What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (4 Viewers)

I very much doubt the NFL would view the last couple months as a "de facto suspension".  When you're suspended, you have to miss games you otherwise would have been playing in.

Being unsigned/unwanted is not the same thing as being suspended.
Disagree. This similar thought process has been make the rounds on talk shows. AB wasn’t signed because the league effectively told teams he would go on the exempt list if he was rostered and teams would be paying him not to play. Unless there is something additional that the league has uncovered, IMO he will get leniency for time not playing. 

Disagree. This similar thought process has been make the rounds on talk shows. AB wasn’t signed because the league effectively told teams he would go on the exempt list if he was rostered and teams would be paying him not to play. Unless there is something additional that the league has uncovered, IMO he will get leniency for time not playing. 
Why hasn't any team signed him now, since his "de facto suspension" has been served?

Why hasn't any team signed him now, since his "de facto suspension" has been served?
Because the league hasn't signed off that they won't do anything to him. IMO, they will at some point come out and say they have investigated and unless other information comes to light they won't do anything to AB. How long do you think they won't do anything and THEN decide to punish him? That's pretty much doubling down on a punishment. 

Look at Kareem Hunt as an example. There were similar incidents with ADP and Ray Rice. They missed almost entire seasons. Hunt was initially placed on the exempt list but then released right after. He sat as a free agent for awhile, then he was signed and suspended, and he ended up missing almost a year's worth of games. Essentially, they took what previously had been a year time out (whether it be by suspension, exception, or sitting as a free agent) to come up with a similar amount of time missed. They accomplished that by suspending him for 8 games when he could have been suspended a year. In Peterson's case, they actually tried to suspend him but that got appealed and eliminated. IIRC, all three of those cases involved the police and/or video or photographic evidence.

As of now and as far as we know , we don't have any of that with AB. Do people expect that he essentially misses the 2019 season and then he will still get exempted or suspended? Teams have avoided signing him because they would have to burn the money and cap room to not have him playing, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Because the league hasn't signed off that they won't do anything to him. IMO, they will at some point come out and say they have investigated and unless other information comes to light they won't do anything to AB. How long do you think they won't do anything and THEN decide to punish him? That's pretty much doubling down on a punishment. 

Look at Kareem Hunt as an example. There were similar incidents with ADP and Ray Rice. They missed almost entire seasons. Hunt was initially placed on the exempt list but then released right after. He sat as a free agent for awhile, then he was signed and suspended, and he ended up missing almost a year's worth of games. Essentially, they took what previously had been a year time out (whether it be by suspension, exception, or sitting as a free agent) to come up with a similar amount of time missed. They accomplished that by suspending him for 8 games when he could have been suspended a year. In Peterson's case, they actually tried to suspend him but that got appealed and eliminated. IIRC, all three of those cases involved the police and/or video or photographic evidence.

As of now and as far as we know , we don't have any of that with AB. Do people expect that he essentially misses the 2019 season and then he will still get exempted or suspended? Teams have avoided signing him because they would have to burn the money and cap room to not have him playing, which doesn't make a lot of sense.
The NFL hasn't punished AB at all to this point.  He hasn't been fined a dime, and hasn't missed any time due to suspension.  He's been out of the league because of his own lunacy and toxicity, not because of any actions taken by the league office.

If the league's investigation determines he should be suspended or otherwise disciplined, then that will take effect once he's actually back in the league (if that ever happens).

This guy is a cancer.  Why any GM would want to infect their organization with this POS is beyond me.  His talent does not outweigh the headache/drama/issues he brings to a locker room. 

Like Larry Fitzgerald said, be careful what you ask for. Meaning AB had a pretty good thing going in PIT with Big Ben throwing bombs and Lev Bell. Nothing could be done about Big Ben going down, but the other two could have remained PIT steelers and they most likely would be in the playoff hunt because their defense is pretty solid. Anyway, that's all water under bridge gone bad.

Perhaps AB being shunned will knock some sense into his primadonna skull.

Fire up Chips!

Like Larry Fitzgerald said, be careful what you ask for. Meaning AB had a pretty good thing going in PIT with Big Ben throwing bombs and Lev Bell. Nothing could be done about Big Ben going down, but the other two could have remained PIT steelers and they most likely would be in the playoff hunt because their defense is pretty solid. Anyway, that's all water under bridge gone bad.

Fire up Chips!
AB could also have gone to Oakland for the guaranteed $30 million, kept his mouth shut and still been in the playoff hunt.    

Fire up Chips!
Sometimes I wonder if people forget about the salary cap. The Steelers have $600,00 of cap space. Other players currently on the roster would not be there if Brown and Bell were still there. And with Ben out, I am not sure those two would make up for the loss of Roethlisberger. Even as things stand now, PIT is only a game out of a playoff spot.

Rumors back to Patriots?  I mean again, after it was shot down by Howe the first time. 

Seems unlikely but who knows I guess. 
The first thing people would talk about if the Pats signed him would be what he said about Kraft and the massage parlor stuff. I don't see how Kraft would want to bring that up again. It also show's how stupid AB was to go down that path in the first place. That being said, the window does seem to be closing for the Patriots so I agree with who knows.

With roster spots I can spare in one of my leagues that’s a 4 keeper league with a big bench, I grabbed him this week for next year.  Someone dropped him back many weeks ago and he’s been sitting there so figured he’s worth the gamble hoping it’s figured out before next year. 

With roster spots I can spare in one of my leagues that’s a 4 keeper league with a big bench, I grabbed him this week for next year.  Someone dropped him back many weeks ago and he’s been sitting there so figured he’s worth the gamble hoping it’s figured out before next year. 
My guess is the NFL investigation is just a suspension in disguise and will be lifted after the 2019 post season and someone is sure to sign him next year.

He’s at it again today. Calling Big Ben a loser and posting old articles about Richie Incognito. 

Also calling the NFL racist.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol, calling out the union... just shotgun tweeting. Wonder if Rosenhaus is just screaming at interns asking who gave him his password back.

Have a feeling this is going to end tragically. His family should get him professional help immediately 

My choice to continue rostering this guy in a dynasty is looking worse and worse.  Any legit chance he plays again in 2020?

With the amount of money he has made in his career, I can’t believe he is nearing broke, but I’m confident without those 7 figure checks coming in every Sunday, he is realizing he needs the NFL more than they need him. 

With the amount of money he has made in his career, I can’t believe he is nearing broke, but I’m confident without those 7 figure checks coming in every Sunday, he is realizing he needs the NFL more than they need him. 
He should realize this but I highly doubt that he actually does.  

"First and foremost, I’d like to apologize to my family, friends and anyone who I offended. I never once meant to make anyone feel like I wasn’t thankful and appreciative of the opportunity that I was afforded to play the game I love."

"Guess all mighty @nfl can hold players out against there will no criminal charges pending nothing but A Caucasian player gets a domestic go to jail still out there playing targeted hate against us everywhere my peeps"

His ability to bounce between elegant prose and ghetto is remarkable. He's a latter day Robert Frost.

"First and foremost, I’d like to apologize to my family, friends and anyone who I offended. I never once meant to make anyone feel like I wasn’t thankful and appreciative of the opportunity that I was afforded to play the game I love."

"Guess all mighty @nfl can hold players out against there will no criminal charges pending nothing but A Caucasian player gets a domestic go to jail still out there playing targeted hate against us everywhere my peeps"

His ability to bounce between elegant prose and ghetto is remarkable. He's a latter day Robert Frost.
He obviously didn't write the first one. 

Users who are viewing this thread