What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (6 Viewers)

For Pete’s sake.  He wants to be traded so badly, and then does a bunch of stuff that diminishes his value and costs PIT leverage in trying to move him.  This guy is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
This is so common that every player should know better.  Once a player makes a public trade demand the compensation other teams will offer goes way down.

If you actually want to be traded, quietly tell your GM and keep your mouth shut until the deal is done. 

As a 49er fan, I'd love to have his production but man, he's really gone off the deep end. The rumor is if the Niners don't land Brown, Emmanuel Sanders could be a back up plan...

If picking between those two I'd rather have Brown as he's more of a difference maker on the field, and Sanders is coming off an Achilles injury, but both are short term answers given their age.

Ugh.

As a 49er fan, I'd love to have his production but man, he's really gone off the deep end. The rumor is if the Niners don't land Brown, Emmanuel Sanders could be a back up plan...

If picking between those two I'd rather have Brown as he's more of a difference maker on the field, and Sanders is coming off an Achilles injury, but both are short term answers given their age.

Ugh.
Predicting aging process is never easy but I think he's got more left in the tank then you think.  I have often said I think he as at least 3 big time seasons left in him. 

Some valid reasons IMO to think he will hold up well. Lack of serious injuries/surgeries, work ethic, relies on quickness more then speed,  and lastly while he may make some poor decisions off the field on the field he's a brilliant tactician.  I know it's easy to knock AB now, but he did not just put out the best 5-6 year run a WR's has ever had because he was bigger or then anyone or dominating people physically.

The Steeler fan in me hates to see AB leave. The AB dynasty owner in me thinks SF is an upgrade for him and should he find himself in SF he will easily be my #1WR next season. You got a coach who threw it 203 times to Julio one year and 182 times to Garcon another year. It's a match made in heaven but as of last week some SF beat writers I follow seemed to not think it was that likely to happen.

This is so common that every player should know better.  Once a player makes a public trade demand the compensation other teams will offer goes way down.

If you actually want to be traded, quietly tell your GM and keep your mouth shut until the deal is done. 
Don't agree with you guys here. Why would they want their old team to get maximum compensation? Well I do agree with behind the scenes is probably the easiest way to make it work, but if you were getting traded, you'd want your new team to not pay as much.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't agree with you guys here. Why would they want their old team to get maximum compensation? Well I do agree with behind the scenes is probably the easiest way to make it work, but if you were getting traded, you'd want your new team to not pay as much.
I would say it's so the team can actually meet your trade demand.  You usually can't have it both ways - it's cutting off your nose to spite your face.  Do you want what's good for you, or what's bad for the team?

Would Pittsburgh trade AB for a 1st and eat the dead cap?  Probably.

Will they trade him for a 4th and eat the dead cap?  Probably not.

I'd like him in Washington please. No idea who throws him the ball, but I'll happily take him. Its been since, shoot Art Monk or Gary Clark since we've had a legit #1 WR? ( I don't count Coles or S. Moss as true #1 WRs, ideal #2 or slot guys) 

I'd like him in Washington please. No idea who throws him the ball, but I'll happily take him. Its been since, shoot Art Monk or Gary Clark since we've had a legit #1 WR? ( I don't count Coles or S. Moss as true #1 WRs, ideal #2 or slot guys) 
Would you trade their 2019 or 2020 first for him? 

I think what will impact AB's trade market more then anything you hear or read about in the press or social media is if Steelers give permission to teams to speak with Rosenhaus. It's quite possible AB took this ploy today because that permission has not yet been granted.

I think what will impact AB's trade market more then anything you hear or read about in the press or social media is if Steelers give permission to teams to speak with Rosenhaus. It's quite possible AB took this ploy today because that permission has not yet been granted.
If I were the Steelers, I would talk to other teams directly and keep AB and his agent out of it.   AB is under contract and can be traded anywhere... he doesn't have to agree or like it.  Now, other teams might want to talk to them before finalizing a trade to gage ABs interest, but I would not give AB permission to seek a trade o  his own.

Predicting aging process is never easy but I think he's got more left in the tank then you think.  I have often said I think he as at least 3 big time seasons left in him. 

