What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

MBSL2 - Comment/question/discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Captain Hook

Footballguy
I love the comments and discussions and they are an integral part of these drafts - that said, I hate them IN the draft thread - they not only clutter things up, eat up page space but can influence some drafters ( :coffee: I know not YOU studmuffin).

But let's move them over here and keep going throughout the draft with them

Personally I see Rice moving up strictly a function of the Mississippi Drama Queen being back...but what about the injury?

Greene I don't have any answer for - the drafter made some cryptic reference, but must bleed Green for that pick

PLEASENew thread for comments/questions/discussion - feel free to move those here to that threadLet's keep this thread for just draft picks (yeah that means go back and Delete them)
A thread well past it's time: a good idea but don't get on us for not posting is some place that didn't exist until you created it.And oh, by the way: the guy that springs for this thread automatically ends up being "the guy" that keeps track of the roster's for all 16 teams.....a true exercise in house keeping, color choice and cut and paste technology.You are the proxy choice; go get 'um. :tumbleweed:

There's a pretty good chance that the majority of this group is using the updated FBG's rankings as evidenced by the latest Draft Dom release.It's a classic example of herd mentality based on the common shared perception.Example: Correll Buckhalter is ranked as the #39 RB with an ADP 0f 10.01. The information I've got on Buckhalter shows him as the #294 ADP with a HIGH Draft of #133.Now, we've got an obvious point of departure here with a chance for a serious error: his high rank from my source coincides with ADP from the FBG's rankings. Somehow, someway, the FBG's rankings ("the consensus from the 20 top writers") appears to have an obvious error....or, Buckhalter is a serious value at the 250+ ADP range.Does that explain your answer? You are a victim of narrow vision, of "common shared perception" if you blindly follow those DD rankings.Common shared perception is what led to the mortgage crises: USA housing never goes down in value, remember?
Hogwash. Greene has gone middle 3rd rd to middle 4th round in the WSL/PDSL/SSL. Many of those drafts were before the rankings were released. This group sets ADP, doesn't follow it. I personally have Greene higher than where he's been going. I don't think it's a bad pick, but am surprised that someone didn't risk waiting until the 3rd to see if he would still be there. I was wondering if something happen to increase the risk of him not being there in the 3rd.

And oh, by the way: the guy that springs for this thread automatically ends up being "the guy" that keeps track of the roster's for all 16 teams.....a true exercise in house keeping, color choice and cut and paste technology.You are the proxy choice; go get 'um. :tumbleweed:
That ain't happening Toads....but nice try

Captain Hook said:
Toads said:
And oh, by the way: the guy that springs for this thread automatically ends up being "the guy" that keeps track of the roster's for all 16 teams.....a true exercise in house keeping, color choice and cut and paste technology.You are the proxy choice; go get 'um. :mellow:
That ain't happening Toads....but nice try
It's another great opportunity, kinda like white washing the fence.

BassNBrew said:
I don't think it's a bad pick, but am surprised that someone didn't risk waiting until the 3rd to see if he would still be there. I was wondering if something happen to increase the risk of him not being there in the 3rd.
Yes.I saw something happen.

BassNBrew said:
I don't think it's a bad pick, but am surprised that someone didn't risk waiting until the 3rd to see if he would still be there. I was wondering if something happen to increase the risk of him not being there in the 3rd.
IMO LT is done as a productive FFL player. Just doesnt have it anymore and Green will be the bell-cow this year. OM took him where he had to if he wanted him. Lt is a cheap handcuff (man it kills me to say that) as well.

QB - Peyton Manning(7)

RB - Michael Turner(8)

WR - Anquan Boldin(8), Dwayne Bowe(4)

TE - Owen Daniels(7)

Hoping that O.Daniels is ok. worth the risk IMO in round5

QB - Kevin Kolb (8)

RB - Joseph Addai (7)

WR - Randy Moss (5), Steve Smith NYG (8)

TE - Jason Witten (4)

Need Kolb to perform like everyone hopes - many are banking on it as Jackson, Maclin and Celek have all been drafted. PHI is the only team with 2 WR and a TE drafted so for. Addai is being undervalued again. Hopefully, going with him instead of Moreno is a good choice. WR and TE look good so far.

