What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"100 Greatest Players" on NFLN - (List is in original post) (3 Viewers)

Why are people waiting on Shannon sharpe? Agree or not isn't I fairly obvious at this point he isn't on the list? Seriously.

Why are people waiting on Shannon sharpe? Agree or not isn't I fairly obvious at this point he isn't on the list? Seriously.
Well that was actually the rest of my thought that I never finished: "or didn't he make the list?"Didn't he hold all the major records before Gonzalez broke them? Seems like that would earn him a spot.

Well that was actually the rest of my thought that I never finished: "or didn't he make the list?"Didn't he hold all the major records before Gonzalez broke them? Seems like that would earn him a spot.
I'd be surprised if Sharpe makes the list as a top 40 all time player ahead of Gonzo and Mackey.

this has been a fantastic series. so great watching all the old footage, and hearing the bios/arguments for each player. some thoughts...

- the guy who did the feature on Staubach really nailed it. He hit on exactly what this kid-who-grew-up-in-Dallas-in-the-70s thinks.

- seems like almost all of the old highlights feature a play/tackle/hit/etc that would be a penalty under today's rules.

- was John Mackey really that good? I wasn't convinced by his feature.

I've always heard Mackey talked about in very high regards on these type shows, and always mentioned among the very best of all-time. One of those guys who "redefined the position" although that phrase is clearly overused.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=546

6. John Mackey. I know I am risking being accused of all sorts of things with this placement, considering the NFL Network had him at #1. I saw the highlights, and he certainly was a physical specimen. I'll just say that if I was going by only numbers (relative rankings, all-pro seasons) he wouldn't even be this high, so I am trying to be somewhat deferential to the opinions expressed in the piece--to a point. There are just too many questions that bother me about Mackey when I am considering whether the ranking at #1 is merited or a case of revisionist history. If he is the best of all-time, why did he only appear on awards list in three seasons? More to the point, why did he not sweep the awards in the middle of his prime? In 1967, the UPI gave their first team all-pro honor to Jerry Smith, not Mackey. Now, maybe the voters for the UPI had some axe to grind, but I just have to go by what I see. Also, Mackey and Ditka both retired in 1972. The Hall of Fame was unfairly slow to recognize the game's top tight ends from the early years, but if Mackey is the best ever, why was it that Ditka went into the Hall in 1988, and Mackey not until in 1992?

I'd also like to dispel the notion that Ditka and Mackey cost each other awards. It's true that they played at the same time for a great part of their careers, and both retired after the 1972 season. But the notion they cost each other numerous awards, and thus the first chart I posted undervalues each, is not true. Ditka was the acknowledged best tight end in the game his first four seasons (1961-1964). In 1965, Ditka fell off greatly stat-wise, still finishing 2nd team all-pro, but the unanimous first teamer was not Mackey. It was a 34-year old Pete Retzlaff, an interesting player who seems a cross between a Frank Wychek and a Larry Centers, starting his career as a receiving back, moving to end, then ending his career as a tight end once it became an acknowledged position. Mackey's first all-pro season was the next year, in 1966. Ditka did finish as a 2nd teamer that year, along with a young Jackie Smith, but it was Ditka's final season garnering any awards. The following year, 1967, Mackey was the choice (with the UPI going with Jerry Smith), but Ditka was done as far as league honors went. Mackey was the unanimous choice in 1968, finishing ahead of Jackie Smith in Smith's only unanimous 2nd team all-pro season. That was Mackey's last season getting any awards. Jerry Smith was the unanimous selection in 1969, followed by the first two post merger seasons where Charlie Sanders took top honors unanimously. Mackey's career as the best tight end in the league was framed by Pete Retzlaff and Jerry Smith, not Ditka.
And some responses:
I think there's a few things to factor into John Mackey's record. BTW I grew up as a Colts fan and am a Chiefs fan now, so I do have a couple of dogs in this fight.

First, Mackey probably lost some HoF votes due to his union activities while Ditka probably gained some due to his coaching, even though those things "Shouldn't" by rule factor into the voting. But it's not entirely fair to say Ditka went in four years earlier therefore he was the better TE.

