What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (8 Viewers)

https://twitter.com/dpshow/status/1172507112926326784

Anyone know what this was based on? Fact or speculation or prior to week 2 game?
Don't know but when I saw the multiple video's and pictures taken from multiple locations showing AB and his accuser in bed together, smiling at the camera and stuff like that, I'd have been shocked if he was put on the exempt list.

Seeing those video's, along with time frame from when they had consensual sex on multiple occasions it's pretty clear she has zero leg to stand on to make a rape or assault accusation at this time. And while I'm perfectly clear that even longtime married couples can accuse the other of rape, because consenting to sex once does not mean you are always open for business, but seems next to impossible to  have consensual sex on multiple occasions and then come out 1-2 years later and say this was rape or assault. You may not like AB or Drew Rosenhaus, you may not think they tell the truth, but when they say sex between these two was consensual  that you can believe.

She was under his employ to some degree and they had sex. At best, at absolute best, she can try to say his power over her led her to have consensual sex with him and thus he is guilty of workplace sexual discrimination. That's not getting him suspended, put on a the exempt list or NE tearing up his contract.

What this thread should be about is should we start AB this week or wait and see him perform well first? I'm probably starting him on idea that while NE has struggled in Miami in the past, this is a different Miami team, I expect NE to handle them easily and use this game to try and iron out the timing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray Barboni said:
Curtis Samuel(3yr deal)  2020 1st for  

AB (2yr) 2020 3rd
Not sure which side of that you would be on, but I would rather have the AB side (especially if you are light on WR's). I'm not sold on the Panthers passing game and am not sure Samuel will amount to much more than being a good but not great fantasy WR (like a WR3 with so so WR2 upside). The bigger loss on that side to me would be the first round pick.

I still think AB will be a borderline WR1 (but it may take a month for him to get there). The $64,000 question is what does the league do with him? It's almost a given that the Patriots won't do anything and the league will have to intervene. There is a slight chance that the Commish finagles things and gets NE to sit AB this week under the guise that he doesn't know enough of the playbook. (Josh Gordon didn't play his first week with the team last year.)

I wouldn't rule out Brown returning to NEnext year if he does well, the team wins another title, and he mostly behaves. But all three of those are far from locks. Like all of us, I have no idea how many games Brown will be able to play this year. Based on prior incidents involving other players, I think Brown will be allowed to play and will stay off the exempt list in the immediate future. As I posted in here somewhere, Ben Roethlisberger had the same thing happen to him 10 years ago . . . a civil lawsuit was filed against him accusing him of sexual assault 10 years ago. He played the entire season (after which he ended up with another incident involving another woman and then got suspended).

So I will brazenly guess that Brown plays the entire season, doesn't get hurt, and does not get exempted or suspended. Based on that, NE has so many weapons and resources that I doubt he will see the target load he saw in PIT. Over the past 6 seasons with the Steelers, he averaged over 11 targets a game. My guess is he would be in the neighborhood of 8. There's only one football, and Brown, Edelman, Gordon, and White all will see a decent amount of targets.

Brown averaged 7.46 receptions, 99 receiving yards, and 0.73 TD a game in PIT. As a baseline, 8/11 of the targets would be 72.7%. I know it won't end up exactly like this, but 72.7% of those numbers would be 5.4 receptions, 72 yards, and 0.53 per game. To me that sounds about right in terms of what I would project AB at in NE after a month to ramp up. So projected over a 16 game season, that would work out to roughly 87 receptions, 1152 receiving yards, and 8 TD. (Remember, that's projected over a full season and Brown won't be playing 16 games and I am giving him a month to get up to speed that's reflected in those numbers.)

By comparison, Brandin Cooks put up 65-1082-7 in NE in 2017. Edelman didn't play that season and Gronk had 69-1084-8. That makes things a little easier to project for this year. In that 2017 season, Cooks, Gronk, Amendola, and Hogan accounted for 229-3264-22. I would guess roughly that amount of production will be split this year between Brown, Edelman, and Gordon. I doubt NE will use the TE spot much this year (unless Gronk comes back and even then that would likely only be for a few games).

