Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Casting Couch

Antonio Brown - Official Thread

Recommended Posts

I'm about as far from a pats fan as I think I could be, but damn some of you guys are so freaking weird about them on this site.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TwinTurbo said:

The whole "Patriot way" thing will cease to exist once Brady retires. That's how the entire thing keeps working. 

The Patriot Way thing was propaganda all along. When Brady retires, if BB is still around they will still be an excellent team. He will have a suitable replacement for low dollars that will be cool under pressure and not make dumb mistakes. The rest of the team will still be well coached and they will max out their use of the cap. They may not get 13 wins and a title, but they should be able to get 11 wins and see how the new guy does in the post season. At that point, who knows how someone else would do in playoff crunch time. One would guess not as well as Brady. But I don't see them with only 5 or 6 wins if BB is head coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, belljr said:

So how much does he actually end up getting paid for this

For the 4th time . . . I believe he received $58,000. I do not believe he was paid any of his guaranteed bonus money as of yet, and NE certainly isn't going to pay it. The burden will be on Brown to demand it, and the way things played out I'm not sure a lot of people will be in AB's corner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, shadyridr said:

I dunno. I get the impression he was supportive of him

But Gisele just made Brady burn all the washcloths from that guest bathroom I am betting......

  • Laughing 2
  • Thinking 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Anarchy99 said:

For the 4th time . . . I believe he received $58,000. I do not believe he was paid any of his guaranteed bonus money as of yet, and NE certainly isn't going to pay it. The burden will be on Brown to demand it, and the way things played out I'm not sure a lot of people will be in AB's corner.

I'd be surprised if Antonio isn't getting most, if not all, of his guaranteed money.  His tweet announcing the release was way too appreciative.  It would have been a very different tone if he only made $58k this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wakelawyer said:

I'd be surprised if Antonio isn't getting most, if not all, of his guaranteed money.  His tweet announcing the release was way too appreciative.  It would have been a very different tone if he only made $58k this year.

Well we might see a different tweet on Monday when it doesn't show up in his bank account.

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

The Patriot Way thing was propaganda all along. When Brady retires, if BB is still around they will still be an excellent team. He will have a suitable replacement for low dollars that will be cool under pressure and not make dumb mistakes. The rest of the team will still be well coached and they will max out their use of the cap. They may not get 13 wins and a title, but they should be able to get 11 wins and see how the new guy does in the post season. At that point, who knows how someone else would do in playoff crunch time. One would guess not as well as Brady. But I don't see them with only 5 or 6 wins if BB is head coach.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_New_England_Patriots_season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Soulfly3 said:

@AdamSchefter

NFL now can conduct its investigation of Antonio Brown without any time pressure. It's hard to imagine another team would attempt to get in the way of that. So Brown's NFL career is on pause and possibly could even be over.

Far easier for the league to announce that there is an investigation, without actually starting one.  This will signal to all 32 teams that he is verboten until/if cleared by the non-existent investigation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

For the 4th time . . . I believe he received $58,000. I do not believe he was paid any of his guaranteed bonus money as of yet, and NE certainly isn't going to pay it. The burden will be on Brown to demand it, and the way things played out I'm not sure a lot of people will be in AB's corner.

you keep saying it but it doesn't make it true.  He played a game, they will owe him the guaranteed part, sure they can make it difficult if they want because they still hold said money.   And when major money is on the line AB will have plenty of people/lawyers in his corner looking to get it for him and get a piece of it themselves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There were only 3 teams that this version of Antonio Brown could have played for.  Raiders - failed.  Patriots - failed.  Seahawks? Carroll will take on reclamation projects but even if allowed by the league I doubt he would take on somebody who Gruden/Bellichick couldn't get on board.  Done.  Good riddance.  Love to see people finally be held accountable for their actions.  Nobody is saying he's "misunderstood" now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mozzy84 said:

you keep saying it but it doesn't make it true.  He played a game, they will owe him the guaranteed part, sure they can make it difficult if they want because they still hold said money.   And when major money is on the line AB will have plenty of people/lawyers in his corner looking to get it for him and get a piece of it themselves.