Second, Mackey was the all-60s decade team TE over Ditka. Not a contemporary comparision so perhaps not as valuable a measure as All-Pro picks, etc. but at least as valuable a metric as a four year difference in HoF selection.

Third, look at a picture of Ditka, Retzlaff, Jerry Smith, and Mackey. You'll see something that probably affected at least a few All-Pro votes in the '60s. I don't want to over-state this, but I think it was a factor affecting Mackey's contemporary recognition.

4. Ditka almost created the position. Mackey made it a deep threat. He was fast enough to return kicks for a 30.1 yards per average as a rookie. In his career he caught 25 TDs over 30 yards and 13 over 50 yards (plus the Super Bowl V TD) compared to Ditka's 9 and 2. His career 15.8 yards per catch compares favorably to Ditka's 13.6.

I don't have a big problem with Ditka being #1 or Gonzalez #2 in your list. But I'd rank Mackey #3 over Winslow, Sharpe, and Casper.

All in all, my comments notwithstanding, a good article
Mackey was the best...period. Best blocker and difficult to bring down on the receiving end. The reason for his late entry into the HOF was due to the late Baltimore sportswriter John Steadman--who always held it against Mackey (reasons unknown) for being the first president of the Players Association in 1970, and Steadman carried huge weight among the voters. He was able to keep him out of the Hall until it became ridiculously political (similar to Cleveland writer Tony Grossi and Art Modell)and they finally voted him in. Also remember the Colts had other great receivers--Berry, Orr, Moore, and a second tight end Tom Mitchell, so his numbers weren't as high as if they were on another club. The freight train from Syracuse..

New episode about to begin.

Deion was steaming on tonight's NFL Total Access because he came in at #34 (which is in tonight's episide). He said the only players he can even see coming in ahead of him are Jerry Rice, Lawrence Taylor and Jim Brown.

And you know what? He's right. It's a total JOKE he's not in the top 10-15. :mellow:

Deion was steaming on tonight's NFL Total Access because he came in at #34 (which is in tonight's episide). He said the only players he can even see coming in ahead of him are Jerry Rice, Lawrence Taylor and Jim Brown.
Typical Sanders for ya. Instead of showing some humility and expressing how humbled he is to even be on a list with 99 other football players that have been deemed the greatest ever, he instead acts like the ##### that we all know he is. I wouldn't have expected anymore out of him.

I was really skeptical about this countdown but it isn't bad. There are some players that probably don't belong and others that are rated too high but for the most part it is entertaining and very educational. I really enjoy any chance to learn about players that I didn't get a chance to watch.

My Final top 30:

QB- Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, Sammie Baugh, John Elway, Dan Marino, Otto Graham, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning

WR-Don Hutson, Jerry Rice

RB-Walter Payton Gale Sayers, Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Bronco Nagurski

OL-Anthony Munoz, John Hannah

DL-Reggie White, Joe Greene, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, Bob Lilly

LB-Ray Lewis, Jack Lambert , - Butkus, Lawrence Taylor

DB-Ronnie Lott, Night Train Lane

Deion Sanders said that 37 defensive players are on the list total. Since 26 have already been named, the 11 I have listed above are the locks for the final defensive spots.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Final top 30:QB- Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, Sammie Baugh, John Elway, Dan Marino, Otto Graham, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning WR-Don Hutson, Jerry Rice RB-Walter Payton Gale Sayers, Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Bronco Nagurski OL-Anthony Munoz, John Hannah DL-Reggie White, Joe Greene, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, Bob Lilly LB-Ray Lewis, Jack Lambert , - Butkus, Lawrence Taylor DB-Ronnie Lott, Night Train Lane Deion Sanders said that 37 defensive players are on the list total. Since 26 have already been named, the 11 I have listed above are the locks for the final defensive spots.
No Darrell Green/CB Redskins?