Some valid reasons IMO to think he will hold up well. Lack of serious injuries/surgeries, work ethic, relies on quickness more then speed,  and lastly while he may make some poor decisions off the field on the field he's a brilliant tactician.  I know it's easy to knock AB now, but he did not just put out the best 5-6 year run a WR's has ever had because he was bigger or then anyone or dominating people physically.

The Steeler fan in me hates to see AB leave. The AB dynasty owner in me thinks SF is an upgrade for him and should he find himself in SF he will easily be my #1WR next season. You got a coach who threw it 203 times to Julio one year and 182 times to Garcon another year. It's a match made in heaven but as of last week some SF beat writers I follow seemed to not think it was that likely to happen.
How can anywhere be an upgrade? He’s been the top FF WR for a while now. Upgrading from that is nearly impossible.

If I were the Steelers, I would talk to other teams directly and keep AB and his agent out of it.   AB is under contract and can be traded anywhere... he doesn't have to agree or like it.  Now, other teams might want to talk to them before finalizing a trade to gage ABs interest, but I would not give AB permission to seek a trade o  his own.
This is what I'm mainly talking about here but needs to be before it is finalized and team specific. Meaning he does not get permission to speak to anyone, he gets permission to maybe speak to SF as an example.

Dallas did something similar before they pulled trigger on trade for Amari. Jerry said he would not do it until he got assurances that Cooper was not going to immediately want to talk about his 2019 contract.

How can anywhere be an upgrade? He’s been the top FF WR for a while now. Upgrading from that is nearly impossible.
That rationale does not make sense to me. Just because someone might be #1 at a position does not mean they can't improve their per game production.

I'd also mention he was not quite #1 last season and right now in FFPC ADP is getting drafted as WR6. Of course he might be falling to WR6 because of the unknown, but I feel pretty confident that if he magically worked out with Pittsburgh and returned he is no longer the #1WR off the board in drafts.

I have several reasons, one touched on already, why I think a move to SF would seriously up his value to me in redraft but especially dynasty.

That rationale does not make sense to me. Just because someone might be #1 at a position does not mean they can't improve their per game production.

I'd also mention he was not quite #1 last season and right now in FFPC ADP is getting drafted as WR6. Of course he might be falling to WR6 because of the unknown, but I feel pretty confident that if he magically worked out with Pittsburgh and returned he is no longer the #1WR off the board in drafts.

I have several reasons, one touched on already, why I think a move to SF would seriously up his value to me in redraft but especially dynasty.
Ok. I disagree. 

So you must think he’s going to destroy the field at WR next year? Because that’s about the only thing that can happen if he’s upgraded.

Ok. I disagree. 

So you must think he’s going to destroy the field at WR next year? Because that’s about the only thing that can happen if he’s upgraded.
Don't know about destroying the field but 2 PPG can heavily alter a players rankings. Last year would taken him from like WR1 to WR6, from WR6 to WR11.

He's been two points better in his career. Don't think it's such a crazy thought to think he can't put out years like he had 2014 and 2015 and main reason those years he was better he was an 180+ target guy instead of a 160+ target guy.  I just don't see how you don't think that is possible to get back to that level.

Would you trade their 2019 or 2020 first for him? 
no. they can't afford to with the holes they have  :bag: Then again they have wasted countless 1st or 2nd round picks on WRs over the last decade (Gardner, Howard, Thomas, Doctson, Hankerson, Kelly, Westbrook, good lord its just awful) Yes, yes they can't draft a WR to save their lives so might as well trade for one.  And a pleasant reminder, they drafted Doctson over Michael Thomas.  :rant:

For what?  This year’s first?  Or this year’s second and next year’s first?
I'd be shocked if he pulled that much in a trade. 

The 49ers could use him but they're in good position with kittle, pettis and their backs and aren't quite ready to contend so it would be an ill advised rental. 

The 3 teams that would make ther most sense to me are the bears, packers and bills.  Honorable mention to the eagles. 

Obviously the packers would be best from a fantasy standpoint, but he'd also fix their biggest problem on offense and make them an immediate superbowl contender. 

The bears need a stud for mitch. I wouldn't normally suggest breaking the bank for a receiver in their situation, but his contract would coincide with the mitch rookie contract window, and mitch would learn so much from having him that it's an investment in their future, too. 

The bills went to the playoffs for the first time in ages last year, and they're looking to build around a franchise qb who has some similarity to ben. They badly need someone to take the pressure off zay, and an elite receiver with experience playing in cold weather would be a perfect fit.  

