What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"100 Greatest Players" on NFLN - (List is in original post) (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
This looks like it will be one of the finest NFL Films presentations ever. :headbang:

THE LIST

100-Joe Namath - QB

99 - Michael Strahan - DE

98 - Lee Roy Selmon - DE

97 - Derrick Brooks - LB

96 - Mel Hein - C

95 - Larry Allen - OL

94 - Lenny Moore - RB

93 - Sam Huff - LB

92 - Michael Irvin - WR

91 - Fran Tarkenton - QB

90 - Kurt Warner - QB

89 - Ernie Nevers - FB

88 - Ed Reed - S

87 - Elroy Hirsch - WR

86 - Willie Davis - DE

85 - Marcus Allen - RB

84 - Joe Schmidt - LB

83 - Norm Van Brocklin - QB

82 - Ted Hendricks - LB

81 - Steve Young - QB

80 - Troy Aikman - QB

79 - Emlen Tunnell - DB

78 - Bruce Matthews - OL

77 - Tony Dorsett - RB

76 - Art Shell - OL

75 - Darrell Green - CB

74 - Marion Motley - FB

73 - Ozzie Newsome - TE

72 - Jonathan Ogden - OT

71 - Paul Warfield - WR

70 - Marshall Faulk - RB

69 - Bobby Bell - LB

68 - Mike Webster - C

67 - Kellen Winslow, Sr. - TE

66 - Willie Brown - CB

65 - Randy Moss - WR

64 - Herb Adderley - CB

63 - Jim Otto - C

62 - Randy White - DT

61 - LaDainian Tomlinson - RB

60 - Jack Ham - LB

59 - Mike Ditka - TE

58 - Steve Van Buren - RB

57 - Mike Singletary- LB

56 - Gene Upshaw - OL

55 - Earl Campbell- RB

54 - Forrest Gregg - OT

53 - Willie Lanier - LB

52 - Eric Dickerson - RB

51 - Bart Starr - QB

50 - Terry Bradshaw - QB

49 - Mike Haynes - CB

48 - Red Grange - RB

47 - Ray Nitschke - LB

46 - Roger Staubach - QB

45 - Tony Gonzalez - TE

44 - Mel Blount - CB

43 - Alan Page - DT

42 - John Mackey - TE

41 - Rod Woodson - CB

40 - O.J. Simpson - RB

39 - Gino Marchetti - DE

38 - Lance Alworth - WR

37 - Jim Thorpe - TB/E/FB

36 - Raymond Berry - WR

35 - Chuck Bednarik - C/LB

34 - Deion Sanders - CB

33 - Sid Luckman - QB

32 - Jim Parker - LT

31 - Bruce Smith - DE

30 - "Night Train" Lane - DB

29 - Jack Lambert - LB

28 - Emmitt Smith - RB

27 - Merlin Olsen - DT

26 - Bob Lilly - DT

25 - Dan Marino - QB

24 - John Hannah - G

23 - John Elway - QB

22 - Gale Sayers - RB

21 - Tom Brady - QB

20 - Brett Favre - QB

19 - Bronko Nagurski - FB

18 - Ray Lewis - LB

17 - Barry Sanders - RB

16 - Otto Graham - QB

15 - Deacon Jones - DE

14 - Sammy Baugh - QB/DB/P

13 - Joe Greene - DT

12 - Anthony Munoz - LT

11 - Ronnie Lott - S

10 - **** Butkus - LB

9 - Don Hutson - WR

8 - Peyton Manning - QB

7 - Reggie White - DE

6 - Johnny Unitas - QB

5 - Walter Payton - RB

4 - Joe Montana - QB

3 - Lawrence Taylor - LB

2 - Jim Brown -RB

1 - Jerry Rice - WR

NFL Films-Produced 10-Part Series Counts Down the 100 Greatest Players in Pro Football History

NFL Films, responsible for 46 years of award-winning television and film productions, will debut its latest highly anticipated series on NFL Network entitled The Top 100: NFL's Greatest Players on Friday, September 3 at 10 p.m. ET. The question of "Who is the greatest player in NFL history?" is a subject that links generations and resonates with all NFL fans. The series, rolling out during 10 one-hour episodes this fall, reveals the greatest players of all-time, counting down from 100 to 1, as determined by a blue-ribbon panel of knowledgeable football minds.

