What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***OFFICIAL*** Boardwalk Empire thread (4 Viewers)

My question about whether it was Pitt not being able to handle the role of the King, or Pitt being so good he made it look so awkward....was certainly answered. He was back to his old, commanding self for his finale. Great character played by a great actor. I'm sure we'll see him in movies?

And as we've discussed....its only 1921. The material doesn't die with Jimmy.

I had to look up Bourbon during Prohibition. I figured it disappeared since it was so regional, but I guess there were a few stills (including the Woodland Reserve creators) that were kept open for Govt medicinal purposes.

Adding to the disappointment of Jimmy being whacked, was Buscemi's performance in what should've been a powerful moment for Nucky. He was completely succumbing to being a full on gangster and IMO I didn't get the sense that the scene was "big" enough due to Buscemi's lack of presence. It just didn't seem as intense as it should have been. He's a magoo thats trying to be a bad guy and hes not pullin it off, at least not yet. Anyone else feel that way or was it just the shock of seeing Jimmy take one in the face that I didn't grasp the whole thing? I'm going to rewatch it to see if my opinion remains on Buscemi.
I don't agree that Buscemi is all badass gangster now (somebody else stated). He's got a little good in him, Less and less, yes, but the hesitation is because he's is fraction decent. But he'll go nuts when he finds out about the land. I think the pastor gets it. Dude shouldn't accept it if he knows what's good for him. Doesn't he know who Nucky is?

Last edited by a moderator:
'gump said:
My question about whether it was Pitt not being able to handle the role of the King, or Pitt being so good he made it look so awkward....was certainly answered. He was back to his old, commanding self for his finale. Great character played by a great actor. I'm sure we'll see him in movies?
Check out The Dreamers. You'll see more of him than you want, but you'll see all of Eva Green that you could wish.

'gump said:

I had to look up Bourbon during Prohibition. I figured it disappeared since it was so regional, but I guess there were a few stills (including the Woodland Reserve creators) that were kept open for Govt medicinal purposes.
He's already a heavyweight film actor. He's been leads for both Gus Van Zandt and Bernardo Bertlolucci. See Bully or the Dreamers. He's a great actor.

'gump said:

He's already a heavyweight film actor. He's been leads for both Gus Van Zandt and Bernardo Bertlolucci. See Bully or the Dreamers. He's a great actor.
Those were decent efforts but I'm partial to his work in Dawson's Creek

'gump said:

Those were decent efforts but I'm partial to his work in Dawson's Creek

So help me sort this out why would Jimmy knowingly go to get killed by Nucky? Why not leave AC or at the very least reach out and work with Capone. Also I was little perturbed with his Princeton level education and being raised by Nucky but only having the street smarts of a regular hood.

'gump said:
Check out The Dreamers. You'll see more of him than you want, but you'll see all of Eva Green that you could wish.
Indeed. Eva's body is spectacular in this movie.

So help me sort this out why would Jimmy knowingly go to get killed by Nucky? Why not leave AC or at the very least reach out and work with Capone. Also I was little perturbed with his Princeton level education and being raised by Nucky but only having the street smarts of a regular hood.
Yes, he said he died in the war. And then losing his wife, killing his father, and trying to kill his mother probably didn't help things. In other words, he was suicidal. I don't think he knew that he was going to get killed, just that he suspected there was a good chance of it and he didn't care. He got thrown out of Princeton early and they don't teach you that kind of stuff in the lit program anyway. As for his street smarts...not personally dealing with Manny and not sticking around when they found out Nucky had come back with all that whiskey...those where not smart decisions. A lot of smart kids make bad decisions. He was young and didn't have much experience as a decision-maker. While I found those things to be frustrating as somebody who kind of liked the character, I didn't see them as unrealistic.

'Bigboy10182000 said:
'mozzy84 said:
'Billy Bats said:
Adding to the disappointment of Jimmy being whacked, was Buscemi's performance in what should've been a powerful moment for Nucky. He was completely succumbing to being a full on gangster and IMO I didn't get the sense that the scene was "big" enough due to Buscemi's lack of presence. It just didn't seem as intense as it should have been. He's a magoo thats trying to be a bad guy and hes not pullin it off, at least not yet. Anyone else feel that way or was it just the shock of seeing Jimmy take one in the face that I didn't grasp the whole thing? I'm going to rewatch it to see if my opinion remains on Buscemi.
I think its because were so used to seeing him as a whiny little maggot in all his other roles (at least for me anyways). I think this got covered in here alot during season one. I mean what is Busemi, maybe 160 pounds soaking wet? Not really a polarizing figure...Was that really supposed to be the first time Nucky killed somebody? I didn't get Jimmys rant to him about killing someone, I assumed Nucky has been down this road before.
It came off to me like it was his first time actually pulling the triggor and something maybe Jimmy knew. I think one time when #### was hitting the fan that Jimmy even said something to Nucky along the lines of "you're not built for this" or something to that effect.
Yep, Nucky never actually pulled the trigger. That's goes back to your quote and Jimmy talking about the first time he killed someone he got sick etc. This was the first time he actually "got his hands dirty"

