What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (7 Viewers)

Oh, I see. You’re asking me if I think accusations should be a career killer. 

Again, I think all things should depend on the facts of the case.  And yes, false accusations would be quite damaging.  One would hope the truth would win out. 

I would have to disagree with that claim.  We have seen several instances of players being suspended or put on the Commissioner's Exempt List despite no criminal charges being filed, including Zeke and Kareem Hunt.  The League does not need there to be criminal charges to mete out discipline.  Moreover, the Exempt List is not necessarily discipline, since the player is still being paid, but it allows time for the NFL to investigate accusations.  This is an accusation.  That said, it seems to me to be a fairly flimsy accusation.
Not until video surfaced.  Same with Ray Rice.

I don’t think I understand your first sentence, and the second is therefore even weirder than if I did, I bet. 
I believe he is asserting that “allegations of rape” should not be career-ending events for people, and the silly accusation towards you is a ploy to increase the likelihood you agree with him, or set up his next “what if it happened to you” point.

I believe he is asserting that “allegations of rape” should not be career-ending events for people, and the silly accusation towards you is a ploy to increase the likelihood you agree with him, or set up his next “what if it happened to you” point.
Yeah, it’s a constant refrain in these discussions.  Strangely, seems to have more punch with people than “do you think murder accusations should be a career killer” or “do you think embezzlement accusations should be a career killer.”  Despite the fact that false accusation percentages of both appear to be higher. 

Yeah, if you are credibly falsely accused of a crime that can really mess up your career.  Well, unless it’s rape, then we wait and see.  

Which, in opposition to @HellToupee, is why I think Brown probably plays for the Pats unless stronger evidence gets to the NFL, at least until the investigation is complete. 

Not until video surfaced.  Same with Ray Rice.
I am not suggesting the Commissioner's Office will necessarily take any action toward AB.  I am merely pointing out that the mere fact that this is a Civil accusation as opposed to criminal charges does not prohibit the League from taking action.  Roger Goodell has great discretion in these matters.

Thread velocity is impressive.

Fwiw, my ebonics filter translated the references to materials being deposited on someone's back as indignant, as in "I am shocked you are attempting to make these claims when we consentually engaged in intimate acts and you stayed in my bed".

Having dropped that perspective bomb, I'm out until more info is available.  Please continue.
Me thinks you need to update that filter...  I believe he is attempting to repeat her allegations  "jack on your back"  and of course  "slept in your bed"   AS is to say I'm a Football Super Star   Don't nobody wanna listen to any of that

Surprised you were able to fire this off w/o any response...  <<  I mean that somewhat whimsically 

On an unrelated note, I can't seem to find a few tweets by a specific person    Searched long enough to make me believe they have been deleted    Looked legit   But who knows   

Yeah, it’s a constant refrain in these discussions.  Strangely, seems to have more punch with people than “do you think murder accusations should be a career killer” or “do you think embezzlement accusations should be a career killer.”  Despite the fact that false accusation percentages of both appear to be higher. 

Yeah, if you are credibly falsely accused of a crime that can really mess up your career.  Well, unless it’s rape, then we wait and see.  

Which, in opposition to @HellToupee, is why I think Brown probably plays for the Pats unless stronger evidence gets to the NFL, at least until the investigation is complete. 
Well, I for one would not want to lose my job, my livelihood and my reputation while fighting any false accusations, felony or otherwise.  So I have some reservations about a system that would automatically take jobs from people for accusations before investigation, hearing, etc.  

At the same time, as someone who works with children, I don’t want a system that lets potentially dangerous predators near them while accusations are resolved.

Does our legal system offer sufficient recourse that a false accusation can be anything but disasterous to a person’s future and financial wellbeing?  Genuinely asking because I don’t know.  (Also I realize this is entirely tangential to Antonio Brown, so maybe this wuery should move to the FFA if the answer is less than simple.)