"We have the holy trinity of a good sports documentary series -- action, analysis and reminiscence," said NFL Films President Steve Sabol.

The blue-ribbon panel includes both current and former NFL coaches, players and front office personnel, as well as noted NFL media members, Hall of Fame voters and league historians including: Ernie Accorsi (former Giants General Manager), Cris Collinsworth (former player and NBC game analyst), Mike Brown (Bengals Owner), Pat Summerall (former NFL sportscaster), **** Vermeil (former NFL head coach) and Peter King (NFL writer).

More than 250 players from the modern and pre-modern era, including current NFL players, were under consideration by the blue-ribbon panel for selection. The Top 100 will answer for the first time the question of whether players like Joe Montana, Peyton Manning, Deacon Jones, Tom Brady, Barry Sanders, Ray Lewis and Jim Thorpe make the list and where they rank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really enjoying this so far. Very high praise from Ron Wolf regarding Selmon. Better player than Howie Long and Reggie White? Wow.

Raise your hand if you've heard of Mel Hein before tonight. :unsure:
Really?
:shrug:
Count me as someone who has never heard of him before. Im "only" 32 but Ive been watching highlights of old players since I was about 7 or 8 years old and love to learn about the history of the game. Hein is the only player on the list tonite who I did not know about extensively.Also, I really think Lenny Moore is one of the more underrated RB of all time. Whenever I hear people talk about those Colts teams it Johnny U and the defense with Moore kind of just being thrown in. but 26 career TDs of 50 yards or more, 18 straight games with a TD, and averaged 16.6 yards per catch as a RB. I realize his overall rushing totals arent that great but he never got more than 157 carries in a season. Watching this tonite though gave me a greater appreciation for how good he was as an overall football player.

Raise your hand if you've heard of Mel Hein before tonight. :unsure:
Really?
:shrug:
Count me as someone who has never heard of him before. Im "only" 32 but Ive been watching highlights of old players since I was about 7 or 8 years old and love to learn about the history of the game. Hein is the only player on the list tonite who I did not know about extensively.
I'm older than you, I've watched more NFL Films pieces since I was a kid than anyone I KNOW, and I still had no idea who he was. If I did see something on him before, I forgot about it. The guy played in the 30's and early 40's. I think we get a pass on this one.

This shiznitt is great! :unsure:

I hope all of you under 35s are watching......and learning that football didn't begin in the mid-to-late 90's.....

Just to stir the pot, Namath and Irvin are over rated. There are 260 members of the NFL Hall of Fame and to think that these two are part of the 100 greatest players seems like a reach.

Namath was the first to throw for 4k in a season and there was something about a guarantee, but injuries destroyed his chance at real historical greatness.

Irvin led the league in receiving yards in 1991 but never led in any other statistical category. A HOF'er on a great team, but one of the 100 greatest? I don't think so.

Also for you youngsters, look up the names Jim Parker, Sammy Baugh, Jim Thorpe, and Marion Motley. That should give you a good head start going into the rest of the countdown.

Raise your hand if you've heard of Mel Hein before tonight. :thumbup:
Really?
:bag:
Count me as someone who has never heard of him before. Im "only" 32 but Ive been watching highlights of old players since I was about 7 or 8 years old and love to learn about the history of the game. Hein is the only player on the list tonite who I did not know about extensively.
I'm older than you, I've watched more NFL Films pieces since I was a kid than anyone I KNOW, and I still had no idea who he was. If I did see something on him before, I forgot about it. The guy played in the 30's and early 40's. I think we get a pass on this one.
I guess you guys didn't read the past HOF threads where we discussed the best centers of all time. I figured a Raiders fan that isn't too young would know about other greats just from discussing Otto along with other great centers.