Based on last year's year end results, those projected totals (87-1152-8) would have ranked Brown WR 13. Based on 2017 numbers, he would have ranked as WR7 or 8. That's my best guess with NE having who they have on their roster. I did not account that he might do more per reception because the NE offense might use him better or more effectively (but again that one is hard to be able to tell at this point).

Those numbers would go up if Edelman got nicked, if Gordon got suspended again, or if White missed a few games. Those numbers would go down if Gronk came back or Brady got hurt. If the NE defense is as strong as they appear, I would guess that the Patriots will be in no hurry to throw the ball a ton in the second half of games if they are sitting on a lead like last week. By that I mean, there may not be a ton of extra targets to come in garbage time or late in games.

And clearly Brown comes with a lot of risk that A) he doesn't get disciplined for the civil suit, B) there aren't more skeletons in his closet and no more lawsuits pop up, and 3) Brown can keep on the straight and narrow. And of course, we haven't seen Brown play a single snap with Brady and who knows how that will work out.

Anyway, those are my thoughts and projections. I hope this helps.

its amazing to see how the views on believing a woman's accusation of rape goes .... if its someone from a political party you don't agree with, believe without question

if its your WR1 and you need him to play this weekend for fantasy wins? toss her accusation aside and hope he plays

unreal

D

Don't know but when I saw the multiple video's and pictures taken from multiple locations showing AB and his accuser in bed together, smiling at the camera and stuff like that, I'd have been shocked if he was put on the exempt list.

Seeing those video's, along with time frame from when they had consensual sex on multiple occasions it's pretty clear she has zero leg to stand on to make a rape or assault accusation at this time. And while I'm perfectly clear that even longtime married couples can accuse the other of rape, because consenting to sex once does not mean you are always open for business, but seems next to impossible to  have consensual sex on multiple occasions and then come out 1-2 years later and say this was rape or assault. You may not like AB or Drew Rosenhaus, you may not think they tell the truth, but when they say sex between these two was consensual  that you can believe.

She was under his employ to some degree and they had sex. At best, at absolute best, she can try to say his power over her led her to have consensual sex with him and thus he is guilty of workplace sexual discrimination. That's not getting him suspended, put on a the exempt list or NE tearing up his contract.

What this thread should be about is should we start AB this week or wait and see him perform well first? I'm probably starting him on idea that while NE has struggled in Miami in the past, this is a different Miami team, I expect NE to handle them easily and use this game to try and iron out the timing.
Did you quote the wrong post? I was just wondering if the league office said this was the case or if it was speculation. At this point, I have seen more posts and this is just saying he wont be put on the list THIS WEEK.

As a Chief's fan and seeing what Tyreek Hill went through, I am all for all the facts coming out before AB gets crucified in the court of public opinion.

its amazing to see how the views on believing a woman's accusation of rape goes .... if its someone from a political party you don't agree with, believe without question

if its your WR1 and you need him to play this weekend for fantasy wins? toss her accusation aside and hope he plays

unreal
It’s really not a fantasy football thing.

It’s a how do we handle accusations thing.

We should take them seriously and hear all the facts.

We should also remember that people are innocent until prove n guilty.

We shouldn’t want to live in a world where being accused automatically results in punishment, loss of job/earnings/etc.

Maybe it’s a nice thought that no one would ever falsely accuse someone for alternate motives.  But it happens.

And wanting to let the process play out and see all the facts before punishing the man is not “throwing her accusations aside.”

We should also remember that people are guilty until proven innocent.

We shouldn’t want to live in a world where being accused automatically results in punishment, loss of job/earnings/etc.

Maybe it’s a nice thought that no one would ever falsely accuse someone for alternate motives.  But it happens.