Unspectacular but solid.

QB: Philip Rivers (10), David Garrard (9)

RB: Panthers Running Game (6), Montario Hardesty (8), (Toby Gerhart (4)

WR: Calvin Johnson (7), Donald Driver (10), Austin Collie (7), Greg Camarillo (4), Golden Tate (5), Brandon LaFell (6)

TE: Visanthe Shank-oe (4), Kevin Boss (8)

DST: Titans (9), Browns (8)

K: Matt Prater (9)

Might just be insane to run the Carolina splits like this, but both RB's are quality and netting D-Will in the 2nd and J Stew in the 4th both seemed half a round to a round off of where I expected them to go. Rest of the positions are shaping up nicely, though 2nd WR is going to be a lot less pretty than half the other teams.

Last edited by a moderator:
QB: Philip Rivers (10)RB: Panthers Running Game (6)WR: Calvin Johnson (7), Donald Driver (10)TE: Visanthe Shank-oe (4)Might just be insane to run the Carolina splits like this, but both RB's are quality and netting D-Will in the 2nd and J Stew in the 4th both seemed half a round to a round off of where I expected them to go. Rest of the positions are shaping up nicely, though 2nd WR is going to be a lot less pretty than half the other teams.
I really don't understand this philosophy in a survivor league. I guess you take the "coin flips chance" that you don't buy it that week. If they were both week 4, I could understand it a bit more. Huge chance you're taking there but it could pay off for sure. The other question is what you'll be passing up to fill that position for that week as well as the rest of the season. All it takes it either that bye week or just one week where that entire offense is shut down. Can't wait to see how it plays out.

QB: Philip Rivers (10)RB: Panthers Running Game (6)WR: Calvin Johnson (7), Donald Driver (10)TE: Visanthe Shank-oe (4)Might just be insane to run the Carolina splits like this, but both RB's are quality and netting D-Will in the 2nd and J Stew in the 4th both seemed half a round to a round off of where I expected them to go. Rest of the positions are shaping up nicely, though 2nd WR is going to be a lot less pretty than half the other teams.
I really don't understand this philosophy in a survivor league. I guess you take the "coin flips chance" that you don't buy it that week. If they were both week 4, I could understand it a bit more. Huge chance you're taking there but it could pay off for sure. The other question is what you'll be passing up to fill that position for that week as well as the rest of the season. All it takes it either that bye week or just one week where that entire offense is shut down. Can't wait to see how it plays out.
There were like 2 weeks the tandem didn't get 20 points or more, which without a stud RB or hitting a great sleeper / backup, is about the best you can hope for. Like you said though, it'll be real interesting to see. Week 6 still leaves weak teams in, so that's what I'm banking on there.

IMO LT is done as a productive FFL player. Just doesnt have it anymore and Green will be the bell-cow this year. OM took him where he had to if he wanted him. Lt is a cheap handcuff (man it kills me to say that) as well.
Well if you watched the game last nite you could say that this would be reversed. If we started are draft over Green might be dropping to the 4th round. :excited:

i think this is a good pace and if we keep it up just during the week. we will be done before labor day weekend. not sure what your complaint is perry
He always seems to be complaining about something. I agree with you...I think we've been on a good pace so far.
BSS doesn't complain; he is not a "complainer" who's always "complaing about something."He's not a gud capitalizer and he makes infrequent references to someone named "perry."

He is, however, a VIOLATOR of the PLEASE REQUEST: posting light banter in the draft thread .....

(which should [must] be kept clean so as to not receive the .....

.....WRATH OF KAHN.).