I don’t think I understand your first sentence, and the second is therefore even weirder than if I did, I bet. 
You said you don’t think rape accusations are a a career killer, but you hope you’re wrong. Seems like a weird stance to hope anyone who is accused of something like this receive a career death sentence, outcome of case notwithstanding (apparently, I’m extrapolating).

Did I misunderstand?

ps: I ####### hate the guy

Speaking of defamation of character in so many words   Anyone have any hard feelings about AB lawyer's intent on entertaining of a countersuit?   Again the picture painted appears quite bleak   Words that AB understands why such an act is happening   Is this like Ben were shes gravely mistaken about a friendship?   Its hard for me to put to words because some stuff is yet to really be known as factually  Doesn't it seem harsh to want to punish this woman IF her lawsuit is a failure  Yes/ No

Speaking of defamation of character in so many words   Anyone have any hard feelings about AB lawyer's intent on entertaining of a countersuit?   Again the picture painted appears quite bleak   Words that AB understands why such an act is happening   Is this like Ben were shes gravely mistaken about a friendship?   Its hard for me to put to words because some stuff is yet to really be known as factually  Doesn't it seem harsh to want to punish this woman IF her lawsuit is a failure  Yes/ No
Allegedly once he had performed on her back  She ended the working relationship and possibly any ties  @  the year 2017 which is also when the woman allegedly initially inquired about AB making a large investment    What if such is the case are we to believe...    AB wants us to believe she dropped him because of no investment?   Seems kinda odd to wanna be friendly after you believe you found a gold-digger of sorts

Well, I for one would not want to lose my job, my livelihood and my reputation while fighting any false accusations, felony or otherwise.  So I have some reservations about a system that would automatically take jobs from people for accusations before investigation, hearing, etc.  

At the same time, as someone who works with children, I don’t want a system that lets potentially dangerous predators near them while accusations are resolved.

Does our legal system offer sufficient recourse that a false accusation can be anything but disasterous to a person’s future and financial wellbeing?  Genuinely asking because I don’t know.  (Also I realize this is entirely tangential to Antonio Brown, so maybe this wuery should move to the FFA if the answer is less than simple.)
Sort of.  But not really.  Like, he could sue her for defamation and win $100 million, but he’ll never get it. 

You said you don’t think rape accusations are a a career killer, but you hope you’re wrong. Seems like a weird stance to hope anyone who is accused of something like this receive a career death sentence, outcome of case notwithstanding (apparently, I’m extrapolating).

Did I misunderstand?

ps: I ####### hate the guy
I think if I were a woman who went to HR and told them that a guy in my office raped me, it would be a better idea to remove that person from the office than to not while investigating.  And I think in that situation if it’s as likely that it did happen as didn’t - a truly credible accusation - that person should be let go. And public figures also should be back burnered for the same.

I don’t think the person should never be able to earn a living again, but I do think that being let go for credible rape accusations would be very bad for any career.  I also think it’s kind of the price for these things being taken seriously if they’re found to be credible. 

It’s a tough situation and fact dependent, for sure. 

Ian Rappoport says AB being placed on the Commish's Exempt List is a very strpng possibility, although unprecedented for a civil lawsuit. 

I think if I were a woman who went to HR and told them that a guy in my office raped me, it would be a better idea to remove that person from the office than to not while investigating.  And I think in that situation if it’s as likely that it did happen as didn’t - a truly credible accusation - that person should be let go. And public figures also should be back burnered for the same.

I don’t think the person should never be able to earn a living again, but I do think that being let go for credible rape accusations would be very bad for any career.  I also think it’s kind of the price for these things being taken seriously if they’re found to be credible. 

It’s a tough situation and fact dependent, for sure. 
I completely disagree with this.  You can't prove you didn't do something a year ago. 

If it's as likely that you did as you didn't do it--you should be fired.  So basically any rape accusation that sounds believable should get someone fired. 

The country's justice system was founded on the idea of innocent until proven guilty.  But when it comes to your job, we should just can people for accusations.  What's to stop someone at your work from accusing you? 