And wanting to let the process play out and see all the facts before punishing the man is not “throwing her accusations aside.”
I have no shares of AB.

I think he acts like a clown and don't particularly like him. 

As a Chief's fan, it would be great if he never played for the Pats.

I still just think the automatic rush to judgment and punishment isn't the right answer. Once RG has heard both sides of the story, he will make a decision. It only makes sense for him to wait until then in my opinion.

unreal
Someone is painting with a broad brush here. :lol:  

I’m a firm believer in innocent until proven guilty. Others may be down with that guilty until proven innocent thing.

Different strokes I suppose! 

I have no shares of AB.

I think he acts like a clown and don't particularly like him. 

As a Chief's fan, it would be great if he never played for the Pats.

I still just think the automatic rush to judgment and punishment isn't the right answer. Once RG has heard both sides of the story, he will make a decision. It only makes sense for him to wait until then in my opinion.
In a roundabout way, I think the Hill situation will end up helping Brown. I know Hill received a team suspension that kept him away from the team, but it was the off season and he didn't miss any actual games. More importantly, he never was added to the exempt list. In his case, there were multiple investigations by law enforcement and child and family services with multiple incidents under review.

With Brown, there are no police reports or medical records that we know of, so in many ways there was way more information to go on with regard to Hill. And there actually was action taken by a government agency to indicate that they were very concerned with what was going on (the child being removed from the home).

All of that to me gave the commissioner way more to stew over and gave him reasons to put Hill on the exempt list. Compare that pile of information with the limited amount there is to review at this early stage for Brown (the court filing with an attached cryptic text or email).

As much as sexual assault is a hot button topic, I think we are a ways away from the league being able to decide what they want to do with Brown and if he would be a candidate for the exempt list. For now, I think they have to let him play. Down stream, I think they have to see more movement on the law enforcement side to whether they will launch an investigation and if any charges are considered, what those considerations may be, and whether the police decide to act on them.

That being said, Brown isn't really looking all good a guy this past week, and I don't blame anyone that things he deserves some form of discipline . . . but I would have guessed that would have come from his antics and shenanigans to force his release from Oakland. I think we may be headed more the path of Zeke at least from the upcoming timeline, meaning it could take them a year to come to a conclusion and if they decide to suspend him it would be at the start of next season.

We should also remember that people are guilty until proven innocent.

Is the bolded what you meant to say?

That being said, Brown isn't really looking all good a guy this past week, and I don't blame anyone that things he deserves some form of discipline . . . but I would have guessed that would have come from his antics and shenanigans to force his release from Oakland. I think we may be headed more the path of Zeke at least from the upcoming timeline, meaning it could take them a year to come to a conclusion and if they decide to suspend him it would be at the start of next season.
I don't think the NFL should put him on the exempt thing for the rape allegations, at least not with what we know at the moment. 

However I do think AB's actions beginning last season and leading up to his release by Oakland should be investigated.   I think the Raiders have every right to feel they were screwed and that AB never had intentions of playing for them.    Players that pull this kind of stunt should not be rewarded.

Whoa whoa whoa.

When was it established that consensual sex occurred between these two individuals?

As a basis for comparison, last year Josh Gordon sat the first game he was eligible to play for NE. In his first game action with the team (also against MIA), he saw 2 targets, caught both passes, accumulated 32 yards, and did not find the end zone. Also noteworthy was that Edelman was suspended for that game (meaning they needed a receiver to step up).
I think Gordon was coming back from a hamstring injury to begin the season.

I don't think the NFL should put him on the exempt thing for the rape allegations, at least not with what we know at the moment. 

However I do think AB's actions beginning last season and leading up to his release by Oakland should be investigated.   I think the Raiders have every right to feel they were screwed and that AB never had intentions of playing for them.    Players that pull this kind of stunt should not be rewarded.
100% agree (Pats fan).

Whoa whoa whoa.

