What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (8 Viewers)

I think you'd have a really hard time in court with that argument, counselor.

If those videos made it in front of a jury, her case is on VERY shaky ground. 
I don't believe that's the case, especially if they were done before the alleged assaults.  But one never knows with a jury

I stand by my HOT TAKE: AB never plays a game for the Pats

the  circus has come to Foxsborough

SELLL!

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely understand this isn't a criminal case (currently).  I'm asking if it were, would she have any say in his punishment?
Sort of.  She'd be allowed to address the court if she wished during sentencing, and certainly to speak to the prosecutor and police about what she wanted out of the situation.

I found the interview with Rosenhaus a bit much. “Antonio takes these allegations very seriously. He is the loving father of five children, including a daughter. I myself am a father, I have two children — two daughters — that I love very much, along with my wife. I wouldn’t be doing this interview if I didn’t believe Antonio.”

So . . . Rosenhaus being married and having two daughters . . . that he loves very much . . . has what to do with this case?
nothing. same way the affidavit bringing up that she loves jesus like 15 times does.  They are just painting a picture more or less

I found the interview with Rosenhaus a bit much. “Antonio takes these allegations very seriously. He is the loving father of five children, including a daughter. I myself am a father, I have two children — two daughters — that I love very much, along with my wife. I wouldn’t be doing this interview if I didn’t believe Antonio.”

So . . . Rosenhaus being married and having two daughters . . . that he loves very much . . . has what to do with this case?
It means if he had any inkling he is guilty of these allegations.....he would be disgusted about it and drop him as a client right there and then. He has 3 woman in his life that mean everything to him. 

Rape of a woman is a serious matter. 

That is what that statement meant. 

It means if he had any inkling he is guilty of these allegations.....he would be disgusted about it and drop him as a client right there and then. He has 3 woman in his life that mean everything to him. 

I wish people would stop the "I have women I love" defense on this subject.

Also, I'd have felt better about Drew Rosenhaus playing this card before this incident with his wife.

I know I already replied to this but I think it's gross how the president and a Supreme Court Justice are held to a higher standard then a man who plays a sport for a living.  Don't those damn liberals have any respect?
the assaulted woman probably doesn't think there is a difference 

Bump Phillip Dorsett?
Sure. From WR 75 to WR 60. Without Brown, Dorsett comes after Edelman, White, and Gordon in the pecking order. He would be 5th in line with AB there. Dorsett would probably see 3-5 targets a game. Once in a blue moon that will get him 4-95-2 like he had against the Steelers. Mnay weeks that will turn into 3-18-0. After Edelman served his suspension last year, Dorsett had 5 targets only once in the regular season (when Gordon was suspended). See the trend? He needs for other guys to be out to carve out a role.

Actually, she probably would. Victim statements are a pretty common thing at sentencing hearings. Ultimately, sentencing is still in the hands of the Judge, but she does "have a say" that may influence the court.
she can make a statement but has no say in the decision 

Bill Cosby has 3 daughters 

Lots of rapists have women in their lives 

Not at all..you misunderstood my intent... tried to keep it short and I neglected to include other points....  I was simply indicating her goal of financial threat will be hampered....  but his abuse/inappropriate behavior should be punished, if found guilty.  No person, Male or Female, or gender neutral or trans should be permitted to violate another person or their rights without consent.  The implication of them having a more than professional relationship might negate some of his behavior as "personal kinks" they shared (likely consent in the past).  If she is now saying otherwise, she might have an uphill battle.  However, it is up to the court system and NFL investigation to determine his future.  Not mine.  And past consent does not indicate current consent.  
If that’s what you meant, then OK, but it’s hard to get that from this:  “Any evidence of a "Past relationship" will be her downfall;” which was the original post I replied to.

If that’s what you meant, then OK, but it’s hard to get that from this:  “Any evidence of a "Past relationship" will be her downfall;” which was the original post I replied to.
Being in a relationship does not grant consent and having received consent once does not grant it in every other instance. That being said a lawyer will try to undermine her character and her intent in the way you have outlined, but the legal test is consent and past consent or a relationship does not automatically imply it was granted in the instance in question.

I don’t know if he did it or not but I don’t think you ruin a man or not let him work over an accusation even one like AB. 

Thread velocity is impressive.

Fwiw, my ebonics filter translated the references to materials being deposited on someone's back as indignant, as in "I am shocked you are attempting to make these claims when we consentually engaged in intimate acts and you stayed in my bed".