Oh and congrats to the guys that took Martavis Bryant having a more successful Raider career than Antonio Brown in the off-season pool

I completely disagree with this.  You can't prove you didn't do something a year ago. 

If it's as likely that you did as you didn't do it--you should be fired.  So basically any rape accusation that sounds believable should get someone fired. 

The country's justice system was founded on the idea of innocent until proven guilty.  But when it comes to your job, we should just can people for accusations.  What's to stop someone at your work from accusing you? 
What’s to stop someone at your work from accusing you of breaking into her house? Do you think someone credibly accused of breaking into coworkers’ houses should be  kept on? Not just accused, credibly so?

What’s to stop someone at your work from accusing you of breaking into her house? Do you think someone credibly accused of breaking into coworkers’ houses should be  kept on? Not just accused, credibly so?
Sorry, I haven't been glued to the thread.  Has AB been credibly accused of something?

Right.  I guess that's my point.  I can't prove I didn't break into my neighbor's house.  My neighbor can't prove that I did.  But if he's got a goody story...I should be in trouble?  

If someone at my work that has text messages from me where I reference us sleeping together--and she is now saying I raped her--should that be grounds for termination?

It's a slippery slope to a bad society.  

We absolutely need to take accusations seriously.  I'm not sure that means we need to punish the accused anytime the accusation is "credible."

We absolutely need to take accusations seriously.  I'm not sure that means we need to punish the accused anytime the accusation is "credible."
As written, I disagree with your statement.  I think the NFL by all means should use the commissioner's exempt list IF IT DEEMS the accusation credible.

But this all hinges on the subjective nature of the word credible.  The two best means of establishing credibility are independent and dependent investigation/discovery.

Here is a link to what I read as an unbiased story in the sporting news (circa 2 hours ago).  At the moment, there are issues of credibility on both sides.  In my opinion.

Information

Right.  I guess that's my point.  I can't prove I didn't break into my neighbor's house.  My neighbor can't prove that I did.  But if he's got a goody story...I should be in trouble?  

If someone at my work that has text messages from me where I reference us sleeping together--and she is now saying I raped her--should that be grounds for termination?

It's a slippery slope to a bad society.  

Probably depends what is meant by credible.  Assuming we could agree on that, I think we’d probably agree on things here. 

Also, sleeping with people from work at all is grounds at all for being terminated in many, perhaps most, workplaces. It just isn’t always enforced. 

Sort of.  But not really.  Like, he could sue her for defamation and win $100 million, but he’ll never get it. 
Yeah, the system of public opinion and defamation of character is not a strong recourse for fighting false accusations.

You can't get water out of a rock, can't get apologies out of the conscienceless.

That's neither here nor there about this case, but is generalized. 

The case could take 2-3 years to play out in court. So you would just leave Brown on the exempt list? There are a ton of issues with this. Even though the intent is for him to get paid while he waits out his case, if he got placed on the list now NE could easily release him having not paid him a dime. So then he would be on the exempt list with no pay. The case goes 2-3 years in the court system. So Brown can't earn a paycheck that entire time? He only has a one year deal with the Patriots. Let's say he is on the exempt list the entire season. NE would have to pay him the entirety of his contract and never once get to play him and he would become a free agent?
What the heck is all this about?

If the NFL were to place Brown on its exempt list, it would be for the express purpose of providing them time and opportunity to conduct their own investigation, and determine if league policies/rules were violated.

The league has no need or reason to wait around to see the outcome of civil litigation.  It has no bearing on their disciplinary actions (or inactions).

I think you'd have a really hard time in court with that argument, counselor.

If those videos made it in front of a jury, her case is on VERY shaky ground. 
In those videos did Ms. Taylor consent to having Brown ejaculate on her on the July 2017 date in question?

Did she consent to sex with him on the May 2018 date in question?

I didn't have the sound on when I watched them, so I cant answer those questions.  However if she did, then your point is well taken.

Well I'd just like to say this on behalf of Soulfly and myself.

FREE JOSH GORDON~!      