The question was how much has NE paid him so far. Any additional monies will be a battle for AB to collect. NE certainly has a case to say that Brown did not negotiate in good faith and knew all along that a lawsuit was coming. I don't know the legal term for it, but by not disclosing prior indiscretions it set up his new team to not be able to honor the contract because of Brown's prior actions. And that's assuming he can argue that his current behavior didn't violate the terms of this specific contract language and the terms of the CBA and Player Code of Conduct. Who knows . . . maybe they gave Brown some money to go away and not file a claim for the rest. We don't know the details yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

The Patriot Way thing was propaganda all along. When Brady retires, if BB is still around they will still be an excellent team. He will have a suitable replacement for low dollars that will be cool under pressure and not make dumb mistakes. The rest of the team will still be well coached and they will max out their use of the cap. They may not get 13 wins and a title, but they should be able to get 11 wins and see how the new guy does in the post season. At that point, who knows how someone else would do in playoff crunch time. One would guess not as well as Brady. But I don't see them with only 5 or 6 wins if BB is head coach.

Yeah BB is certainly a great coach. He's the best there is in a league full of coaching mediocrity. But he also has the GOAT and plays in the AFC East which is the gift that just keeps on giving. Zero franchise QBs for the Jets, Dolphins, or Bills in the 19 years since the Pats drafted Brady and a clown car full of bad coaches. The next best QB after Brady was probably Chad Pennington. It's like getting dealt pocket AA every time when you get to play against the likes of Mark Sanchez, Geno Smith, Trent Edwards, Jay Fiedler, or Ryan Fitzpatrick for 6 games a season every season for 19 years. 

I think a combination of Brady's retirement and at least one other AFC East team finally getting an elite QB, will turn the tide. But it remains to be seen if Sam Darnold or Josh Allen can be that guy. Probably not. So BB has a few years left to lock in that automatic playoff berth and also find the next franchise QB for the Pats. 

Edited by TwinTurbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cherry on top would be if the Shats are forced to pay him $9 MM, which then is won by his accuser. Would be epic karma all around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

The difference being that NE already has a stacked roster. BB is not rebuilding an entire team and implementing a completely new system.

They made major additions between 2000 and 2001 resulting in going from 5-11 to 11-5 (starting 0-2 in 2001 before brady took over)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thoughts and Prayers to all the Patriots fans and people who had AB on their fantasy teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, mozzy84 said:

you keep saying it but it doesn't make it true.  He played a game, they will owe him the guaranteed part, sure they can make it difficult if they want because they still hold said money.   And when major money is on the line AB will have plenty of people/lawyers in his corner looking to get it for him and get a piece of it themselves.

I don’t know how true it is but NFL radio said it was 5 million at the time of signing then 4 million at the beginning of 2020.

Tex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tom Skerritt said:

If he’d have just kept his mouth shut and played for the Raiders, none of this happens, right?

The first accuser wanted $2 million or she would have filed a civil case. He didn't pay, so she the expectation was that he would have been served and the process would have occurred in OAK instead of NE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BigTex said:

I don’t know how true it is but NFL radio said it was 5 million at the time of signing then 4 million at the beginning of 2020.

Tex

It's being reported in NE that the $5 million was due two weeks after his date of signing . . . which is Monday 9/23.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Pats end up having to pay AB, the Raiders won in this fiasco. Well, except for the draft picks. :doh: 

Edited by Hot Sauce Guy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

For the 4th time . . . I believe he received $58,000. I do not believe he was paid any of his guaranteed bonus money as of yet, and NE certainly isn't going to pay it. The burden will be on Brown to demand it, and the way things played out I'm not sure a lot of people will be in AB's corner.

$158,333

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, agame2323 said:

I can't image anyone taking a chance on him now. Of course... I thought that after he was released by the Raiders so....