The eagles could definitely use him and would be right back in contention if they made a move for him, plus it would be a short trip for brown and his fans, but trading him in state feels unlikely to me. 

Miami is straight up tanking this year.  The jets would love to get a stud wr but they aren't close to contending and can't afford to teach robbie Anderson any more bad lessons.  The afc north is obviously off limits, the titans and jags could use him but aren't good passing teams, the Texans and colts are competitors, the Broncos are already in a receiver rebuild, the raiders are in a total rebuild, and the chiefs and chargers are off limits. 

In the nfc west the seahawks would be interesting but they're retooling, and the rams and cards... no.  The vikings don't need him, the lions need so many things, the Falcons already have Julio and Calvin, the bucs have their share of needs, and the saints would be awesome but doubtful.  If cam was healthy the Panthers would make sense but i'd be hesitant to invest heavily in a veteran if i were them.  The giants could use another diva on offense but no.  Washington is nowhere close. And the cowboys already sent a first for cooper and are about to hit some tough csp decisions.  

It's really down to those 3 or 4 teams imo. 

Don't know about destroying the field but 2 PPG can heavily alter a players rankings. Last year would taken him from like WR1 to WR6, from WR6 to WR11.

He's been two points better in his career. Don't think it's such a crazy thought to think he can't put out years like he had 2014 and 2015 and main reason those years he was better he was an 180+ target guy instead of a 160+ target guy.  I just don't see how you don't think that is possible to get back to that level.
Of course it’s possible. It’s just extremely unlikely. 

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Steelers aren't willing to trade Antonio Brown to the Patriots or inside the AFC North.

It makes plenty of sense, as the Patriots are obviously the biggest thing standing in the Steelers' way in the AFC, and the Browns, Bengals, and Ravens are in Pittsburgh's division. Brown formally requested a trade on Tuesday and seems certain to be dealt this offseason; it just won't be to New England, though the Patriots are one of the more needy teams when it comes to wideouts.

RELATED:  

Cincinnati Bengals

, Cleveland Browns

, New England Patriots

, Baltimore Ravens

SOURCE: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Feb 12, 2019, 6:07 PM

yea I would bet strongly against an improvement.  Ben is a really good qb and they have years and years of chemistry working on their side.  

I haven’t read this whole thread regarding a trade but my understanding is no way he’s commanding a high pick due to the contract the new team inherits. I heard Pitt may deal him for as low as a 6th. Admittedly that was radio chatter but still the understanding is his contract is onerous unless he reworks it?

due to the contract the new team inherits.
The contract for the new team would be extremely friendly.  The Steelers would have to eat a bunch of dead money on their cap, but the new team gets AB for ~12M per year IIRC with no guaranteed money.  The 12M salary range for AB is a bargain and the no guaranteed money means he could be cut by the new team with no cap hit (if AB continues being a diva).

The contract for the new team would be extremely friendly.  The Steelers would have to eat a bunch of dead money on their cap, but the new team gets AB for ~12M per year IIRC with no guaranteed money.  The 12M salary range for AB is a bargain and the no guaranteed money means he could be cut by the new team with no cap hit (if AB continues being a diva).
Cool. That clarifies a lot. Thanks!

kittenmittens said:
I would say it's so the team can actually meet your trade demand.  You usually can't have it both ways - it's cutting off your nose to spite your face.  Do you want what's good for you, or what's bad for the team? 

Would Pittsburgh trade AB for a 1st and eat the dead cap?  Probably. 

Will they trade him for a 4th and eat the dead cap?  Probably not. 
They are either eating his dead cap or eating his salary for a clubhouse cancer.  Trading him has next to no impact on their end cap result aside from having to pay a new WR.  Their far bigger decision is if they are willing to lose the production on the field.

Yep. There is value there too. And the cap hit to the Steelers is the same whether they trade him or deactivate him all year. So they should hold out for a first this year or a second this year and a first next year imo. 

Why would the Steelers trade him? Unless somebody seriously overpays - mid/high 1st rounder, or star defensive player... otherwise why would they move him?

Brown tweets a farewell like it's a done deal just because he requested it, but doesn't this decision sit entirely with Steelers org?

Why would the Steelers trade him? Unless somebody seriously overpays - mid/high 1st rounder, or star defensive player... otherwise why would they move him?