(this can only be good news for Gordon if AB is somehow removed from playing)   :football:

TZM

Probably depends what is meant by credible.  Assuming we could agree on that, I think we’d probably agree on things here. 

Also, sleeping with people from work at all is grounds at all for being terminated in many, perhaps most, workplaces. It just isn’t always enforced. 
Once upon a time, a pretty young women that I worked with confided in me that someone in the office was sexually harassing her.  Worse yet, one of my closet work friends, who was recently divorced, was identified as the guilty party.  She seemed very credible and I had no reason to doubt her story. 

Over the next few months, she continued to tell increasingly bizarre stories that were hard to believe.  One Monday morning, she relayed the tale of being badly beaten by her boyfriend and spending the week-end hospitalized.  Not a mark on her and dressed in a very revealing outfit, by the way.

At this juncture, I'm already thinking that she is bat #### crazy when I came across a Men's health article - "10 Women to Avoid".  One was "the victim" and it fit her to a tee.  I could see this women boiling a pet rabbit so my decision was to stay away - far away.   That was one of the few good decisions of my reckless youth as time proved my intuitions correct.

I mention this incident because it forever changed my friendship with the accused co-worker.  He really was a great guy, too.

Allegations, true or false, can be difficult to overcome.  Guilty until proven innocent, if you will.  In my experience, I've seen four people - probably unjustly - lose jobs due to workplace incidents where the company appeared more interested in protecting their own interests than the rights of the accused.

This is by no means an excuse for Antonio Brown and no rabbits were harmed in the typing of this post.

So meeting him at a strip club, solo, and ending up back at his place...she had no idea about the plan for the night?  Whatever happened, or didn't happen, while at his place is no one else's business but theirs.  However, it seems like a stretch to think she had no idea how she ended up back at his place...so, yeah, I pieced together her thought process.
Where did you get the misconception that she had no idea how she ended up back at his place?  The filing clearly states that she drove her rental car there, with Brown and another person.

Next question: which of the following constitutes her consenting to sex:

* meeting him at a club

* arriving by herself at said club

* driving him and his buddy home

* walking inside the home to use the bathroom?

Just curious at which point in this sequence Brown received the green light to bone her.

Once upon a time, a pretty young women that I worked with confided in me that someone in the office was sexually harassing her.  Worse yet, one of my closet work friends, who was recently divorced, was identified as the guilty party.  She seemed very credible and I had no reason to doubt her story. 

Over the next few months, she continued to tell increasingly bizarre stories that were hard to believe.  One Monday morning, she relayed the tale of being badly beaten by her boyfriend and spending the week-end hospitalized.  Not a mark on her and dressed in a very revealing outfit, by the way.

At this juncture, I'm already thinking that she is bat #### crazy when I came across a Men's health article - "10 Women to Avoid".  One was "the victim" and it fit her to a tee.  I could see this women boiling a pet rabbit so my decision was to stay away - far away.   That was one of the few good decisions of my reckless youth as time proved my intuitions correct.

I mention this incident because it forever changed my friendship with the accused co-worker.  He really was a great guy, too.

Allegations, true or false, can be difficult to overcome.  Guilty until proven innocent, if you will.  In my experience, I've seen four people - probably unjustly - lose jobs due to workplace incidents where the company appeared more interested in protecting their own interests than the rights of the accused.

This is by no means an excuse for Antonio Brown and no rabbits were harmed in the typing of this post.
Yeah, this is why an investigation is a good idea, with the person on paid leave in the meantime.  This person was ultimately not at all credible.  

I'm going to piggyback on this, though I do fear we're going off-topic. When I was in college a guy I knew was accused of rape. People threw rocks through his dorm window, he was beat up at least twice, he was constantly harassed and dropped out of school, but word got back to people in his home town and his parents started getting harassed as well. Their lives became miserable very quickly, and they ended up moving the entire family to a different state to start over. 

The accuser admitted to the police months later that everything was consensual, but she overheard a couple of her friends talking about her after they saw her go into the bedroom with the guy and she didn't want them to think she was "easy" so she told everyone she was raped. She made it all up. 