Having dropped that perspective bomb, I'm out until more info is available.  Please continue.

I don’t know if he did it or not but I don’t think you ruin a man or not let him work over an accusation even one like AB. 
The commissioner exempt list allows him to get paid while he’s on it, so that’s not an issue & if it turns out he is cleared, he will not be ruined.

Not saying you are right or wrong, but isn't the climate and landscape a lot rockier these days then 2010?
NFL has only gotten bigger and they're even better at protecting their assets now.  Minus a Ray-Rice-like video (replace fists with...you know) they'll do some show-pony internal investigation and issue a statement where they will "fully cooperate" with law enforcement agencies while this thing disappears.

NFL has only gotten bigger and they're even better at protecting their assets now.  Minus a Ray-Rice-like video (replace fists with...you know) they'll do some show-pony internal investigation and issue a statement where they will "fully cooperate" with law enforcement agencies while this thing disappears.
you really don't pay attention to the social landscape in 2019, do you?

rape is hot topic #1. it's a no-eff around zone. 

I'm not sure I agree with this.  Winslow, Jr. was convicted and it wasn't exactly huge news.  Gotsis was arrested last year and he's still a Bronco.  Nobody's talking about Joseph Randle.  Jameis Winston is a terrible QB and an accused sexual predator and is still playing QB.  

I still don't think rape accusations are a career killer.  You end up in prison, sure, but otherwise it's still business as usual I think.  I hope I'm wrong.

I'm not sure I agree with this.  Winslow, Jr. was convicted and it wasn't exactly huge news.  Gotsis was arrested last year and he's still a Bronco.  Nobody's talking about Joseph Randle.  Jameis Winston is a terrible QB and an accused sexual predator and is still playing QB.  

I still don't think rape accusations are a career killer.  You end up in prison, sure, but otherwise it's still business as usual I think.  I hope I'm wrong.
anything since the hollywood meltdown / metoo movement is handled with extreeeeeeeeme caution.

Don't get me wrong, the NFL won't sink it's ship with AB if there's tangible proof he raped someone.  If it's a lot of he said she said, they'll play the concerned card but the big wheels will keep on turning.  Just get used to hearing things like "due process" and "investigation" and "cooperation with law enforcement" because those 'we aint punishing anyone but we wanna sound concerned' buzz words will get spoken a lot with this situation.

I'm also not saying that they don't take these accusations seriously, especially with their continued efforts to sell merchandise to women.  It's a money base they don't want to alienate.

Rape wasn't OK back in 2010 either.  Ben didn't get a "Boys will be boys" endorsement from the NFL.  The league just waited it out and it went away.  

Where 2019 comes into play is if tangible proof comes out that AB raped someone, the league will make him an example and go overboard with his punishment.

The commissioner exempt list allows him to get paid while he’s on it, so that’s not an issue & if it turns out he is cleared, he will not be ruined.
Getting paid is different than doing your job. Look AB sounds like a bad dude but an accusation should not ruin someone. His teammates rely on his playing.   I just wouldn’t want me or my son destroyed over an accusation. 

Getting paid is different than doing your job. Look AB sounds like a bad dude but an accusation should not ruin someone. His teammates rely on his playing.   I just wouldn’t want me or my son destroyed over an accusation. 
If he didn’t do it, how would he be destroyed by being placed on the exempt list?  He’d still get paid (which is why people have jobs), and he’d be able to continue to work after he was cleared & removed from the list?  Please explain how he’d be ruined or destroyed by being placed on the exempt list?

The case could take 2-3 years to play out in court. So you would just leave Brown on the exempt list? There are a ton of issues with this. Even though the intent is for him to get paid while he waits out his case, if he got placed on the list now NE could easily release him having not paid him a dime. So then he would be on the exempt list with no pay. The case goes 2-3 years in the court system. So Brown can't earn a paycheck that entire time? He only has a one year deal with the Patriots. Let's say he is on the exempt list the entire season. NE would have to pay him the entirety of his contract and never once get to play him and he would become a free agent?

anything since the hollywood meltdown / metoo movement is handled with extreeeeeeeeme caution.
Is it? Not sure that's the case as much as it was, say, a year or so ago.

Wait, people believe agents when they say stuff like this?    :doh:
From an agent who threw trash bags at his wife and told her to pack up and leave while his brother called her a [redacted word for woman of ill reput that starts with "w"] no less.

