What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

IDP Training Camp Blog (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
Getting a late start unfortunately, but I'm hoping to keep us up-to-date on camp situations and news and add thoughts from preseason games as things happen over the next month. All updates and comments from those who get to their team's camp or watch the preseason games are appreciated.

:kicksrock:

There've been no notes yet on how the Bengals have lined up at linebacker, but Peter King's Postcard from Camp yesterday strongly hinted that Mike Zimmer thinks Rey Maualuga is ready to take over in the middle. Though the TO circus is dominating the local media coverage, I'd still expect that it'd be big news if Maualuga had already made the switch or was taking significiant reps inside. Seems like only a matter of time, though, and it wouldn't be surprising to see him taking some second team reps at MLB in the first couple of preseason games. No guarantee he plays in the nickel, however.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Panthers opened with Jon Beason outside and Dan Connor inside as expected. Interestingly, Darin Gantt inserted a little hedge in a pre camp blog about this situation, noting that Connor may not have been quick enough in OTAs to trust with the additional coverage responsbilities he'll need on early downs and that the Panthers may not be fully committed to him inside yet. That's a bit of a change from what we'd heard previously. At the very least, it's strong evidence that Connor may not play every down if he does stick at MLB.

Terrell Suggs reportedly in camp at 260 lbs, down around 20 pounds from last year and fully healthy. Could be in for a big season if it translates to the field.

Browns' head coach Eric Mangini compared T.J. Ward to Lawyer Milloy again last week. With Mike Adams drawing praise, Ward and Larry Asante have been splitting reps at SS so far. With Abram Elam still sitting out, there's some sneaky value to be had with the winner of this battle.

Nothing major to note here, but a worthwhile housekeeping note for those who are still holding out hope for Philip Merling, who's very likely out for the year with a torn Achilles' tendon. Charles Grant was brought into camp for competition, but expect Jared Odrick to get a bigger slice of the rotational pie now.

I'm not certain that he even recognizes he did so, but Omar Kelly has reversed his previous reporting on a recent expected depth chart. He's now calling Karlos Dansby the first team WILB (the Mike in Nolan parlance) after saying that Dansby would replace Crowder at SILB throughout the offseason. Kelly's current position on this is what we've expected here in the Forum all along. I'm withholding formal judgment until the first preseason game, but this puts Dansby in the same role as Patrick Willis, Ray Lewis, Donnie Edwards and DJ Williams. If you're bold -- and I might be -- you can arguably move him just outside the top five.

Brandon Spikes is already getting looks with the first team base defense and they're pushing him by asking him to relay the calls to the huddle. At least one beat writer sees issues in coverage, which is where his lack of foot speed might not be made up for by instincts. We'll watch the nickel packages closely here.

May be something that sticks or not, but the Raiders lined up with Richard Seymour at tackle on early downs during the opening practice and Matt Shaughnessy and Lamarr Houston outside. Houston might be an intriguing body in deeper tackle heavy leagues if he gets all the base snaps. Cable said Houston could be on the field as much as McClain.

Entering camp, the Titans have Will Witherspoon behind Gerald McRath at LOLB, with David Thornton at ROLB (Rennie Curran is listed as the third team ROLB). Lots of interesting possibilities here, though it's a very early chart. Suggests that Thornton is pretty healthy and that the team like McRath. Could be good news for Stephen Tulloch's nickel prospects as well. Also interesting that Curran looks like the heir apparent on the weak side and may not be envisioned as a long term replacement for Tulloch in the middle. Still early, but first impressions are sometimes worth a lot.

There is speculation that Gerald Hayes could start camp on the PUP list and with Daryl Washington freshly signed, the window on getting Washington as a LB5 is nearly shut. Looking forward to seeing how the Cards open at linebacker this weekend.

It sounds like the Vikings are going to be cautious with EJ Henderson, likely starting him on the PUP list. But Henderson says he feels fine and strongly suggested that he'll be full speed once he feels like his feet are under him. I still fully expect him to be the every-down MLB opening weekend.

Osi Umenyiora's hip problem isn't going away without surgery and there's almost no chance he'll be effective enough to get more reps than last year. Mathias Kiwanuka still holds lots of value. Don't trust Umenyiora as anything more than a DL3 or DL4. If he's not playing enough, the hip might force him to call it quits early this year.

It sounds like the Vikings are going to be cautious with EJ Henderson, likely starting him on the PUP list. But Henderson says he feels fine and strongly suggested that he'll be full speed once he feels like his feet are under him. I still fully expect him to be the every-down MLB opening weekend.
Nice thread. Thanks.BTW, Rotoworld reported that Henderson was not on the PUP list today.