One team, and I think even they are going to probably back off.  Seattle. But I don't think Pete Carrol wants the head ache either.  Did you see Belichek's face in that last presser.  He had already had enough and that was BB.  If he couldn't handle the storm, no one can. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Anarchy99 said:

It's being reported in NE that the $5 million was due two weeks after his date of signing . . . which is Monday 9/23.

I guess we’ll see not that it matters much. I’m just repeating what NFL radio is currently saying.

Tex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

far cry from anarchy's 58,000

It says most likely will be credited back

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dr. Dan said:

far cry from anarchy's 58,000

I also said the league will place a cap hold on Brown until they iron out the details and at some point they will add back in whatever amount they determine to add back in. Usually that happens in the offseason, so whatever cap relief they opt to afford the Patriots, it will come as a cap credit for 2020. Basically, at some point if the league decides to give NE cap relief, it just frees up more cap space for next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Field Yates

If Antonio Brown does not wind up receiving his $9M signing bonus from the Patriots (the first $5M was due to be paid on Monday), he will go from a $30M guarantee in March to $9M guaranteed to just $158,333 made for 2019

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

Drew is working hard:

"It's unfortunate things didn't work out with the Patriots. But Antonio is healthy and is looking forward to his next opportunity in the NFL. He wants to play the game he loves and he hopes to play for another team soon."

https://mobile.twitter.com/RosenhausSports/status/1175150350095048705

was waiting for him to say hes excited for AB to be a FA for the second time in his career

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate New England and would root for Al Qaeda State if they played one another, but I have to give the Patriots credit for doing the right thing here.  They handled this situation about as well as they realistically could have considering that the serious allegations broke after they acquired him.

Edited by IvanKaramazov
  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Sinn Fein said:

Thoughts and Prayers to all the Patriots fans and people who had AB on their fantasy teams. 

True story.

I traded him last night in my 15 year running dynasty league.

 

sent:

Deshaun Watson

Antonio Brown

Shady McCoy

Received:

Myles Sanders

Michael Gallup

Cole Beasley

2020 1st rounder (Between 1st - 4th overall).

2- 2020 3rd rounders

I am rebuilding (Lamar Jackson is my other QB) and his team has Tyreek Hill on the shelf. 

I feel kinda bad......but man what timing.

 

5 minutes ago, Hairy Snowman said:

 

  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Hairy Snowman said:

One team, and I think even they are going to probably back off.  Seattle. But I don't think Pete Carrol wants the head ache either.  Did you see Belichek's face in that last presser.  He had already had enough and that was BB.  If he couldn't handle the storm, no one can. 

No way to know this, but:

So going into today’s presser, Belichick had no intention whatsoever of cutting Brown? And his decision to do so was pretty much made during the presser, or toward the end of it?

What do Patriots observers believe? Interested to read the perspectives on this, even if it’s a lot of guesswork.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SoBeDad said:

Drew is working hard:

"It's unfortunate things didn't work out with the Patriots. But Antonio is healthy and is looking forward to his next opportunity in the NFL. He wants to play the game he loves and he hopes to play for another team soon."

https://mobile.twitter.com/RosenhausSports/status/1175150350095048705

Clown. FOH. 

  • Like 2
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Guy said:

If the Pats end up having to pay AB, the Raiders won in this fiasco. Well, except for the draft picks. :doh: 

Can't discount how much he helped them in that dolphins game though

  • Like 1
  • Laughing 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian reporting he hasn’t like Anarchy is saying and if that language is correct in his contract he won’t see a dime of that bonus.

Tex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dr. Dan said:

was waiting for him to say hes excited for AB to be a FA for the second time in his career

In a month 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, belljr said:

Field Yates

If Antonio Brown does not wind up receiving his $9M signing bonus from the Patriots (the first $5M was due to be paid on Monday), he will go from a $30M guarantee in March to $9M guaranteed to just $158,333 made for 2019

Machiavelli sez: Shoulda paid Taylor the $2 million. Call it a stupid tax.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.