Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Clifford

SEARCH does not work on this site

84 posts in this topic

I just had a thread deleted containing observations about the NE-ATL game, something I did not see anywhere on the first two pages of threads. I tried multiple searches for this game and was told that my search terms were too short (why on earth would that be a permissions requirement??) and searching for NE-ATL game returned no results.

If you're going to remove threads because they're Hondas, link to the existing thread since the search function on this site simply does not work. Or, improve the search function. I know for a fact I am not the first poster to complain about this. Also a little tired of being a paying customer here and getting treated like I am an unwanted guest.

end :lmao:

Search function actually works great, IMO.

Don't take things like this personally. It's better for everyone if discussions are kept together in the same thread.

Really, I just tried to search for Bills vs Colts and couldn't. How is that great?

I'm not complaining just to complain. Having a non-functioning search function on your site, especially when you expect people to use it and rely on it, is really unacceptable. Google provides a site-search for free. It would take all of 2 hours to implement.

Again, if you expect people to use and the search "Bills vs Colts" returns an error, it doesn't work.

Agree with Clifford. Aaron, exactly what should be typed into the search function for results on the New england vs Atlanta game?

If it says that it is to long and you would have just put in Bills it would have came up on your first page. I really have no idea what your complaining about it I mean it even told you it was to long if you didn't know to just put in one team after that I think your more to blame then the site.

I'm with this dude.....tried searching for Norton's "eyes of the guru" articles.....nothing. This place puts an emphasis on "We have over 500 million pages of content!" What good are they if you can't find the articles you need quickly and efficiently?seems a simple fix with all the money this place is raking in.....FIX IT!!Vill

I just had a thread deleted containing observations about the NE-ATL game, something I did not see anywhere on the first two pages of threads. I tried multiple searches for this game and was told that my search terms were too short (why on earth would that be a permissions requirement??) and searching for NE-ATL game returned no results.If you're going to remove threads because they're Hondas, link to the existing thread since the search function on this site simply does not work. Or, improve the search function. I know for a fact I am not the first poster to complain about this. Also a little tired of being a paying customer here and getting treated like I am an unwanted guest.end :lmao:

Solution:

1. Searchers try a little harder.

2. Forum police be a little more forgiving.

Agree with Clifford. Aaron, exactly what should be typed into the search function for results on the New england vs Atlanta game?

Guys, it is 2010, not 2001. IF you have to ask anything at all about how it works, it doesn't work! People have a slightly higher standard for intuitive functions these days.If you can make an iPhone app, you can add a decent search function to this forum.

I don't really understand the 3 character limit the search function has. For instance, if I search "Ray Rice", the search will end in an error automatically because of his 3 letter first name. So, I end up searching "Rice" and having to sift through tons of threads related to Sidney. I'm not complaining, but since the OP raised the question, it was just something I noticed recently.

I'm with this dude.....tried searching for Norton's "eyes of the guru" articles.....nothing. This place puts an emphasis on "We have over 500 million pages of content!" What good are they if you can't find the articles you need quickly and efficiently?seems a simple fix with all the money this place is raking in.....FIX IT!!Vill

All free articles for the website are logged at www.todayinfantasy.com All pay articles will soon be logged and searchable at footballguys as well. You'll be able to search by author, topic, keywords, players, etc. We are currently in the process of populating the database right now.

using a word like vs yielded the error message... try it with just bills colts next time...

"One or all of your search keywords were below 4 characters or you searched for words which are not allowed, such as 'html', 'img', etc, please go back and increase the length of these search keywords or choose different keywords."

It works fine. You're just not good at it.

YupYour query has to be at least 4 characters long.What bugs me about the search is the flood control! :stirspot:

It works fine. You're just not good at it.

Guys, it is 2010, not 2001. IF you have to ask anything at all about how it works, it doesn't work! People have a slightly higher standard for intuitive functions these days.If you can make an iPhone app, you can add a decent search function to this forum.
:stirspot: Not a fan of the search feature either...

I agree that the search engine is archaic and dysfunctional.

if the search function already works very well for most users (which it does, IMO) wouldn't it be much easier to just help the people having problems with it learn how to use it better?there are limitations involved here given how active this message board is. I believe adding in the capability for 2 and 3-letter word searches and removing flood control could slow the board down considerably.

I don't really understand the 3 character limit the search function has. For instance, if I search "Ray Rice", the search will end in an error automatically because of his 3 letter first name. So, I end up searching "Rice" and having to sift through tons of threads related to Sidney. I'm not complaining, but since the OP raised the question, it was just something I noticed recently.

Just search Rice Ravens then :thumbup: I don't get the limit either but I haven't found it very limiting.

Why can't the search function work with 3 letter words?

I don't understand this.

I aways found the search function to work really well. No problems with it, I don't know what the issue is here.

Why can't the search function work with 3 letter words? I don't understand this.