'gump said:

Those were 8 and 10 years ago....where's he been?

'gump said:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0685856/And he's known for turning down just about everything. He obviously cares more about doing stuff he likes than he does money.

'gump said:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0685856/And he's known for turning down just about everything. He obviously cares more about doing stuff he likes than he does money.
Also known for a heavy drug habit and as someone said previously not being easy to work with.

'gump said:

Also known for a heavy drug habit and as someone said previously not being easy to work with.
Difficult to work with? Sure. I'm not buying the heavy drug habit thing. I think people are just speculating on his appearance.

'gump said:

He's also a cross-dresser and he beats his kids.

I knew somethin was up with Jimmy in the scene where he tried to get all the guys to recant their stories and they all said they should stay the course and not change anything...the look on Jimmys face at the end of the scene...you could tell he was at the end of his rope.

I knew somethin was up with Jimmy in the scene where he tried to get all the guys to recant their stories and they all said they should stay the course and not change anything...the look on Jimmys face at the end of the scene...you could tell he was at the end of his rope.
see, I saw it differently. the old Jimmy would have probably wussed out, but the look on his face in that scene was that of someone who was confident again, and he knew he needed to take it up a notch...beat it out of them if necessary. the fact that he basically told his mom to shut up was a clue. and in the courtroom, the judge mentioned that everyone DID recant their stories...

Just watched the finale. Completely shocked and disgusted. I might not watch the show anymore. Jimmy was the best character and a heck of an actor. How do you kill off the main character?

Difficult to work with? Sure. I'm not buying the heavy drug habit thing. I think people are just speculating on his appearance.
I don't know what kind of drugs are being referred to here, but FWIW my buddy is a guidance counselor at the high school Michael Pitt used to attend and all of the teachers there said he was a huge pothead who wandered around basically doing nothing but get high.

Just watched the finale. Completely shocked and disgusted. I might not watch the show anymore. Jimmy was the best character and a heck of an actor. How do you kill off the main character?
What if that's what makes the most sense in terms of the story? A lot of writers set up their characters, their conflicts and obstacles, but don't really know where it's all going in the end. They just set them out on a journey, so to speak. Would you rather the status quo be maintained, or would you rather have an organic conclusion to the story? SOA took the former path via some pretty groan-inducing machinations, BE obviously the latter. I prefer BE.I'm also more excited for next year than if Nucky and Jimmy just made nice. What happens with Jimmy's kid? What does Richard do now?

What if that's what makes the most sense in terms of the story? A lot of writers set up their characters, their conflicts and obstacles, but don't really know where it's all going in the end. They just set them out on a journey, so to speak. Would you rather the status quo be maintained, or would you rather have an organic conclusion to the story? SOA took the former path via some pretty groan-inducing machinations, BE obviously the latter. I prefer BE.I'm also more excited for next year than if Nucky and Jimmy just made nice. What happens with Jimmy's kid? What does Richard do now?
Will Van Alden take up gardening and settle into domestic bliss?
I don't know what kind of drugs are being referred to here, but FWIW my buddy is a guidance counselor at the high school Michael Pitt used to attend and all of the teachers there said he was a huge pothead who wandered around basically doing nothing but get high.
He said "heavy", and even mentioning it at all implies hard drugs. I have no idea one way or the other, and don't care, but I have a hard time believing Scorsese and Winter bring on a guy for two seasons of a serial project that has a reputation for being a junkie. Casting people and insurance companies do their due diligence on these things. They could have gotten just about anybody not making blockbuster lead money to do it. Doesn't add up.

it's ok I hear that Tommy will take on a bigger role with the family business.(finless)

it does make sense. ill see how season 3 plays out without jimmy. but if you take the best actor/character out of a show it definitely hurts imo.

