What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (11 Viewers)

The Raiders could have just sent hi the 5-day letter and if he didn't report he's gone from all teams for the year though.  But they didn't do that.

-QG
I actually AB could still be suspended under the player policy the nfl has...i hope they suspend him for the year

Fun fact: Since Gruden took over in Oakland, he's traded two 3rd rounders and a 5th rounder for Antonio Brown and Martavis Bryant, neither of which are on the team. As much as New England is a big winner getting Brown for nothing, Pittsburgh has been taking advantage of him too.
Building upon the legacy of Hue Jackson's personnel management in Oakland.

-QG

@RapSheet

Can new #Patriots WR Antonio Brown be on the sidelines tomorrow? No. “He’s not officially a member of the team so he is not allowed to be with or around the team,” per a league spokesman.

There is an old saying.  Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me twice, shame on me.  Fool me more than twice, and you must be foolish.  

AB has had 2 stops already.  He clearly has issues.  Prima donna ain't gonna fly in NE.  If he pulls any of that in NE he will be on the bench in a week.  And NE (since they paid him a signing bonus) will let him sit on the bench or will let him explode and cut him.   

Also, he's a guy that wants to win. Notice his worst outbursts came with a team that is going to be doing a lot of losing this year (even with him). He's going to excel in NE.
Which makes him a loser. 

Because instead of sportsmanship, helping his new team win & earning the $$$ they were paying him, he pouted & became a problem child to the degree that they finally washed their hands of him.

Thats a super awful legacy. 

I had no feelings about AB personally before he pulled these shenanigans,  but now I think he’s a 1st class d-bag. 

It’s the antithesis of a team player, in that he selfishly put his own interests ahead of everyone on the Raiders.

and maybe the Raiders are a ####show of a team & maybe Gruden isn’t a great coach. So what? He shouldn’t have signed a contract with them then. 

This entire display makes me sick to my stomach, and sets a very ugly precedent. 

The nfl is sick...people idolizing and celebrating a bunch of money hungry idiots

This is such a weird viewpoint to have. You realize the vast, vast majority of NFL players are generally good dudes who work harder than most people, but happen to do a job that there is an expensive market for, while contributing a lot to their communities, right? 

Most of what you dislike about the NFL should probably be laid at the feet of the billionaire owners who can never have enough. Strangely the same group of billionaires who were around when you still liked the league, though. Sounds like you just need to take a step back from internalizing the sensationalist reporting on the few bad eggs across the league, because that's what sports media has turned into in the last 10-15 years.

Pretty brilliant to start that act while still in Pittsburgh last year. And to then act super excited to be in Oakland talking about how much he was going to prove the doubters/haters wrong. 

I absolutely hate this as a Bills fan. But I think anyone that is just assuming that this will be a match made in heaven is putting their head in the sand a bit.

Brown forced his way out of Pittsburgh despite Tomlin being a very player friendly coach and playing in an offense that threw the ball a million times a game with a QB that practically forcefed it to his favorite receiver often. And where he was allowed to be all about himself as much as he wanted (and sulked and pouted when teammates got the ball or were praised instead of him).

But Brown nixed a trade to the Bills and ended up signing a huge deal with the Raiders and Jon Gruden (another very player friendly coach). Everyone assumed Brown would go out and tear it up to show up the Steelers. But then Brown managed to get frostbite on his feet and tusseled with the NFL; leaving the Raiders and threatening to retire over his helmet. It turned into all sorts of ridiculousness and suddenly it boiled over this week.

So now he signs another nice big one year deal and everyone assumes that everything will be great and AB will certainly be on his best behavior to show up the Raiders and Steelers THIS time despite the Patriots having a very no non-sense coach and a team that doesn't give a crap about personal success. 