When was it established that consensual sex occurred between these two individuals?
I think he's inferring it from the videos and images he mentioned in his opening sentence.  I don't necessarily agree and havent seen such, but I think thats what he meant.

I suggest those of you who believe these accusations follow this link...

oopsie.
Flipping off a camera, mugging for the camera and dancing for the camera videos that were posted without knowing when they were made. Damning proof against Taylor for sure.

Again, I dont think AB should be on the exempt list based upon an accusation but I don't know how this clears him in anyone's mind.  Those videos could have been before or between the alleged incidents for all we know. 

I think he's inferring it from the videos and images he mentioned in his opening sentence.  I don't necessarily agree and havent seen such, but I think thats what he meant.
I'm sure you will have an impassioned response imploring him not to leap to conclusions or assume facts not in evidence.

Or do you save all of those for me?

Flipping off a camera, mugging for the camera and dancing for the camera videos that were posted without knowing when they were made. Damning proof against Taylor for sure.

Again, I dont think AB should be on the exempt list based upon an accusation but I don't know how this clears him in anyone's mind.  Those videos could have been before or between the alleged incidents for all we know. 
What?! Stuff being given to the public by one side or the other could be taken out of context and be misleading?!! No way!!!

It's like you're saying we should wait until the evidence is presented and vetted by the other side and then make our conclusion. That seems like too much work.

No, you don't suspend every player that has been accused of something.  But you do investigate those accusations if they're deemed credible.

If that investigation reveals a violation of the league's personal conduct policy, then you discipline that player in accordance with the policy's rules.
Of course.  I'm not suggesting that don't look into it.  They should investigate every situation that is brought to light, whether it ends up being a bogus accusation or they find it to be the truth.  Due process.

so both in the same bed with minimal clothing didn't convince you that they may have had a sexual relationship? Or is that more of a brother-sister relationship as she stated in her complaint?

sure, but it proves she's a liar....which puts in severe doubt whatever she claims

AB might not be able to spell, but he's not STOOPID.

He knows acting like a clown in New England is going to go over like a lead balloon. AB will at least TRY to conform, & remember, this whole charade (since the Steelers) was about him trying to go somewhere else. Evidently, AB is where he wants to be & don't underestimate that.

However, I believe AB is in deep doo-doo with this rape thing once it all shakes out & will be REAL lucky to survive it (at least as far as staying with the Pats long-term).

sure, but it proves she's a liar....which puts in severe doubt whatever she claims
A question without trying to be snarky: In your opinion, these three videos PROVE that they had an consensual sexual relationship, therefore she is a liar. Am I interpreting that right?

A question without trying to be snarky: In your opinion, these three videos PROVE that they had an consensual sexual relationship, therefore she is a liar. Am I interpreting that right?
she stated their relationship was that of a "brother-sister" type. Did you get that impression after watching those videos?

What I saw in literally five minutes of searching business records on her gym in Tenn is that it dissolved on 8/13/2019 and her FB and Insta account related to the business (which used to feature AB a lot in no-doubt a way to gain some views) is down.  I am all for due process. This smells like a money grab to me from a lady who is out of business and needs cash but, again, due process needs to be done to find out. But at the very least, I understand why the NFL is not going to exempt him first and ask questions later. One thing the NFL has always made concerted efforts in doing at their rookie seminars and other events is try to educate players how to play it smart and not be victim to scammers-personal and business alike. 

So, I get it and, as we have seen before, IF it turns out that all things are substantiated, he's probably done or severely damaged to the point a few games here or there aren't going to help. 

she stated their relationship was that of a "brother-sister" type. Did you get that impression after watching those videos?
You clearly see something much more damning in those videos than I do. The only one that is even slightly questionable is the one where they are giving the finger while fully clothed (from what we can tell) and it looks like they may be in a bed. The other two strike me as more videos friends would post.

These 4 or 5 seconds don't prove anything to me.