I guess you guys didn't read the past HOF threads where we discussed the best centers of all time. I figured a Raiders fan that isn't too young would know about other greats just from discussing Otto along with other great centers.
Didn't see that thread. Seems like there is a HoF thread about this guy or that guy every other day.

OK, I'm watching this now, and I've watched the first three segments. I'm not as impressed as I thought I'd be. I don't particularly care for the format of one person presenting each player. There is no overall narration and no comprehensive information presented about the players' careers.

There is also nothing so far about how they chose the top 100. For example, why Selmon over Strahan? Sporting News chose the top 100 players in NFL history a few years back, and neither of them made the list. How to explain the differences like that?

I think it will be interesting to see how players compare relative to players at other positions as we go through the list. I imagine there will be some controversy there. And how they will slot in active players like Peyton Manning and Tomlinson.

Didn't see that thread. Seems like there is a HoF thread about this guy or that guy every other day.
Not a Hein or Otto thread, just general HOF threads where people would mention that Dermontti Dawson was the greatest center of all time, and some would question what made him better than other all time greats, including Hein.

There is also nothing so far about how they chose the top 100. For example, why Selmon over Strahan?
It's so hard to be in agreement on a list like this when you're getting opinions from various sources.I'm sure you can make a case for #75 being better than #40 when we see the whole list.

OK, I'm watching this now, and I've watched the first three segments. I'm not as impressed as I thought I'd be. I don't particularly care for the format of one person presenting each player. There is no overall narration and no comprehensive information presented about the players' careers.There is also nothing so far about how they chose the top 100. For example, why Selmon over Strahan? Sporting News chose the top 100 players in NFL history a few years back, and neither of them made the list. How to explain the differences like that?I think it will be interesting to see how players compare relative to players at other positions as we go through the list. I imagine there will be some controversy there. And how they will slot in active players like Peyton Manning and Tomlinson.
I'm not sure that the Sporting News would be the place to start. Jim Thorpe at #88, Don Hutson at #6 and Jack Lambert at #30, Jack Ham was a better linebacker than Lambert.

OK, I'm watching this now, and I've watched the first three segments. I'm not as impressed as I thought I'd be. I don't particularly care for the format of one person presenting each player. There is no overall narration and no comprehensive information presented about the players' careers.There is also nothing so far about how they chose the top 100. For example, why Selmon over Strahan? Sporting News chose the top 100 players in NFL history a few years back, and neither of them made the list. How to explain the differences like that?I think it will be interesting to see how players compare relative to players at other positions as we go through the list. I imagine there will be some controversy there. And how they will slot in active players like Peyton Manning and Tomlinson.
The Sporting News list that you refer to appears to only rank players that were active at that time. That would explain no Selmon or Strahan.
Wrong. The top two players were Jim Brown and Jerry Rice. Can you tell me what year they were both active?ETA: Furthermore, Strahan was active through 2007, which is the year they published the list.

The Sporting News list that you refer to appears to only rank players that were active at that time. That would explain no Selmon or Strahan.
Wrong. The top two players were Jim Brown and Jerry Rice. Can you tell me what year they were both active?ETA: Furthermore, Strahan was active through 2007, which is the year they published the list.
I saw a different list and edited my post accordingly. Sorry for the confusion.

There is also nothing so far about how they chose the top 100. For example, why Selmon over Strahan?
It's so hard to be in agreement on a list like this when you're getting opinions from various sources.I'm sure you can make a case for #75 being better than #40 when we see the whole list.
I agree, it's just odd that they don't say anything about their methodology. I don't exactly agree with all of the Sporting News list, or the list in the Pro Football Historical Abstract, or any of Chase's lists... but all of them explain how they created the lists. I mean, if they just polled some panel of experts, that's fine... I just find it odd that they don't say how they did it.