Nothing ended up happening to the girl. The guy's family had to sell their house and start over somewhere else. 

I have no idea what happened with AB, and you just don't know unless you were there. Lives can be ruined, or at least meaningfully harmed, from an accusation with no proof.

Next question: which of the following constitutes her consenting to sex:

* meeting him at a club

* arriving by herself at said club

* driving him and his buddy home

* walking inside the home to use the bathroom?
Which of the following constitutes AB's guilt:

- she said so.

- raunchy posts which do not involve a confession of assault

- the fact that AB is commonly recognized as a self-absorbed jerk

- the fact that she had the "strength to come forward", "is a god fearing woman", and "a minority female who's had to deal with mean coaches"

While both sets of questions tend to support a "side" of the debate, neither demonstrates credibility of consent or lack of consent.  Additional information is required to form an unbiased opinion.  Until such information is available both sides of the debate who continue to bicker are so many clucking hens.

Which of the following constitutes AB's guilt:

- she said so.

- raunchy posts which do not involve a confession of assault

- the fact that AB is commonly recognized as a self-absorbed jerk

- the fact that she had the "strength to come forward", "is a god fearing woman", and "a minority female who's had to deal with mean coaches"

While both sets of questions tend to support a "side" of the debate, neither demonstrates credibility of consent or lack of consent.  Additional information is required to form an unbiased opinion.  Until such information is available both sides of the debate who continue to bicker are so many clucking hens.
AB's "raunchy posts" (I assume you mean the text messages in the accuser's filing) clearly do involve a confession of assault.  He twice mentions jerking off on her back.

I understand that there are two sides to every story, and the most serious accusation seems to have no supporting evidence or witnesses.  Very much in he said/she said territory.

The ejaculation/assault claim looks like a slam dunk though -- he admits to it (more like brags about it/taunts her about it) in the texts.

Not just accused, credibly so?
What’s the bright-line distinction here? Does “credibly” really mean anything concrete outside of legal matters?

Understand that for a lot of the house, “credibly” is considered a weasel word. Is credibility not completely subjective, and thus subject to prejudice and individual whims?

Yeah, this is why an investigation is a good idea, with the person on paid leave in the meantime.  This person was ultimately not at all credible.  
I agree completely, however I am not sure how well AB is protected under the CBA and the Players’ Union.

I think he is gonna be released very soon. The Pats took him on assuming a clean slate. The new allegations have brought out some factually bad things about AB. More and more details about how big of a jerk he is keep coming out. They took a chance on a great player but this rape allegation is something they don't want to be a part of. I'm prepared for the worse as an AB owner. 

Mongidig said:
I think he is gonna be released very soon. The Pats took him on assuming a clean slate. The new allegations have brought out some factually bad things about AB. More and more details about how big of a jerk he is keep coming out. They took a chance on a great player but this rape allegation is something they don't want to be a part of. I'm prepared for the worse as an AB owner. 
Meh.  They've been OK with murderers on the roster.  Whatever helps them win.  Patriot Way and all.

foxco said:
I'm going to piggyback on this, though I do fear we're going off-topic. When I was in college a guy I knew was accused of rape. People threw rocks through his dorm window, he was beat up at least twice, he was constantly harassed and dropped out of school, but word got back to people in his home town and his parents started getting harassed as well. Their lives became miserable very quickly, and they ended up moving the entire family to a different state to start over. 

The accuser admitted to the police months later that everything was consensual, but she overheard a couple of her friends talking about her after they saw her go into the bedroom with the guy and she didn't want them to think she was "easy" so she told everyone she was raped. She made it all up. 

Nothing ended up happening to the girl. The guy's family had to sell their house and start over somewhere else. 

I have no idea what happened with AB, and you just don't know unless you were there. Lives can be ruined, or at least meaningfully harmed, from an accusation with no proof.
Also, lives can be ruined by sexual assault and rape.  With no or minimal appreciable consequences suffered by a large number of perpetrators even when convicted. I put a thread in the PSF about that. 