What I saw in literally five minutes of searching business records on her gym in Tenn is that it dissolved on 8/13/2019 and her FB and Insta account related to the business (which used to feature AB a lot in no-doubt a way to gain some views) is down.  I am all for due process. This smells like a money grab to me from a lady who is out of business and needs cash but, again, due process needs to be done to find out. But at the very least, I understand why the NFL is not going to exempt him first and ask questions later. One thing the NFL has always made concerted efforts in doing at their rookie seminars and other events is try to educate players how to play it smart and not be victim to scammers-personal and business alike. 

So, I get it and, as we have seen before, IF it turns out that all things are substantiated, he's probably done or severely damaged to the point a few games here or there aren't going to help. 
I don't know what happened, and if the woman involved had something serious happen to her and is an emotional wreck I feel sorry for her (and other victims). Again, I am not jumping to conclusions and am not trying to victimize a potential victim, but on the surface and with some other things that came out this week, it looks like she could have tried bluffing to get a payout / settlement from AB and when that didn't look like it was going anywhere then she filed the civil suit. Maybe her side of the story, maybe her additional evidence, maybe her interview with the league will shed more light or swing the pendulum more her way . . . but as far as any league action against Brown goes, I think there's going to have to be a fair amount more for the league to be compelled to act. That would probably mean a full court press police investigation to the point where they would be considering filing charges against him . . . and as far as we know there is nothing going on on that front (for now).

You clearly see something much more damning in those videos than I do. The only one that is even slightly questionable is the one where they are giving the finger while fully clothed (from what we can tell) and it looks like they may be in a bed. The other two strike me as more videos friends would post.

These 4 or 5 seconds don't prove anything to me.
and the one with AB in his underwear and Taylor in the same bed?..Not sure what she is wearing..could be a towel.

I don't know what happened, and if the woman involved had something serious happen to her and is an emotional wreck I feel sorry for her (and other victims). Again, I am not jumping to conclusions and am not trying to victimize a potential victim, but on the surface and with some other things that came out this week, it looks like she could have tried bluffing to get a payout / settlement from AB and when that didn't look like it was going anywhere then she filed the civil suit. Maybe her side of the story, maybe her additional evidence, maybe her interview with the league will shed more light or swing the pendulum more her way . . . but as far as any league action against Brown goes, I think there's going to have to be a fair amount more for the league to be compelled to act. That would probably mean a full court press police investigation to the point where they would be considering filing charges against him . . . and as far as we know there is nothing going on on that front (for now).
Just asking because I don't know and honestly have tried to stay clear of most things Antonio Brown this off-season, but Is there any particular significance that this is a civil case and not criminal? Does that tell us anything or carry any weight in what the league is thinking and saying?

Just asking because I don't know and honestly have tried to stay clear of most things Antonio Brown this off-season, but Is there any particular significance that this is a civil case and not criminal? Does that tell us anything or carry any weight in what the league is thinking and saying?
I'm asking the same question, a criminal case would have much more impact, I think.

Yes, that has been the distinction so far . . . the media and some talking heads seem to think that as long as this stays a civil case that the league probably won't do anything. Of course, if they uncover anything inflammatory in their own investigation, that would change things.

Yes, that has been the distinction so far . . . the media and some talking heads seem to think that as long as this stays a civil case that the league probably won't do anything. Of course, if they uncover anything inflammatory in their own investigation, that would change things.
Not sure why this continues to be so confusing for so many.

There is criminal law.

There is civil law.

There is the NFL's personal conduct policy.

Each of these three is independent of the other two.

The NFL is solely concerned with whether its own personal conduct policy has been violated.  What is or isn't happening in the other two arenas is largely irrelevant, from the NFL's perspective.

Of course it does. If he had been arrested and charged that would mean an objective third party had decided there was enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt he had raped her. Here, all she's done is convince a few lawyers there's slightly better than a 50/50 chance they might get some money out of AB.