I agree, it's just odd that they don't say anything about their methodology. I don't exactly agree with all of the Sporting News list, or the list in the Pro Football Historical Abstract, or any of Chase's lists... but all of them explain how they created the lists. I mean, if they just polled some panel of experts, that's fine... I just find it odd that they don't say how they did it.
Right. Like, did every person polled give 100 names? Did NFL Films take the 30 or 40 names they got from everyone, then take the liberty of putting the names in some sort of order? As for your disappointment in the program itself, this has to be a totally visual presentation. Having an announcer sit there and say "...and in 1982, he had 1,466 yards at 4.8 yards per carry with XXX yards coming after contact" would bore the pants off of most viewers. "Comprehensive information" is better suited to reading than watching.

Right. Like, did every person polled give 100 names? Did NFL Films take the 30 or 40 names they got from everyone, then take the liberty of putting the names in some sort of order? As for your disappointment in the program itself, this has to be a totally visual presentation. Having an announcer sit there and say "...and in 1982, he had 1,466 yards at 4.8 yards per carry with XXX yards coming after contact" would bore the pants off of most viewers. "Comprehensive information" is better suited to reading than watching.
I like it better now that I'm further into it. The Joe Namath piece presented by Spike Lee got the show off on a bad foot IMO. Most of them have been better than that. But WTF having a woman senator present Tarkenton? Come on.

I wonder how many QBs are going to be in this top 100. Two so far - Namath and Tarkenton. I'd put at least these guys in front of them (in no particular order): Unitas, Montana, Baugh, Peyton, Elway, Marino, Young, Favre, Graham, and Brady. And in Aikman's interview on Irvin, they asked if he'd put Irvin above himself, as if he is in the top 100...

Prognostications have to be a part of this thread right?

so when does Barry Sanders go? Is he the best running back ever? (I only ask because I think so), but if not, who else... Jim Brown, Walter Payton, O.J. Simpson, Eric Dickerson, Gayle Sayers, Emmitt Smith, etc. More importantly, why? What separates them from the rest?

So who are the top 100? Let's figure out who they are independent of order. Here's my guess:

QB - Unitas, Montana, Baugh, Peyton, Elway, Marino, Young, Favre, Graham, Brady, Tarkenton, Namath

RB - Payton, Brown, Sayers, Grange, Sanders, Tomlinson, Emmitt, Faulk, Dickerson, Campbell, Moore, and probably Franco

WR - Rice, Alworth, Hutson, Harrison, Moss, Owens, Largent, Irvin

TE - Ditka, Sharpe, Gonzalez, Mackey, Winslow

OL - Webster, Munoz, Hannah, Slater, Groza, Gregg, Upshaw, Hein, Allen

DL - Reggie White, Lilly, Deacon Jones, Marchetti, Greene, Randy White, Page, Eller, Bruce Smith, Strahan, Selmon

LB - Taylor, Singletary, Lambert, Butkus, Bednarik, Lanier, Lewis, Seau, Brooks

DB - Sanders, Blount, Lott, Lane, Rod Woodson

That's only 71 players. I feel pretty sure I'm light on OL and defense in general. Who else?

So who are the top 100? Let's figure out who they are independent of order. Here's my guess:QB - Unitas, Montana, Baugh, Peyton, Elway, Marino, Young, Favre, Graham, Brady, Tarkenton, NamathRB - Payton, Brown, Sayers, Grange, Sanders, Tomlinson, Emmitt, Faulk, Dickerson, Campbell, Moore, and probably FrancoWR - Rice, Alworth, Hutson, Harrison, Moss, Owens, Largent, Irvin TE - Ditka, Sharpe, Gonzalez, Mackey, WinslowOL - Webster, Munoz, Hannah, Slater, Groza, Gregg, Upshaw, Hein, AllenDL - Reggie White, Lilly, Deacon Jones, Marchetti, Greene, Randy White, Page, Eller, Bruce Smith, Strahan, SelmonLB - Taylor, Singletary, Lambert, Butkus, Bednarik, Lanier, Lewis, Seau, BrooksDB - Sanders, Blount, Lott, Lane, Rod WoodsonThat's only 71 players. I feel pretty sure I'm light on OL and defense in general. Who else?
How could you forget Aaron Rodgers and Jermichael Finley? They will be #1 and #2.