Brown tweets a farewell like it's a done deal just because he requested it, but doesn't this decision sit entirely with Steelers org?
Yes it's entirely Steelers decision. That's what this brain dead idiot Brown doesn't seem to understand. He really might be the dumbest individual in the league.

Of course it's the Steeler's decision but players #####ing and moaning their way out of town is a not novel concept. Does not always work, but it will this time because the Steeler's are tired of the drama and distractions they've endured last few years.

They are either eating his dead cap or eating his salary for a clubhouse cancer.  Trading him has next to no impact on their end cap result aside from having to pay a new WR.  Their far bigger decision is if they are willing to lose the production on the field.
Right, so it's not going to be worth losing the on field production of they don't get a pretty good return.

Yes it's entirely Steelers decision. That's what this brain dead idiot Brown doesn't seem to understand. He really might be the dumbest individual in the league.
You have a habit of throwing personal insults at football players I am assuming you don't know personally.

Why?

Also, I believe you just contradicted yourself.  If I recall correctly, you claimed Bell was the dumbest brain dead idiot in the league. :coffee:

You have a habit of throwing personal insults at football players I am assuming you don't know personally.

Why?

Also, I believe you just contradicted yourself.  If I recall correctly, you claimed Bell was the dumbest brain dead idiot in the league. :coffee:
Sorry,  I didnt realize you were friends with them. Anyway it's a close race between 1 & 2, but I think Brown surpassed bell as the biggest idiot. Cant wait to see what awful qb/team he gets to be with. Then you'll really see him pout.

Sorry,  I didnt realize you were friends with them. Anyway it's a close race between 1 & 2, but I think Brown surpassed bell as the biggest idiot. Cant wait to see what awful qb/team he gets to be with. Then you'll really see him pout.
Can you be an idiot if your brain is dead though?

If it is a 2019 draft pick I see them getting a high to mid range 3rd.  If it is 2020 then I see them getting a 2nd.  I can't see him fetching more than that, and that seems like best case scenario at this point.

We know that there is some off the field risk, but he has consistently been the top performing WR for the past 5 years with no signs of slowing down physically.  His salary cap hit to his new team will be in the $12M range next year.  If I'm one of the teams who has a hard time attracting top talent via free agency, I offer a high second and don't think twice about it.

All it takes is one and people seem to forget that the NFL draft is far from an exact science.  You know what you are going to get with Antonio Brown(good and bad).

Im not sure if Brown or the Steelers ends up looking worse at the end of all this. Probably the Steelers given its their second star that is publicly demanding a ticket out of town.

I heard an interesting story on ESPN radio this morning- said a former star player (unnamed) told the reporter he was offered a coaching job with the Steelers. When he asked about players skipping practices etc, Tomlin gave him the 'as long as they produce' line. The guy said thanks for the opportunity but no thanks.

That franchise is a dumpster fire.

We know that there is some off the field risk, but he has consistently been the top performing WR for the past 5 years with no signs of slowing down physically.  His salary cap hit to his new team will be in the $12M range next year.  If I'm one of the teams who has a hard time attracting top talent via free agency, I offer a high second and don't think twice about it.

All it takes is one and people seem to forget that the NFL draft is far from an exact science.  You know what you are going to get with Antonio Brown(good and bad).
The problem with that is unless you are willing to renegotiate his contract immediately, the Steelers headache just became your headache.

When you consider what a crapshoot 2nd and 3rd rounders are this makes sense. Especially for a somewhat lesser team trying to move up and become relevant. A top team might not want the distraction.

Im not sure if Brown or the Steelers ends up looking worse at the end of all this. Probably the Steelers given its their second star that is publicly demanding a ticket out of town.

I heard an interesting story on ESPN radio this morning- said a former star player (unnamed) told the reporter he was offered a coaching job with the Steelers. When he asked about players skipping practices etc, Tomlin gave him the 'as long as they produce' line. The guy said thanks for the opportunity but no thanks.

That franchise is a dumpster fire.
And what will Brown do when his new coach actually makes him show up to practice on time, no special training camp housing, etc. Sh@@ show waiting to happen for whoever trades for him. IF anyone bothers that is.

99% chance AB’s new team will have to sweeten the pot on his 12M salary. That is why the Steelers will get a third, at best. 

Users who are viewing this thread