Browns' head coach Eric Mangini compared T.J. Ward to Lawyer Milloy again last week. With Mike Adams drawing praise, Ward and Larry Asante have been splitting reps at SS so far. With Abram Elam still sitting out, there's some sneaky value to be had with the winner of this battle.
Question...Is Ward being considered for the full-time SS gig, or he simply covering for Elam? This entire off-season, I was under the impression that Ward was playing FS. Ward's value would definitely shoot northward if he becomes the Browns' SS.

Scheffter tweeted Joe Mays traded for JJ Arrington.

Denver and Philadelphia agreed to a trade: Broncos trade RB J.J. Arrington to Eagles for LB Joe Mays.

From Darin Gantt

Some players have motor scooters. Bah. Props to LB Thomas Davis, who just zoomed by on an old-school Schwinn 10-speed. Pedaling fast, too.

Riding a bike is far from playing but maybe he could play later this year.

David Hawthorne opened camp at WLB (reportedly) with the first team. Hawthorne is still taking reps with the second team at middle linebacker. I wouldn't make much of that, though. With Leroy Hill practicing with the third team, it would seemingly take an injury somewhere for Hawthorne not to be starting opening weekend. The first preseason game (or, at worst, the second) should clear up a few issues -- exactly how Seattle is deploying their "WLB" this year, who's got the upper hand to play every down, whether or not we'll see a lot of Carroll Elephant fronts or Bradley Tampa-2 looks, etc.

Daryl Washington was with the third team during the opening practice today. He's behind Paris Lenon and Ali Highsmith -- presumably at WILB -- with Monty Beisel with the first team in place of Gerald Hayes. Too early to read anything into the third team slot on the depth chart. If Washington is anything near the player the Cards expected, he'll be getting a bigger share of the reps every day.

Jerry McDonald on Twitter -- Raiders nickel package included Seymour, Kelly and Wimbley on the line and McClain and Scott at linebacker. The Raiders won't run Big Nickel all the time, but it's good news for the playing time of Scott, McClain and Wimbley. Not the best of news for Shaughnessy, who looks like he might be rotating with Wimbley on passing downs if Wimbley is effective.

Jerry McDonald on Twitter -- Raiders nickel package included Seymour, Kelly and Wimbley on the line and McClain and Scott at linebacker. The Raiders won't run Big Nickel all the time, but it's good news for the playing time of Scott, McClain and Wimbley. Not the best of news for Shaughnessy, who looks like he might be rotating with Wimbley on passing downs if Wimbley is effective.
There have also been reports from Jerry that Mitchell and Branch have been running together at S. I wouldn't panic just yet, but if Mitchell IS good enough to play, it might push Branch to the fantasy wasteland of free safety.

There have also been reports from Jerry that Mitchell and Branch have been running together at S. I wouldn't panic just yet, but if Mitchell IS good enough to play, it might push Branch to the fantasy wasteland of free safety.
:goodposting: I'd seen that noted with the nickel packages, but not the base defense. Sounds like Mitchell has been struggling to cover Zach Miller, and I'd agree that Mitchell is more likely to play SS than Branch. I think Branch would have better value than the FS of the past couple of years, but he should still be rosterable in deeper leagues if the switch happens.

It looks like Elam and Ward were the starting safeties today. I would assume Elam was the SS and Ward was the FS.link:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/...st_practic.html

When the No. 1 defense lined up, rookie T.J. Ward joined Abram Elam as the starting safeties.

The first official depth chart in Cincinnati has Rey Maualuga at first team SLB, with Michael Johnson behind. There's still time for a move to be made, but the team isn't yet ready to commit to Maualuga in the middle.

Veteran Lawyer Milloy is ahead of Jordan Babineaux on the Seattle depth chart at strong safety. Babineaux always struck me as a replacement level talent, and given Pete Carroll's history with Milloy, this is something that may stick.

jim schwartz:

" Since we have given ZACH FOLLET the chance to compete for a starting spot, he has not disappointed us. We released him after a poor camp last year, but a light came on when we brought him back onto the practice squad. It got to the point where we wanted him on special teams, then we wanted to get him involved in def schems and packages. It was all him. He's done a good job in the offseason program and he's continuing to improve.