My Final top 30:QB- Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, Sammie Baugh, John Elway, Dan Marino, Otto Graham, Tom Brady, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning WR-Don Hutson, Jerry Rice RB-Walter Payton Gale Sayers, Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Bronco Nagurski OL-Anthony Munoz, John Hannah DL-Reggie White, Joe Greene, Merlin Olsen, Deacon Jones, Bob Lilly LB-Ray Lewis, Jack Lambert , - Butkus, Lawrence Taylor DB-Ronnie Lott, Night Train Lane Deion Sanders said that 37 defensive players are on the list total. Since 26 have already been named, the 11 I have listed above are the locks for the final defensive spots.
No Darrell Green/CB Redskins?
Green already made the list.

New episode about to begin.

And you know what? He's right. It's a total JOKE he's not in the top 10-15. :thumbdown:
Sanders doesn't even sniff the top 10-15 players of all-time. Give me a break.

Nice work here. Hard to make a call on the OL, and I don't really have a feel for how Nagurski fits, but I can't argue with the rest at all.

Dan Marino

Tom Brady

Both are going to be on this week's show. Gale Sayers (based on the promo) seems to be a lock for 30-21 as well.

Steve Young and Kurt Warner both deserve to be ranked higher than Joe Montana.
How do you figure?
Because a lot of people put way to much emphasis on numbers and not how these guys played the game and how they were viewed when they played. Montana was better he was feared and when the game was on the line forget about it. He was money. Warner and Young great players but Montana never failed when it mattered. Numbers are not everything and a lot of numbers are better for players with less talent because of the system they were in. It is the intangibles that separate most of these great players and Montana has all the intangibles you would ever want in a football player. It is silly to say Warner or Young were better.This also settles the Barry Emmit debate. Sorry but can you see Barry Freaken Sanders playing with a separated and showing that much heart...........didn't think so. Emmitt had all the intangibles also Barry just did not. Barry had more natural talent them Emmitt but Emmitt was the better complete football player he just had it. He was an all time great that had that extra something that puts him in the top 10 with Montana. They will be there they both have to be.

Typical Sanders for ya. Instead of showing some humility and expressing how humbled he is to even be on a list with 99 other football players that have been deemed the greatest ever, he instead acts like the ##### that we all know he is. I wouldn't have expected anymore out of him.
Nope he is where he belongs he was not a complete football player. Could not tackle to save his life. I am a fan of his but would not make the top 20 on my list.

Just to stir the pot, Namath and Irvin are over rated. There are 260 members of the NFL Hall of Fame and to think that these two are part of the 100 greatest players seems like a reach.Namath was the first to throw for 4k in a season and there was something about a guarantee, but injuries destroyed his chance at real historical greatness.Irvin led the league in receiving yards in 1991 but never led in any other statistical category. A HOF'er on a great team, but one of the 100 greatest? I don't think so.Also for you youngsters, look up the names Jim Parker, Sammy Baugh, Jim Thorpe, and Marion Motley. That should give you a good head start going into the rest of the countdown.
OK I can't let this go.Michael Irvin was much more then numbers. He was a leader. This guys intensity is unmatched. He made players around him better. Every team knew where the ball was going and he still got it done. Every team knew the slant was coming and it was still completed time and time again. He was as physical a wr you will ever find. His teammates looked to him when times were tough. There was never a moment that was to big for this guy. Matter of fact he lived for the big moments. If Irvin was not the player he was the Cowboys would have won zero titles in that time period. Who was the best compliment wr Irvin ever had next to him? This guy made sure that all players practiced hard and if not got in their face. He was much more then the flash everyone saw after a td catch or first down catch. This guy was a warrior on the field and to say he does not deserve to be in the top 100 players because he never led in statical categories is just plain blind. This guy was the passion and heart of a 3 time Super Bowl winning team. He was a winner and demanded nothing less from himself and his teammates. That puts him in the top 100 cause everyone knows this guy had the talent. It takes more then talent to get into the top 100. HE BELONGS
Blah blah blah... Irvin belongs in neither the HoF nor Top 100.
This response shows how weak your argument is.

Just to stir the pot, Namath and Irvin are over rated. There are 260 members of the NFL Hall of Fame and to think that these two are part of the 100 greatest players seems like a reach.Namath was the first to throw for 4k in a season and there was something about a guarantee, but injuries destroyed his chance at real historical greatness.Irvin led the league in receiving yards in 1991 but never led in any other statistical category. A HOF'er on a great team, but one of the 100 greatest? I don't think so.Also for you youngsters, look up the names Jim Parker, Sammy Baugh, Jim Thorpe, and Marion Motley. That should give you a good head start going into the rest of the countdown.
OK I can't let this go.Michael Irvin was much more then numbers. He was a leader. This guys intensity is unmatched. He made players around him better. Every team knew where the ball was going and he still got it done. Every team knew the slant was coming and it was still completed time and time again. He was as physical a wr you will ever find. His teammates looked to him when times were tough. There was never a moment that was to big for this guy. Matter of fact he lived for the big moments. If Irvin was not the player he was the Cowboys would have won zero titles in that time period. Who was the best compliment wr Irvin ever had next to him? This guy made sure that all players practiced hard and if not got in their face. He was much more then the flash everyone saw after a td catch or first down catch. This guy was a warrior on the field and to say he does not deserve to be in the top 100 players because he never led in statical categories is just plain blind. This guy was the passion and heart of a 3 time Super Bowl winning team. He was a winner and demanded nothing less from himself and his teammates. That puts him in the top 100 cause everyone knows this guy had the talent. It takes more then talent to get into the top 100. HE BELONGS
This may be lame, but I wanted to see if someone had also felt as I felt. "He was a leader" No he wasn't a leader. He was a selfish player who cheated on his wife and played the Charlie Sheen "Hookers and Blow" game. Emmitt Smith winning a game with a separated shoulder, leader. Troy Aikman standing in the pocket and getting smoked by Wilber Marshall, leader. Michael Irvin had talent but he enjoyed playing on one of the great teams of all-time. Jay Novacek MAY have been Aikman's guy. Darryl Johnston was definitely a team leader.
Ok his off the field problems with hookers and drugs was a down fall for him but he was a leader, part of the three headed monster and without any one of the three would not have yielded 3 Super Bowls. Irving was a great player that was winner and he held his teammates to that high level. He is not the first player in the Hall that had off the field history problems. This guy was great and his numbers were held back by the system he was in. He did not cry about that cause he was a team player and only wanted to win and did what ever he had to do to get the win. I want you to find any teammate that did not hold him in high regard. He practiced as hard as he played in the game. Just find it funny how people hate on him.

How do you figure?
Because a lot of people put way to much emphasis on numbers and not how these guys played the game and how they were viewed when they played. Montana was better he was feared and when the game was on the line forget about it. He was money. Warner and Young great players but Montana never failed when it mattered. Numbers are not everything and a lot of numbers are better for players with less talent because of the system they were in. It is the intangibles that separate most of these great players and Montana has all the intangibles you would ever want in a football player. It is silly to say Warner or Young were better.This also settles the Barry Emmit debate. Sorry but can you see Barry Freaken Sanders playing with a separated and showing that much heart...........didn't think so. Emmitt had all the intangibles also Barry just did not. Barry had more natural talent them Emmitt but Emmitt was the better complete football player he just had it. He was an all time great that had that extra something that puts him in the top 10 with Montana. They will be there they both have to be.
I dunno, it probably takes just as much heart to play for an organization that doesn't care about winning. Barry was superior to Smith. However, I do agree (as I think I mentioned earlier in this thread) that Irvin deserves to be in the top 100 and in the HOF. There will be two RBs ranked higher than Sanders - Payton and Brown. I don't agree with that but nostalgia and myth override objective analysis when it comes to rankings in these all-time polls.

Good to see Brady coming in ranked high. Sometimes it seems like people have either some hate against him or bias against current players and favoring older players when ranking all-timers (perhaps both?), but it's always been very clear that Brady is one of the top 10 best QB's ever, and quite arguably top 5.

Speaking of QB's, I was shocked to see Tarkenton so low, the man continues to be underrated due to failing in the SuperBowl.

Tarkenton was the original SuperBowl-era cerebral record setting passer with crazy numbers but who had trouble in the playoffs.... I.E. the first in a line where he was succeeded by Marino, then Favre, then Manning, but in the same vein as those guys who are all going to be ranked much, much higher.

