What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Players Championship (1 Viewer)

twistd

Footballguy
I've been looking at doing a team in the Players Championship. The only thing I really don't like is the lack of a third round reversal. It is tough. If you get a draft spot in the ninth, tenth, eleventh, or twelfth spot, you are at a severe disadvantage. It is really surprising that they didn't include that. I like auctions so much more than drafts, but at least drafts with a third round reversal give the low end slots a bit more of a chance.

sac up and PLAYreally the dual flex and 1.5 PPR for TE do a tremendous amount to negate draft spot
After doing some research, I'll probably do the NFFC Online Championship. It has a third round reversal, better payouts, and a more sensible schedule. The dual flex and the 1.5 TE reception does seem interesting, but not that interesting.

3RR is a gimmick....makes no difference. You can win from any draft spot if you know what you're doing.

I think 3RR stuff is pretty much a gimmick. It might have been necessary for when Marshall Faulk played, but hasn't made a difference since then. It also requires massive explanation to most people and slows down people getting draft picks for their upcoming drafts. It's also something that hardly anyone uses outside of the national contest you cited.

As for better prizes, that simply isn't true. The FBG Players Championship pays 60 spots deep and has a TRUE progressive prize pool. Our top prize won't be $50K. It is almost assuredly going to finish at $60K+. The contest you cited has capped their contest at 720 teams and won't raise their prize pool.

At 720 teams (the real true comparison), we are already offering $55K as a top prize and the other 59 prizes are higher that what they are doing too.

http://footballguys.com/contest_prizes.php

sac up and PLAY

really the dual flex and 1.5 PPR for TE do a tremendous amount to negate draft spot
The Captain knows... :thumbup:

Seriously, thanks for taking a look twistd. As David said, the signups are rolling in fast and we'll most assuredly blow past our $50,000 guaranteed prize as the progressive jackpot kicks in. Link that David posted that lays it all out.

Hope you win the big money.

J

I think 3RR stuff is pretty much a gimmick.
I'm curious as to why you would say this. I've never participated in a draft that uses it but it seems like it would even out the value a little bit. I can remember seeing a post here a few years ago where someone studied the results of the WCOFF over a couple year period and the top positions were far more likely to make the playoffs. If this still holds true, it seems like looking for an equalizer would be pretty important, especially when the entry fees are higher.Has anyone ever studied the results (teams making playoffs) from a national style contest that uses 3RR (or something similar)?

I think 3RR stuff is pretty much a gimmick. It might have been necessary for when Marshall Faulk played, but hasn't made a difference since then. It also requires massive explanation to most people and slows down people getting draft picks for their upcoming drafts. It's also something that hardly anyone uses outside of the national contest you cited.

As for better prizes, that simply isn't true. The FBG Players Championship pays 60 spots deep and has a TRUE progressive prize pool. Our top prize won't be $50K. It is almost assuredly going to finish at $60K+. The contest you cited has capped their contest at 720 teams and won't raise their prize pool.

At 720 teams (the real true comparison), we are already offering $55K as a top prize and the other 59 prizes are higher that what they are doing too.

There was an article on the site in 2008 that measured the difference between a standard draft, 3RR, Bonazi, and double snake. It shows that using a third round reversal helps to even value out a little. This is that article:http://subscribers.footballguys.com/2008/0...quino_3rr12.php

Can you win at the bottom of the draft? Of course you can, but it is much harder. A true third round reversal helps make it a little more even. and it shouldn't be that hard to explain.

Looking at payouts, your payout, at 600 teams, is about 82%. You do increase the prizes as the contest grows, but so does theirs. Their payout at 600 teams is about 89%. They don't say specifically, or at least as far as I can see, what the prizes increase to at 720 teams. Perhaps your payout rate is better than theirs at 720. I can't tell, but at 600 theirs is better.

You guys have created a very interesting contest. I love that the prize money will be in escrow. Maybe next year I will play it, but I like some of the things they have a little better. What would be terrific is if you could do something in an auction format. Auctions are so much better. However, I don't know if there is an auction website that could handle a big contest like yours. Still, I hope someday soon there is that option.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread