What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (4 Viewers)

Bell was replaced fairly easily...  I understand these guys are talented but are they worth the other baggage?
Was he?

PIT was the worst rushing team in the league weren't they?

eta - I stand corrected.  2nd worst rushing team in the NFL.

Last edited by a moderator:
matuski said:
Was he?

PIT was the worst rushing team in the league weren't they?

eta - I stand corrected.  2nd worst rushing team in the NFL.
Connor was 6th overall in my league and was a factor in the receiving game.  Throw in 12 TDs...  Not bad at all when you consider he missed 3 games and played a tough schedule.  Would Bell have done significantly better?

Anarchy99 said:
I read it a lot different than you do. From what I read, the Steelers will have to eat like a $21 million cap hit for the remainder of all his bonus money. His new team would only have to pay him his remaining salaries. I believe that averages out to $12 million a year. Basically, PIT would have already paid him a third of his average cap hit in prior bonuses. 

It would be interesting if a team like the Colts traded for AB and later signed Bell. Compared to what some other receivers have gotten or will sign for, AB from $12 million a year is a relative bargain.
All I was saying is that teams now know the Steelers want to trade AB. Interested teams may wait and try to low ball the Steelers.

Ya as an AB owner imagining a union with Luck is intoxicating. Being paired with Russell would be a great consolation prize

Connor was 6th overall in my league and was a factor in the receiving game.  Throw in 12 TDs...  Not bad at all when you consider he missed 3 games and played a tough schedule.  Would Bell have done significantly better?
I think the team is in the playoffs with Bell, yes.

What is with WR's, this needs to be researched.

Rae Carruth

Bob Hayes

Warren Wells

Chad Johnson

Keyshawn Johnson

Terrell Owens

Randy Moss

Dez Bryant

Josh Gordon

Antonio Brown

all those I;m  forgetting.

ffmail4me said:
If I were a Steelers fan, I'd be really pissed the way they have handled their 2 star players. Bell and AB aren't guys you just easily replace. 
Maybe not, but they haven't exactly lit the preseason world on fire with those guys, have they?  Having good QB play and dominating in the trenches (protecting your QB and getting to the other team's QB)..that is how you win in the postseason.  Steelers fans should be hoping that the superstar divas are gone and that money is spent upgrading the team in other areas. 

Anarchy99 said:
I read it a lot different than you do. From what I read, the Steelers will have to eat like a $21 million cap hit for the remainder of all his bonus money. His new team would only have to pay him his remaining salaries. I believe that averages out to $12 million a year. Basically, PIT would have already paid him a third of his average cap hit in prior bonuses. 

It would be interesting if a team like the Colts traded for AB and later signed Bell. Compared to what some other receivers have gotten or will sign for, AB from $12 million a year is a relative bargain.
Assuming you're right, this has to be a no-brainer for a playoff contender.  Because you're right, $12MM in today's market is quite the bargain. I wouldn't even be that shocked to see a team increase his salary if a trade is made, again assuming that you're right.  Man, Packers would be such a great landing spot.

Don't forget safety John Boyett.

Now there is a story worth researching:

Accused of being drunk, head-butting and hitting a cab driver and trying to hide from police by stealing a shovel and covering himself in mulch.

Rae Carruth

Bob Hayes

Warren Wells

Chad Johnson

Keyshawn Johnson

Terrell Owens

Randy Moss

Dez Bryant

Josh Gordon

Antonio Brown

They may bring all bring lot of drama but Josh Gordon is a complete knucklehead and Rae Carruth is just an evil person.  They are on a different level

With the Colts 122 million under the cap Brown just may be the piece they need.  I cannot begin to say how important having a Brown / Hilton / Ebron combination would be.  Their other WRs aren't very good at all.  However, I do have high hopes for Deon Cain.

DropKick said:
Bell was replaced fairly easily...  I understand these guys are talented but are they worth the other baggage?
Brown is not as easy. WR’s development time is longer. RB’s can come right in and plug and play for the most part. Conner did a tremendous job.

JuJu will now draw the double teams etc. We will see how productive he will be without Antonio Brown drawing all the attention. Think what you want about Brown....yeah he is acting like a little #####. But he is a phenomenal player......and it is not because he is some Stud physical talent like a Julio Jones or OBJ. He is because of what Gruden pointed out. No one works harder than AB.

Whatever team get’s him will get a first class pro on the practice field and gridiron. The issue is has he become a total malcontent? Or just with the Steelers? I don’t know. I do not have personal insight inside his gray matter. That is for a GM and coach who are paid millions of dollars to figure out.

But make no mistake.......they won’t simply replace Brown so easily. He is a ridiculous talent.

ffmail4me said:
If I were a Steelers fan, I'd be really pissed the way they have handled their 2 star players. Bell and AB aren't guys you just easily replace. 
What have they won with those 2 on the team, exactly squat. Glad they didnt cave to idiot Bell and adios to cry baby Brown.

What have they won with those 2 on the team, exactly squat. Glad they didnt cave to idiot Bell and adios to cry baby Brown.
They have nothing to do with a shoddy defense.

Now Steelers fans.....you may not be able to even stay in games because your offense will be down 2 superb skill postion players.

Good luck with that. And welcome to my world (Dolphins fan 😩)

They have nothing to do with a shoddy defense.

Now Steelers fans.....you may not be able to even stay in games because your offense will be down 2 superb skill postion players.

Good luck with that. And welcome to my world (Dolphins fan 😩)
LeVeon Bell's shipped sailed last season so they've already moved on from him.  I agree that Brown will be a huge loss though -- the Steelers have had a knack of finding WR talent in the draft but it will be very difficult to replace AB.  

With the Colts 122 million under the cap Brown just may be the piece they need.  I cannot begin to say how important having a Brown / Hilton / Ebron combination would be.  Their other WRs aren't very good at all.  However, I do have high hopes for Deon Cain.
I would think the Steelers wouldn’t trade AB to an AFC contender. My guess is they would ship him to an NFC team (first choice) or a rebuilding AFC team (OAK, NYJ, MIA, etc.).

You're talking about FF.  I believe matuski (and the Steelers, presumably) are concerned with real football.  Conner was much better in 18 than he was as a rookie, and he is a very capable runner.  He was capable as a receiving back, as well.  Bell, isn't a receiving back, though, he's a RB who can also play WR.  He forces defenses to play differently.  Conner can't run the same routes or do the same things in the passing gmae that Bell does.  He's not the receiving threat that Bell is, and that allows defenses to play differently.

Well they are just two parts of the team but most of the time the Steelers got put out of the playoffs one or both of them were not playing and might have been able to make a difference.  Seems like they've been around forever but Bell did not break out until year two in 2014 and AB had a mini-breakout in 2011 but did not start putting up AB type numbers until 2013. So really we are talking about a 4 year window we had both together as superstars and again almost every year they got put out one or both were out.

2014- Bell out when Steelers eliminated

2015- Bell and AB both out when Steelers eliminated

2016- only season both played full game Steelers got put out and was AFC championship game

2017- Bell active but fairly worthless and done after 6 carries when Steelers get put out.

Well they are just two parts of the team but most of the time the Steelers got put out of the playoffs one or both of them were not playing and might have been able to make a difference.  Seems like they've been around forever but Bell did not break out until year two in 2014 and AB had a mini-breakout in 2011 but did not start putting up AB type numbers until 2013. So really we are talking about a 4 year window we had both together as superstars and again almost every year they got put out one or both were out.

2014- Bell out when Steelers eliminated

2015- Bell and AB both out when Steelers eliminated

2016- only season both played full game Steelers got put out and was AFC championship game

2017- Bell active but fairly worthless and done after 6 carries when Steelers get put out.
Says a lot about the most important ability that a player needs to have, and that is AVAILability.

Good luck to his future employer.

Bottom line.....all a problem.
Agreed. We're now getting to see the next-gen prima donna's... the elite athletes who grew up watching the TO's and Deion's of the NFL world and now, because those personalities were not only tolerated, but celebrated, feel they can do whatever they want because there IS an "I" in team.

Agreed. We're now getting to see the next-gen prima donna's... the elite athletes who grew up watching the TO's and Deion's of the NFL world and now, because those personalities were not only tolerated, but celebrated, feel they can do whatever they want because there IS an "I" in team.
Brown is acting like a big baby.  He's so jealous of Ju Ju Smith-Shuster he can't see straight.

The head coaches need to make it very clear before the season starts what won't be tolerated and start off with......MEITIST.   Make it understood no player will be allowed to get all wrapped up in ....ME. You are a pro now so drop that immaturity.

The head coaches need to make it very clear before the season starts what won't be tolerated and start off with......MEITIST.   Make it understood no player will be allowed to get all wrapped up in ....ME. You are a pro now so drop that immaturity.
I agree with this.  My guess is that Mr. Rooney has already discussed this with Tomlin and his statements about AB yesterday are a signal that this kind of stuff won't be tolerated any more.   At least I hope that what it was...

I agree with this.  My guess is that Mr. Rooney has already discussed this with Tomlin and his statements about AB yesterday are a signal that this kind of stuff won't be tolerated any more.   At least I hope that what it was...
I don't like seeing young players in commercials.  I do think it hurts things.

Brown is a special player one that cannot be replaced so the Steelers do need to try what they can to keep him.  99% of the time I'd....dump the problem....but not this time.

I think the team is in the playoffs with Bell, yes.
Really? Maybe if he could make a damn FG.  Or maybe if he could have forced Tomlin to pull his head out of his butt and not think we could beat OAK with Dobbs at the helm.  Or maybe if he could play ILB.

We beat the damn Patriots with an average inexperienced rookie RB who had less than 200 carries his entire college career.

I'll go so far to say that we would have done worse with Bell, because he became a team cancer, had lost a step, and had clearly checked out.

What do fantasy stats have to do with anything? You don't think the Steelers offense would be dramatically better with both Bell and Connor? You don't think that's worth the half of a win that would have given them the division title? 

What do fantasy stats have to do with anything? You don't think the Steelers offense would be dramatically better with both Bell and Connor? You don't think that's worth the half of a win that would have given them the division title? 
Offense was not the issue with this team. Spotty defense let this team down all season.

Rae Carruth

Bob Hayes

Warren Wells

Chad Johnson

Keyshawn Johnson

Terrell Owens

Randy Moss

Dez Bryant

Josh Gordon

Antonio Brown

Dude, WTF? One of these is not like the others. Please list out the felonies for each player.

TIA!

Offense was not the issue with this team. Spotty defense let this team down all season.
Sometimes the best defense is a great offense. Seems to work for the Chiefs.

They lost the division title by half a game. Bell is worth at least that. They don't tie the Browns week one with Bell. They don't lose to the Raiders by 3 with Bell. Probably same said for thier Broncos and Saints losses (one possession losses). 

Why are we are still talking about L. Bell related to the Steelers in 2018?  Bell and the Steelers couldn't agree on a contract for 2018 so Bell didn't play for them - it really is that simple. 

His next employer needs to be wary I think. Maybe this is strictly a matter of specific relationships between certain individuals that have soured beyond repair and it won't repeat with his next team. Then again maybe it's only a matter of time before his next coach/QB/team mate "disrespects" him and the circus resumes.

There is so much dumb in this situation. I thought this would have blown over by now... 

It seems like the typical public trade request by a top player that then prevents him from being traded.  

Often these top players who stupidly make their trade request public don't seem to understand that doing so reduces their trade value to the point where they are really hard to trade.  Other teams will only low ball at that point because they know that A) the trading team might not have the option to refuse a trade and B) the player is a big risk to acquire because he's a volatile idiot that doesn't even know enough to keep his fricken mouth shut about trade requests until he's traded. 

This happens just about every time we hear a player has requested a trade.  If his current team isn't willing to give him away for a 4th rounder just to get rid of him, then he won't get traded.

My prediction is that Brown either gets traded for way less than his actual value or doesn't get moved at all. 

Anarchy99 said:
His new team would only have to pay him his remaining salaries. I believe that averages out to $12 million a year. Basically, PIT would have already paid him a third of his average cap hit in prior bonuses
It's becoming more and more apparent that AB won't be with the Steelers next year, so I hope this story line starts to become more prominent which would make it more attractive for other teams to trade for AB.  I hope the Steelers and AB can mend the fences - but AB has to be a willing partner in that and it sure looks like he doesn't want that at this time. 

You're talking about FF.  I believe matuski (and the Steelers, presumably) are concerned with real football.  Conner was much better in 18 than he was as a rookie, and he is a very capable runner.  He was capable as a receiving back, as well.  Bell, isn't a receiving back, though, he's a RB who can also play WR.  He forces defenses to play differently.  Conner can't run the same routes or do the same things in the passing gmae that Bell does.  He's not the receiving threat that Bell is, and that allows defenses to play differently.
Idk.  It's premature to say that Conner is/is not as good as Bell.  Conner only has one year of history.  However, Conner averaged 4.5 YPC this year and 9.0 YPC this year.  Both those are on par with Bell.  Bell was targeted more in the passing game, but not necessarily as efficient with those touches.  Stats show Conner saw an eight man box quite a bit more than Bell, and was better with yards after contact.

I think Brown is much harder to replace than Bell, but sometimes talent doesn't trump the extra baggage.  Will be interesting to see how this shakes out.

About 12 mil a year for the next 3 years and not responsible for any of his bonus money. That is a steal for the production you get from him. Would have a lower cap number than Hopkins, Beckham, Landry, Julio, Evans and plenty of other established #1 WR.  I think they can still get a first round pick, even with the drama.

About 12 mil a year for the next 3 years and not responsible for any of his bonus money. That is a steal for the production you get from him. Would have a lower cap number than Hopkins, Beckham, Landry, Julio, Evans and plenty of other established #1 WR.  I think they can still get a first round pick, even with the drama.
If those are the numbers, then a team should be willing to give up a 1st because they are not paying too much. We always hear “that’s a lot to give up and then to pay all that money.”

If those are the numbers, then a team should be willing to give up a 1st because they are not paying too much. We always hear “that’s a lot to give up and then to pay all that money.”
Haven't really read all the posts, but the concerns would be if AB now has a bad rep / clubhouse cancer / diva tag on him and if at some point Brown sees what other guys are getting salary wise and demands a new deal (which sort of ties into the diva part). From the Steelers side, I think it depends which teams are making offers (don't want to ship to a conference contender and if trading to an NFC contender the draft picks will be much later in the round).

Why give up a first when the Steelers back is publicly against the wall?  Why give up a first for a potential clubhouse cancer who might also suddenly decide he wants a giant raise? Even if you don't believe that will happen its a big negotiating edge. 

Haven't really read all the posts, but the concerns would be if AB now has a bad rep / clubhouse cancer / diva tag on him and if at some point Brown sees what other guys are getting salary wise and demands a new deal (which sort of ties into the diva part). From the Steelers side, I think it depends which teams are making offers (don't want to ship to a conference contender and if trading to an NFC contender the draft picks will be much later in the round).

Why give up a first when the Steelers back is publicly against the wall?  Why give up a first for a potential clubhouse cancer who might also suddenly decide he wants a giant raise? Even if you don't believe that will happen its a big negotiating edge. 

You do it because AB is the best WR to ever play the game and all the problems are with the steelers locker room, Big Ben, and Tomlin!

:towelwave: 🤞  :lol:  

I think the Steelers are banking on several teams being interested in AB.  If that is the case then it doesn't matter that the Steelers want to to be rid of him, the negotiating edge for them will be playing up the fact that they have multiple suitors.

And with the extended cap hit, after june 1 it won't be until the 2020 draft. A steal for a team looking for an upgrade at WR.

Users who are viewing this thread