Speaking of QB's, I was shocked to see Tarkenton so low, the man continues to be underrated due to failing in the SuperBowl.Tarkenton was the original SuperBowl-era cerebral record setting passer with crazy numbers but who had trouble in the playoffs.... I.E. the first in a line where he was succeeded by Marino, then Favre, then Manning, but in the same vein as those guys who are all going to be ranked much, much higher.
Well, I think the difference is that those other QBs had playoff troubles but Tarkenton was flat out horrible in the playoffs.Out of 11 postseason gamesHe had only 1 game with a great than 60% completion percentage and 6 below 50%He had only 2 games with more TDs than picks but 6 with more picks than TDsHe had no game over 250 yards passing but 5 with under 150 yards passingI don't particularly like QB rating as a stat but he only had a 58.6 rating in the playoffs but a 80.4 rating in the regular season - playoff troubles is being nice.

Not really. Just saying that the quote above was a bunch of gibberish. The Cowboys absolutely win titles without him.Maybe I'm hating on him a little. He was a great player but, again, he doesn't belong in either group. Drew Pearson was a better 88 for the Cowboys.

Not really. Just saying that the quote above was a bunch of gibberish. The Cowboys absolutely win titles without him.Maybe I'm hating on him a little. He was a great player but, again, he doesn't belong in either group. Drew Pearson was a better 88 for the Cowboys.
Well I guess you know better then the people who played the game and are very close to it. They blew it on two fronts huh Hall of Fame and top 100 players. I also guess the Cowboys just win them titles without Irvin. We agree to disagree on all three fronts and that is fine. I am just glad that the football people voting on this stuff agree with me. The title's with or without Irvin we will never know but the football people realize Irvin was a huge part of it and have voted so.

How do you figure?
I dunno, it probably takes just as much heart to play for an organization that doesn't care about winning. Barry was superior to Smith. However, I do agree (as I think I mentioned earlier in this thread) that Irvin deserves to be in the top 100 and in the HOF. There will be two RBs ranked higher than Sanders - Payton and Brown. I don't agree with that but nostalgia and myth override objective analysis when it comes to rankings in these all-time polls.
Barry Sanders while great and all time great was not the total football player as Emmit was. Barry had the highlights and the ability to make people miss more then any player I have ever seen. Emmit had some of that but what he had more then Sanders was a lot more then just juke moves and highlights. Emmit could do it all catch, run, block, goal line short yardage, get to the outside, toughness, players were never able to get a clean shot on him and he could take it all the way to the house. The big one they guy was a leader and super football IQ. If we are making a list of players with the most raw football talent Emmit would not be in the top 50 and Barry would be in the top 10 but if we are talking about the top 100 football players of all time and what they did on the field and what they meant to the game. Emmit is the choice.One more thing if we are ranking the top running backs of all time maybe I would put Barry over Emmti cause Barry could run the football like no other but outside his exciting running style there was not much else there but if it is top 100 Football PLAYERS of all time. Emmit was a better overall football player pretty much all the way around.

I will be shocked if Troy Aikman doesn't make this list. I am not saying he should make it, but for those voting, a three-time Super Bowl winning QB - one who was the MVP of one of those SB wins - is probably a no-brainer.
This is where things get interesting. If Aikman is a no-brainer, where does Starr, with his 5 championships and two Super Bowl MVP's rate? What about Sammy Baugh who basically invented the modern passing game.
In no way should Aikman get it in. The guy was fortunate to play on a loaded Dallas team. He never led the league any meaningful stat and was the 3rd best QB of his era- at best.
:banned: Aikman has to be the most overrated player in history.When the Cowboys weren't a dynasty, he didn't do squat.He's a Trent Green with 3 rings.Staubach was significantly better.

Love the hate the Cowboys continually get, just for being the Cowboys.

I'm even more interested in reading the responses when they rank Emmitt above Barry.