:tumbleweed:

This is the integral part. :thumbup:

8.15 - Braylon Edwards
That's two Jets receivers now, you getting into Hard Knocks much?
Hopefully I'm getting a little bonus value in this format with Edwards being a "1" for the first 4 weeks and then Holmes coming in to assume the lead dog role. This situation plays well into this format. Both should be good for big weeks. With that said, Edwards hands may severely reduce his value.

8.15 - Braylon Edwards
Hopefully I'm getting a little bonus value in this format with Edwards being a "1" for the first 4 weeks and then Holmes coming in to assume the lead dog role. This situation plays well into this format. Both should be good for big weeks. With that said, Edwards hands may severely reduce his value.
.....so two repicks and Holmes +Edwards +Sanchez= you will be out and watching before the Jets vacation week

hmmm...Made it to me at 3.9 in league 1.
You will have to forgive the ignorance here, but what exactly are you getting at?Perhaps you got some great "value" in the third round of the draft, while I "reached" for him in the second?Please........I drafted him as Rb11 you at RB15?I tend to draft the first four rounds to set up value as I see it falling in the next four rounds.Of course I could be wrong. :thumbup:

8.15 - Braylon Edwards
Hell, I'm just having fun with you. LOL and I said that BEFORE you just picked Sanchez :lmao:

8.15 - Braylon Edwards
Hell, I'm just having fun with you. LOL and I said that BEFORE you just picked Sanchez ;)
Watch out for the Jets passing attack.

hmmm...Made it to me at 3.9 in league 1.
You will have to forgive the ignorance here, but what exactly are you getting at?Perhaps you got some great "value" in the third round of the draft, while I "reached" for him in the second?Please........I drafted him as Rb11 you at RB15?I tend to draft the first four rounds to set up value as I see it falling in the next four rounds.Of course I could be wrong. ;)
My original question was what happened to increase the risk that he wouldn't be there in the third? I never got a straight answer other than you saw something. You must have seen something no one else did because he's consistantly going in the 3rd rd of these drafts.

8.15 - Braylon Edwards
.....so two repicks and Holmes +Edwards +Sanchez= you will be out and watching before the Jets vacation week
Sanchez was selected based on Brady's bye week. Minny should be able to score and force the Jet's to score. CJ in the 5th as a re-pick...I'll take that as a fall back.

MBSL2 - 8th pick

QB - Peyton Manning(7) AlexSmith(9)

RB - Michael Turner(8), Arian Foster(7)

WR - Anquan Boldin(8), Dwayne Bowe(4), LeeEvans(6), Devery Henderson(10)

TE - Owen Daniels(7)

K -

D -

:shrug:

MBSL2 - 9th spot

QB - Matthew Stafford (7), & Chad Henne (5)

RB - Chris Wells (6), Thomas Jones (4)

WR - Miles Austin (4), Hakeem Nicks (8), Jeremy Maclin (8), T.J. Housmandzadeh (5), Legedu Naanee (10)

TE - Jermichael Finley (10)

K -

DST -

In case you were not aware, Hookster has banned both heavy and light BANTER in the draft thread, even lighest banter seemingly placing you in the selective enforcement category.....as a VIOLATOR.

Must be something to it....some are banned while other manage to slip by without a PLEASE ! call out.

10.16: Brandon Tate, WR-NEP

11.01: NYJ DEF

PM is swimmin'
LOL, thanks for taking the Jets off my plate.
There's always PHILLY. :goodposting:

In case you were not aware, Hookster has banned both heavy and light BANTER in the draft thread, even lighest banter seemingly placing you in the selective enforcement category.....as a VIOLATOR.

Must be something to it....some are banned while other manage to slip by without a PLEASE ! call out.

PM is swimmin'
There's always PHILLY. :lmao:
PHILLY was the smart pick for me. I didn't need another week 7 bye and Pitt with their week 5 bye didn't look good either. I was glad you removed the temptation of selecting the Jets. I was almost considering tossing a coin.Regarding the enforcement of the banter...moving it from the draft thread to a discussion thread has killed most of the chatter and commentary in these drafts. Used to be a lot more fun and informative before all the i-phone nerds got upset about too much messaging on a messageboard.

PM is swimmin'
There's always PHILLY. :lol:
PHILLY was the smart pick for me. I didn't need another week 7 bye and Pitt with their week 5 bye didn't look good either. I was glad you removed the temptation of selecting the Jets. I was almost considering tossing a coin.Regarding the enforcement of the banter...moving it from the draft thread to a discussion thread has killed most of the chatter and commentary in these drafts. Used to be a lot more fun and informative before all the i-phone nerds got upset about too much messaging on a messageboard.
:shrug:

PM is swimmin'
There's always PHILLY. :goodposting:
i agree about the banter. im a draft thread banterer and proud of it. sorry perry thats how it is.

Guys if that is the way YOU want it - fine I have no problem (although it shouldn't be discussing players not yet picked IMO .....or is that fair game as well - why not just tell someone how to draft?).....................BUT for several years we have had separate threads not only to keep inappropriate comments out of the draft thread but to make it easier for people using phones to access/post (I am not one of them but I would certainly do anything to accomodate those who need it)

Given we have done that for years, I don't quite understand all these comments but on the other hand I don't understand having only two MBSLs and having both crash into Labor Day Weekend and live drafts that many have had scheduled for months. So go ahead and bash me some more if it makes you feel better.......I am NOT the one "running" these things

Flacco, V. Young

M. Jones Drew, R. Bush, Jerome Harrison

S. Rice, H. Ward, L. Robinson, N. Burleson, Roy Williams

Vernon Davis

If not for S. Rice's news, I would be happy with this core. If Rice comes back a little earlier than they say, who knows.

So I know I'm a huge homer and all, but aside from that.... why did Mike Wallace last until the 7th round / WR36 ?
I almost drafted him right before you. I guess I didn't because I had Ward already but I was tempted to take both. I have a couple live drafts coming up this weekend when i am back in town. Wallace is a guy that will be on at least one of those teams. I like his upside a lot this year. I do think ward and miller benefit with no Big Ben. When he's back i see bombs away baby!

MBSL2 - 9th spot

QB - Matthew Stafford (7), & Chad Henne (5)

RB - Chris Wells (6), Thomas Jones (4)

WR - Miles Austin (4), Hakeem Nicks (8), Jeremy Maclin (8), T.J. Housmandzadeh (5), Legedu Naanee (10)

TE - Jermichael Finley (10)

K -

DST -

[/quote

I like everyone on this team yet you look short at rb. I wonder in getting these guys if you didn't reach a little in the process to achieve it. It'll be interesting to see how this one plays out.

MBSL2 - 8th pick QB - Peyton Manning(7) AlexSmith(9)RB - Michael Turner(8), Arian Foster(7) WR - Anquan Boldin(8), Dwayne Bowe(4), LeeEvans(6), Devery Henderson(10) TE - Owen Daniels(7) K - D - :popcorn:
You picked your qb2 before i did and u have P. Manning. I say that because you only have M. Turner (PPR) and Arian Foster. Good Wr corps.Thanks for posting my picks earlier, I apoligize for some being picked, I had my wife wanting to split so i picked 4 players with a quickness knowing I'd check back on the road on my phone.

MBSL2 - 8th pick QB - Peyton Manning(7) AlexSmith(9)RB - Michael Turner(8), Arian Foster(7), Steve Slaton WR - Anquan Boldin(8), Dwayne Bowe(4), LeeEvans(6), Devery Henderson(10), Louis Murphy TE - Owen Daniels(7) K - D - :shrug:
You picked your qb2 before i did and u have P. Manning. I say that because you only have M. Turner (PPR) and Arian Foster. Good Wr corps.Thanks for posting my picks earlier, I apoligize for some being picked, I had my wife wanting to split so i picked 4 players with a quickness knowing I'd check back on the road on my phone.
I normally would just run solo at QB with a guy like Manning. But Week7 is a tough bye week for this squad so I cannot take a 0 at that spot. Heck who knows A.smith might outscore Peyton once or twice even. I always wait on RB, but I solidified the Houston backfield by grabbing Foster and Slaton.