The case could take 2-3 years to play out in court. So you would just leave Brown on the exempt list? There are a ton of issues with this. Even though the intent is for him to get paid while he waits out his case, if he got placed on the list now NE could easily release him having not paid him a dime. So then he would be on the exempt list with no pay. The case goes 2-3 years in the court system. So Brown can't earn a paycheck that entire time? He only has a one year deal with the Patriots. Let's say he is on the exempt list the entire season. NE would have to pay him the entirety of his contract and never once get to play him and he would become a free agent?
His contract, as I understand it, pays him half a million per game played and the rest is incentives.   If he doesn't play, he doesn't get paid and he won't reach any incentives.  So yes, NE would have to honor his contract, to the extent that it obligates them to anything.   But as a practical matter they won't have to pay him anything other than what they agreed upon as a signing bonus.

He would become a free agent in 2020.

His contract, as I understand it, pays him half a million per game and the rest is incentives.   If he doesn't play, he doesn't get paid and he won't reach any incentives.  So yes, NE would have to honor his contract, to the extent that it obligates them to anything.   But as a practical matter they won't have to pay him anything other than what they agreed upon as a signing bonus.

He would become a free agent in 2020.
According to Spotrac, this is what they have listed for Brown's contract . . .

Antonio Brown signed a 1 year, $10,500,000 contract with the New England Patriots, including a $9,000,000 signing bonus, $10,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $10,500,000. In 2019, Brown will earn a base salary of $1,000,000, a signing bonus of $9,000,000 and a roster bonus of $468,750, while carrying a cap hit of $5,968,750 and a dead cap value of $10,000,000.

I believe that close to half a million dollars you mentioned is not per game . . . it's over the course of the season.

I know I saw this last night but can't find it anymore.....someone said ex GM now working for espn (tannenbaum?) said that you can't get suspended or put on exempt list due to civil litigation.  Which makes sense otherwise someone could sue Brady right before the playoffs every year.  Anyone can sue anyone for at least $20 for anything and make any accusations they want.  It's our 7th amendment right.  It doesn't mean you will win money and it doesn't mean you won't get sued for your suit.  I'm not saying this lady is lying, I'm just saying it makes sense that the NFL wouldn't exempt him for getting sued.  Now if she had gone to the police and there was a criminal investigation underway or he was arrested or charged that would be totally different.

I know I saw this last night but can't find it anymore.....someone said ex GM now working for espn (tannenbaum?) said that you can't get suspended or put on exempt list due to civil litigation.  Which makes sense otherwise someone could sue Brady right before the playoffs every year.  Anyone can sue anyone for at least $20 for anything and make any accusations they want.  It's our 7th amendment right.  It doesn't mean you will win money and it doesn't mean you won't get sued for your suit.  I'm not saying this lady is lying, I'm just saying it makes sense that the NFL wouldn't exempt him for getting sued.  Now if she had gone to the police and there was a criminal investigation underway or he was arrested or charged that would be totally different.
I would have to disagree with that claim.  We have seen several instances of players being suspended or put on the Commissioner's Exempt List despite no criminal charges being filed, including Zeke and Kareem Hunt.  The League does not need there to be criminal charges to mete out discipline.  Moreover, the Exempt List is not necessarily discipline, since the player is still being paid, but it allows time for the NFL to investigate accusations.  This is an accusation.  That said, it seems to me to be a fairly flimsy accusation.

This guy should go ahead and get released by the Patriots and do us all a favor and get out of the fantasy news.

Its clogging up our front page here FFS.     :lol:

Antonio Brown -  "I'm more than just a football player man. I'm a real person......... this is my life, ain't no more games."

Dude doesn't know just how close he is to the truth of "ain't no more games". Maybe he should have said "Ain't no more NFL games".

TZM

This guy should go ahead and get released by the Patriots and do us all a favor and get out of the fantasy news.

Its clogging up our front page here FFS.     :lol:

Antonio Brown -  "I'm more than just a football player man. I'm a real person......... this is my life, ain't no more games."

Dude doesn't know just how close he is to the truth of "ain't no more games". Maybe he should have said "Ain't no more NFL games".

TZM
Or he has his sights set on Josh Johnson’s record of being affiliated with 12 NFL teams and counting.

Three down, 9 to go!

Users who are viewing this thread