It probably taxes the database significantly more using a 3 character query. It has to parse through much more information.:thumbup:

i agree the search function on this website doesn't work very well

try searching on this: +rice -sidney

can someone explain to me why there is a Sidney Rice thread on the first page of results when I specifically asked it to exclude posts with Sidney?

if the search function already works very well for most users (which it does, IMO) wouldn't it be much easier to just help the people having problems with it learn how to use it better?
First off, I am obviously not the only person who thinks it sucks. This thread has gotten a lot of negatives from people other than me concerning search. So saying it works well is not really examining the situation.Second, you have a paying customer raising a problem. This is not the way to react to it. When a customer points out a flaw and other customers chime in, you should look into it, instead of immediately dismissing it.Third, if you have to learn to use it it's broken. The web is supposed to be about easy, intuitive interfaces that require no explanation. Site searches should be the easiest thing to use about your site. As this thread has proven it's obviously not close to that.Fourth, Google has this figured out. They provide site-searches for free and even give you instructions for installing it. And it's worth pointing out they delivered the right thread, top result, even when I used a search term three characters or under.Fifth: Even if you don't want to replace it, I think it's fairly obvious that getting rid of the nonsensical and confusing three-char limit would make a lot of sense, especially given that searching for three character terms is going to be fairly natural for most people (ALT, NE, vs, Ray, etc)

well, I just assumed you would be able to put in 'ray rice', or "ray rice", or something like that, so I checked it out ----

I clicked on 'search'

then 'more search options'

then right under the search field I spotted a link they had put there for easy spotting for those who needed help 'ADVANCED USAGE HELP', so I clicked it and learned the following:

"Some Words" Find posts with the phrase 'some words of wisdom', 'some words' but not 'some noise words'

which means you need to enter "ray rice"!!

I think the bottom line is that you're just the kind of person who wastes a ton of time because you have a Frequently Asked Question, but refuses to read the FAQ, or any type of help file.

dude, you gotta take a little responsibility for yourself at some point in your life.

I think the bottom line is that you're just the kind of person who wastes a ton of time because you have a Frequently Asked Question, but refuses to read the FAQ, or any type of help file.

dude, you gotta take a little responsibility for yourself at some point in your life.

/thread

Search function actually works great, IMO.Don't take things like this personally. It's better for everyone if discussions are kept together in the same thread.

:thumbup: If we allow everyone who doesn't bother to look for an active thread to start a new thread on the same topic, the Shark Pool would rapidly become totally useless and unreadable. Nothing personal, we just have to ask everyone to utilize existing threads that cover whatever questions people may have. There is 0% reason to start a new topic about "What did you see on the NE/ATL or BUF/IND games?" when there are already two 40+ reply threads on that EXACT topic. MW

well, I just assumed you would be able to put in 'ray rice', or "ray rice", or something like that, so I checked it out ----

I clicked on 'search'

then 'more search options'

then right under the search field I spotted a link they had put there for easy spotting for those who needed help 'ADVANCED USAGE HELP', so I clicked it and learned the following:

"Some Words" Find posts with the phrase 'some words of wisdom', 'some words' but not 'some noise words'

which means you need to enter "ray rice"!!

I just did exactly what you said and got an error. Fact is if you have to explain it's broken! Ever wonder why Microsoft is sucking wind and Apple is taking over the world? Because Apple got this one simple concept and Microsoft never could.

i agree the search function on this website doesn't work very welltry searching on this: +rice -sidneycan someone explain to me why there is a Sidney Rice thread on the first page of results when I specifically asked it to exclude posts with Sidney?

yes, because you didn't specifically ask it to exclude posts with sydney --- it can't read your mind.you people are killin' me.

Search function actually works great, IMO.Don't take things like this personally. It's better for everyone if discussions are kept together in the same thread.

:thumbup: If we allow everyone who doesn't bother to look for an active thread to start a new thread on the same topic, the Shark Pool would rapidly become totally useless and unreadable. Nothing personal, we just have to ask everyone to utilize existing threads that cover whatever questions people may have. There is 0% reason to start a new topic about "What did you see on the NE/ATL or BUF/IND games?" when there are already two 40+ reply threads on that EXACT topic. MW
No offense taken. The bigger issue here is teaching a man to fish, and fixing a search function that requires a users manual would be a great first step.Well, we've been moved to FFA, so obviously nothing is ever going to be done about this. I'm going to go see if I can't get my subscription refunded. This is ridiculous. Edited by Clifford

You can search for three letter words.

There is a google site specific search at the bottom of the advanced search window. You'll still need to use the + term to search for multiple phrases, but three letter searches are supported.

Search function works, but not that well. Flood control, three letters, plus too many quotes in a reply are annoying.

I've managed because I know how to use it after time, but it's frustrating to new users at the minimum.

You know the only thing I've found that really works?

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ahttp...lient=firefox-a

That could be on your site in about 2 hours. Probably way less if you have someone that has done it before.

Shark Tip:

1. Scroll up to top of page

2. Click on "Search" in the top right corner - a small dialog box will open

3. Click on "More Search Options" in the bottom right corner of the small dialog box

4. Scroll down to bottom of the expanded search page - find a line titled "Search The Footballguys Forums With Google - Allows Searches For Words With <3 Letters - Opens In New Window"

5. Type query in the Google box

6. ???

7. Profit

:thumbup: hth

Searching "+blah +blah +blah +whaaaaa" bring this thread right to the top.

Seems like its working fine to me.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0