If we as a society handled these things better with the justice system, it would go a long way to get people to stop taking these matters into their own hands, I would expect. We do not handle these types of cases well at all in the criminal realm as a whole.  

baymen said:
I agree completely, however I am not sure how well AB is protected under the CBA and the Players’ Union.
I believe the CBA provides for the commissioner to place him on the exempt list, with pay, during and investigation and he can be suspended for a baseline six games if he’s committed sexual assault, more if there are mitigating circumstances. 

In the texts contained in the filing, AB twice references ejaculating on her back.  That constitutes assault, provided it was done without her consent (which seems clearly to be the case).
Seems that I may have sexually assaulted several dates / girlfriends / and my wife. Who knew?

AB is not contesting that he never had sexual relations with this person ... he's contesting that it was consensual. 

So, no, not "clearly the case"

davearm said:
In those videos did Ms. Taylor consent to having Brown ejaculate on her on the July 2017 date in question?

Did she consent to sex with him on the May 2018 date in question?

I didn't have the sound on when I watched them, so I cant answer those questions.  However if she did, then your point is well taken.
It speaks to the claims made in the complaint that she and Brown “were not in a romantic relationship” and that they “had a brother and sister relationship.” If that turns out to be false, then other claims in the complaint can be on shaky ground as well. This is a legal argument, and a strong one.

Also, lives can be ruined by sexual assault and rape.  With no or minimal appreciable consequences suffered by a large number of perpetrators even when convicted. I put a thread in the PSF about that. 

If we as a society handled these things better with the justice system, it would go a long way to get people to stop taking these matters into their own hands, I would expect. We do not handle these types of cases well at all in the criminal realm as a whole. 
Yes and no. Our system is definitely messed up and often doesn't handle it well. I think this is especially true in certain areas like colleges/universities and when athletes/celebrities are involved.

But rape is often a very difficult situation by the nature of most rapes. Something like 85% of rapes are committed by partners/exes/acquaintances. It's very often a he-said/she-said situation. Sending someone to prison based on he-said/she-said can be pretty difficult, especially when a relationship or previous relationship exists. 

That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to do better and that there aren't things to fix, but it certainly is a complex problem.

The case could take 2-3 years to play out in court. So you would just leave Brown on the exempt list? There are a ton of issues with this. Even though the intent is for him to get paid while he waits out his case, if he got placed on the list now NE could easily release him having not paid him a dime. So then he would be on the exempt list with no pay. The case goes 2-3 years in the court system. So Brown can't earn a paycheck that entire time? He only has a one year deal with the Patriots. Let's say he is on the exempt list the entire season. NE would have to pay him the entirety of his contract and never once get to play him and he would become a free agent?
That is a lot of extreme "what ifs" you're suggesting, but yes, if it takes 2-3 years to play out & the NFL decided to keep him on the exempt list, I'd have no problem with that decision.

If he's cleared, he can take actions against the false accusations at that point.

Let's not argue about him having his chance to make a living taken away; this is a guy who was willing to retire a month ago because he couldn't wear his special helmet.  If a special helmet is important enough to not work, possible sexual assault should be at least as important, no?

That is a lot of extreme "what ifs" you're suggesting, but yes, if it takes 2-3 years to play out & the NFL decided to keep him on the exempt list, I'd have no problem with that decision.

If he's cleared, he can take actions against the false accusations at that point.

Let's not argue about him having his chance to make a living taken away; this is a guy who was willing to retire a month ago because he couldn't wear his special helmet.  If a special helmet is important enough to not work, possible sexual assault should be at least as important, no?
None of us knows what happened. Hard to be cleared when there was no formal complaint filed, no investigation conducted, and no consideration for charges being filed. 

However, if the league forces Brown to sit before they look into anything, how many women that had a fling with an athlete and felt jilted would consider filing a civil suit in retaliation and try to get some money out of the deal? Based on the league's decision in this case will impact and influence future cases.

Users who are viewing this thread