So who are the top 100? Let's figure out who they are independent of order. Here's my guess:QB - Unitas, Montana, Baugh, Peyton, Elway, Marino, Young, Favre, Graham, Brady, Tarkenton, NamathRB - Payton, Brown, Sayers, Grange, Sanders, Tomlinson, Emmitt, Faulk, Dickerson, Campbell, Moore, and probably FrancoWR - Rice, Alworth, Hutson, Harrison, Moss, Owens, Largent, Irvin TE - Ditka, Sharpe, Gonzalez, Mackey, WinslowOL - Webster, Munoz, Hannah, Slater, Groza, Gregg, Upshaw, Hein, AllenDL - Reggie White, Lilly, Deacon Jones, Marchetti, Greene, Randy White, Page, Eller, Bruce Smith, Strahan, SelmonLB - Taylor, Singletary, Lambert, Butkus, Bednarik, Lanier, Lewis, Seau, BrooksDB - Sanders, Blount, Lott, Lane, Rod WoodsonThat's only 71 players. I feel pretty sure I'm light on OL and defense in general. Who else?
How could you forget Aaron Rodgers and Jermichael Finley? They will be #1 and #2.
:rant:

I'm pretty sure Terrell Davis will/should make that list. I'd also strongly consider adding Gates. His career still isn't over and it's been pretty impressive thus far.

I'm pretty sure Terrell Davis will/should make that list. I'd also strongly consider adding Gates. His career still isn't over and it's been pretty impressive thus far.
Yes, I probably should have included Gates. Particularly given that I have only 5 players at TE.I disagree about Davis. I already named 12 RBs, and I did not include Simpson, Martin, Bettis, or Allen. And there are 260 players in the HOF and only 100 players on this list. I'd be pretty surprised if Davis made it, given he hasn't even been a HOF finalist at this point.

Okay, serious answer. You forgot:Staubach, Jurgensen, Fouts, Van Brocklin, Kelly, BradshawAllen, Simpson, Dorsett, ThomasBiletnikoff, MaynardCasperStephenson (short but dominant career)OlsenHendricks, Thomas, Ham, BellHaynes, Green, Wilson, Brown

Yes, I probably should have included Gates. Particularly given that I have only 5 players at TE.

I disagree about Davis. I already named 12 RBs, and I did not include Simpson, Martin, Bettis, or Allen. And there are 260 players in the HOF and only 100 players on this list. I'd be pretty surprised if Davis made it, given he hasn't even been a HOF finalist at this point.
hmmm. Gates, but not TD? Td had a short tenure and that's the only argument one has against it. I guess we will see, but I find it odd that you would include Gates but be reluctant to include Davis who ranks as one of the best postseason RBs in league history as well as being nothing short of dominant before the injury. I think OJ probably gets on the list despite his off-field stuff. Marcus Allen probably deserves a spot too.

Re: Gates. Last year the NFLN did the "10 Best TEs Ever" and he barely made the cut, checking in at #10. Most people interviewed said he could well end up in the top 3, but that he hadn't done it long enough. Keep in mind, many of the same people who were polled for that were likely polled for this, so it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Gates left off this list.

Yes, I probably should have included Gates. Particularly given that I have only 5 players at TE.

I disagree about Davis. I already named 12 RBs, and I did not include Simpson, Martin, Bettis, or Allen. And there are 260 players in the HOF and only 100 players on this list. I'd be pretty surprised if Davis made it, given he hasn't even been a HOF finalist at this point.
hmmm. Gates, but not TD? Td had a short tenure and that's the only argument one has against it. I guess we will see, but I find it odd that you would include Gates but be reluctant to include Davis who ranks as one of the best postseason RBs in league history as well as being nothing short of dominant before he the injury. I think OJ probably gets on the list despite his off-field stuff. Marcus Allen probably deserves a spot too.
agree that OJ and probably Allen should be on the list. Despite TD's "dominance", his tenure is not just an argument, it's THE argument. A seven year career is maybe long enough to be considered great, but not when the last 3 years of that consisted of a total of 16 games. He effectively played 4 seasons at a high level. Is that really enough to be one of the best 100 football players of ALL TIME? He's currently ranked 45th all time in rushing yards, granted, quite impressive due to his short tenure, but does barely rushing inside the top 50 among running backs qualify you for top 100 all time of all positions? I think not.