Captain Hook said:
Guys if that is the way YOU want it - fine I have no problem (although it shouldn't be discussing players not yet picked IMO .....or is that fair game as well - why not just tell someone how to draft?).....................BUT for several years we have had separate threads not only to keep inappropriate comments out of the draft thread but to make it easier for people using phones to access/post (I am not one of them but I would certainly do anything to accomodate those who need it) Given we have done that for years, I don't quite understand all these comments but on the other hand I don't understand having only two MBSLs and having both crash into Labor Day Weekend and live drafts that many have had scheduled for months. So go ahead and bash me some more if it makes you feel better.......I am NOT the one "running" these things
Just pointing out that it has been a conversation killer. That said, there's no reason why it shouldn't work. These leagues were originally an offshoot of the FBG commentary draft for those not selected in the first version. Twilight and I decided to go with 16 teams to include more people and to add a twist. At that time there were detailed discussions about player prospects and strategy.MBSL participation has been waining for a few years while the demand for the earlier leagues has been growing. We'll suspend the clock for Labor Day weekend and finish up the following week if needed. With the season starting later it's nice to do one of these once preseason games have started.

Captain Hook said:
Guys if that is the way YOU want it - fine I have no problem (although it shouldn't be discussing players not yet picked IMO .....or is that fair game as well - why not just tell someone how to draft?).....................BUT for several years we have had separate threads not only to keep inappropriate comments out of the draft thread but to make it easier for people using phones to access/post (I am not one of them but I would certainly do anything to accomodate those who need it) Given we have done that for years, I don't quite understand all these comments but on the other hand I don't understand having only two MBSLs and having both crash into Labor Day Weekend and live drafts that many have had scheduled for months. So go ahead and bash me some more if it makes you feel better.......I am NOT the one "running" these things
Just pointing out that it has been a conversation killer. That said, there's no reason why it shouldn't work. These leagues were originally an offshoot of the FBG commentary draft for those not selected in the first version. Twilight and I decided to go with 16 teams to include more people and to add a twist. At that time there were detailed discussions about player prospects and strategy.MBSL participation has been waining for a few years while the demand for the earlier leagues has been growing. We'll suspend the clock for Labor Day weekend and finish up the following week if needed. With the season starting later it's nice to do one of these once preseason games have started.
I agree they kill the draft conversation.....but let's look for solutions1) If the phone guys no longer have problems with the paging/volum then we can re-introduce it for WSLs2) If it STILL is a problem then why not have all those drafters in one draft and then they can have a side thread for commentsAs for the MBSLs, they may (?) be declining but how many did we have last year?I certainly think we would have had more than two this year if they started earlierFinishing the current drafts should be Job1 - I would suggest a shorter clock even though it will give me problems upcoming but it would be nice to have these wrapped up before Labor Day weekend. As far as finishing the following week? THAT will be a problem for many......we have these things like WCOFF and FFPC and the first game of Week 1 on Thursday.

Captain Hook said:
Guys if that is the way YOU want it - fine I have no problem (although it shouldn't be discussing players not yet picked IMO .....or is that fair game as well - why not just tell someone how to draft?).....................BUT for several years we have had separate threads not only to keep inappropriate comments out of the draft thread but to make it easier for people using phones to access/post (I am not one of them but I would certainly do anything to accomodate those who need it)

Given we have done that for years, I don't quite understand all these comments but on the other hand I don't understand having only two MBSLs and having both crash into Labor Day Weekend and live drafts that many have had scheduled for months. So go ahead and bash me some more if it makes you feel better.......I am NOT the one "running" these things
The reasoning/rational used to make sense: the download time for the content was restrictive.Hence:

1) The draft was split into downloadable "chunks" with the rounds divided into segments (1-6, 7-13 and 14-20), and

2) spliting off the banter made sense so that the amount of content in the "chunks" was downladable and managable.