I could be way off base here, but im pretty sure that in 2011 smoking pot doesnt = having a drug habit. At least I would hope not.

FWIW, Winter is on record as saying he did exactly this with Jimmy's character. He wasnt even 100% sure until midway through the filming of season two. He left an open ended script.

it does make sense. ill see how season 3 plays out without jimmy. but if you take the best actor/character out of a show it definitely hurts imo.
Unless you introduce another intriguing young character. As will be the case with BE. There will be a new James Cagney like young gun added to the cast in season 3.

Winter has said that Van Alden's going to be back next year. In Cicero, he is now in close proximity to Capone.
That's great news but how do they reconcile how he ended up in Cicero and still keep his job with the bureau :popcorn:
Clearly he won't have a job with the bureau. My guess would be another stretch of alternating Chicago/AC storylines, like when Jimmy was in Chicago. By moving Van Alden over there there can be more going on to even it out. The question is whether or not he will turn into a criminal. He's so all over the place I have no clue how he'll turn out in season three.

Rothstein and the rise of young Al Capone is enought to bring me back for next year.
But heres one problem with that. Isnt this show called Boardwalk Empire? Isnt it supposed to be surrounded around Atlantic City? I understand the show is basically about the Prohibition Era and all the cast of characters connected in some way to this "fictional" character Nucky Thomson but wouldnt making Rothstein, Capone, and Luciano a focus of the show not make any sense since technically its supposed to be about AC?

Rothstein and the rise of young Al Capone is enought to bring me back for next year.
But heres one problem with that. Isnt this show called Boardwalk Empire? Isnt it supposed to be surrounded around Atlantic City? I understand the show is basically about the Prohibition Era and all the cast of characters connected in some way to this "fictional" character Nucky Thomson but wouldnt making Rothstein, Capone, and Luciano a focus of the show not make any sense since technically its supposed to be about AC?
AC will still be the focus. Jimmy is out.....Al Capone is in. They killed off one to bring in another. Nothing is changing at least for next season.

It will continue to focus on AC - but with Rothstein, Capone, etc trying to force Nucky out.

It will continue to focus on AC - but with Rothstein, Capone, etc trying to force Nucky out.
Is this how history played out? I thought Capone did his dirty work in Chicago

if anyone answers this, please do it in Spoiler tags. Dont be a jerk off. :thumbup:

They really have to turn Van Alden and get him in the room with Capone. Can you imagine some of the moments those two could have together given the personalities? Going to be some funny S (I hope).

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>

<BR>Rothstein and the rise of young Al Capone is enought to bring me back for next year.<BR>
<BR>But heres one problem with that. Isnt this show called Boardwalk Empire? Isnt it supposed to be surrounded around Atlantic City? I understand the show is basically about the Prohibition Era and all the cast of characters connected in some way to this "fictional" character Nucky Thomson but wouldnt making Rothstein, Capone, and Luciano a focus of the show not make any sense since technically its supposed to be about AC?<BR>
<BR><BR>It will continue to focus on AC - but with Rothstein, Capone, etc trying to force Nucky out.<BR>
<BR>Is this how history played out? I thought Capone did his dirty work in Chicago<BR>
<BR><BR>
Nucky Johnson (in AC) was instrumental in creating the National Crime Syndicate almost a decade later than where we are now...along with Luciano (who ends up leading it) and Lansky. Rothstein was murdered later in the decade, but was still powerful at the time of his death. Capone became the most powerful during that decade, but fell from power shortly after the NCS began to form.

if anyone answers this, please do it in Spoiler tags. Dont be a jerk off. :thumbup:
A spoiler to history? :lmao:

:lmao:
Im not entitled to my own opinion? :shrug:
Don't get your panties in a wad little guy. I'm sure Jimmy will be back in dream sequences and hallucinations as he haunts Nucky next season.
:excited:

Jimmy was a soldier. He took orders his whole life and it's no surprise that he failed when he tried to lead. While I'm sure that most of us wanted to see Jimmy as a strong, capable main character and mistook his ability to follow the orders of greater men (when he worked for Torrio in Chicago and even when he was doing Nucky's bidding at the end of the season finale)for real greatness....in the end he's nothing more than the nothings that Munya talks about in his speech in the series finale; born to be gobbled up by the middlemen. As much as I liked the character, it was a great storytelling move to get rid of him and the comparisons between this move and the lack of moves in Sons of Anarchy is pretty apt.

Users who are viewing this thread