Great stuff, JB. Here are some advance tidbits from the upcoming Training Camp Reports:

Bal: Jameel McClain running with the 1s on opening day of camp next to Ray Ray, Dannell Ellerbe and Tavares Gooden also in the mix, but most expected Ellerbe to be in there. Tom Zbikowski filling in for Ed Reed, who could be out a while (PUP candidate for regular season). Kruger gained ~20 lbs and appears to be ready for more action at DE.

Den: Robert Ayers is out of the doghouse. He should start opposite Dumervil. Perrish Cox has pushed his way into the competition for the nickel job along with Nathan Jones and Alphonso Smith.

Hou: Amobi Okoye is in shape and perhaps the light has come on for him finally.

Ind: Pat Angerer is working as the backup at MLB, not competing iwth Philip Wheeler for SLB snaps. With Jerry Hughes, the Colts are looking to employe a "3-DE" system to utilize Hughes, Mathis and Freeney together to amplify their pass rush.

Jax: Terrence Knighton is overweight, coaches not happy. Larry Hart standing out early, Derrick Harvey trimmed down to get back to rushing the passer and regaining explosiveness he lacked last year. Kampman looking good already at ~80%.

KC: Demorrio Williams was not running with the 1s on opening days of camp, could be another Todd Haly mind game, who knows.

Mia: Randy Starks looking good at NT, although he's not expected to be a block-eating NT in the classic sense, but more like Jay Ratliff of the Cowboys; he'll look to penetrate and disrupt as much as occupy. Dansby the early star. Misi and Wake running with the 1s on the outside. Alama-Francis converted to LB and running with 2nd team so far as coaches want to see what he does.

NE: Spikes getting lots of snaps at ILB, team has big plans for him apparently. Chung - same thing. Tyrone McKenzie is back; he and Jermaine Cunningham could contribute this year (heck, the Patriots need all the help they can get at LB/DE0). Wilfork lining up at NE and DE, Warren playing NT while Wilford is at DE.

Oak - Lamarr Houston could be a very nice rookie find. he's lining up at DE with Seymour at DT. Known as a run stuffer, he along with McClain could solidify the Raiders front seven quickly. Wimbley and Scott running at OLB. Shaughnessy at DE opposite Houston.

SD - Darrell Stuckey getting every opportunity to win the job next to Eric Weddle. Cason locked in at corner. English remains the heir apparent to Merriman.

Ten - Morgan off to a rough start, don't overreact. Witherspoon with the 2s, likely to change.

Ari - Daryl Washington will have to earn his spot, running with the 3s, but subject to change. Trumaine McBride starting, for now, opposite DRC, but Greg Toler is competing for that spot, too. Beisel and Lenon are starting at ILB for now.. Watson and Branch reported to camp trimmer than previous years (light bulb come on finally? TBD)

Atl - Brian williams cleared medically for camp, but not ready to compete for a job yet.

Det - Amari Spievey could work his way into the starting mix at corner, but he'll at least be involved in sub-packages and special teams. Houston and Delmas the only ones with starting jobs in secondary at this point. Follett impressing early.

GB - Brad Jones annointed as starter at OLB opposite Matthews, but he has missed practices and Poppinga is filling in. Al Harris faces a steep hill before (if) he is able to return. Burnett is starting at SS, will likely win job unless Bigby gets healthy fast and impresses.

Min - E.J. Henderson is a miracle man. Not quite ready yet, but he's back to being the leader of the Vikings D. Only a matter of time. Griffin on PUP and may not be ready for Week 1. Sheppard filling in and practicing both sides (to be swing corner when Griffin returns); Asher Allen also getting some snaps; Chris Cook impressing early - 3 picks on Saturday (Rosenfels!! :shrug: )

NO - Possible committee at SLB - Evans, Ingram and Dunbar. Ingram a disappointment so far. Really? Shocker. Jenkins replacing Sharper for now, but Sharper not guaranteed spot when healthy.

NYG - Sintim starting at SLB. Goff at MLB, but Bulluck expected to emerge and start by Week 1.

Phi - Nate Allen is starting at FS..

Stl - Larry Grant running with starters at WLB, not Bobby Carpenter. Spags said both will practice, Grant slides over to SLB at times, too. Fletcher, King and Murphy competing for job opposite Bartell.

SF - Singletary singled out Brooks and Goldson as most improved/impressive during offseason. Clements regained starting spot. Lawson reported to camp in tremendous shape. Jean Francois filling in for Franklin at NT.

Sea - Hill demoted and rightfully so. Hawthorne at WLB, Herring top sub, Red Bryant starting at DE, Jackson to 2nd team. Milloy at SS, Thomas starting at FS from first practice after he signed.

TB - McCoy and Price starting at DTs, no surprise. Kyle Moore at DE.

So far so good for aaron kampmann. They're limiting him to one practice a day but he has looked very good according to training camp accounts.

i see some hype for red bryant and lamarr houston getting time at DE. However in my leagues on MFL, they are listed at DT's. Does MFL do an position update before the season starts, if so when typically.

i see some hype for red bryant and lamarr houston getting time at DE. However in my leagues on MFL, they are listed at DT's. Does MFL do an position update before the season starts, if so when typically.
Yep, they do position updates. Usually in the middle of the preseason. there is a thread about it in the IDP forum, if you want to explore.

There should be a thread in the IDP forum when they make the changes. I believe it is usually around the 3rd preseason game, but not 100% sure. I fulyl expect both of the above mentioned to be changed to DE.

:D to Bob and the training camp crew for the updates.

Darin Gantt telling me on Twitter this afternoon that James Anderson is playing alongside Jon Beason in the nickel. He'll apparently have more on that situation in an article to be published tomorrow.

Doesn't sound good for Jags DT D'Anthony Smith. Injured achilles that will require surgery and "out indefinitely". He was supposed to rotate at DT with Knighton and Alualu.

Brian Orakpo is playing the "buck" OLB position for Washington and as a result will see more coverage responsibilities.

In the Redskins' new 3-4 defense, only one outside linebacker regularly has significant coverage responsibility. The position is nicknamed the "Buck" linebacker, and standout second-year player Brian Orakpo will fill the key role this season.
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsi...redskinsinsider
That article is like one big contradiction.

Brian Orakpo's new role: The "Buck"

In the Redskins' new 3-4 defense, only one outside linebacker regularly has significant coverage responsibility. The position is nicknamed the "Buck" linebacker, and standout second-year player Brian Orakpo will fill the key role this season.

The Redskins, at least initially, will rely on Orakpo to be a bigger part of their pass defense than Lorenzo Alexander and Andre Carter, who are competing for the other starting outside spot. Orakpo, who had 11 sacks as a rookie last season, will blitz a lot.

"Buck linebacker is different because we've got pass responsibilities on four downs and also rush responsibilities and blitzes as well," Orakpo said. "We've got to know the best of both worlds."

There aren't many rules associated with the position, the Redskins say. The Buck linebacker must remember where to line up and blitz based on the packages defensive coordinator Jim Haslett calls, but in general, the Buck is afforded a great deal of freedom.

"You have to be smart to play" the position, Haslett said. "He's smart enough to do it."

The Redskins also plan to use others at the position. Alexander and Carter are also learning the role in the scheme, and Haslett, eventually, is expected to mix it up during games -- using players other than Orakpo as the Buck -- in an attempt to confuse opponents. But Orakpo, the Redskins' most explosive pass rusher, will take the lead.

"Since I entered college in my freshman year, I've had a new coordinator every year," Orakpo said. "I have a new coordinator now with Haslett, so that'll be six coordinators in six years. So I've had to learn six new defenses the past six years I've been playing. That's something I do well, picking up new defenses when a new staff comes in."

With Donald Butler done for the season now, how does the LB shuffle play out in San Diego?
Butler would have needed to be very good to crack the current rotation anyway. Likely will again be Stephen Cooper every down (no more Dobbins to rotate in at times) at SILB, with Brandon Siler (base)/Kevin Burnett (nickel) at WILB.

With Donald Butler done for the season now, how does the LB shuffle play out in San Diego?
Butler would have needed to be very good to crack the current rotation anyway. Likely will again be Stephen Cooper every down (no more Dobbins to rotate in at times) at SILB, with Brandon Siler (base)/Kevin Burnett (nickel) at WILB.
Jene, who do you trust more out of Burnett and Siler? Burnett was alarmingly inconsistent last season, as was San Diego's LB corps as a whole. The two almost had the same tackle numbers last season.

Thus far in Lions' camp, C.C. Brown and Marvin White have been lining up with the starters at safety. Delmas is on PUP. The Lions cut Marquand Manuel. Brown seems to be the odds on favorite to start right now. He is not good in coverage, so who knows how this will eventually play out, but whoever starts at this spot will have great value because of the expected high number of tackle opportunities.

If you play in leagues with me, please disregard this. :goodposting:

Any word on who the Houston WLB will be?
Diles is locked in at WLB, its the strong side that is up in the air for the first four games. Adibi was considered the frontrunner before he got the groin injury, so now it could be a battle between Danny Clark and Kevin Bentley, with rookie Sharpton trying to fight in there as well.

Users who are viewing this thread