What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (11 Viewers)

No way to know this, but:

So going into today’s presser, Belichick had no intention whatsoever of cutting Brown? And his decision to do so was pretty much made during the presser, or toward the end of it?

What do Patriots observers believe? Interested to read the perspectives on this, even if it’s a lot of guesswork.
Listening to Boston Sports radio this afternoon, the hosts seemed to think this was Kraft's call more than BB's.  So perhaps BB had no idea the axe was going to fall during his presser.  

Another point...  that $9MM guaranteed money?  $5MM was due to be paid on Monday.  The remaining $4MM in early January.  So it's possible the Patriots get off cheap financially...  owing only the pro-rated portion of AB's $1MM base salary.  In the end, this was an 11-day experiment that will cost the Patriots very little in terms of money.  

Not in his shoes but with the kind of money he was going to make maybe you pay the settlement money & go from there with the idea you will never get involved in situations like that again.   I don't know whether guilty or innocent but with today's culture you can barely comment on how good a woman looks.  sad situation all the way around.

peace out.
Apparently, the guy is the living imbodiment of "getting involved in situations like this again."

Last edited by a moderator:
Not that it would happen, or even should for that matter.

But is he free to sign elsewhere if a low-life GM wants to take a chance? 

Just hoping to get some return on a huge sunken asset. 

Not that it would happen, or even should for that matter.

But is he free to sign elsewhere if a low-life GM wants to take a chance? 

Just hoping to get some return on a huge sunken asset. 
I doubt a team takes a chance while these investigations are ongoing, which will take a while, and he’ll probably do something dumb in the meantime anyway. He’s a lost cause. All-time epic waste of talent. 

So the Patriots now have cash to bring in Jalen Ramsey?

Also FWIW - Sports Center reporting that Patriots do not have to pay him (failed to notify them of pending suit).

I knew it was coming as soon as the allegations came. It was only a matter of time. 

Such a shame, he and Brady could have put some huge numbers up. 

Huh?

The Patriot way is ALL Belichick.

That said, I feel like they will both retire at the same time.
I'm on the other side of this. It's almost entirely based on having Brady in place. None of it really works unless you have the HOF QB. Obviously Brady wouldn't have turned out the same without BB, but there aren't six SB wins without Brady. There probably isn't even one. And I would take it a step further and speculate that BB might not even still be the HC of the Patriots if they never drafted Brady. 

Not seeing this talked about but is this guy mentally ill? I mean, could there be some early onset CTE? I'm in no way joking.

So the Patriots now have cash to bring in Jalen Ramsey?

Also FWIW - Sports Center reporting that Patriots do not have to pay him (failed to notify them of pending suit).
No. They won't get credit for the $9 million (assuming they get a credit) until next season.

Jason La Canfora @JasonLaCanfora

NFL's investigation into Antonio Brown is ongoing and league still plans to speak with him. Could be suspended as a free agent if NFL sees fitm For now he is free to sign with any team although anticipate scant interest if any at all

Adam Schefter @AdamSchefter

NFL now can conduct its investigation of Antonio Brown without any time pressure. It's hard to imagine another team would attempt to get in the way of that. So Brown's NFL career is on pause and possibly could even be over.

I imagine they were playing it out, aware that there were alleged menacing messages, but then when the league said they had confirmed that the messages were in fact sent by AB that was the pivot point.
Did this go public, or is it your speculation? Not doubting, just wondering if the league really put out a statement like that.

There's a statement out. Something about deciding to go in a different direction. :rolleyes:

Here it is
The New England Patriots are releasing Antonio Brown. We appreciate the hard work of many people over the past 11 days, but we feel that it is best to move in a different direction at this time.
Over the last 11 days? 🤣

Not seeing this talked about but is this guy mentally ill? I mean, could there be some early onset CTE? I'm in no way joking.
Yea really ... something is wrong mentally - even the “diva WR” throughout history has acted like this. 

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure that after that KO hit that Burfict put on him - was right around the time he started acting a fool in Pittsburgh. 

AB really needs some help. Hopefully the people around him don’t just run away ... because if he’s left alone, with no job - he could really spiral down.

This isn’t even about football anymore. 

That was in the 90’s and coming from a Bills fan?!?!? 

Tex
Randy Gregory

Pacman Jones

Dimitrius Underwood

Dez Bryant

La'el Collins

Greg Hardy

Zeke Elliot

Rolando McClain

Josh Brent

Nolan Carroll

David Irving

TO

Jerry Jones has shown repeatedly that he will look the other way when it comes to talent.

Both were discussed in here before the Oakland release. Not a fan, but am concerned for him in the wake of the (deserved) release.

bills are in there, my good sir. i count it.
They did trade for him before he nixed it, but now he has less leverage and they’re 2-0 and Allen looks like a young Big Ben.

ETA: I misread your quote thinking you were predicting he’d go there now. I don’t think you can count them now since he was never officially on the team - but your point remains. It’s wacky.

Randy Gregory

Pacman Jones

Dimitrius Underwood

Dez Bryant

La'el Collins

Greg Hardy

Zeke Elliot

Rolando McClain

Josh Brent

Nolan Carroll

David Irving

TO

Jerry Jones has shown repeatedly that he will look the other way when it comes to talent.
I think the current mindset of society - has a totally different aspect of the AB situation.

all of the players you mentioned? Didn’t  continue to dig their own graves VIA social media.

AB has done that. 

I think he’s done as an NFL player.

I think the current mindset of society - has a totally different aspect of the AB situation.

all of the players you mentioned? Didn’t  continue to dig their own graves VIA social media.

AB has done that. 

I think he’s done as an NFL player.
He can't get out of his own damn way.

Tomlin was a magician.

Randy Gregory

Pacman Jones

Dimitrius Underwood

Dez Bryant

La'el Collins

Greg Hardy

Zeke Elliot

Rolando McClain

Josh Brent

Nolan Carroll

David Irving

TO

OJ Simpson!

Got away with murder, I wouldn’t point fingers.

Tex

Theoretical question: since Brown had 4 catches including a touchdown in game 2: if the Pats go on to win a Super Bowl this season, is he entitled to a ring? 

Users who are viewing this thread