hmmm. Gates, but not TD? Td had a short tenure and that's the only argument one has against it. I guess we will see, but I find it odd that you would include Gates but be reluctant to include Davis who ranks as one of the best postseason RBs in league history as well as being nothing short of dominant before he the injury. I think OJ probably gets on the list despite his off-field stuff. Marcus Allen probably deserves a spot too.
agree that OJ and probably Allen should be on the list. Despite TD's "dominance", his tenure is not just an argument, it's THE argument. A seven year career is maybe long enough to be considered great, but not when the last 3 years of that consisted of a total of 16 games. He effectively played 4 seasons at a high level. Is that really enough to be one of the best 100 football players of ALL TIME? He's currently ranked 45th all time in rushing yards, granted, quite impressive due to his short tenure, but does barely rushing inside the top 50 among running backs qualify you for top 100 all time of all positions? I think not.
Is it enough for the HOF? No, it hasn't been. But for this show, I'm gonna say it probably is. Probably even moreso bc he's snubbed from the HOF as a result.Btw, 2 other guys left off the lists above.

Kurt Warner = shoe-in

Bo Jackson

Btw, two other guys left off the lists above.

Kurt Warner = shoe-in

Bo Jackson
As much as I loved watching him, I don't see him making this list.
That's the thing, though. This isn't about HOF "careers". This is about 100 "Greatest Players". The guy was an all-world talent that we were robbed of getting to watch. I'd be quite disappointed if he didn't make this list for that reason.

Also, at WR: Tim Brown and maybe Carter.

Okay, serious answer. You forgot:Staubach, Jurgensen, Fouts, Van Brocklin, Kelly, BradshawAllen, Simpson, Dorsett, ThomasBiletnikoff, MaynardCasperStephenson (short but dominant career)OlsenHendricks, Thomas, Ham, BellHaynes, Green, Wilson, Brown
Good post.Regarding QBs, do you really think that nearly 20% of the top 100 will be QBs? Seems excessive. Inexplicably forgot about Staubach and Bradshaw, but I don't really think the rest of the QBs named here (or Kurt Warner) will make it.I think Allen, Simpson, Dorsett, and Thomas are all fine candidates, but I already named 12 RBs. How many should qualify?Disagree with Belitnikoff, Maynard, and Casper.You're probably right about all of the defensive players.

Kurt Warner = shoe-in

Bo Jackson
That's the thing, though. This isn't about HOF "careers". This is about 100 "Greatest Players". The guy was an all-world talent that we were robbed of getting to watch. I'd be quite disappointed if he didn't make this list for that reason.

IMO "greatest" is nebulous. I suspect this list is being formed based on "most accomplished" as opposed to "most talented" or any other derivative. If I am correct, I'm pretty confident that Terrell Davis and Bo Jackson won't make the list.

Kurt Warner = shoe-in

Bo Jackson

IMO "greatest" is nebulous. I suspect this list is being formed based on "most accomplished" as opposed to "most talented" or any other derivative. If I am correct, I'm pretty confident that Terrell Davis and Bo Jackson won't make the list.
If you're correct, I'm confident they won't be either. That said, I hope that isn't the case. If it is, then it's just looking at the top half of the HOF and don't really see much of a point. The ranking is nice, but getting some others on the list that didn't make the HOF for reasons other than talent would be refreshing to me. I would never lobby for Bo in the HOF but that doesn't change how amazing he was even over such a short period.

Good memories. I was crushed when he got injured against the Bengals. Anyone who loves watching athletic beauty and brilliance felt likewise, Raiders fan or not. Such an incredible combination of power and speed. It's like a thoroughbred breaking its leg in the home stretch and having to be put out of its misery. Very sad.

Users who are viewing this thread