With the advancement in technology, those reasonings are out the door.

If you look up at post #2 in this thread, there's the quote from the Hookster that spawned the thread, copied from the draft thread and featuring the PLEASE deal and that was the rational for starting the thread.

That reason for starting the thread is now obsolete. The idea that it's irritating to to the guy that started the thread (Hookster) is not. If he don't like it and it's created because it's irritating to him....well, that's still OK to start it......if he takes the innitiative and colorizes the players, cuts and pastes them into teams and then facilitates the discussion and provides a good excuse for the banter in the parallel thread.

Hookster, it's still not too late to do that.....a great opportunity is again presenting it's self and is at hand.

What else you got to do with your time other than wasting it on other than the persuit of FFB banter?

:lmao:

14.13 Nate Kaeding PK SDpm'ing sniff for cowboys pick.
We've got guys PM'ing picks to somebody somewhere....just go back in the draft thread and figure out where the information lies...if anywhere at all.Twenty rounds on a single thread is getting to be a long download, even at top speeds.So, maybe as a concession to expediency, we consider running these on MFL next year....pre-draft and all being available.Only one argument against that: the advantage of having a long drawn out MB post draft is that the entire pre-season information string plays out over the (extended) course of the process. That's not that bad of a deal as you get to latch on to the emerging talent base.Maybe we should consider a thread devoted to who to PM for what....maybe that's a better idea....and, maybe breaking out another thread so's there not a lot of water behind the download bridge. :thumbdown:

14.13 Nate Kaeding PK SDpm'ing sniff for cowboys pick.
We've got guys PM'ing picks to somebody somewhere....just go back in the draft thread and figure out where the information lies...if anywhere at all.Twenty rounds on a single thread is getting to be a long download, even at top speeds.So, maybe as a concession to expediency, we consider running these on MFL next year....pre-draft and all being available.Only one argument against that: the advantage of having a long drawn out MB post draft is that the entire pre-season information string plays out over the (extended) course of the process. That's not that bad of a deal as you get to latch on to the emerging talent base.Maybe we should consider a thread devoted to who to PM for what....maybe that's a better idea....and, maybe breaking out another thread so's there not a lot of water behind the download bridge. :tumbleweed:
I cant do MFL at work. so that would suck for me

14.13 Nate Kaeding PK SD

pm'ing sniff for cowboys pick.
We've got guys PM'ing picks to somebody somewhere....just go back in the draft thread and figure out where the information lies...if anywhere at all.Twenty rounds on a single thread is getting to be a long download, even at top speeds.

So, maybe as a concession to expediency, we consider running these on MFL next year....pre-draft and all being available.

Only one argument against that: the advantage of having a long drawn out MB post draft is that the entire pre-season information string plays out over the (extended) course of the process. That's not that bad of a deal as you get to latch on to the emerging talent base.

Maybe we should consider a thread devoted to who to PM for what....maybe that's a better idea....and, maybe breaking out another thread so's there not a lot of water behind the download bridge.

:lmao:
I cant do MFL at work. so that would suck for me
This means that you "can do" FFG's forums and "can't do" MFL then? That's discrimination of the first order!
:X this is really a sad effort for this group
I pretty much wanted to get that last quote in there as I've been thinking about it for three-four days now....as the MB draft process playes it's self out.Now, in previous year's I'd agree with that but I'm softening my stance somewhat and leaning to the "benifit's of the long play-out draft and seeing that it's OK to drag this mess out.

I would like to engender a dialogue about it though....as something to get the blood flowing.

I mean, it's not "sorry"....it is what it is and we do it for various reasons....speed is not one of those reasons.

If it was, we'd shorten the clock.

:tumbleweed:

Users who are viewing this thread