AB is still the guy that went crazy and threw furniture off a 14th story balcony. He's still the guy that pouted when JuJu would catch a TD instead of him. He's still the guy that was posting all sorts of crazy social media stuff right before or after games and who was playing on his phone during team meetings. He's still the guy that got into bizarre spats with his own team's organization on social media. He's still the guy that went into a cryo chamber in his bare feet and got frostbite. He's still the guy that flipped out and threatened to retire over a helmet.

Yeah, the Patriots have had some success in reclamation projects, but if AB really truly has the personality/mental issues that he has seemed to have over the last 2 years, it's just as likely that he creates way more headaches and problems in NE than he does production on the field 
I can't tell if this reaction is linked to the fact he wouldn't go to your bills but, just to clarify, I said I think he acted out to get out of Oakland, I didn't say anything about him starting this in Pittsburgh.   Those issues were whatever they were and my gut says when he was traded and got big money he WAS feeling good for a minute....until he landed in Oakland and found out it was going to be a bad team and then at some point saw the reality he could get to a contender.  

The Raiders made a mistake releasing him.

It's surprising because Gruden dealt with Keyshaun Johnson in Tampa Bay by keeping him on the roster and sending him to the house.

I suppose if they had done that here, Marc Davis would have had to part with 29 million dollars so they cut him loose.

Pats have Edelman, Gordon, Dorsett, Thomas, Myers, Slater, and Olszewski with Harry on IR.

Sending Oslzewski to the practice squad isn't much of a roster hurdle to overcome...and they will probably cut Dorsett when and if Harry comes back from IR assuming DT demonstrates he's better than Dorsett by then (which seems like a foregone conclusion).

This deal with NE has the feel of a shady deal.  The league should probably investigate possible collusion.  This stinks to high heaven. 
So wait, is the AB meltdown a product of liberal snowflake democrats brainwashing him into being a baby, or is it a product of clear collusion bc his behavior doesn't make sense?

Can't keep your various theories straight myself, but you can't have it both ways. 

I have no love lost for the Raiders as a Bronco fan, but I feel this type of situation needs to be addressed by the NFL. The Raiders did the "right thing" here and in the end, they pay for it by one of their division opponents benefiting from it. There is no way a player, who is under contract, should be allowed to act out to the point he is released and then benefit from it. AB threatened physical harm to the GM--don't forget that. He then embarrassed his coach on social media. There is no way that should be rewarded. I don't think he should be get the perma-ban from the NFL, but there needs to be some kind of 6-8 game suspension period initiated by the league for players who are released because of their conduct. 

What stops any other player in the league from doing this? Hmm, my team is struggling this year and I want a title--I will go punch my coach, get my contact voided and then get signed by a contender. This is a dangerous path to go down if the NFL doesn't address this. 
I agree with your thought but then we have to ask why didn't the raiders as a team suspend him?  They could have done exactly what you suggest but they didn't.  I agree, I think they made the right decision and rid themselves of the mess but they could have set the tone and didn't and it looks like they just washed their hands of it at some point.

AB's conduct over the last ~9 months makes it hard for me to see him keeping his nose clean for the any length of time.  His me-first attitude, penchant for posting crazy rants about his employer on social media, and constantly being late for meetings, practice, etc. seems like a bad fit in NE.  I mean, either AB has to completely change his stripes and act like an NFL player (showing up for meetings and paying attention, etc.) or NE has to give him preferential treatment.  Both seem unlikely at this point, but I would be surprised if NE allows his antics.  

I can't tell if this reaction is linked to the fact he wouldn't go to your bills but, just to clarify, I said I think he acted out to get out of Oakland, I didn't say anything about him starting this in Pittsburgh.   Those issues were whatever they were and my gut says when he was traded and got big money he WAS feeling good for a minute....until he landed in Oakland and found out it was going to be a bad team and then at some point saw the reality he could get to a contender.  
You think that he flew into training camp in a hot air balloon, got frostbite on his feet, flipped out about the helmet, and sacrificed $30M in guaranteed money because he didn't think that Carr was a good QB?

And he threw furniture off a 14th floor balcony and got up to all those antics for over a year in Pittsburgh because he just wanted out of there?

Does that really seem like the most likely explanation for what has gone on over the last couple of years?

What on earth are you talking about? It’s a little early to be this far into the bottle GB :lol:  
Yeah, really funny implying I need to be drunk to bring a former disgusting murder, cover-up, and organizational malfeasance into another discussion about the Patriots hiring someone who was recently accused of assault and battery and just threatened his GM and used racial epithets.

But, hey, he'll be able to play.

Yeah, right. 

I agree with your thought but then we have to ask why didn't the raiders as a team suspend him?  They could have done exactly what you suggest but they didn't.  I agree, I think they made the right decision and rid themselves of the mess but they could have set the tone and didn't and it looks like they just washed their hands of it at some point.
I agree the Raiders did everything right from a players perspective.  And from a cap point of view. 

I am still not sure whether AB makes it through 2 weeks under BB to the first game he can play in.  This aint no game in NE.

Sure, he may suddenly sober up and start acting normally and rationally. Suddenly become a good team mate.  Not a distraction.  ... Or, he is going to continue to act the way he has been acting for years, both while he was in NE and Oakland, and proceed to get himself benched or sent packing on his spiral down. 

IMO NE is his last stop.  One way or the other.  Good or bad.  AB just doesn't realize it yet.  

Other than when the new board was started (I'm going to get some facts slightly off; cut me some slack) and there was a thread where everyone essentially signed up, this thread has had more activity in it in one day than I can every remember.

@RapSheet

Can new #Patriots WR Antonio Brown be on the sidelines tomorrow? No. “He’s not officially a member of the team so he is not allowed to be with or around the team,” per a league spokesman.
So how do other celebrities, former players, etc. end up on sidelines so often?

I have no love lost for the Raiders as a Bronco fan, but I feel this type of situation needs to be addressed by the NFL. The Raiders did the "right thing" here and in the end, they pay for it by one of their division opponents benefiting from it. There is no way a player, who is under contract, should be allowed to act out to the point he is released and then benefit from it. AB threatened physical harm to the GM--don't forget that. He then embarrassed his coach on social media. There is no way that should be rewarded. I don't think he should be get the perma-ban from the NFL, but there needs to be some kind of 6-8 game suspension period initiated by the league for players who are released because of their conduct. 

What stops any other player in the league from doing this? Hmm, my team is struggling this year and I want a title--I will go punch my coach, get my contact voided and then get signed by a contender. This is a dangerous path to go down if the NFL doesn't address this. 
The Raiders had the option of suspending Brown without pay for 4 weeks, but they chose not to do it. They also could have continued to fine him until he fell in line -- or else they could have suspended him (without pay) again.

AB inferred with his recent comments that he wants out of the “system” to be “free.”  Then he goes to a team that not only embodies it, but is run by and overpopulated with the very demographic he apparently hates.

Total hypocrite.

Last edited by a moderator:
You think that he flew into training camp in a hot air balloon, got frostbite on his feet, flipped out about the helmet, and sacrificed $30M in guaranteed money because he didn't think that Carr was a good QB?

And he threw furniture off a 14th floor balcony and got up to all those antics for over a year in Pittsburgh because he just wanted out of there?

Does that really seem like the most likely explanation for what has gone on over the last couple of years?
Why don't we just give it this season and see?  I can't begin to say I know the mental thoughts in people's heads enough to say for certain but I do think in simple terms he got on the outside in Pittsburgh, he wanted out, he got out but didn't like the landing spot.  He and his agent knew the Patriots tried to trade for him so it's not crazy to think that at some point he said "okay, drew, get me the money and I'll scheme a way to get out of here". I don't know.  

But IF he goes to the Patriots and is a good citizen, then I'd say that says a lot that he orchestrated this to a degree until he got what he wanted.  That is all.

Users who are viewing this thread