Mustang Man said:
Barry Sanders while great and all time great was not the total football player as Emmit was. Barry had the highlights and the ability to make people miss more then any player I have ever seen. Emmit had some of that but what he had more then Sanders was a lot more then just juke moves and highlights. Emmit could do it all catch, run, block, goal line short yardage, get to the outside, toughness, players were never able to get a clean shot on him and he could take it all the way to the house. The big one they guy was a leader and super football IQ. If we are making a list of players with the most raw football talent Emmit would not be in the top 50 and Barry would be in the top 10 but if we are talking about the top 100 football players of all time and what they did on the field and what they meant to the game. Emmit is the choice.One more thing if we are ranking the top running backs of all time maybe I would put Barry over Emmti cause Barry could run the football like no other but outside his exciting running style there was not much else there but if it is top 100 Football PLAYERS of all time. Emmit was a better overall football player pretty much all the way around.
Barry could do it all as well. It is a myth that he could not.

At the end of the Tom Brady clip it shows a preview for show #9 for players 20-11.

It is obvious that Favre is on that show because of the Mariucci clip.

Another player is a Running back but it is ambiguous.

At the end of the clip it shows Marvin Lewis and he is speaking about a defensive player. Ray Lewis would be the only one who it would make sense to be since he was the D-Coordinator of Lewis from 1996-2001. (Also you hear Ray Lewis' voice as well)

So Show #9: 20-11 October 28th.

Brett Favre

Ray Lewis

One of the remaining Running backs

Among the 10 players to be named this Thursday are three quarterbacks, including the youngest quarterback to win Super Bowl MVP honors, the last two of the Cowboys’ eight players on the list and a defensive icon who was as widely regarded for his work on the small screen as his accolades on the gridiron.

So confirmed for #30-21:

Tom Brady

John Elway

Dan Marino

Bob Lilly

Emmitt Smith

Merlin Olsen

My guesses for the 4 remaining spots on this episode are Nagurski, Sayers, Hannah, and Lambert.

Among the 10 players to be named this Thursday are three quarterbacks, including the youngest quarterback to win Super Bowl MVP honors, the last two of the Cowboys’ eight players on the list and a defensive icon who was as widely regarded for his work on the small screen as his accolades on the gridiron.

So confirmed for #30-21:

Tom Brady

John Elway

Dan Marino

Bob Lilly

Emmitt Smith

Merlin Olsen

My guesses for the 4 remaining spots on this episode are Nagurski, Sayers, Hannah, and Lambert.
I was right on the 4 remaining spots besides Nagurski (they named Night Train instead).

#30 Night Train Lane-DB

#29 Jack Lambert-MLB

#28 Emmitt Smith-RB

#27 Merlin Olsen-DT

#26 Bob Lilly-DT

#25 Dan Marino-QB

#24 John Hannah-OG

#23 John Elway-QB

#22 Gale Sayers-RB

#21 Tom Brady-QB

My Top 20

QB- Joe Montana, Johnny Unitas, Sammie Baugh, Otto Graham, Brett Favre, Peyton Manning

WR-Don Hutson, Jerry Rice

RB-Walter Payton, Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, Bronco Nagurski

OL-Anthony Munoz

DL-Reggie White, Joe Greene, Deacon Jones

LB-Ray Lewis, D. Butkus, Lawrence Taylor

DB-Ronnie Lott

I like Night Train, Olsen, and Lilly. That is some nice D recognition. Those guys dominated their eras and deserved their rankings.

I'm having a hard time dealing with Elway checking in above Marino. There was nobody like Marino.
While they were both playing, it wasnt really even a debate. Now after they have both ertired and long since left the game, Elway has caught up to Marino :confused: .

I'm having a hard time dealing with Elway checking in above Marino. There was nobody like Marino.
I totally agree. Marino was in a league of his own. What is really going to be sad is that Favre will probably be rated higher and will be remembered as much for the picks that he threw instead of the games in which he nutted up. (Hi Jenn Sterger).

I completely agree. I have a problem with Elway checking in above just about everyone in this episode. Marino is pretty unlucky in the sense that he never really had a good D during his prime years. Until recently, the vast majority of SB winning teams had a top 10 scoring D.I feel the same way about Sayers over Smith and and even OJ and I can't believe that Nagurski is going to be above everyone but maybe Sanders, Payton, and Brown.

Users who are viewing this thread