalued and should be fairly consistent.

Crosby, Mason GBP PK - 10

Lindell, Rian BUF PK - 6

Bengals, Cincinnati CIN Def - 6

Broncos, Denver DEN Def - 9

A couple top level K/Def's, I'm happy.

Overall I think I did ok, but it's hard to tell. I think I have a fair shot at ending up in the top half. I had fun and apologies if anyone got upset at the timeouts/re-picks... I just had too much going on over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread