What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (5 Viewers)

That makes no sense to me but to each their own.  He's on your magical football team (or he would be on mine if someone were to gift him to me), he's not living in your house.

Of course he's a hard hold in dynasty, no one should be cutting him or giving him away.
What makes me sufficiently bothered by someone to not want to be associated with them on my fantasy team does not have to make sense to you, now does it?

So I take it there is litereally NOTHING that would make you disown a player?

To you I would  reply that as, you yourself say, it is just a game and it is simply not important enough to me to win that friendly game to allow some folks to rent the least bit of space from me.

In an Instagram video Wednesday, free agent Antonio Brown encouraged the Patriots to give him a call and re-sign him.

"The Patriots have to pay me," Brown said in reference to grievances filed last week against the team for unpaid signing bonus and guaranteed salary. "They may as well play me." Reports are Tom Brady wanted the Patriots to keep Brown, but owner Robert Kraft made the decision to pull the plug following rape and sexual assault accusations. This all comes two weeks after Brown tweeted he's done with the NFL. He obviously wants to come back, if someone will give him a chance. Nothing appears to be imminent.

RELATED: 

New England Patriots

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Oct 9, 2019, 12:09 PM ET

In three of my leagues AB was dropped and in all three he was picked up last week. All spent 10% FAAB on him. Is there something I don't know?

He's going to come back eventually.  Some team is always dumb enough to risk their locker room with a guy like this.  I'm looking at you, Bruce Allen.  Jerry Jones probably can't resist forever either. 

I doubt I'd roster the guy as of right now even if it didn't cost me anything. I think people are taking a shot in the dark with their last roster spot.
I just don't get it in a redraft league. Given his legal issues/burning two teams already this year/probable exempt status etc. I suppose if your team is loaded and you can let him sit there then fine. I have a few loaded teams but I'd much prefer throwing darts at upside guy's, adding quality depth, or a Defense to stream with that roster spot. Even if he did come back how long would that last?

In an Instagram video Wednesday, free agent Antonio Brown encouraged the Patriots to give him a call and re-sign him.

"The Patriots have to pay me," Brown said in reference to grievances filed last week against the team for unpaid signing bonus and guaranteed salary. "They may as well play me." Reports are Tom Brady wanted the Patriots to keep Brown, but owner Robert Kraft made the decision to pull the plug following rape and sexual assault accusations.
Kraft isn't about to forget AB's tweet about Kraft getting "caught in the parlor"

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Antonio Brown "hopes to have his playing status cleared up" in the next few weeks.

Brown said he was done with the NFL last month but has since backed off that stance. He's been staying in shape in hopes of signing with another team. Brown is facing serious violations of the personal conduct policy, but it's not clear where the NFL is in its investigation. The odd are against Brown returning this year, but it's possible he gets a second chance when his league standing is resolved.

SOURCE: ESPN

Oct 12, 2019, 11:41 AM ET

If any team signs him, even my beloved Chargers, I hope their team implodes.  He is a locker room virus, and will only serve to infect others.  If he wants to remain in the spotlight, just marry a Kardashian. 

At this point it looks like he has real issues.  He was a pretty great everything for more than a few years.

The change was pretty damn huge - and I wonder at the timeline with the Burfict hit.  That was really bad when you think of head and brain rotation dynamics.

The people around him are likely telling him to get money when he should be getting help.

I'm OK with the NFL making mistakes removing these things from football.  There are plenty of non-head injuries to go around.

At this point it looks like he has real issues.  He was a pretty great everything for more than a few years.

The change was pretty damn huge - and I wonder at the timeline with the Burfict hit.  That was really bad when you think of head and brain rotation dynamics.

The people around him are likely telling him to get money when he should be getting help.

I'm OK with the NFL making mistakes removing these things from football.  There are plenty of non-head injuries to go around.
There is a pretty significant chance that he is just a huge jerk, slowly worsening over the years.  Who knows if he has a medical issue or is just an overconfident self important dickbag.

These teams don’t care about this if he can help them win. They probably don’t care about the sexual assault either but fortunately the nfl will. 
I don't think the NFL wants to see him with a team again this year. I have a feeling this investigation is gonna last longer than it should. 

I think at this point there would be too much public backlash if a team signed him. I wouldn't want him on my Broncos and would shun them for sure if they did.

If it wasn't for his stupid tweets about Kraft and dumb instagram posts I'd say the Patriots might take him back if he was cleared. They could use him.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports Antonio Brown "hopes to have his playing status cleared up" in the next few weeks.

Brown said he was done with the NFL last month but has since backed off that stance. He's been staying in shape in hopes of signing with another team. Brown is facing serious violations of the personal conduct policy, but it's not clear where the NFL is in its investigation. The odd are against Brown returning this year, but it's possible he gets a second chance when his league standing is resolved.

SOURCE: ESPN

Oct 12, 2019, 11:41 AM ET

If any team signs him, even my beloved Chargers, I hope their team implodes.  He is a locker room virus, and will only serve to infect others.  If he wants to remain in the spotlight, just marry a Kardashian. 
Cobbler1 hopes to bang Megan Fox and Kate Upton in the next few weeks as well...

I’ve enjoyed watching AB since his days battling with Emmanuel Sanders each week for the right to be active that Sunday.

Early on, I personally witnessed AB was the last player on the field at Latrobe signing autographs for fans.

AB consistently gave the football to a fan after each of his touchdowns.

He WAS a shoe into become an all time Steeler legend

Sadly, it appears he has thrown himself into a Kaepernickesk abyss by his own hand. It’s hard to see any owner signing off on bringing AB into their fold. Despite becoming the league’s village idiot and easy target for misconduct gravy trains, I’m disappointed he might never play in the NFL again. Would love to see how he does with any team outside the steelers or patriots. 

I’ve enjoyed watching AB since his days battling with Emmanuel Sanders each week for the right to be active that Sunday.

Early on, I personally witnessed AB was the last player on the field at Latrobe signing autographs for fans.

AB consistently gave the football to a fan after each of his touchdowns.

He WAS a shoe into become an all time Steeler legend

Sadly, it appears he has thrown himself into a Kaepernickesk abyss by his own hand. It’s hard to see any owner signing off on bringing AB into their fold. Despite becoming the league’s village idiot and easy target for misconduct gravy trains, I’m disappointed he might never play in the NFL again. Would love to see how he does with any team outside the steelers or patriots. 
Crazy right? I drafted him as a rookie on my dynasty squad and watched this guy develop into the most dominant WR in the league for a long time. Never heard a peep outta Pittsburgh with him until the last few years. Something really malfunctioned in the grey matter over the last several years. I really did not see this coming at all.

Shame. 

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not ending well, nor did I ever think it would. I remember there were those in the SP who were criticizing those who stayed away from him in early drafts. How smart those people look now.

This is not ending well, nor did I ever think it would. I remember there were those in the SP who were criticizing those who stayed away from him in early drafts. How smart those people look now.
I don't know ... it was kind of a 50-50 call at the time. No one really had enough information to conclude anything about where Antonio Brown would be  several months into the future.

Unless I'm missing someone, Brown's career arc this calendar year has pretty much been unprecedented. I wouldn't blame anyone who couldn't imagine back then that it was going to turn out like it has. 

EDIT: In short, I disagree with the idea that anyone knew, say, back in May or June that this outcome was positively coming.

Antonio Brown ordered to retake deposition after 'profane' appearance

Maybe football head injuries have contributed to his unusual behavior. 
Some people keep invoking "head injuries, CTE, head injuries, CTE, etc. ..." I don't know if the connection is just that clear. Many other guys have had multiple concussions and repetitive subconcussive trauma to the head -- but Antonio Brown's actions seem to stand alone. Seems he would have had some predecessors if head injuries alone were enough to take a normal, everyday NFL player and turn him into 2019 Antonio Brown.

Looks more like a central component of his personality has been exposed after many years of remaining mostly under wraps.

I don't know ... it was kind of a 50-50 call at the time. No one really had enough information to conclude anything about where Antonio Brown would be  several months into the future.

Unless I'm missing someone, Brown's career arc this calendar year has pretty much been unprecedented. I wouldn't blame anyone who couldn't imagine back then that it was going to turn out like it has. 

EDIT: In short, I disagree with the idea that anyone knew, say, back in May or June that this outcome was positively coming.
Yeah, totally. Nobody could say that this was certain to happen. But I didn't say that. You're correct -- nobody knew it was positively coming, but I remember some of us FFA guys (from which I dissented) pooh-poohing the notion entirely that it might. I could find those quotes, but there were enough people consciously staying away from him to illustrate the two poles of the debate. Most people took the risk under advisement and drafted accordingly. (He'd slipped a good round or two.)

And my comment was really an aside, sort of serving as a warning to be inured against arguments that off-the-field stuff never matters and that stuff like this is just a labor/CBA issue, etc. It seems to me that once the CBA and player movement gets dragged into any argument about a player, his performance suffers that year.

That's broad strokes, but I can't think of a player that hasn't had a CBA/labor argument pro- or con- where a drop off hasn't happened that particular year. 

Looks more like a central component of his personality has been exposed after many years of remaining mostly under wraps.
I am very curious to know what if anything was kept under wraps by the Steelers over the years. 

The organization, Mike Tomlin and Ben were criticized for their parts in the AB departure, but honestly, it now looks to me like they almost certainly had been caring and feeding a ticking time bomb for a while at least.  Yes, I agree they enabled him in some ways, but they also got Hall of Fame numbers out of him on the field with virtually no problems for years.

Some people keep invoking "head injuries, CTE, head injuries, CTE, etc. ..." I don't know if the connection is just that clear. Many other guys have had multiple concussions and repetitive subconcussive trauma to the head -- but Antonio Brown's actions seem to stand alone. Seems he would have had some predecessors if head injuries alone were enough to take a normal, everyday NFL player and turn him into 2019 Antonio Brown.

The connection between traumatic brain injury and the pathology of CTE, is becoming well established. The pathology includes gross changes such as atrophy, and microscopic changes such some tau proteins similar to those seen in some other neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer's Disease. People like Anne McKee, the neuropathologist from BU, say they never see this pathology on postmortem exams  of such young people. 

My understanding is that more studies need to be done to definitely associate the clinical symptoms with the pathology. There are varying degrees of symptoms and pathology, and control brains of athletes without TBI are needed.

Brown could be malingering, could be symptoms of CTE, could be underlying personality. Some people develop schizophrenia later in life. 

I think we can pretty positively say that the Steelers knew they had a massive problem on their hands with AB and they needed to part ways with him. Maybe they didn’t anticipate this level of implosion, but they absolutely knew he was a developing train wreck. 

Maybe not this specific outcome but I think a significant number of people believed AB wasn't going to turn into this happy, quiet model employee with the Raiders or anyone else. I'll draft anyone at the right price but he wasn't going to be on my fantasy team this year, period.

I avoided Brown on draft day because I thought Gruden and the Raiders were going to be a trainwreck.  I figured Brown's inevitable meltdown would be out of frustration at Derek Carr.

Is anyone stashing him through the trade deadline on the off chance a team picks him back up?
I guess if teams had lots of roster spots it might be worth a shot, but AB has yet to be interviewed by the league, there seems to be talk of Brown not exactly trying to speed the investigation along, and the outstanding threat of his placement on the exempt list should a team sign him. The league isn't rushing to get AB back, AB doesn't seem to be trying to push the league to get himself back on the field, and this week will be the 6th game he's missed with seemingly very little progress being made for him to come back.

If a desperate team can’t land a trade for a WR by the deadline then AB is there as a break glass in case of emergency signing. 

A lot obviously depends on the leagues investigation

If he was going to be signed it would likely only happen immediately after the deadline has passed. 

Users who are viewing this thread