Of course it does. If he had been arrested and charged that would mean an objective third party had decided there was enough evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt he had raped her. Here, all she's done is convince a few lawyers there's slightly better than a 50/50 chance they might get some money out of AB.
I am not even sure that in these types of cases winning a judgment in the court case is the objective. I think a lot of times the scare tactic is the discovery process . . . defendants have to pony up texts, emails, financial records, cell phones, etc. A lot of times people don't want their dirty secrets to come out because it could be more damning than what the civil trial is all about. So the lawyers could be looking to strong arm a settlement.

That is not at all what that means.

The helmet manufacturer, Xenith, has decided to end its relationship with Patriots’ WR Antonio Brown. “We look forward to seeing the Xenith Shadow worn by football athletes at all levels of play this fall,” the company said today.

The helmet manufacturer, Xenith, has decided to end its relationship with Patriots’ WR Antonio Brown. “We look forward to seeing the Xenith Shadow worn by football athletes at all levels of play this fall,” the company said today.
So another Helmetgate upcoming? 

... or can he still wear it, just not any partnership?

Not sure why this continues to be so confusing for so many.

There is criminal law.

There is civil law.

There is the NFL's personal conduct policy.

Each of these three is independent of the other two.

The NFL is solely concerned with whether its own personal conduct policy has been violated.  What is or isn't happening in the other two arenas is largely irrelevant, from the NFL's perspective.
It is definitely not irrelevant to the NFL.

The NFL is a lot more concerned with their public relations and perceptions.  The personal conduct policy exists as a vehicle to disincentivize players doing things that paint the NFL in a bad light.  I suspect there are violations of the PCP that we never know about... and then others that aren't really a violation but give enough bad PR that the NFL can find away to apply the broad PCP to punish the player.

Marijuana is the contradiction to what I just said...  It's hilarious in a way that the NFL doesn't want players using marijuana to give the league bad PR... except for the only way that the public knows the players use marijuana is because the NFL tests for and suspends for it.  Dummies.

So another Helmetgate upcoming? 

... or can he still wear it, just not any partnership?
LOL... I'm sure they cannot prevent him from wearing it.  That would be illegal AFAIK.

This reminded me that I read somewhere that some fashion designers pay the Jersey Shore cast to NOT wear their stuff.   :lmao:

It is definitely not irrelevant to the NFL.

The NFL is a lot more concerned with their public relations and perceptions.  The personal conduct policy exists as a vehicle to disincentivize players doing things that paint the NFL in a bad light.  I suspect there are violations of the PCP that we never know about... and then others that aren't really a violation but give enough bad PR that the NFL can find away to apply the broad PCP to punish the player.

Marijuana is the contradiction to what I just said...  It's hilarious in a way that the NFL doesn't want players using marijuana to give the league bad PR... except for the only way that the public knows the players use marijuana is because the NFL tests for and suspends for it.  Dummies.
The NFL does what it does independent of what the judicial system does, was the point.

Definitely agree that the NFL is very conscious of PR/perceptions.  We've all heard about protecting the shield.

Christo is purportedly a lawyer and in this case, he's correct. Being charged criminally means somebody has decided that there's enough evidence to charge you with a crime and remove your freedom to move within society as you wish, believing they can win a case beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime occurred. A civil suit has a standard of preponderance of the evidence, which means it's a proposition whether some lawyer somewhere believes he can advocate enough for someone to where there's a greater than 50% chance that the evidence presented to the jury allows them to find the accused "guilty" of the trespass committed against the person. Or battery. Or whatever legal term you can muster. Thing is, it's the process.

Criminal - evidence leads to an affirmation that there's proof beyond a reasonable doubt standard of guilt.

Civil - evidence leads to an affirmation of a preponderance of evidence in favor of the plaintiff's claims standard of guilt.

Christo is pretty much right on all accounts of what you're arguing. 

Yes, it is. Prosecutors don't go around charging famous people if they don't think they can get a conviction.

Users who are viewing this thread